Why Windows over Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Philosophy is pretty damn important for AI. Too bad there have not been any breakthroughs... ever... XD

Depends what you mean by philosophy? Some is very interesting. Some is boring and tired. To me the most important philosophy is that which is based on science and how we can interpret truths within them. So where I don't see philosophy as pointless I do see some as useless.

But this is off topic...

WP, Android, iOS... all good depending on what works for you. There, I'm agnostic. :p

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Depends what you mean by philosophy? Some is very interesting. Some is boring and tired. To me the most important philosophy is that which is based on science and how we can interpret truths within them. So where I don't see philosophy as pointless I do see some as useless.

But this is off topic...

WP, Android, iOS... all good depending on what works for you. There, I'm agnostic. :p

Morality, etc
If we can define morality, create logic for the definition, and encode this logic, then we can create sentient robots that will not kill us ;)

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Security of WP will only be tested when it has big market shares like the iPhone and Android and hackers start whacking it hard. I'm not so gloat about it because right now, hackers are not even interested at all.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Security of WP will only be tested when it has big market shares like the iPhone and Android and hackers start whacking it hard. I'm not so gloat about it because right now, hackers are not even interested at all.

It's not just the potential exposure of market share that could hurt security. If a future version of W10M gets desktop capabilities, that could have a negative effect on security as well. A few of my colleagues make a living cleaning up and "disinfecting" Windows machines. If with Continuum we eventually get the capability of running desktop apps, who knows where this security thing will go?

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I thought I was the delusional one out here, but 7a2eer beat me hands down. Comparing continuum to the one available with iOS. Well buddy it's the same OS. So? Cortana on Android is an app. Well guess what, it's the same case in WP. Cortana will get deeper in Android? I won't even comment in that. Android doesn't have actionable notifications. And Skype integration on Windows 10 is still in its adolescence. So your argument is moot. I know you're just offering counter points but not all of these are correct.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
After using WP8, WP8.1, the latest W10M preview, and Android 5.1.1, and being a Microsoft fan, I can say that there's no comparison. Android is just miles ahead. I really want to see WM making a huge comeback, like a Surface Pro 3 story, but I don't see it happening next year or the year after. So for now, I'm going to put WM on back burner and enjoy the most powerful mobile OS.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
After using WP8, WP8.1, the latest W10M preview, and Android 5.1.1, and being a Microsoft fan, I can say that there's no comparison. Android is just miles ahead. I really want to see WM making a huge comeback, like a Surface Pro 3 story, but I don't see it happening next year or the year after. So for now, I'm going to put WM on back burner and enjoy the most powerful mobile OS.

WM10 is a great OS. I'm pleased with it but then I don't depend on my phone as much as you sound like you might. It mainly has to keep up with information for me, remind me of things I need to do and make calls. Not sure what android OS has to do for you but feel free to update the thread. I'm curious.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Simply because the design is better and I can't stand the google way of life. It sickens me and I cringe a bit anytime I have to use my friends android. OS is not fluid.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Morality, etc
If we can define morality, create logic for the definition, and encode this logic, then we can create sentient robots that will not kill us ;)

Mortality is a difficult concept. There's varying degrees within humans of what morality is so to try and define it for AI on a complex level would be difficult.

It would be best to keep that simple within the AI concept (like 'do no harm to anything') but of course if you're going down the road of creating 'learning' machines, then you may have the issue of them coming up with their own ideas of what morality is. Which is part of the issues with AI. We could be seen as less moral than their superior morality which gives them justification for our extermination. That's a dark view of course but let's face it, just look at the world currently and ask yourself how 'good' do humans look if you were to view it from an alien perspective. The simple answer is, not very. If you can take the past into consideration then you could say, better than before but still not great.

The simplest way of dealing with AI is having a remote kill switch built in which they don't know about. That's the simplest way of dealing with this issue. Sometimes the easiest solution is to destroy it before it destroys you. Simple survival instinct.

It's an interesting conversation but it's way off OP... :p

Icezickle

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
Because Windows is BEYOND awesome & Android is BEYOND boring *yawn*... Everything is sleek, smooth, and fluid on Windows and Android is just......just.....i can't seem find the words...

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Because Windows is BEYOND awesome & Android is BEYOND boring *yawn*... Everything is sleek, smooth, and fluid on Windows and Android is just......just.....i can't seem find the words...

That again is personal opinion. What works for you doesn't work for someone else.

This initial OP was an opinion 'with supposed' back up as to why Windows was better than Android. All we seem to be getting on here now is personal opinions instead of any valid reasoning.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 Mobile is still unfinished

No OS is finished or perfect. every OS has so much to improve. Android has lots and lots of things to improve. it is far far behind windows phones in terms of security. still the total Android UI is a mess. Again it is just a personal preference as u stated. for what I do android feels very basic and unfinished. but for what you do WPs would feel the same.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
No OS is finished or perfect. every OS has so much to improve. Android has lots and lots of things to improve. it is far far behind windows phones in terms of security. still the total Android UI is a mess. Again it is just a personal preference as u stated. for what I do android feels very basic and unfinished. but for what you do WPs would feel the same.

Yes I know no OS or app for that matter is 'finished'. I did state that in an earlier post.

I'm fairly agnostic when it comes to OS. I use Android because it suits me. Nothing against WP. I did own a L920 (still own don't use) until it became unusable and I got tired of not having what I wanted in the way of apps.

I also tired of the 'it'll get better' mantra. I'm not saying I'll never go back to Windows Mobile but at this moment in time it doesn't suit me. I don't find the Android UI any more messy than I found Symbian. Sure it can use some tweaking but it feels more 'computer' to me than Windows and I guess maybe I'm a bit old school that way. I don't need flash but function. Though flash is available if you want it.

abhinavsaprey

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
I see this " W10 is an unfinished OS" thrown many times around in these forums. But weren't the earlier versions also unfinished?? If they were, then why did windows XP needed service pack 1,2,3 and also W7 needed sp1 to either add new features or fix existing bugs?

Every major build that MS will release to consumers(not previews) will ultimately be finished untill they release another one.

Just my two cents...

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Sure it can use some tweaking but it feels more 'computer' to me than Windows and I guess maybe I'm a bit old school that way.

How I feel. It does feel more "old school" computer. Looks like Windows 3.1 with all those static icons. ;) Yes, yes, the wink signifies I am just joking. And, yes, it is way more advanced than Windows 3.1. It's a joke.

People, let's all keep in mind here that arguing over whether Android or WP or W10M or even iOS is better is nothing but personal preference. You'll never convince everyone else that you're right, because your right is your opinion, just as their right is their opinion.

The way I see things is this: Use the tool that fits YOU best. If you prefer the fluid feel of Windows Phone or W10M or whatever, that's great! If you prefer the feel and function of Android, that's great, too! If you'd rather use an iPhone, well, we'll keep you in our prayers... um.. I mean that's great as well! (yes, more humor. Let's lighten up in the topic a bit.)

The way things are headed in the thread, I'm afraid we'll be hating each other soon instead of making friends, and I for one would rather make friends, even if those friends use a different phone. At the end of the day, no matter what super powers it has, it is still just a phone that you can make calls with, and everyone will have a different opinion on what works best. It's okay to have different opinions.

Sorry to take it off topic. Now let's get back on topic, and keep it real, please.

What is the topic?
Let's all put our unconditional love for windows aside and seriously ponder the clear advantages of using Windows Phone (mobile) over Android. For me the list goes like this:
Notice the OP stated, "For me the list goes like this:"
The OP never stated he was giving hard evidence. When he states, "For me," the OP means his personal preference. This got derailed early as it was misunderstood, so let's get back on the actual track.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Morality, etc
I hope that never happens. Westworld and Terminator would have sucked if the robots were harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077