11-15-2015 12:46 PM
164 1234 ...
tools
    Security and the Windows 10 Mobile experience. Nothing like it.
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-11-2015 09:48 AM
    Why Windows over Android?
    Okay grasshopper. Here is the abbreviated quality of life spectrum, best to worst: Windows Phone, Abstinence, Android phones.

Any other questions?
    rhapdog likes this.
    11-11-2015 10:08 AM
    Okay grasshopper. Here is the abbreviated quality of life spectrum, best to worst: Windows Phone, Abstinence, Android phones.

Any other questions?
    I see. So WP or no phone in preference to Android.

That's is personal preference. It is not reality.
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-11-2015 10:19 AM

That's is personal preference. It is not reality.
    Everyone's personal preference IS THEIR REALITY
    11-11-2015 10:21 AM
    I wasn't saying PHONE abstinence was better than using Android ;)
    rhapdog likes this.
    11-11-2015 10:23 AM
    I noticed talk of security. Do you think that the Windows brand itself may have played at least a small part in Windows Phone lack of market share? ie Windows is often associated, rightly or wrongly, with poor security in a lot of users minds.
    Jeddic and jdawgnoonan like this.
    11-11-2015 10:28 AM
    I wasn't saying PHONE abstinence was better than using Android ;)
    Just going by what you wrote... :P
    11-11-2015 10:38 AM
    I noticed talk of security. Do you think that the Windows brand itself may have played at least a small part in Windows Phone lack of market share? ie Windows is often associated, rightly or wrongly, with poor security in a lot of users minds.
    There are probably several things that reduced market share of WP and there is no one thing unfortunately.

Though let's face it Windows never had a great reputation for security and even to this day people still state that.
    11-11-2015 10:40 AM
    I'm sure it's true that many people wrongly assume that WP/WM has poor security just because desktop Windows (other than Windows RT) did. Its very ironic since WP/WM is more secure than the competition.
    11-11-2015 10:40 AM
    Everyone's personal preference IS THEIR REALITY
    Philosophy will get us nowhere... :P
    Guytronic likes this.
    11-11-2015 10:42 AM
    Not even the worst possible ROI for student loans?
    11-11-2015 10:45 AM
    No. It was just timing and Microsoft's strategy at the time. At the time when Apple and Google really pushed into the Mobile market, Microsoft were busy sitting in the boardroom with their corporate hat on, building business revenue. They didn't really catch on to just how quick the uptake was for mobile apps and expected developers to include Microsoft with open arms as soon as WP7 was released. Needless to say, this never happened and still isn't happening.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-11-2015 10:58 AM
    Microsoft were busy sitting in the boardroom with their corporate hat on
    Or Steve Ballmer was doing interviews:

11-11-2015 11:24 AM
    At the time when Apple and Google really pushed into the Mobile market, Microsoft were busy sitting in the boardroom with their corporate hat on, building business revenue.
    I always got the impression with Ballmer that he was just coasting until his eventual departure.
    11-11-2015 12:45 PM
    1. A unique UI.
    Hardly. W10M UI is a bad Android clone. Panoramas are there just because they could not be made obsolete with this release due to app dependencies.
    With Astoria we know Microsoft is programming to Android API...

2. Better performance on low end devices. (520 anyone?)
    No. The advantage of WP8 was app tombstoning. W10M manages memory different, and is going to suck for 512MB owners.

3. A seamless OneDrive integration.
    OneDrive has more features and performs better on Windows 8 and Android/iOS.

4. Microsoft apps. (OneNote, Health, Sports, Weather, etc.) Some of these apps are available for Android too, but like them better on Windows.
    All of these apps get updated more frequently on Android/iOS. Their appearance is near identical as well.

5. Continuum. Though it's potential is still untested.
    Continuum? You've been able to plug in a mouse, keyboard, and display on Android since Gingerbread. Sure UWP apps will work more natively with mouse/kb, however, implementations like Ubuntu are better for people who want a smartphone pc hybrid. People who already have a PC would most likely prefer Apple's continuity. Again, Microsoft is targeting emerging markets with Continuum. Enthusiasts and fans will probably get a kick out of it, but it will grow old quick.

6. Universal app system that makes Continuum possible.
    Ubuntu and iOS have universal app systems. Sure the implementations are different, but the end results are better than Continuum. Android has the linux kernel to leverage, and works with far more devices than Continuum will ever support.

7. CORTANA. Again they're making an Android version too, but its integration with the OS will always be better in Windows.
    They already have an Android version, and the integration (from client perspective) is just as deep. However on Android Cortana is an app, and will be updated just as frequently.

8. All that Windows 10 promises. Android and iOS app portability, actionable notifications, Skype integration and much more.
    • There is no app portability. If I were a full time Windows developer I'd cringe at the thought of Astoria/Islandwood. Microsoft should have made the converse: Develop Windows apps that are iOS/Android portable.
    • iOS/Android have actionable notifications
    • Skype app on W10M doesn't even have dialer integration like on WP8, that's why they made a new messaging app. :feelsbad: Wonder if Microsoft will rectify this for WhatsApp, ooVoo, and Viber

I did not take the time to articulate myself as this thread does not warrant the time ;)
    OP should definitely explore other OSes, and even Windows 8... Seriously
    11-11-2015 01:02 PM
    Philosophy is pretty damn important for AI. Too bad there have not been any breakthroughs... ever... XD
    11-11-2015 01:04 PM
    Philosophy is pretty damn important for AI. Too bad there have not been any breakthroughs... ever... XD
    Depends what you mean by philosophy? Some is very interesting. Some is boring and tired. To me the most important philosophy is that which is based on science and how we can interpret truths within them. So where I don't see philosophy as pointless I do see some as useless.

But this is off topic...

WP, Android, iOS... all good depending on what works for you. There, I'm agnostic. :P
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    11-11-2015 04:42 PM
    Security. No other reason required.
    11-11-2015 05:29 PM
    Easier text editing.

Its annoying to select anything on android.
    11-11-2015 05:35 PM
    Depends what you mean by philosophy? Some is very interesting. Some is boring and tired. To me the most important philosophy is that which is based on science and how we can interpret truths within them. So where I don't see philosophy as pointless I do see some as useless.

But this is off topic...

WP, Android, iOS... all good depending on what works for you. There, I'm agnostic. :P
    Morality, etc
    If we can define morality, create logic for the definition, and encode this logic, then we can create sentient robots that will not kill us ;)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-11-2015 06:48 PM
    Security of WP will only be tested when it has big market shares like the iPhone and Android and hackers start whacking it hard. I'm not so gloat about it because right now, hackers are not even interested at all.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    11-11-2015 08:37 PM
    Security of WP will only be tested when it has big market shares like the iPhone and Android and hackers start whacking it hard. I'm not so gloat about it because right now, hackers are not even interested at all.
    It's not just the potential exposure of market share that could hurt security. If a future version of W10M gets desktop capabilities, that could have a negative effect on security as well. A few of my colleagues make a living cleaning up and "disinfecting" Windows machines. If with Continuum we eventually get the capability of running desktop apps, who knows where this security thing will go?
    Laura Knotek and N_LaRUE like this.
    11-11-2015 09:15 PM
    I thought I was the delusional one out here, but 7a2eer beat me hands down. Comparing continuum to the one available with iOS. Well buddy it's the same OS. So? Cortana on Android is an app. Well guess what, it's the same case in WP. Cortana will get deeper in Android? I won't even comment in that. Android doesn't have actionable notifications. And Skype integration on Windows 10 is still in its adolescence. So your argument is moot. I know you're just offering counter points but not all of these are correct.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-11-2015 10:07 PM
    After using WP8, WP8.1, the latest W10M preview, and Android 5.1.1, and being a Microsoft fan, I can say that there's no comparison. Android is just miles ahead. I really want to see WM making a huge comeback, like a Surface Pro 3 story, but I don't see it happening next year or the year after. So for now, I'm going to put WM on back burner and enjoy the most powerful mobile OS.
    11-11-2015 11:41 PM
    After using WP8, WP8.1, the latest W10M preview, and Android 5.1.1, and being a Microsoft fan, I can say that there's no comparison. Android is just miles ahead. I really want to see WM making a huge comeback, like a Surface Pro 3 story, but I don't see it happening next year or the year after. So for now, I'm going to put WM on back burner and enjoy the most powerful mobile OS.
    WM10 is a great OS. I'm pleased with it but then I don't depend on my phone as much as you sound like you might. It mainly has to keep up with information for me, remind me of things I need to do and make calls. Not sure what android OS has to do for you but feel free to update the thread. I'm curious.
    James8561 likes this.
    11-12-2015 01:41 AM
164 1234 ...