11-24-2015 01:26 AM
68 123
tools
    Enough to switch banks over?

I went from BoA to Ally and it has been great. Ally will even let you deposit on the web by uploading a check image via browser... The Ally App on WP has been awesome and includes mobile deposit, naturally.

My conversation with BoA was about the fact that I need mobile deposit. They insisted I could do everything in browser. However, when pushed they admitted that only business customers could deposit checks via browser.

Bye Bye BoA, Hello Ally. I do not miss having a physical location one bit. Ally service has been outstanding.
    That's quite a move. A smart one to me, keeping your mobile ecosystem rather than a bank...

I've been with Wells Fargo, they have an app everywhere even on Windows, rarely use it anyway.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-16-2015 12:09 PM
    I am a bit late to the party but here it goes...

1. Lumia
    2. Never ever having to swipe right into the app drawer. Every app I use (need/want) is on the main home screen
    3. Glance
    4. Battery life
    5. Camera - great camera from the 1020 to the 520.
    6. Offline HERE Maps
    7. Offline music via MixRadio
    8. Backup for contacts, SMS and photos - was better than anyone else even 2.5 years ago.
    9. WordFlow is probably the best stock keyboard out there.
    10. OS doesn't require too many taps to do basic things.
    11. Office Lens for those pesky expense report receipts
    12. Live images - we had those before the fruit stand had them!
    13. Fluid OS even with low amounts of RAM
    14. Full SD card support for apps, photos, music, documents
    15. Cortana - stuff displayed is more meaningful.
    16. Colorful Polycarbonate back shells - as a plastics person, I prefer it over the so called premium metal phones.
    17. Internet sharing

And last but not the least
    Price - a Lumia 640 will do all of the above (which is what I use currently on my main phone line). No other phone in any other ecosystem comes remotely close to match the performance to price ratio of a Lumia especially in the sub $200 category.
    RumoredNow, jmshub, SPS828 and 3 others like this.
    11-16-2015 12:25 PM
    My experience exactly. Can't really explain why the 920 hooked me so much, but it did. I loved the camera on it!

I chose Windows phone because I wanted the latest and greatest Nokia with an exceptional camera. The 920 caught my attention like a moth to a flood light. The experience out of the box had me sold and continues to this day.
    11-16-2015 01:08 PM
    1) Live tiles caught my eye, I loved the customization of it. LARGE TILES - beautiful in it's simplicity and organization of apps
    2) I use Windows and Office and OneDrive on my computer, and smooth syncing is critical for me, and this works so well for me.
    3) My first Windows phone was a penny!! Crazy little deal I got through my carrier, and I LOVED it. HTC 8X. Sniff.
    4) Waiting for the (hopefully, prayerfully) HTC One 9 to come out with Windows.
    5) There are plenty of apps for me, but then again I don't need 5 million.
    6) And finally, back button back button back button.

I feel strange, like I have to avoid certain words or I'll get banished to the deleted heap :)
    11-16-2015 04:24 PM
    Here's mine:

1. Design: I chose Windows Phone because, as someone who studied Industrial Design, I honestly believe WP (esp with WP7, 8 and 8.1) is the only mobile OS that genuinely put an emphasis on REAL design. Frosted glass may look pretty but that and skeumorphism does not a real design make like a certain fruit vendor would have you believe. WP's design is also far more sophisticated than the tech journos would have you believe. Modern (Metro) takes from design work laid out by modernist designers of the 60's (the Swiss style). At the same time it gives more than a passing nod to DOS. The old settings interface for example (WP 8.1) looks like DOS if it were designed in the 2010s instead of the 1970s which I thought was cool.

2. Live Tiles: Smarter use of space while avoiding old fashioned skeumorphism (cool fact: Did you know iOS' layout with the rigidly fixed squircles were inspired by old pushbutton landline phones? Way to move technology forward). By contrast, Live Tiles is a truly forward thinking digital approach to smartphone UIs that gives you full control over the information you get without giving you too much control creating the myspace equivalent of a startscreen.

3. Butter Smooth UI: It's no secret that WP is as lithe and nimble as iOS. You don't need monster specs to make it run extremely well (even W10M) and yet MS/Nokia saw fit to futureproof you by giving you those monster specs anyway (in my 1520 and old 1320 at least). The result is great value for money and pound for pound the most capable platform with the greatest potential which is, sadly, still underutilized because certain app makers grew up with a stigma against the name Microsoft and can't see the company for what it is today and not what it was in the days of Windows 2000 or Windows Vista.
    Last edited by Aldrich Uyliong; 11-22-2015 at 06:06 AM.
    11-16-2015 05:48 PM
    The Start Screen+App List - Live Tiles that could tell you the weather, who called and other info without actually opening the app. The ability to resize and rearrange each tile was also great as well as the selection of eye catching accent colors. The app list is also very easy to navigate with the extremely helpful jump list.

Metro Design Language - The magazine-like large fonts, the clean and well designed icons, the smooth and stylish turn-style animations. This is what WP was all about and made using the OS a joy. [removed in W10M]

Hubs - Being able to do stuff without actually opening the app was very useful and ahead of it's time. [removed in 8.1]

User Friendly Controls - Easy to use and extremely stylish pivots and panoramas. Controls were almost always at the bottom of the screen. My thumb was never happier. [compromised in W10M]

The Keyboard - extremely easy to use with a nice simple design. The predictive text/Word Flow feature makes typing so easy and this was before they added shape writing.

Nokia hardware and design - fantastic and unique design with many different colors to choose from. If you had a Lumia everyone knew it. [Nokia branding was dropped shortly after MS bought the mobile division. Choice of colors is now only black and white with the latest flagships]

Camera Shutter Button - Every Lumia had a dedicated 2-stage button just for launching the camera app and taking a picture. Even the extremely low end 520 had one. [eventually dropped from all but high end Lumias]

Auto-hiding System Tray - after a few moments the system tray would hide making the Start screen looking very clean. [disabled in 8.1]

MSN Health & Fitness, Travel and Food apps - Very useful and well designed apps. Aall 3 all were an invaluable source for articles, recipes and tips. I used H&F every day for keeping track of my workouts and diet. [shut down in October 2015 with no replacement]
    Last edited by Kram Sacul; 11-20-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added more features that MS removed
    11-16-2015 06:03 PM
    I chose it because:

- build quality
    - p/p
    - zeiss camera
    - fast and responsive OS
    11-16-2015 06:03 PM
    1) it makes phone calls
    2) it checks email
    3) i can listen to music with it
    4) the 1020 has reigned as the best camera in a phone for longer than any other
    5) my pants dont have to be 2 sizes too small to own one
    6) i dont have to have a douchie stache on my money maker to own one
    7) I CAN NOW SEND TEXTS TO ANYONE FROM MY PC, NOT JUST FELLOW PLATFORM USERS
    8) yes, just yes
    11-16-2015 06:26 PM
    1)ui
    2)responsiveness
    3)not overpriced phones
    4)universal platform (this is a new feature and very nice)
    11-17-2015 12:43 AM
    1) Best price / performance ratio
    2) Good camera
    3) Live tiles
    4) Cortana
    5) Better MS services
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-17-2015 06:07 AM
    This topic is very specific. It's about why you chose Windows Phone, but, you are not allowed to mention competing phones or OSes in your post.

Not allowed: I chose Windows Phone because I needed an alternative to Android or iPhone.
    Allowed: I chose Windows Phone for something different.

Not allowed: I chose Windows Phone because Android UI is awful.
    Allowed: I preferred the UI of Windows Phone.

Not allowed: I chose WP because iPhone is too expensive.
    Allowed: I liked the affordability of the WP I chose.

Tell us why you like or chose a Windows Phone. Do not mention competing products. Anyone stating why they do NOT like Windows Phone will be deemed off-topic, and anyone mentioning a competing product in their post will likewise be deemed off-topic.

Everything in this topic will be considered someone's personal opinion, and not absolute fact. Ideas about why we like phones can all be construed as opinions, and anyone criticizing someone else's reason for choosing will also be considered off topic.

This should be a safe topic to state why you prefer and chose Windows Phone, but let's keep posts that tend to get others riled up out of it, please.

Thank you.

I'll start.

--------------------
    There are many reasons why I stay with Windows Phone and love Windows Phone, and I'll share more of those later, but for now, let me just say that I initially chose Windows Phone because of 3 distinct reasons:
    1. The level of security offered by the OS (I came from a flip phone for the same reason)
    2. The ability to use it as a Mobile Hotspot (not over others, but just a criteria)
    and 3. The affordability and availability of the model I chose to start with. (Lumia 520 for $30)
    Here's hoping that this thread doesn't suffer the same fate as the previous one.
    11-17-2015 06:16 AM
    I had a good experience with a Lumia 520 (although briefly), and currently the owner of a 640 XL. With that in mind, the following comments about "Why Windows Phone?":
    • I like the UI, has a nice feel/flow to it.
    • I'm hoping the W10M brings more interaction between the mobile and the desktop world (besides Continuum)
    • I want to see what W10M brings to the mobile environment (didn't participate in any user testing)

CJSL
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    11-17-2015 11:16 AM
    1. It was the Nokia hardware. My 920 took every hit and never complained.
    2. CAMERA!!!!!!!! Yay! I love mobile photography because the best camera is the one you have with you.
    3. UI. Simple, extremely personal, see at a glance what matters. I often get lost on other ppls WP because yes WP is personal, you will never see one exactly like another, even if the tiles are the same, leading to ....
    4. Live tiles. I simply love them, memories of vacations with photo tile, loved ones with ppl tile. Mail previews, msg previews etc. etc.
    5. Smooth. No lag, always up to date with the latest experimental even version of the OS and still way better than competition. Ppl tell me they restart their phones twice a day. Well I had too, but only due to TP early builds.
    6. Simplicity that works. Syncing is done without me interfering. Meh when on WP 8, even the theme colour synced on my devices....
    7. Hardware... again... after 2 years with 920 it feels awkward not being able to read the screen under the sun. I'm also used to the Pure pixel motion, or whatever they called it. I get dizzy when scrolling fast on any competitor's phone.
    8. Productivity. Even more with win10, i get full office, which I use a lot, srsly... a lot..
    9. OneDrive.
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    11-17-2015 04:57 PM
    I resisted buying a Smartphone for a long time. Mostly because pretty much everything seemed to require committing to a two year service contract and a $70/month combined Voice/Data plan with my carrier of choice, AT&T. I had brain-washed myself into thinking that a smartphone wouldn't be of much use to me. I had been using basic Nokia candy-bar/flip-phones since buying my first cellphone back in 2001. With those phones, Texting/Emailing was a major PITA with the tiny displays and having to make multiple key presses to select letters, numbers, and punctuation and accessing the Internet was totally out of the question.

When AT&T announced the Nokia Lumia 520 available on their pay-as-you-go GoPhone service, I stopped by an AT&T to check it out. After playing with a 520 for about an hour, I started to realize it would be a lot more useful than the basic cellphones I'd been using. I went ahead and picked up a 520 and have been using it daily for a little over two years.

In summation, I'm happy I chose a Windows Phone. The WP 8/8.1 OS is easy to use/navigate and other than there not being as many Apps as there are available
    for Apple or Android, I really don't see a reason to explore their offerings. I'm not a Power User so the "App Gap" really doesn't bother me and hopefully the release of Windows 10 Mobile will put an end to that issue.
    11-17-2015 07:46 PM
    1. low price

2. works relatively fast

3. no need for few GB of RAM memory to work normaly, even with 512 MB It works fine

4. design on windows 10 mobile is special and wp8.1, there si no similar on market, Also I like phone design, It is almost unique.

5. I love Cortana, OneNote and app integration with Cortana

6. people around me doesn't know to use WP so no one is touching my phone

7. I was always different and never mainstream, Lumia is more close to my personality, It is not so popular but It is good

8. Battery life was good on WP8.1 and I hope so for w10m

9. Speakres on Nokia/Microsoft are so strong, I have much stronger signal for sound then on other smartphones

10. Great cameras even on low price range

ok, there is more but I remembered this 10 so far.

I love no.6
    libra89 and MysticForce like this.
    11-20-2015 01:11 AM
    I love it! Finally, an employee at a carrier gets it!
    That was during the WP7 early days lol that employee has probably been fired since then.

Still have my HTC Surround (Started with Samsung Focus) I currently use a Lumia 640.
    11-21-2015 01:30 AM
    I resisted buying a Smartphone for a long time. Mostly because pretty much everything seemed to require committing to a two year service contract and a $70/month combined Voice/Data plan with my carrier of choice, AT&T. I had brain-washed myself into thinking that a smartphone wouldn't be of much use to me. I had been using basic Nokia candy-bar/flip-phones since buying my first cellphone back in 2001. With those phones, Texting/Emailing was a major PITA with the tiny displays and having to make multiple key presses to select letters, numbers, and punctuation and accessing the Internet was totally out of the question.

When AT&T announced the Nokia Lumia 520 available on their pay-as-you-go GoPhone service, I stopped by an AT&T to check it out. After playing with a 520 for about an hour, I started to realize it would be a lot more useful than the basic cellphones I'd been using. I went ahead and picked up a 520 and have been using it daily for a little over two years.

In summation, I'm happy I chose a Windows Phone. The WP 8/8.1 OS is easy to use/navigate and other than there not being as many Apps as there are available
    for Apple or Android, I really don't see a reason to explore their offerings. I'm not a Power User so the "App Gap" really doesn't bother me and hopefully the release of Windows 10 Mobile will put an end to that issue.
    Power user or whatever we really need those essential apps in the ecosystem even if some don't care.
    11-21-2015 01:42 AM
    Mostly for the consistance with Windows PC, like office and exchange
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-24-2015 01:26 AM
68 123