Why Windows over Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valtheus

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Personally i don't think there is nowadays any point to compare mobile or even desktop OSes. Yeah maybe the early years of their development would make sense, but not anymore. All three OSes are really good mobile systems that will do the job one way or another. They all got apps more or less, they all got a modern UI, they all got similar functionality. Pretty much the same story goes for hardware.

So it all comes down to a matter of personal preference. I for example started with the iOS and the first iPhone, then turned to Android, and one day i decided i liked windows mobile better. Why? Personal preference for different reasons. I can do the same exact things with an android or iphone device, thats for sure, i just prefer my 640. Its that simple.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks dude. (1,4 and 5 are all browser related making the list 6. Launcher and widgets are of the same class making what you do, 5 things) In short, what you do is not demonstrably different with these five things to what anyone else does or can do with Windows Phone. That is the only point I wanted to get to. When you list all of what a smart phones capabilities are in your other post, then compare it to this reality, it looks like YOU don't do much beyond what WE or anyone else on this or any platform are doing with the smart phone. Sans Continuum.
No, we don't have access to some of the social time wasters available on other platforms, but we truly don't miss much else that matters. And if I didn't say it before, WM10 is amazing. But again, I appreciate your candor.
Adguard isn't actually only browser related since it blocks in-app ads as well.
I get your point that we all use our phones similarly, but since the title of the thread asks why one OS is better, I just want to list out how Android do certain things better than Windows phone. In fact, many of the things I listed aren't even possible on a WP.
I highly encourage you to try out other mobile OS

And like I said I'm still a fan of WP. My first smart phone was Lumia 920, upgraded to 1520. Bought various WP for my family. It's just that with the Galaxy Note 5 my eyes were open to the rest of the world and it's a wonderful world outside of the WP bubble.

Last edited:

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
It's entirely possible for Microsoft to develop a phone that will WOW consumers and make people switc. It's happened twice in the smartphone world. If Microsoft's new phone is compelling enough for consumers... they will switch, and then DEMAND devs port over, quickly. Microsoft simply hasn't made the Windows phone compelling enough. It doesn't need to be "As Good" as Android or iPhone. It needs to be better, MUCH better to get that WoW factor in. Simple as that. It's not up to thee developers to sell Microsoft's product for them. It's entirely on Microsoft. Microsoft feels the same way actually. If they didn't, they wouldn't take a cut of our sales.

It's that simple.

When Apple wowed the market it wasn't with advanced features. It was with a simple, finger driven UI that made things like taking pictures, emailing and web browsing easy. Remember that the first iPhone didn't even have apps while Palm, Symbian and Windows Mobile had extensive app catalogs and capabilities far more advanced than the iPhone's.

The power users and road warriors weren't excited about the iPhone, it was the average person who found Symbian or Palm too hard to use. Once Apple cracked the mass market, the apps came. The power users came for the higher quality apps.

In 2015 the masses already have a smartphone, there isn't another untapped market to sell into. Now the problem would be to convert the existing smartphone owners, which is much harder than the problem Apple faced in 2007.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Personally, this would drive me bonkers.

"NO, you stupid App. I'll call you when I want you. I TELL YOU, YOU DON"T TELL ME. DIE APP, DIE."

[/psychotic break]

He left off when you first click said links or open apps in android, you can set it as the default app at that time, or just once... just like windows. And you can change your default apps at any time. No need to have a psychotic breakdown good sir.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android, Samsung Note 4

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so lets forget the market share argument because it's irrelevant in this particular argument (since Universal apps apply to all form factors and you need to consider Windows users having a far larger user base than just mobile).

So your argument has now shifted from time/resource considerations to your own personal opinion of Windows Phone as an operating system.

And the number one reason that reviewers have offered bad feedback regarding Windows Phone? It's not the hardware or specification or the OS itself, it's the lack of apps.

Lets put it another way, there's not a huge amount of really great apps out there for Windows or Windows Mobile. There's a big market there, why not grab some of it?

I don't mean to be beating on you, I'm just trying to understand concrete reasons why developers aren't making the best of what they have open to them. I'm not yet seeing any compelling reasons I'm afraid.

Well as I said, a desktop program is planned, so perhaps with the universal stuff it'll be easy. We will see. We are a small company... 2 people, so supporting ios, android, wp, and desktop all together may be a strain.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
He left off when you first click said links or open apps in android, you can set it as the default app at that time, or just once... just like windows. And you can change your default apps at any time. No need to have a psychotic breakdown good sir.

Oh, I've done Android.

He's touting it like it is great and must have. I am pointing out my loathing of that behavior model. Many UI models on Android drove me nuts. Part of the reason I'm no longer there is all the incessant tinkering needed to get away from the behavior models that the OS and vendors deem as necessary and which I find to be horrible. It was way more work for me to get Android to behave how I wanted than it was worth in the long run.

Sorry to all the Devs, but I don't want an App that does what my browser does. I certainly don't want to click a link in my browser and monetize someone for their App.

Maybe that's why I'm happier on Windows Phone. Less Apps actually makes me happier than more.

The tendency for each and every App to want hooks into each and every activity is maddening. You are an App, you have a function. Do that function and leave all the others alone. I want to control the functions by default, not as an interminable series of permissions trees I have to endlessly patrol.

The "permissiveness" of the OS is more curse than blessing to me. It's top down invasiveness. Don't like it. No sir.

StaticXCC

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
Oh, I've done Android.

He's touting it like it is great and must have. I am pointing out my loathing of that behavior model. Many UI models on Android drove me nuts. Part of the reason I'm no longer there is all the incessant tinkering needed to get away from the behavior models that the OS and vendors deem as necessary and which I find to be horrible. It was way more work for me to get Android to behave how I wanted than it was worth in the long run.

Sorry to all the Devs, but I don't want an App that does what my browser does. I certainly don't want to click a link in my browser and monetize someone for their App.

Maybe that's why I'm happier on Windows Phone. Less Apps actually makes me happier than more.

The tendency for each and every App to want hooks into each and every activity is maddening. You are an App, you have a function. Do that function and leave all the others alone. I want to control the functions by default, not as an interminable series of permissions trees I have to endlessly patrol.

The "permissiveness" of the OS is more curse than blessing to me. It's top down invasiveness. Don't like it. No sir.

I guess this comes down to user preferences. I for one prefer apps over the browser. I hated it when The Verge dropped support and pulled their app from Google Play. Their mobile website is laggy, always has been. Their app was flawless. I suppose I also see no difference in setting default apps as setting default applications in Windows. Same popup, same 1 second click done. I also love my Next 3D Launcher and widgets.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
I guess this comes down to user preferences. I for one prefer apps over the browser. I hated it when The Verge dropped support and pulled their app from Google Play. Their mobile website is laggy, always has been. Their app was flawless. I suppose I also see no difference in setting default apps as setting default applications in Windows. Same popup, same 1 second click done. I also love my Next 3D Launcher and widgets.

I prefer apps over websites as well. When I click on an Amazon link, I want it to open up in my Amazon app. When I click on a YouTube link, I want it to open up in my YouTube app. The apps are optimized for the platform, whereas the website is just a website and is slower and clunkier in comparison.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess this comes down to user preferences.

Hence the word "Personally" being the lead in of that post of mine which you quoted. I agree it is all preference. Many users like things other than how I care for them. I was simply expressing my dislike for a behavior another was praising That's why more OS choice is better than fewer. I'm on Windows Phone, but would switch to something else if it matched me better. I wish Sailfish would make an entry into the North American market. Or that Ubuntu would have gotten their mobile act together. It took way too long to reach fruition and where is their market presence? Nowhere I can see

I've used Android, feature phones, webOS, Android, Symbian, Ubuntu Touch (flashed onto Nexus 4), iOS, Android, FireFox OS (flashed onto Nexus 4), Android, Sailfish (flashed onto Nexus 4), Android and Windows Phone.

The biggest things I've learned is no one choice is perfect, we all need more choices and expecting any OS to act like the other one you were just on is a quick trip to headache-ville. That last one ain't gonna happen. That's why I find all the "let's compare oranges and orangutans" threads not very worthwhile. Sometimes you want an orange, sometimes you want an orangutan. And if you think your orange will behave like an orangutan you are wasting your time.

I for one prefer apps over the browser. I hated it when The Verge dropped support and pulled their app from Google Play. Their mobile website is laggy, always has been. Their app was flawless.

Since I'm sharing my dislikes, I dislike The Verge intensely. They are too self involved and each correspondent seems to be writing to the narrowest possible audience, himself or herself. Such self-centeredness is highly suspect in journalism. I have no respect for them as journalists, news sources or people because of all the "look at how important I sound" content they churn out.

I don't Mobile Web either. What a waste. I rant against that too. Why bother? What a gyp. Gimme Desktop Mode and I'm happy. Some hate Desktop Browser on a phone, I understand. But, hey; I used desktop mode on browser with HP Veer's 2.6" screen so arguments of the screen is so small I need mobile don't hold water with me. But that's me and just my warped opinion. And that brings us full circle.

Last edited:

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm quite sure you are in the minority when it comes to this.

In context, I have to agree with RumoredNow on this one. I like less apps as well. I prefer the browser if the site has a well designed mobile website. Websites that are clunky and difficult to load on a mobile browser are websites that just aren't coded properly. It's probably a sign of just being older, or old, or whatever. Maybe it's just the 50+ crowd that feels that way, but all the 50+ crowd I run with feel the same way. They don't use apps, or very few do. When many of them do (not me, but many), they have to get someone to help them figure it out.

And while there are apps that are "must haves" that you can't get through a web browser, like a flashlight app (built-in to the action center finally in W10M), there really aren't that many. I've got 2 games. Don't want more on my phone. Music player app. Podometer. Maps and Directions. Camera. Photos. Light Photo Editing/Enhancing (because I prefer the heavy stuff on my PC), email, calendar, MS Office. All this I have. And don't tell me Android and iOS has better office apps again, because as of Windows 10 Mobile, I've got everything I need and more in UI and in functionality and I'm not having to pay for the advanced features. I love that about Windows Mobile.

Windows 10 Mobile Start Screen. I LOVE this new start screen.

You want to know the only thing I'm missing on my Windows 10 Mobile? Continuum. Because there are times I would use it and be productive like a boss. I don't have it because the hardware isn't there yet, and I'm still putting away money for the kids' college.

My wife uses more apps than I do, and she's younger (early 30s) than I. Yet, she doesn't feel the need for "more apps" than what she's already got available. She's had fun using what's in the Windows Store.

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to apps, it doesn't take lack of a bunch of them to make you hate the OS. Even missing a single popular app can do that (Snapchat, COC, etc). Some of those apps don't even have a 3rd party alternative (all the games obviously), that makes it even harder.

k12000lt

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
You missed what for me, was the determining factor in choosing Windows Phone over everything else out there. Security. Windows Phone protects my privacy better than anything else. iPhone may be close, but Windows Phone is the most secure. Between the security and affordability, I decided to make Windows Phone my choice as my first "smart phone" since I owned a Windows Mobile 5 device years ago. I never put internet on that device, and never used it on Wi-Fi, so I stayed secure with that device. I basically got the WinMo5 device for MS Office, because there was no such thing as iOS and Android back then.

If Windows Phone were to cease having the level of security that it has, then I would go back to a feature phone and only get online with my laptop.

Yeah, security may not be a factor for most, but it is for many.

I'm a bit confused about security statement here about windows 10 and may be windows 10 mobile. I am using windows 10 on my PC right now and hugely surprised how much data is being used by windows 10 on my back. Even if i just keep PC on and not do anything, data is always being sent and received on wifi. and its really too much. I did a little digging online regarding this and found so many posts about all the used data being collectd by MS now. Cortana is there but even it keepa collecting all the data, which they say, is to improve user experience. But how do I know for sure what is being sent and for what purpose?

FaisalST32

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm a bit confused about security statement here about windows 10 and may be windows 10 mobile. I am using windows 10 on my PC right now and hugely surprised how much data is being used by windows 10 on my back. Even if i just keep PC on and not do anything, data is always being sent and received on wifi. and its really too much. I did a little digging online regarding this and found so many posts about all the used data being collectd by MS now. Cortana is there but even it keepa collecting all the data, which they say, is to improve user experience. But how do I know for sure what is being sent and for what purpose?

I did find a workaround to that. Disabling BITS in services does prevent the data transfer. However, the service is required by many apps to function properly.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Oh, I've done Android.

I agree with both of you. It's just a matter personal preferences.

One feature I like about Android is the ability to use Google Now to search and then choose which browser I want to open. Believe it or not, I use Firefox or Firefox Nightly more than Chrome or Chrome Beta on my Androids.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
[WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Let me give example: I use WP & my sis uses an Android. While it was my first time owning a smart-phone(Since I'm NOKIA fan). On first day, I didn't know what to do and live tiles were confusing, so I thought why don't I spend some time, after few hours of usage, guess what? I loved the phone. After a day or two I gave my phone to sis and told her to do a test drive. The first thing she told me was WP wasn't lagging and UI/UX is confusing at first, but considering its performance its worth the trade-off. Now even my Mom is using WP who was previously accustomed to Androids saying its like using old NOKIA phones. But one downside my sister felt is apps & personalization on wp.
So everyone one must make a trade-off in terms of performance, security or no. of apps in app store. For me, performance & security is my objective which WP delivers. For apps or its quantity of apps available, Android is the way to go.

Bigsteelguy

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The ability to use Android lollipop in a virtual window, to use Android apps on Windows. Still Windows is far better than Android, yet i do like Android as i carry a Samsung Note4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos