The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-15-2015 11:46 AM
164 ... 567
tools
    I have always thought that androids os is a mess.
    It is a phone in the first place and
    For me I want my phone to be clean and organized iOS and windows phone accomplish this.
    I wouldn't own an android phone for that reason alone. Just a personal preference to each his own.
    11-14-2015 09:54 AM
    First of all.... These are opinions. But isn't that the reason why we choose our OS? I use Windows 10 Mobile and used Windowsphone7.5, 8.0, 8.1 Because in my opinion it's very good and unique. There's no "Best" OS. all Os:ses have some bad things and some good things. Opinons are usually reason why we choose our OS. :)
    11-14-2015 10:40 AM
    Ngl, the reason why I'm still on WP is because of the new full screen start screen. It's just soo cool
    7a2eer, 920Walker and WinCoffee like this.
    11-14-2015 02:05 PM
    I thought I was the delusional one out here, but 7a2eer beat me hands down. Comparing continuum to the one available with iOS. Well buddy it's the same OS. So? Cortana on Android is an app. Well guess what, it's the same case in WP. Cortana will get deeper in Android? I won't even comment in that. Android doesn't have actionable notifications. And Skype integration on Windows 10 is still in its adolescence. So your argument is moot. I know you're just offering counter points but not all of these are correct.
    Android has had actionable notifications since early 2013. I'm talking about retail too, not some preview for developers build.

Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile are two different OSes. OSX and iOS are two different OSes. Problem ???

I said Cortana on Android at a --client level perspective -- is functionally equivalent to what we have on Windows 10 Mobile. Do you not have a recent Android device to test this out on? As an end user the experience is the same when running Cortana on Android. Dare I say the app "seems faster" on Android??

Skype integration had to be made because of the previous, possibly current limitations of W10M. There simply was no way to develop a Skype WinRT aka "Universal" app. If you hadn't already noticed, WP no longer takes the "hub" approach. Less integration, more apps. Integrating Skype into messaging is not consistent with their new approach on mobile.
    11-14-2015 02:44 PM
    In context, I have to agree with RumoredNow on this one. I like less apps as well. I prefer the browser if the site has a well designed mobile website. Websites that are clunky and difficult to load on a mobile browser are websites that just aren't coded properly. It's probably a sign of just being older, or old, or whatever. Maybe it's just the 50+ crowd that feels that way, but all the 50+ crowd I run with feel the same way. They don't use apps, or very few do. When many of them do (not me, but many), they have to get someone to help them figure it out.
    Us 50+ folks use "bookmarks" instead of apps. I know I do. If I have 20 bookmarks on my browser, it's 20 fewer icons I have to scroll through. Eh, what do I know? I use webOS.
    rhapdog, 7a2eer, xandros9 and 1 others like this.
    11-14-2015 04:22 PM
    You were in the HOV lane, in a limo full of friends. It was very much on topic, with an editorial feel.
    Let's get back on the highway. There's a right way and a wrong way to address this issue, and this is teetering on wrong. Get the limo to a bar and we'll discuss over some cold ones, but not here.
    RumoredNow, libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    11-14-2015 04:40 PM
    Us 50+ folks use "bookmarks" instead of apps. I know I do. If I have 20 bookmarks on my browser, it's 20 fewer icons I have to scroll through. Eh, what do I know? I use webOS.
    The only web apps I ever enjoyed using were on webOS.... RIP

I think having apps is important to the holistic experience of using smartphones, especially if you consume content like the average smartphone user.
    For those 50+ people who actually have lives it does not matter nearly as much ;)
    11-14-2015 05:01 PM
    I kinda like windows phone over that open source os. Hope that's fitting
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    11-14-2015 06:36 PM
    Good idea. This thread makes me wonder does Android or WM have the best cat herding apps?
    We need more cat herding apps like we need more fart apps. ;)

Besides, I know WP has at least one. How many do we need?
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/e?l...token=wij8P7xn
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    11-14-2015 07:30 PM
    7. Don't need Cortana on Android. Google Now works just fine.
    I have to say, Google Now on my wife's Android (Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.x) does not understand my family name--but Cortana on my Lumia 635 has zero problems with it and dials the right family member every time.

So, I am wary about "Google Now works just fine". I am especially wary given the high end Galaxy S4 vs the low end Lumia.
    v535 likes this.
    11-14-2015 09:26 PM
    Why WM10 over Android? Strictly speaking, I'd say UWP for starters. Then OneDrive integration, but hate the changes MS made to it (not to beat a dead horse). With those two, you theoretically have seamless transition between your W10 ecosystem devices.

Example: You work on your presentation on your desktop at home. Bring your mobile to the office and present at the office without having to copy the work you created to and from devices. It's all on your OneDrive. You do not have to worry about using multiple software because of UWP. The look and feel would be nearly identical from device to device. No crazy extra learning curves. The experience on your Desktop computer is similar to the on your mobile device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.).

It's a better over all experience from using an desktop at home, then having to email yourself the file and retrieve on your computer at work, or copy it to a flash drive. Granted that is easy, but OneDrive and UWP makes it even easier.

And also WM has just been acknowledged as being more secure than other phone OSes. But that's probably security through obscurity. I also like being on a rather unique platform. Using IOS and Android for so many years gets dull. I still use them, but for the time being, I prefer W10 ecosystem for the streamlining. Even though apps are lacking. I have what I really need. But those banking apps....sigh.

Everything else is fluff. Cortana, looking at you. She means well though. Glance, 3D touch, Hello, notifications, etc. I just feel no matter what MS comes up with, no one is gonna be satisfied.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-14-2015 11:35 PM
    Why WM10 over Android? Strictly speaking, I'd say UWP for starters. Then OneDrive integration, but hate the changes MS made to it (not to beat a dead horse). With those two, you theoretically have seamless transition between your W10 ecosystem devices.

Example: You work on your presentation on your desktop at home. Bring your mobile to the office and present at the office without having to copy the work you created to and from devices. It's all on your OneDrive. You do not have to worry about using multiple software because of UWP. The look and feel would be nearly identical from device to device. No crazy extra learning curves. The experience on your Desktop computer is similar to the on your mobile device (laptop, tablet, phone, etc.).

It's a better over all experience from using an desktop at home, then having to email yourself the file and retrieve on your computer at work, or copy it to a flash drive. Granted that is easy, but OneDrive and UWP makes it even easier.

And also WM has just been acknowledged as being more secure than other phone OSes. But that's probably security through obscurity. I also like being on a rather unique platform. Using IOS and Android for so many years gets dull. I still use them, but for the time being, I prefer W10 ecosystem for the streamlining. Even though apps are lacking. I have what I really need. But those banking apps....sigh.

Everything else is fluff. Cortana, looking at you. She means well though. Glance, 3D touch, Hello, notifications, etc. I just feel no matter what MS comes up with, no one is gonna be satisfied.
    You do realize that OneDrive is on all OSs and is nothing special for W10?
    11-15-2015 12:04 AM
    Unfortunately this thread has veered off-topic several times, and in order to try to keep some semblance of usefulness to the community, let's close it here.
    Last edited by Muessig; 11-15-2015 at 06:30 AM.
    11-15-2015 04:09 AM
    Unfortunately this thread has veered off-topic several times, and in order to try to keep some semblance of usefulness to the community, let's close it here.
    We tried boss.
    xandros9 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-15-2015 11:46 AM
164 ... 567