Why Windows over Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I actually found a wooden replacement case for my 640. Well, Bamboo actually. Looked cool, but not what I was looking for. I really like the customizable cases for the Lumia 950 and 950XL, though. Have you seen those Mozo cases? Metal trim with leather backs? Really cool. That's what I want, but I want a hole where it shows the Microsoft Logo so it doesn't cover up the logo.
I know I'm derailing, but ooh do you remember where you found the wooden back or case at? It sounds interesting.

I guess to make my post relevant, I really like the fact that there's even the option to just change the back anytime you feel like. I know that's not the case for all, but it's nice when it comes to wanting some individuality or a slight tweak to your phone.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
All that didn't even touch the question I asked. I felt like either you missed my question or felt this was the time to deliver a complete soliloquy from every android article ever published by google. Maybe its simply the fact its has a big app store and that in itself replaces intelligence and common sense. A lot of people talk like that and if this isn't necessarily you, my bad. but all I was asking you was what do YOU do with a smart phone? I could give a dog gone about it's spec or that snap chat is available. Just asking what to YOU do with your phone. Its a tough question I know but I have two advanced degrees and 3 certifications so humor me. I'll get it however you choose to explain it.
Well I basically just listed most things that I do with the phone. I'm not sure what's so confusing about that lengthy list. maybe it's too long for you? Let me simplify it

1. I use the super fast browser.
2. I download a lot of apps from play store
3. I use a lot of Microsoft apps and services on android, which are better than on WM
4. I like how when I click a link in the browser it opens in the corresponding app
5. I use adguard to block ads
6. I use widgets
7. I connect my phone to my PC to text with a real keyboard
8. I use tasker and NFC automations.

I just thought of one more
9. I use WP Launcher to make my phone looks like a WP when I feel like live tiles :p

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
9. I use WP Launcher to make my phone looks like a WP when I feel like live tiles :p

1. Firefox on Android has full plugin support. Often times WC kills Edge due to slow loading advertisements. Firefox on my Shield Portable has uBlock installed ;)

9. WP Launcher sucks and you know it :p

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I think you meant PLACE. /dictionary
View attachment 116080

0Dbqet2.gif

sarangbk309

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
For starters Microsoft is offerings life time updates for each of your phone. Not like android where update depends on the manufacturer. Motorola is updating MOTOG 2&3 to marshmallow but not motoG1. And that is the case with most of them. In the life time of your cell you can only get 1 or 2 major update but not more than that and then they expect you to buy new phone for new os which is ridiculous as it is going to end up in same way.
Also most importantly not everyone likes to waste their valuable time on playing games and keep checking apps on play store. All the important apps that one need are already there on windows phone. I got more than 150 apps on my Lumia and never get stuck because there are no apps which I need.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Well, while I like the IDEA and the UI of Windows Phone... when it comes down to it, any time I start using an App I downloaded from Android that I like, I see if it's available on WP. Nope. Never is.

Part of the reason I'm learning programming is because I'll be starting a company soon with an app myself and others are brainstorming. I'm actually planning to develop on iOS first, then Android... then WP... maybe. Will have to see if that's where the money is at because that's what it comes down to... money.

Hoangboy

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
-performance of Android phones on Qualcomm S4xx, S6xx chipset are sluggish
-file management is chaos, wtf is emulator/sd/ ..... sdcard/external/sd ..........
-use an Android phone is like living in a party room after the party, simply messy

by the way, W10 PC continue to disappoint, my PC crashs more often than ever, do not know who to blame, MS or AMD ( A10-6790K with 8GB RAM )

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
-performance of Android phones on Qualcomm S4xx, S6xx chipset are sluggish
-file management is chaos, wtf is emulator/sd/ ..... sdcard/external/sd ..........
-use an Android phone is like living in a party room after the party, simply messy

by the way, W10 PC continue to disappoint, my PC crashs more often than ever, do not know who to blame, MS or AMD ( A10-6790K with 8GB M )

To be a contrarian, my W10 laptop I am pounding out code on is rock solid and never crashes unless I overheat it via the Boink GPU setting

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android, Samsung Note 4

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Let's all put our unconditional love for windows aside and seriously ponder the clear advantages of using Windows Phone (mobile) over Android. For me the list goes like this:

1. A unique UI.

2. Better performance on low end devices. (520 anyone?)

3. A seamless OneDrive integration.

4. Microsoft apps. (OneNote, Health, Sports, Weather, etc.) Some of these apps are available for Android too, but like them better on Windows.

5. Continuum. Though it's potential is still untested.

6. Universal app system that makes Continuum possible.

7. CORTANA. Again they're making an Android version too, but its integration with the OS will always be better in Windows.

8. All that Windows 10 promises. Android and iOS app portability, actionable notifications, Skype integration and much more.

If I missed anything (which I'm sure I did) feel free to post them.

dont forget software updates,... they are rare amongst low and mid range android phones

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, while I like the IDEA and the UI of Windows Phone... when it comes down to it, any time I start using an App I downloaded from Android that I like, I see if it's available on WP. Nope. Never is.

Part of the reason I'm learning programming is because I'll be starting a company soon with an app myself and others are brainstorming. I'm actually planning to develop on iOS first, then Android... then WP... maybe. Will have to see if that's where the money is at because that's what it comes down to... money.
You are the exact kind of person I want to hear from. MIcrosoft implies it will be trivial to port an app from iOS and almost as easy from Android. They made a big deal how Candy Crush source code was literally unchanged. So I want to hear what real developers who have done it say about how easy it is for THEIR apps..

mnsiw

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I use OneDrive, Outlook.com, OnteNote and Office, thought they'll be better on WP, unfortunately it's not the case, all these MS services are lot better on Droid Mini (KitKat) instead of Lumia 535 (W10M), other apps are also more polished and responsive on Droid, connectivity with Mac / PC simpler and fast on Droid while there's no connectivity to Mac for Lumia for now, I know Window Mobile App for Mac but it's no more, they have pulled out it from iTune.

NOLATechy

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully app developers will explore the possibilities, but my pragmatic side feels that they'll probably stay in their Apple/Google comfort zone, safe in the knowledge that if people want apps, they'll buy Apple or Android hardware.

The problem I have with this logic is that app developers aren't stupid. They are in the business of creating apps for the sole purpose of selling them on Apple and Google's stores. When you factor in the ENORMOUS potential sales on Windows 10 for ALL devices (litterally BILLIONS of devices worldwide), app developers would be extremely stupid to pass that kind of potential sales market up. In the first month alone, Windows 10 was installed on over 112 million devices and it keeps growing every day. Additionally, Enterprise will jump onboard and upgrade business devices to Windows 10 adding an expendential amount of devices. App developers may be a bit reluctant at the moment, but they won't be able to ignore that kind of market share much longer. A friend of mine who develops apps for both Apple and Google stores, reached out to MS and ported his app over to the Windows Store. His sales for his app more than doubled in the first month. And Microsoft is considering raising the allowed amount app developers can charge for their apps within the Windows Store. This can further increase the profit for app developers. What MORON developer wouldn't want to create apps for Windows 10 store especially when all they need to do is port an existing Apple or Android app over? It's EASY MONEY! App developers, wake up! It's time for a third app store and MS is making it easy and PROFITABLE for you! Get busy already!

Conrad Shull

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I like the look and feel of the Windows phone system over Android (and I avoid Apple for it's snot factor and high price). Beyond that, it just depends on which evil empire you want mining your personal data, Microsoft or Google.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I basically just listed most things that I do with the phone. I'm not sure what's so confusing about that lengthy list. maybe it's too long for you? Let me simplify it

2. I download a lot of apps from play store
3. I use a lot of Microsoft apps and services on android, which are better than on WM
4. I like how when I click a link in the browser it opens in the corresponding app
5. I use adguard to block ads
6. I use widgets
7. I connect my phone to my PC to text with a real keyboard
8. I use tasker and NFC automations.

I just thought of one more

Thanks dude. (1,4 and 5 are all browser related making the list 6. Launcher and widgets are of the same class making what you do, 5 things) In short, what you do is not demonstrably different with these five things to what anyone else does or can do with Windows Phone. That is the only point I wanted to get to. When you list all of what a smart phones capabilities are in your other post, then compare it to this reality, it looks like YOU don't do much beyond what WE or anyone else on this or any platform are doing with the smart phone. Sans Continuum.
No, we don't have access to some of the social time wasters available on other platforms, but we truly don't miss much else that matters. And if I didn't say it before, WM10 is amazing. But again, I appreciate your candor.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
You are the exact kind of person I want to hear from. MIcrosoft implies it will be trivial to port an app from iOS and almost as easy from Android. They made a big deal how Candy Crush source code was literally unchanged. So I want to hear what real developers who have done it say about how easy it is for THEIR apps..

Ever heard of the game “Cook, Serve, Delicious!”? It's an indie title that has been though the porting game, with versions of the game on iOS, Android, and PC. Check out the founders take on sales of his game through the various platforms. I should also note I made an error, we will be making a PC version of the App as well... so his take is VERY relevant.

Gamasutra: David Galindo's Blog - How much do indie PC devs make, anyways? (Part V)

When reading his post.... it's pretty easy to see why as a dev WP is so far off my radar.... it's kind of a "eeeeeh, maybe, if we have time." kind of thing.

Simply put, there isn't enough people that use the phones. New WP only being released on one carrier in the USA doesn't help, and their market penetration across the world is no better. Why should we spend the time porting when there just isn't enough to justify the time/cost of porting to ANOTHER platform? I hate to say it's but it's all about the money, and WP isn't where the money is app. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Gamer as well, I met my wife though on an online gaming clan. I want to make fun, entertaining, addictive games... and to get the most people playing, and paying for said game... I gotta go where the people play and pay. And that ain't WP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel