Why Windows over Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Let's all put our unconditional love for windows aside and seriously ponder the clear advantages of using Windows Phone (mobile) over Android. For me the list goes like this:

1. A unique UI.

2. Better performance on low end devices. (520 anyone?)

3. A seamless OneDrive integration.

4. Microsoft apps. (OneNote, Health, Sports, Weather, etc.) Some of these apps are available for Android too, but like them better on Windows.

5. Continuum. Though it's potential is still untested.

6. Universal app system that makes Continuum possible.

7. CORTANA. Again they're making an Android version too, but its integration with the OS will always be better in Windows.

8. All that Windows 10 promises. Android and iOS app portability, actionable notifications, Skype integration and much more.

If I missed anything (which I'm sure I did) feel free to post them.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
If you're searching for truth but what you just typed was fanboyisms about why WP is better than Android.

Choice of mobile comes down to personal use and what works for you. That is the truth. Whether one is better than the other is subjective to the individual using the device and what other devices they may be using.

So let's look at things.

1. Subjective. You can get all kinds of themes for Android so it's up to you if you want something different and unique.

2. I'll give you this one but does that really make Windows Phone better?

3. I have seamless Google Photos for my photo backup. Works flawlessly between my devices and web browser. Google Drive is also the same.

4. I have all the MS apps on Android I need. They're about equivalent or better. You're just stating preference. This is along with any other app I may want for the most part a lot not available on Windows Phone.

5. Continuum is only available for high end phones. So anyone with a low end phone will not benefit. No idea if this will change in the future but this is where it's at currently.

6. Universal apps again are only useful if you have a PC/Continuum. Meaningless to someone without one.

7. Don't need Cortana on Android. Google Now works just fine.

8. Don't need to worry about porting apps for the most part on Android as it gets the majority of apps anyway. As for the rest that's just catching up in some cases.

What a person wishes to use is up to them. I know this is a Windows fan site and I know people like to tout the superiority but I like reality. Windows 10 Mobile is still unfinished. Seems it going to stay an unfinished product for some time and there's still no proof that universal apps are going to bring the developers.

I wish the best for the platform but at this moment in time I'm happy to give it some space to grow some more before I decide to return to it.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
If you're searching for truth but what you just typed was fanboyisms about why WP is better than Android.

Choice of mobile comes down to personal use and what works for you. That is the truth. Whether one is better than the other is subjective to the individual using the device and what other devices they may be using.

So let's look at things.

1. Subjective. You can get all kinds of themes for Android so it's up to you if you want something different and unique.

2. I'll give you this one but does that really make Windows Phone better?

3. I have seamless Google Photos for my photo backup. Works flawlessly between my devices and web browser. Google Drive is also the same.

4. I have all the MS apps on Android I need. They're about equivalent or better. You're just stating preference. This is along with any other app I may want for the most part a lot not available on Windows Phone.

5. Continuum is only available for high end phones. So anyone with a low end phone will not benefit. No idea if this will change in the future but this is where it's at currently.

6. Universal apps again are only useful if you have a PC/Continuum. Meaningless to someone without one.

7. Don't need Cortana on Android. Google Now works just fine.

8. Don't need to worry about porting apps for the most part on Android as it gets the majority of apps anyway. As for the rest that's just catching up in some cases.

What a person wishes to use is up to them. I know this is a Windows fan site and I know people like to tout the superiority but I like reality. Windows 10 Mobile is still unfinished. Seems it going to stay an unfinished product for some time and there's still no proof that universal apps are going to bring the developers.

I wish the best for the platform but at this moment in time I'm happy to give it some space to grow some more before I decide to return to it.

You may be right to some extent but then again you are being a little too quick in undermining the very foundation on which Windows 10 is being built, 'One OS for all your devices'. If Microsoft plays the cards right, this might very well be the game changer.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
You may be right to some extent but then again you are being a little too quick in undermining the very foundation on which Windows 10 is being built, 'One OS for all your devices'. If Microsoft plays the cards right, this might very well be the game changer.

I'm not being quick in undermining anything. I'm just pointing out the realities.

I'll give you some of my credentials just so you know I'm not being an Android ******. I own two Windows laptop with W10. I use a Windows PC at work with Windows 7 (which will not be upgraded to W10 any time soon). I have a Surface Pro 3 and I have another laptop both with Window 8.1 I've used Windows since 3.1.. and MS products since DOS 5. To top it off I owned a L920 (well still own but don't use).

I have nothing against what MS is trying to do. I was just pointing out that if you're going to compare things be realistic about it. You cannot pick on Android for the issues with low end hardware and then tout Continuum and universal apps when on low end hardware neither are applicable (at this point) to the people using those devices.

I do hope Windows 10 turns out to be great. Currently it's rough around the edges and it shows.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Not to my way of thinking. Universal apps share the core code of the app/UI between many different form factors so that a developer squashing bugs/adding features doesn't need to maintain different deployment packages for each platform. In this way Universal apps benefit all users of the apps, not those that happen to have both a PC and a Phone/Tablet.

Yes, Windows 10 (mobile/desktop/whatever) is made to be "unfinished" in that there's no concept of and end product like we had in previous operating systems. Windows 10 is engineered to be constantly evolving and patched. A lot of people are assuming that "unfinished" means that it's sub-standard. I agree though that there's going to be some bugs and issues at launch that might take a while to ease out. If Microsoft spent the time to create an OS that everyone would be happy with, it would never get released.

La_Rue isn't undermining anything, he's simply placing his counter-points out there. He's one of the most level-headed straight-talking guys here.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Not to my way of thinking. Universal apps share the core code of the app/UI between many different form factors so that a developer squashing bugs/adding features doesn't need to maintain different deployment packages for each platform. In this way Universal apps benefit all users of the apps, not those that happen to have both a PC and a Phone/Tablet.

Yes, Windows 10 (mobile/desktop/whatever) is made to be "unfinished" in that there's no concept of and end product like we had in previous operating systems. Windows 10 is engineered to be constantly evolving and patched. A lot of people are assuming that "unfinished" means that it's sub-standard. I agree though that there's going to be some bugs and issues at launch that might take a while to ease out. If Microsoft spent the time to create an OS that everyone would be happy with, it would never get released.

La_Rue isn't undermining anything, he's simply placing his counter-points out there. He's one of the most level-headed straight-talking guys here.

Exactly my point regarding Universal apps. I appreciated the insight put forward by La_Rue, but thought that Universal App ecosystem needed defending. Really glad that people here don't mind typing a lengthy post just for the sake of giving a better view of the of the issues.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

I was thinking more along the line of universal apps with continuum feature. I do know that universal apps will benefit W10M in general. So long as the developers makes a universal app.

I had some weird issue on my W10 laptop last night. Drove me a bit nutty. It's slick looking but it has these moments where it does strange things. I understood what they meant by it being a continuous upgrade thing and there was 'no end' to development. Thing is you still want a 'finished' product to use and it's what people expect of an OS so you can use your device properly and doesn't crash regularly. I know that both Android and iOS are the same and continuous upgrades should be the norm as well as all the apps used on all platforms. They're all technically 'unfinished'.

I try. :)

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Exactly my point regarding Universal apps. I appreciated the insight put forward by La_Rue, but thought that Universal App ecosystem needed defending. Really glad that people here don't mind typing a lengthy post just for the sake of giving a better view of the of the issues.

Universal apps will only mean anything so long as the developers come. I'm not bagging the idea but there is no proof of concept currently.

They're hoping that having access to Windows PC will increase the appeal of Windows Mobile. It's a hope and one I hope they pull off being honest. There's a lot of apps I'd love to have access to on a PC which are currently mobile only based or have rather crappy web interfaces. So I do wish for this to work.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes I agree that the developers have to come on board, and it's not as if Microsoft is making that task especially difficult (you'd have to agree that Microsoft is friendlier to Apple/Google than they are to Microsoft...). The fact is that "Apps" have the perception of being mobile or tablet based programs, which leads to a little confusion when they also apply to "proper" computers. Since Windows RT sad demise, the Surface line of hardware has really picked up, generally good reviews and Windows 10 is also well received by most.

Hopefully app developers will explore the possibilities, but my pragmatic side feels that they'll probably stay in their Apple/Google comfort zone, safe in the knowledge that if people want apps, they'll buy Apple or Android hardware.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully app developers will explore the possibilities, but my pragmatic side feels that they'll probably stay in their Apple/Google comfort zone, safe in the knowledge that if people want apps, they'll buy Apple or Android hardware.

Apps have been an issue for MS from the get go and even when they got them some developers dropped support or took their time updating them.

The main issue for universal apps is the general idea behind them. Most mobile apps are made for that purpose and people feel comfortable with that idea. Moving them onto a PC seems a bit crazy to some especially to people used to phones and tablets who tout the 'death' of PCs.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, Windows Phone's success tests rests on the success of Universal App model. That's a long shot in my opinion.

You're the only person saying that. There's far more factors at play here. Microsoft isn't even aggressively chasing market share in the same way that Nokia used to when all it did was flood the market with low and mid-range phones.

Windows 10 Mobile is simply Windows 10 on another form factor. Obsessing about it as a separate entity won't really get very far.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
You're the only person saying that. There's far more factors at play here. Microsoft isn't even aggressively chasing market share in the same way that Nokia used to when all it did was flood the market with low and mid-range phones.

Windows 10 Mobile is simply Windows 10 on another form factor. Obsessing about it as a separate entity won't really get very far.

It's not like Microsoft didn't obsess. They just gave up trying.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
When apps are developed for Windows 10 and/or Windows 10 Mobile, is it mandatory that they are universal apps or are developers able to develop apps that are Desktop only?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

And by this point most of us know that Google will probably be moving in the same direction starting sometime in 2017. As someone pointed out to me, it's cheaper to develop for one platform

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
When apps are developed for Windows 10 and/or Windows 10 Mobile, is it mandatory that they are universal apps or are developers able to develop apps that are Desktop only?

it isn't mandatory, but seeing as it isn't very hard, MS is betting that most will choose to go universal. Gives you access to more users as well

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

It's up to the developers because not all apps will be "universal". For example a virus scanner app is "only" PC.
But it's made "easy" to make then (if applicable) universal.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
it isn't mandatory, but seeing as it isn't very hard, MS is betting that most will choose to go universal. Gives you access to more users as well

It's up to the developers because not all apps will be "universal". For example a virus scanner app is "only" PC.
But it's made "easy" to make then (if applicable) universal.

I figured that would be the case, because as you say, some apps just don't make sense being universal. Also those apps that only make sense on mobile, wouldn't benefit from this.

I guess if Google decides not to make the Desktop apps universal, it would just reinforce the idea that Google just doesn't want to 'help' Windows Mobile and not because of their low market share?

Rowland Jonathan1

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
2. Better performance on low end devices. (520 anyone?)

I don't agree on this anymore.I use a 520 and I can say WP8.1 made my phone run slower.Frequent crashes,automatic restarting of phone,IE crashes,tiles disappear after clearing temp files through storage sense,lagging very much to the extent I have to remove the battery and reinsert it.I used to brag WP runs very well on low end devices. That's not the case anymore.I do understand 520 is a low end phone.But the performance was much better in WP8.I'm certainly not upgrading to W10M even if its released for 520.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't agree on this anymore.I use a 520 and I can say WP8.1 made my phone run slower.Frequent crashes,automatic restarting of phone,IE crashes,tiles disappear after clearing temp files through storage sense,lagging very much to the extent I have to remove the battery and reinsert it.I used to brag WP runs very well on low end devices. That's not the case anymore.I do understand 520 is a low end phone.But the performance was much better in WP8.I'm certainly not upgrading to W10M even if its released for 520.

I haven't seen a lot of users complaining about this tho.. In any case the 520 should get w10 (officially or unofficially)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb