11-15-2015 12:46 PM
164 ... 4567
tools
    He left off when you first click said links or open apps in android, you can set it as the default app at that time, or just once... just like windows. And you can change your default apps at any time. No need to have a psychotic breakdown good sir.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android, Samsung Note 4
    Oh, I've done Android.

He's touting it like it is great and must have. I am pointing out my loathing of that behavior model. Many UI models on Android drove me nuts. Part of the reason I'm no longer there is all the incessant tinkering needed to get away from the behavior models that the OS and vendors deem as necessary and which I find to be horrible. It was way more work for me to get Android to behave how I wanted than it was worth in the long run.

Sorry to all the Devs, but I don't want an App that does what my browser does. I certainly don't want to click a link in my browser and monetize someone for their App.

Maybe that's why I'm happier on Windows Phone. Less Apps actually makes me happier than more.

The tendency for each and every App to want hooks into each and every activity is maddening. You are an App, you have a function. Do that function and leave all the others alone. I want to control the functions by default, not as an interminable series of permissions trees I have to endlessly patrol.

The "permissiveness" of the OS is more curse than blessing to me. It's top down invasiveness. Don't like it. No sir.
    libra89, rhapdog and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-13-2015 06:47 PM
    Oh, I've done Android.

He's touting it like it is great and must have. I am pointing out my loathing of that behavior model. Many UI models on Android drove me nuts. Part of the reason I'm no longer there is all the incessant tinkering needed to get away from the behavior models that the OS and vendors deem as necessary and which I find to be horrible. It was way more work for me to get Android to behave how I wanted than it was worth in the long run.

Sorry to all the Devs, but I don't want an App that does what my browser does. I certainly don't want to click a link in my browser and monetize someone for their App.

Maybe that's why I'm happier on Windows Phone. Less Apps actually makes me happier than more.

The tendency for each and every App to want hooks into each and every activity is maddening. You are an App, you have a function. Do that function and leave all the others alone. I want to control the functions by default, not as an interminable series of permissions trees I have to endlessly patrol.

The "permissiveness" of the OS is more curse than blessing to me. It's top down invasiveness. Don't like it. No sir.
    I guess this comes down to user preferences. I for one prefer apps over the browser. I hated it when The Verge dropped support and pulled their app from Google Play. Their mobile website is laggy, always has been. Their app was flawless. I suppose I also see no difference in setting default apps as setting default applications in Windows. Same popup, same 1 second click done. I also love my Next 3D Launcher and widgets.
    Geodude074 and James8561 like this.
    11-13-2015 07:14 PM
    I guess this comes down to user preferences. I for one prefer apps over the browser. I hated it when The Verge dropped support and pulled their app from Google Play. Their mobile website is laggy, always has been. Their app was flawless. I suppose I also see no difference in setting default apps as setting default applications in Windows. Same popup, same 1 second click done. I also love my Next 3D Launcher and widgets.
    I prefer apps over websites as well. When I click on an Amazon link, I want it to open up in my Amazon app. When I click on a YouTube link, I want it to open up in my YouTube app. The apps are optimized for the platform, whereas the website is just a website and is slower and clunkier in comparison.
    11-13-2015 10:04 PM

I'm quite sure you are in the minority when it comes to this.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-13-2015 10:06 PM
    I guess this comes down to user preferences.
    Hence the word "Personally" being the lead in of that post of mine which you quoted. I agree it is all preference. Many users like things other than how I care for them. I was simply expressing my dislike for a behavior another was praising That's why more OS choice is better than fewer. I'm on Windows Phone, but would switch to something else if it matched me better. I wish Sailfish would make an entry into the North American market. Or that Ubuntu would have gotten their mobile act together. It took way too long to reach fruition and where is their market presence? Nowhere I can see

I've used Android, feature phones, webOS, Android, Symbian, Ubuntu Touch (flashed onto Nexus 4), iOS, Android, FireFox OS (flashed onto Nexus 4), Android, Sailfish (flashed onto Nexus 4), Android and Windows Phone.

The biggest things I've learned is no one choice is perfect, we all need more choices and expecting any OS to act like the other one you were just on is a quick trip to headache-ville. That last one ain't gonna happen. That's why I find all the "let's compare oranges and orangutans" threads not very worthwhile. Sometimes you want an orange, sometimes you want an orangutan. And if you think your orange will behave like an orangutan you are wasting your time.

I for one prefer apps over the browser. I hated it when The Verge dropped support and pulled their app from Google Play. Their mobile website is laggy, always has been. Their app was flawless.
    Since I'm sharing my dislikes, I dislike The Verge intensely. They are too self involved and each correspondent seems to be writing to the narrowest possible audience, himself or herself. Such self-centeredness is highly suspect in journalism. I have no respect for them as journalists, news sources or people because of all the "look at how important I sound" content they churn out.

I don't Mobile Web either. What a waste. I rant against that too. Why bother? What a gyp. Gimme Desktop Mode and I'm happy. Some hate Desktop Browser on a phone, I understand. But, hey; I used desktop mode on browser with HP Veer's 2.6" screen so arguments of the screen is so small I need mobile don't hold water with me. But that's me and just my warped opinion. And that brings us full circle.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 11-13-2015 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo monkey ate me vowels
    rhapdog and libra89 like this.
    11-13-2015 10:12 PM
    Maybe that's why I'm happier on Windows Phone. Less Apps actually makes me happier than more...
    I'm absolutely positive of that.
    rhapdog likes this.
    11-13-2015 10:19 PM
    In context, I have to agree with RumoredNow on this one. I like less apps as well. I prefer the browser if the site has a well designed mobile website. Websites that are clunky and difficult to load on a mobile browser are websites that just aren't coded properly. It's probably a sign of just being older, or old, or whatever. Maybe it's just the 50+ crowd that feels that way, but all the 50+ crowd I run with feel the same way. They don't use apps, or very few do. When many of them do (not me, but many), they have to get someone to help them figure it out.

And while there are apps that are "must haves" that you can't get through a web browser, like a flashlight app (built-in to the action center finally in W10M), there really aren't that many. I've got 2 games. Don't want more on my phone. Music player app. Podometer. Maps and Directions. Camera. Photos. Light Photo Editing/Enhancing (because I prefer the heavy stuff on my PC), email, calendar, MS Office. All this I have. And don't tell me Android and iOS has better office apps again, because as of Windows 10 Mobile, I've got everything I need and more in UI and in functionality and I'm not having to pay for the advanced features. I love that about Windows Mobile.

Windows 10 Mobile Start Screen. I LOVE this new start screen.

You want to know the only thing I'm missing on my Windows 10 Mobile? Continuum. Because there are times I would use it and be productive like a boss. I don't have it because the hardware isn't there yet, and I'm still putting away money for the kids' college.

My wife uses more apps than I do, and she's younger (early 30s) than I. Yet, she doesn't feel the need for "more apps" than what she's already got available. She's had fun using what's in the Windows Store.
    11-13-2015 10:21 PM
    When it comes to apps, it doesn't take lack of a bunch of them to make you hate the OS. Even missing a single popular app can do that (Snapchat, COC, etc). Some of those apps don't even have a 3rd party alternative (all the games obviously), that makes it even harder.
    11-13-2015 11:19 PM
    You missed what for me, was the determining factor in choosing Windows Phone over everything else out there. Security. Windows Phone protects my privacy better than anything else. iPhone may be close, but Windows Phone is the most secure. Between the security and affordability, I decided to make Windows Phone my choice as my first "smart phone" since I owned a Windows Mobile 5 device years ago. I never put internet on that device, and never used it on Wi-Fi, so I stayed secure with that device. I basically got the WinMo5 device for MS Office, because there was no such thing as iOS and Android back then.

If Windows Phone were to cease having the level of security that it has, then I would go back to a feature phone and only get online with my laptop.

Yeah, security may not be a factor for most, but it is for many.
    I'm a bit confused about security statement here about windows 10 and may be windows 10 mobile. I am using windows 10 on my PC right now and hugely surprised how much data is being used by windows 10 on my back. Even if i just keep PC on and not do anything, data is always being sent and received on wifi. and its really too much. I did a little digging online regarding this and found so many posts about all the used data being collectd by MS now. Cortana is there but even it keepa collecting all the data, which they say, is to improve user experience. But how do I know for sure what is being sent and for what purpose?
    11-13-2015 11:32 PM
    I'm a bit confused about security statement here about windows 10 and may be windows 10 mobile. I am using windows 10 on my PC right now and hugely surprised how much data is being used by windows 10 on my back. Even if i just keep PC on and not do anything, data is always being sent and received on wifi. and its really too much. I did a little digging online regarding this and found so many posts about all the used data being collectd by MS now. Cortana is there but even it keepa collecting all the data, which they say, is to improve user experience. But how do I know for sure what is being sent and for what purpose?
    I did find a workaround to that. Disabling BITS in services does prevent the data transfer. However, the service is required by many apps to function properly.
    11-13-2015 11:39 PM
    He left off when you first click said links or open apps in android, you can set it as the default app at that time, or just once... just like windows. And you can change your default apps at any time. No need to have a psychotic breakdown good sir.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android, Samsung Note 4
    Oh, I've done Android.

I agree with both of you. It's just a matter personal preferences.

One feature I like about Android is the ability to use Google Now to search and then choose which browser I want to open. Believe it or not, I use Firefox or Firefox Nightly more than Chrome or Chrome Beta on my Androids.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-14-2015 12:15 AM
    [WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]
    11-14-2015 01:22 AM
    I'll send you a PM with some links.
    Could you send me one as well? Would really like to see it, thank you either way.
    11-14-2015 02:24 AM
    Let me give example: I use WP & my sis uses an Android. While it was my first time owning a smart-phone(Since I'm NOKIA fan). On first day, I didn't know what to do and live tiles were confusing, so I thought why don't I spend some time, after few hours of usage, guess what? I loved the phone. After a day or two I gave my phone to sis and told her to do a test drive. The first thing she told me was WP wasn't lagging and UI/UX is confusing at first, but considering its performance its worth the trade-off. Now even my Mom is using WP who was previously accustomed to Androids saying its like using old NOKIA phones. But one downside my sister felt is apps & personalization on wp.
    So everyone one must make a trade-off in terms of performance, security or no. of apps in app store. For me, performance & security is my objective which WP delivers. For apps or its quantity of apps available, Android is the way to go.
    11-14-2015 02:43 AM
    The ability to use Android lollipop in a virtual window, to use Android apps on Windows. Still Windows is far better than Android, yet i do like Android as i carry a Samsung Note4.
    11-14-2015 03:23 AM
    I would like Windows phone to have a C# Android runtime so that users can use Android's apps and Windows Phone's apps.
    11-14-2015 03:32 AM
    I agree with LaRUE its up to personal choice I have several Windows phones running W10 my favorite green L1520 plus a Nexus 6 marshmellow 6.0 all my ms apps on there the best of both world. The arrow launcher is great on the nexus 6 I'm biased toward Microsoft but I have no problem using a pure google device just put your ms apps on there I'm open to all ecosystems.
    11-14-2015 06:57 AM
    Could you send me one as well? Would really like to see it, thank you either way.
    Since others seem to want it too, I'll go ahead and post a link so we can stop talking about it. I'd hate to derail the thread. ;)
    They are interesting.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...pUvbUpU3291480
    libra89 likes this.
    11-14-2015 06:58 AM
    My statement was about why I came to Windows Phone, which was for the security. I didn't say anything about Windows 10 or Windows 10 Mobile. I don't know how the security will finally shape up on Windows 10 Mobile, though it is looking quite good. However, security on a desktop Windows system was no the factor, because it's an illusion.

We have heard on a number of occasions about how something had been discovered on Android to exploit (even within the last few days that hits their latest Android OS), and by using JavaScript code, a website can plant malware on a users Android phone without any interaction from the user. These are usually patched by Google when reported, but the manufacturers of the different flavors of Android don't forward the patches to their users, making them rather insecure.

With Windows Phone, if you visit a web site that attempts to do it, the web site can't get any further than your "browser instance." That means, it can't get to anything outside of your browser, because the browser runs in a sandbox. When you close the browser, any offending code is wiped from the phone memory and you're clean, and no one was able to compromise your device or steal your data without your knowledge.

iOS has had exploits as well. Windows Phone is the ONLY one that has never been completely cracked to the point of being able to exploit a user. That's why the statement about security.
    tgp, RumoredNow, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    11-14-2015 07:06 AM
    My statement was about why I came to Windows Phone, which was for the security. I didn't say anything about Windows 10 or Windows 10 Mobile. I don't know how the security will finally shape up on Windows 10 Mobile, though it is looking quite good. However, security on a desktop Windows system was no the factor, because it's an illusion.

We have heard on a number of occasions about how something had been discovered on Android to exploit (even within the last few days that hits their latest Android OS), and by using JavaScript code, a website can plant malware on a users Android phone without any interaction from the user. These are usually patched by Google when reported, but the manufacturers of the different flavors of Android don't forward the patches to their users, making them rather insecure.

With Windows Phone, if you visit a web site that attempts to do it, the web site can't get any further than your "browser instance." That means, it can't get to anything outside of your browser, because the browser runs in a sandbox. When you close the browser, any offending code is wiped from the phone memory and you're clean, and no one was able to compromise your device or steal your data without your knowledge.

iOS has had exploits as well. Windows Phone is the ONLY one that has never been completely cracked to the point of being able to exploit a user. That's why the statement about security.
    Exactly! And wasn't some hacker recently quoted saying that Windows Phone was the "toughest nut to crack"?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-14-2015 07:16 AM
    However, security on a desktop Windows system was no the factor, because it's an illusion.
    I like your post and I agree with your points, but yet there's something I don't understand: why is it that people who "preach" security still use Windows desktops? If security is so important, why not use something with less exploits, such as Linux or even Mac?

Android in mobile and Windows on the desktop are very similar. They are both wide open, you can do pretty much anything, and they both have almost all of the malware in their departments. Why for Microsoft fans is this acceptable on the desktop, but not in mobile?

I use Windows (primarily) on desktop and Android (again primarily) on mobile, because I'm willing to accept the perceived risks in order to enjoy the benefits of functionality. However, if I was as concerned about security as people here seem to be, I wouldn't use either of these OS's.

Either way, even thought the risk is many times higher on Windows and Android, it is still very low. 100 times virtually nothing is still virtually nothing.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-14-2015 08:32 AM
    When apps are developed for Windows 10 and/or Windows 10 Mobile, is it mandatory that they are universal apps or are developers able to develop apps that are Desktop only?
    They are not mandatory. You can build in Visual Studio an old style desktop application or a new style universal application (.NET or HTML5 + CSS3 + JavaScript or C++ plus DirectX) which can be installed only from the Microsoft Store or from an enterprise server (with AD). If you choose the universal app, you have a new style full screen application like in Windows 8. Then if you have the Windows Mobile SDK or XBOX SDK installed you can customize the universal app for those interfaces too. Let's put it straight, if you install Visual Studio without Windows Phone options your "Universal" app will work only on desktop/laptop because you can customize it on only one platform. Microsoft is not pushing aggressively the Windows Phone SDK in Visual Studio, so this is just an optional feature there.
    11-14-2015 08:47 AM
    I would like Windows phone to have a C# Android runtime so that users can use Android's apps and Windows Phone's apps.
    I think its entirely possible but also not impossible. Java & C# does have kind-of relationships whilst using some concepts. Since APK target all devs using the same file while WP targets per device providing optimized libraries or code that is tailored for each device.
    11-14-2015 09:15 AM
    I like your post and I agree with your points, but yet there's something I don't understand: why is it that people who "preach" security still use Windows desktops? If security is so important, why not use something with less exploits, such as Linux or even Mac?

Android in mobile and Windows on the desktop are very similar. They are both wide open, you can do pretty much anything, and they both have almost all of the malware in their departments. Why for Microsoft fans is this acceptable on the desktop, but not in mobile?

I use Windows (primarily) on desktop and Android (again primarily) on mobile, because I'm willing to accept the perceived risks in order to enjoy the benefits of functionality. However, if I was as concerned about security as people here seem to be, I wouldn't use either of these OS's.

Either way, even thought the risk is many times higher on Windows and Android, it is still very low. 100 times virtually nothing is still virtually nothing.
    For me, there is a big difference between desktop and mobile when it comes to mission critical. There are really no choices for total security for desktop at this point, for one. However, by running a browser inside a sandbox behind a hardware firewall, I'm way more secure than Android could hope to be, even though even that isn't perfect.

Where is the difference? If my phone gets compromised and I'm having to do a hard reset, I may not be able to call someone for help. If my desktop is down, at least I can still make an emergency phone call. Running a report for a client can always wait or be delayed. I keep good backups. However, you can't always delay needing to make an emergency call.

As it is, I'm in the Insider program. It is a real hassle for me to go some place with Wi-Fi (I don't have it at home), then have to call my wife to let her know I'll be "unreachable" for the next few hours. What if something happens at home with the kids? I always worry. But, at least I can plan on WHEN I do this and can do it on my terms. If I were to have to do it at a very inopportune time, it would be the last straw for me.

Yes, for people who practice all the precautions and are knowledgeable about how to do so the risk is rather minimal, unless you are a public figure or have a certain job and you are being specifically targeted. I'm not that important. Still, as careful as I am, I have gotten 2 viruses within the last 10 years that were severe enough to warrant the entire HDD to be formatted. I'd say the risk would be the same or even greater using Android for someone who is careful. It's hard to know if that app you are about to install is nefarious. While Google is pretty good about what goes on the play store, a rare one can make it through undetected. At least if someone tries to write that nefarious app on Windows, they can't access all my other app data or plant code into the OS to take over the phone remotely in the way that the openness of Android can allow.

Now, understand I'm not knocking Android. Just stating yet another reason that, for ME, I'm more comfortable on Windows Phone. If Windows Phone ever becomes that insecure, then I may be just as likely to purchase a hotspot and a feature phone, and use the hotspot with my laptop. I think I could live like that. Maybe. Well, I'm not positive of that, but maybe.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-14-2015 09:21 AM
    I noticed talk of security. Do you think that the Windows brand itself may have played at least a small part in Windows Phone lack of market share? ie Windows is often associated, rightly or wrongly, with poor security in a lot of users minds.
    Windows used to be an unsecure platform until Windows XP SP3, so this thing is misleading. And Windows is still vulnerable due to desktop programs.
    But Windows Phone is some sort of Windows RT which does not need an anti-virus program because it does need one. It is secured by design. You cannot infect it because you can install programs only from Microsoft Store or from your enterprise servers.

Common people do not understand these things. And most IT professionals are in love with Linux :)
    WinCoffee and 920Walker like this.
    11-14-2015 09:25 AM
164 ... 4567