Why Windows over Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
How I feel. It does feel more "old school" computer. Looks like Windows 3.1 with all those static icons. ;) Yes, yes, the wink signifies I am just joking. And, yes, it is way more advanced than Windows 3.1. It's a joke.

People, let's all keep in mind here that arguing over whether Android or WP or W10M or even iOS is better is nothing but personal preference. You'll never convince everyone else that you're right, because your right is your opinion, just as their right is their opinion.

The way I see things is this: Use the tool that fits YOU best. If you prefer the fluid feel of Windows Phone or W10M or whatever, that's great! If you prefer the feel and function of Android, that's great, too! If you'd rather use an iPhone, well, we'll keep you in our prayers... um.. I mean that's great as well! (yes, more humor. Let's lighten up in the topic a bit.)

The way things are headed in the thread, I'm afraid we'll be hating each other soon instead of making friends, and I for one would rather make friends, even if those friends use a different phone. At the end of the day, no matter what super powers it has, it is still just a phone that you can make calls with, and everyone will have a different opinion on what works best. It's okay to have different opinions.

Sorry to take it off topic. Now let's get back on topic, and keep it real, please.

What is the topic?

Notice the OP stated, "For me the list goes like this:"
The OP never stated he was giving hard evidence. When he states, "For me," the OP means his personal preference. This got derailed early as it was misunderstood, so let's get back on the actual track.

Spot on!!! I was hoping that the thread will progress with different users posting clear advantages of using WP over Android 'according to them'. I just wanted that inner voice buzzing inside me, asking me to switch to Android (COC addiction), dampened and butchered. I did manage to achieve that to some extent, thanks to the amazing responses from amazing people. May the Force be with you all. (Star Wars season)

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
If you're searching for truth but what you just typed was fanboyisms about why WP is better than Android.

Choice of mobile comes down to personal use and what works for you. That is the truth. Whether one is better than the other is subjective to the individual using the device and what other devices they may be using.

So let's look at things.

1. Subjective. You can get all kinds of themes for Android so it's up to you if you want something different and unique.

2. I'll give you this one but does that really make Windows Phone better?

3. I have seamless Google Photos for my photo backup. Works flawlessly between my devices and web browser. Google Drive is also the same.

4. I have all the MS apps on Android I need. They're about equivalent or better. You're just stating preference. This is along with any other app I may want for the most part a lot not available on Windows Phone.

5. Continuum is only available for high end phones. So anyone with a low end phone will not benefit. No idea if this will change in the future but this is where it's at currently.

6. Universal apps again are only useful if you have a PC/Continuum. Meaningless to someone without one.

7. Don't need Cortana on Android. Google Now works just fine.

8. Don't need to worry about porting apps for the most part on Android as it gets the majority of apps anyway. As for the rest that's just catching up in some cases.

What a person wishes to use is up to them. I know this is a Windows fan site and I know people like to tout the superiority but I like reality. Windows 10 Mobile is still unfinished. Seems it going to stay an unfinished product for some time and there's still no proof that universal apps are going to bring the developers.

I wish the best for the platform but at this moment in time I'm happy to give it some space to grow some more before I decide to return to it.

I disagree with most of your points. You say that 1. is subjective, which it is to a point, but there are no themes that make Android look like Windows. 2. Absolutely makes WP better, as both WP and Android are sold on low-end devices. 3 Google photos is ok, but I've heard many complaints about it. It also is only available on Google services Android phones. 4 This one I would agree with you, MS has done a good job of making their apps available. 5 Continuum is available on every Windows 10 device. Continuum is probably not what you think it is. 6 Universal apps are great if you're a developer, and give users the advantage of less fragmentation. If you buy a smaller distro of Android (I own an AndroidTV device) app support is generally not as good because apps don't necessarily run every with the same code.

I think you were probably thoughtful in your reply, but I don't think you've taken all the factors into account.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
That again is personal opinion. What works for you doesn't work for someone else.

This thread is about why you like WP over Android. She gave her reason, which in most cases is personal opinion. That doesn't make it any less valid, as you said what she likes other people may not, but they also may.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I disagree with most of your points. You say that 1. is subjective, which it is to a point, but there are no themes that make Android look like Windows. 2. Absolutely makes WP better, as both WP and Android are sold on low-end devices. 3 Google photos is ok, but I've heard many complaints about it. It also is only available on Google services Android phones. 4 This one I would agree with you, MS has done a good job of making their apps available. 5 Continuum is available on every Windows 10 device. Continuum is probably not what you think it is. 6 Universal apps are great if you're a developer, and give users the advantage of less fragmentation. If you buy a smaller distro of Android (I own an AndroidTV device) app support is generally not as good because apps don't necessarily run every with the same code.

I think you were probably thoughtful in your reply, but I don't think you've taken all the factors into account.

Actually there is a theme that makes Android like Windows Phone. Actually I think there's a couple. But why do I want that? I didn't move to Android to have a WP.

Did I miss something about Continuum? From what it says here: Continuum | Windows Central I think I was pretty much on the ball.

I'm not going to bother replying to everything again....

Look, mobile experience is subjective and you can disagree with me all you want but unless you can point out a very good reason for me (not your personal opinion) to purchase a W10M device I'm not going to.

What Android does for me it does really well and at this moment that's all that matters to me. I have a great phone with excellent battery and all the apps I could want to either use, try or buy. To me, that's a great experience. I like having a device that gives me what I want. Windows Phone/mobile didn't and still doesn't have that.

I'm not saying it won't have that but currently and in the near future it won't.

I owned a L920. I went through almost two years of using it (which was getting painful each month) and waiting for a great second phone. It didn't show. So I first bought an Android tablet to see if I would like it. A test. Then I bought the phone. I've been happy ever since because I have a smooth experience between the two devices.

I don't buy low end devices and I won't buy non Google oriented devices because you'll be missing out on things and lack the security that using Google services has. People who typically have issues with Android are those who muck around with it and use cracked software. I'm happy using what I have.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
This thread is about why you like WP over Android. She gave her reason, which in most cases is personal opinion. That doesn't make it any less valid, as you said what she likes other people may not, but they also may.

The title should be corrected. 'Why I want Windows over Android?" That would have made more sense. Instead we have a general question which makes people reply otherwise.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Android isn't that cringe worthy. :p I use it daily and I smile a lot. :D <- see

I do quite a bit. I use a midrange device presently and while the performance is nowhere as good as my old1520, it is decent. Having to use a midrange android phone or even a low end is a mess.

I was a diehard android ****** until 2012 and I briefly actually used android for about three weeks earlier this year when I had broke my phone and I didn't feel like buying anything. It was the last gen google nexus. While the os has improved a lot since I used it in 2012, it is still not that great to me and the fact is that using a theme on my phone is not something I want.

The OS is boring, I find most of google services subpar, and I find it sad that when using android you have to settle for either google version or oem version android and the User experience is inconsistent.

That's androids biggest issue. Idc about apps all that much simply because I am 20 and I am a productive individual and I don't need to sit around using the latest trend. Even when I had the iphone which I find to be far superior to android, I still didn't care.

For all the apps android has, the fact that even In 2015,it still lags doing simple task is sad. The fact that it needs all the crazy specs because the OS itself is still not refined is sad. The fact that for individuals like my friend who don't want to pay top dollar, there aren't many quality choices for an android phone at $80

He rock a lumia 640, I suggested at Walmart the other day and the first thing he said was....oh thank god. I haven't ran out of memory.

People are always like "oh you can just disable apps." Funny how the most powerful OS, can not uninstall bloat apps. Android feels like a walking advertisement and not a quality product.

But that's great if it works for you.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Let's not go out of our way to find reasons to disagree.

The Title? Seriously?

I could suggest 1001 differentiations on the title. We all know by it's very nature such a topic is highly subjective. Does that need to be spelled out to reasonable persons?

Each finds what he or she likes to use and uses it, hopefully. Discussion is fine. People like THEIR tech.

Talk about your tech and discuss its merits or the detractions of some other tech.

If we have to discuss the title we are all too far apart and the thread will just get closed. It really isn't worth all the fuss.

Reference "reasonable persons" as a starting point before continuing here. I really don't feel like editing a bunch of posts. That gets unreasonable rather quickly. Much easier to just cut out huge swaths and close it down. See my reason?

*mumbles about not being able to keep nice things left out*[/WARN]

derailed_by_isthedodge-d4jjx5p.jpg

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
But that's great if it works for you.

Appreciate that.

I could say negatives about pretty much all the OSs. They all have their issues. That's why I don't like to get into 'my OS is superior' thinking.

I might be pro Android but I'm not doing it to start OS wars or anything but it's because I get tired of the usual noise about Android. I get you're over it and that's fine. If WP works of you great. It didn't for me.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
WM10 is a great OS. I'm pleased with it but then I don't depend on my phone as much as you sound like you might. It mainly has to keep up with information for me, remind me of things I need to do and make calls. Not sure what android OS has to do for you but feel free to update the thread. I'm curious.

Here's a few things I do with my Android devices. Not sure if you can do the same on WM10.

- Turn my phone into a portable super-emulator. NES, SNES, GBA, Sega, MAME, etc.
- Stream PC games onto my Shield (not a phone but still Android).
- Use Kodi to turn any Android device into a mini media server.
- Download torrents using BitTorrent, no need to transfer files from PC to phone when I can just put it right on my phone.
- Root access to all my files so I can easily modify their contents. I like giving myself unlimited lives/money in mobile games lol.

I have a Moto X, here's why I chose Moto over all other OEMS.

- Moto assist gestures, like twisting the phone to open the camera, karate chop for flashlight, waving your hand over the phone to turn it on.
- Active display, I don't need to turn on my phone to check notifications.
- Always listening, once again I don't need to turn on my phone for voice commands.
- Customizable phrases for voice commands, my phrase is "Hey Butthead!"
- Customizable accessories. My phone is made out of wood, heck yeah.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Here's a few things I do with my Android devices. Not sure if you can do the same on WM10.

Nice attitude introducing your post. I'd like to address a few, but not all. I'm not knowledgeable about all, and some I don't really care about, so I'll address a few.
- Turn my phone into a portable super-emulator. NES, SNES, GBA, Sega, MAME, etc.
Sounds cool. I have tried this, and I hate playing games on a small screen. My eyesight is bad, so I won't play a game on less than a 15" screen, and I prefer a minimum of 24". It's usually either 24" or 32". I used to use DOSBox on my old Windows Mobile 5, and ran all the old games like Duke Nukem, Quake, etc., but that was when my eyesight was better and I was a bit younger. ;)

Sometimes little things like that make a big difference. I'm just getting too old for it. ;)

- Download torrents using BitTorrent, no need to transfer files from PC to phone when I can just put it right on my phone.
Well, there are torrent downloaders for Windows Phone as well. Same thing.
- Root access to all my files so I can easily modify their contents. I like giving myself unlimited lives/money in mobile games lol.
That is a lot of fun for tinkerers. I know. I love to tinker. At least I used to. I've given it up over the last few years. It was great on my desktop, but I never really wanted that on a phone. I opted for security on the phone, and the ability to tinker on my Desktop, since my desktop was powerful enough to have a good firewall and virus protection. I don't want virus protection on my phone, because it just slows it down.

This is an intentional block on Microsoft's part. It's one of many reasons why Windows Phone is secure. If you can't access every file, you can't break it open, run viruses, steal user data, etc. Game developers must be upset that users can do this to avoid having to pay to get more game money. It may make Windows 10 an attractive alternative later for PC games through the store, since people won't be able to cheat as easily. Then again, I use Cheat Engine, and I've been able to do that with universal app games that sync with OneDrive to my phone, which gives me pretty good stuff on the phone when I pick up the game there. ;) Yeah, people that want to can always find a way. But the game has to sync progress to the cloud across devices.

Not picking on you on that point. Just stating we each have our own reason for liking different sides of that coin. Nothing wrong with that. I understand the appeal of tinkering. I started doing the tinkering in the 1970s. I've had enough finally. ;)

- Active display, I don't need to turn on my phone to check notifications.
Yep. It's called glance screen. Got that on WP. Not every model, but several models. My 640 does it.
- Always listening, once again I don't need to turn on my phone for voice commands.
Yep. Called "Hey, Cortana!" Not supported on all models.
- Customizable phrases for voice commands, my phrase is "Hey Butthead!"
I tried that. Cortana called me Beavis. She may have outsmarted me on that one, but she was no match for me at kick-boxing. (Kidding. None of what was said in this section is true. I only responded because I wanted to respond to your "funny" with a "funny". I hate being left out on that.)
- Customizable accessories. My phone is made out of wood, heck yeah.
I actually found a wooden replacement case for my 640. Well, Bamboo actually. Looked cool, but not what I was looking for. I really like the customizable cases for the Lumia 950 and 950XL, though. Have you seen those Mozo cases? Metal trim with leather backs? Really cool. That's what I want, but I want a hole where it shows the Microsoft Logo so it doesn't cover up the logo.

Anyway, nice list you've got there.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
WM10 is a great OS. I'm pleased with it but then I don't depend on my phone as much as you sound like you might. It mainly has to keep up with information for me, remind me of things I need to do and make calls. Not sure what android OS has to do for you but feel free to update the thread. I'm curious.

Honestly, Android is the Windows (desktop) of mobile. It's wide open and extremely powerful.

1. Performance
I'm using a Galaxy Note 5 and with 4 GB RAM and a 8-core CPU, there's 0 loading, 0 lag, and never a resuming screen. Everything loads instantly, switching apps is instant, and apps don't lose your place when you switch. Most importantly, the Samsung Internet browser is extremely fast, and it saves your login passwords so you only need to touch fingerprint to sign in to websites, this is truly next gen.

2. Play Store
With 1.6 million apps since July 2015 (more now), everything is here.

3. Microsoft apps and services
Are simply much much better than on WM. Everything is available, and extremely fast. Office is full featured. Skype is fast. The Microsoft account app is one of a kind and is the pinnacle of 2-factor authentication convenience. Cortana runs great too.

4. Links open in app instead of browser
Click on a Wikipedia link on a Bing search? official Wikipedia app opens to that article. Click on a YouTube video? official YouTube app opens the video. Heck click on a windowscentral link and the WC app will open to show you the article.

5. Adguard
System-wide ad blocking. enough said

6. Widgets
Like live tiles on steroid

8. Continuu...eh
Samsung Connect apps allow a wired or Wifi connected Galaxy to project the phone's screen onto your PC. Send texts, answer calls directly from your computer, just like Apple Continuity, and maybe Windows Continuum next....year?

7. Automate my world
Wants your phone to automatically increase music volume, open the car dashboard app, keeps itself unlocked, turn off notification sound, automatically respond to incoming texts, and everything else the moment you turn on your car? Car Dashdroid and Tasker does it all. I also use NFC Tools to make NFC tags, like one in my room set to turn on Wi-Fi, turn down sound volume, enable auto sync, and say "Welcome back!" whenever I get home and set my phone to my desk. And one near my door that turns off Wi-Fi, turn up volume, for when I go out.
Super convenient, almost futuristic.

Nothing can really compete with these features. No wonder why Android is on the vast majority of mobile devices.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
It really does depend on what you use your phone for.

It's obvious Android has all the apps, but at some rare times it will freeze or just hiccup to the point where I have to reboot or just give it a minute to force close. It was one of my biggest pet peeve's about Android.

Windows Phone seem to have the simplistic and nicer interface and was always rather smooth. The problem for me is that it doesn't have Sony Playmemories app so I can sync my photos from my DSLR. It doesn't have SNAPCHAT! (I honestly don't care though). It doesn't let me download Firefox for all of my favorites/tabs etc. Oh and it doesn't sync to my car radio and allow me to skip tracks on the radio itself.

I think those are the only things I will miss the most. I really want my play memories app though....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, Android is the Windows (desktop) of mobile. It's wide open and extremely powerful.

1. Performance
I'm using a Galaxy Note 5 and with 4 GB RAM and a 8-core CPU, there's 0 loading, 0 lag, and never a resuming screen. Everything loads instantly, switching apps is instant, and apps don't lose your place when you switch. Most importantly, the Samsung Internet browser is extremely fast, and it saves your login passwords so you only need to touch fingerprint to sign in to websites, this is truly next gen.

2. Play Store
With 1.6 million apps since July 2015 (more now), everything is here.

3. Microsoft apps and services
Are simply much much better than on WM. Everything is available, and extremely fast. Office is full featured. Skype is fast. The Microsoft account app is one of a kind and is the pinnacle of 2-factor authentication convenience. Cortana runs great too.

4. Links open in app instead of browser
Click on a Wikipedia link on a Bing search? official Wikipedia app opens to that article. Click on a YouTube video? official YouTube app opens the video. Heck click on a windowscentral link and the WC app will open to show you the article.

5. Adguard
System-wide ad blocking. enough said

6. Widgets
Like live tiles on steroid

8. Continuu...eh
Samsung Connect apps allow a wired or Wifi connected Galaxy to project the phone's screen onto your PC. Send texts, answer calls directly from your computer, just like Apple Continuity, and maybe Windows Continuum next....year?

7. Automate my world
Wants your phone to automatically increase music volume, open the car dashboard app, keeps itself unlocked, turn off notification sound, automatically respond to incoming texts, and everything else the moment you turn on your car? Car Dashdroid and Tasker does it all. I also use NFC Tools to make NFC tags, like one in my room set to turn on Wi-Fi, turn down sound volume, enable auto sync, and say "Welcome back!" whenever I get home and set my phone to my desk. And one near my door that turns off Wi-Fi, turn up volume, for when I go out.
Super convenient, almost futuristic.

Nothing can really compete with these features. No wonder why Android is on the vast majority of mobile devices.

All that didn't even touch the question I asked. I felt like either you missed my question or felt this was the time to deliver a complete soliloquy from every android article ever published by google. Maybe its simply the fact its has a big app store and that in itself replaces intelligence and common sense. A lot of people talk like that and if this isn't necessarily you, my bad. but all I was asking you was what do YOU do with a smart phone? I could give a dog gone about it's spec or that snap chat is available. Just asking what to YOU do with your phone. Its a tough question I know but I have two advanced degrees and 3 certifications so humor me. I'll get it however you choose to explain it.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hahaha. I would have written LOL, but then you would give me a lecture too :D
No, but Professor Kenilworth might have.

(if you don't know the reference let it go. It predates the internet and I've only ever seen one search hit and it said the exact OPPOSITE of the reality)

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Mortality is a difficult concept. There's varying degrees within humans of what morality is so to try and define it for AI on a complex level would be difficult.

It would be best to keep that simple within the AI concept (like 'do no harm to anything') but of course if you're going down the road of creating 'learning' machines, then you may have the issue of them coming up with their own ideas of what morality is. Which is part of the issues with AI. We could be seen as less moral than their superior morality which gives them justification for our extermination. That's a dark view of course but let's face it, just look at the world currently and ask yourself how 'good' do humans look if you were to view it from an alien perspective. The simple answer is, not very. If you can take the past into consideration then you could say, better than before but still not great.

The simplest way of dealing with AI is having a remote kill switch built in which they don't know about. That's the simplest way of dealing with this issue. Sometimes the easiest solution is to destroy it before it destroys you. Simple survival instinct.

It's an interesting conversation but it's way off OP... :p

Defining harm is a difficult task. If you haven't already, you should check out some of Asimov's stories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_series_(Asimov)

Computer Scientists today use fuzzy logic to program AIs. I think a giant truth table would be more reliable, but this would require an objective morality, and it would have to be understood. Depending on which book you believe in (if you believe in a religion at all), human society has been "cleansed" by God throughout the ages.
Assuming God acts objectively (of course, right?), and robots are encoded with accurate objective moralities, there may be a chance robots would want to eradicate some societies.

Way off topic but I tried keeping my ranting to a minimum ;))

P.S: Robots are going to kill us!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786