Why Windows Phone

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
1. low price
2. works relatively fast
3. no need for few GB of RAM memory to work normaly, even with 512 MB It works fine
4. design on windows 10 mobile is special and wp8.1, there si no similar on market, Also I like phone design, It is almost unique.
5. I love Cortana, OneNote and app integration with Cortana
6. people around me doesn't know to use WP so no one is touching my phone
7. I was always different and never mainstream, Lumia is more close to my personality, It is not so popular but It is good
8. Battery life was good on WP8.1 and I hope so for w10m
9. Speakres on Nokia/Microsoft are so strong, I have much stronger signal for sound then on other smartphones
10. Great cameras even on low price range

ok, there is more but I remembered this 10 so far.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I came to Windows Phone from Ipaq Pocket PC and then Windows Mobile. I've been reading and creating documents, using GPS (Navigon), the internet, and apps for years.
Just made sense.

melodia

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I had an iPhone back in 2013. I happened to lost it(!) and desided to buy a low end phone this time. I immediately kinda felt in love with the idea of windows phone.

I bought a 520 and after something like five months I replaced my 520 to 930 and now I'm waiting for my 950.

Pros for me are:

1. Simplicity and the idea of the OS
2. Live Tiles
3. The Camera (software & hardware)
4. It's Windows
5. Office

Now W10M is drawing me to Windows (I have no other Windows devices. Been using MacBook for years) which I find pretty uncommon.. :)

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I chose a Windows Phone because I am a masochist! :grin:

No...seriously...because...

(1) Live Tiles
(2) Integration with my Surface 3 and Pro 3 (in other words, with my computers running Windows)
(3) Camera

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
The 950 will be my first Windows Phone. I'm choosing WP because it's different than what I'm used to on my phone, but the same as what I'm used to on my PC. It just makes sense, and I feel like I probably should have been using one all along but I didn't have my attention drawn to Windows Phone until now.

6Kings

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I chose for a couple of reasons:
1. Windows - the ecosystem and integration was very compelling and still is since all my work is Microsoft based technologies
2. Live Tiles - Love these and still do

I tried it for those reasons and to try something interesting and now I am hooked. Still very irritated at the missing banking apps which I used but not enough to leave the platform. I have been on the 920 for 3 years now and it still runs great! Can't wait for the 950!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Still very irritated at the missing banking apps which I used but not enough to leave the platform.

Enough to switch banks over?

I went from BoA to Ally and it has been great. Ally will even let you deposit on the web by uploading a check image via browser... The Ally App on WP has been awesome and includes mobile deposit, naturally.

My conversation with BoA was about the fact that I need mobile deposit. They insisted I could do everything in browser. However, when pushed they admitted that only business customers could deposit checks via browser.

Bye Bye BoA, Hello Ally. I do not miss having a physical location one bit. Ally service has been outstanding.

6Kings

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't looked at Ally as an option but I haven't found as much need since I just work around it. Truthfully, I either use the Ipad at home or make my wife do the deposits. Not really a showstopper. I may at some point switch and glad to hear they are good to go.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Enough to switch banks over?

I went from BoA to Ally and it has been great. Ally will even let you deposit on the web by uploading a check image via browser... The Ally App on WP has been awesome and includes mobile deposit, naturally.

My conversation with BoA was about the fact that I need mobile deposit. They insisted I could do everything in browser. However, when pushed they admitted that only business customers could deposit checks via browser.

Bye Bye BoA, Hello Ally. I do not miss having a physical location one bit. Ally service has been outstanding.

That's quite a move. A smart one to me, keeping your mobile ecosystem rather than a bank...

I've been with Wells Fargo, they have an app everywhere even on Windows, rarely use it anyway.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I am a bit late to the party but here it goes...

1. Lumia
2. Never ever having to swipe right into the app drawer. Every app I use (need/want) is on the main home screen
3. Glance
4. Battery life
5. Camera - great camera from the 1020 to the 520.
6. Offline HERE Maps
7. Offline music via MixRadio
8. Backup for contacts, SMS and photos - was better than anyone else even 2.5 years ago.
9. WordFlow is probably the best stock keyboard out there.
10. OS doesn't require too many taps to do basic things.
11. Office Lens for those pesky expense report receipts
12. Live images - we had those before the fruit stand had them!
13. Fluid OS even with low amounts of RAM
14. Full SD card support for apps, photos, music, documents
15. Cortana - stuff displayed is more meaningful.
16. Colorful Polycarbonate back shells - as a plastics person, I prefer it over the so called premium metal phones.
17. Internet sharing

And last but not the least
Price - a Lumia 640 will do all of the above (which is what I use currently on my main phone line). No other phone in any other ecosystem comes remotely close to match the performance to price ratio of a Lumia especially in the sub $200 category.

smf98aggie

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
My experience exactly. Can't really explain why the 920 hooked me so much, but it did. I loved the camera on it!

I chose Windows phone because I wanted the latest and greatest Nokia with an exceptional camera. The 920 caught my attention like a moth to a flood light. The experience out of the box had me sold and continues to this day.

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
1) Live tiles caught my eye, I loved the customization of it. LARGE TILES - beautiful in it's simplicity and organization of apps
2) I use Windows and Office and OneDrive on my computer, and smooth syncing is critical for me, and this works so well for me.
3) My first Windows phone was a penny!! Crazy little deal I got through my carrier, and I LOVED it. HTC 8X. Sniff.
4) Waiting for the (hopefully, prayerfully) HTC One 9 to come out with Windows.
5) There are plenty of apps for me, but then again I don't need 5 million.
6) And finally, back button back button back button.

I feel strange, like I have to avoid certain words or I'll get banished to the deleted heap :)

Aldrich Uyliong

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Here's mine:

1. Design: I chose Windows Phone because, as someone who studied Industrial Design, I honestly believe WP (esp with WP7, 8 and 8.1) is the only mobile OS that genuinely put an emphasis on REAL design. Frosted glass may look pretty but that and skeumorphism does not a real design make like a certain fruit vendor would have you believe. WP's design is also far more sophisticated than the tech journos would have you believe. Modern (Metro) takes from design work laid out by modernist designers of the 60's (the Swiss style). At the same time it gives more than a passing nod to DOS. The old settings interface for example (WP 8.1) looks like DOS if it were designed in the 2010s instead of the 1970s which I thought was cool.

2. Live Tiles: Smarter use of space while avoiding old fashioned skeumorphism (cool fact: Did you know iOS' layout with the rigidly fixed squircles were inspired by old pushbutton landline phones? Way to move technology forward). By contrast, Live Tiles is a truly forward thinking digital approach to smartphone UIs that gives you full control over the information you get without giving you too much control creating the myspace equivalent of a startscreen.

3. Butter Smooth UI: It's no secret that WP is as lithe and nimble as iOS. You don't need monster specs to make it run extremely well (even W10M) and yet MS/Nokia saw fit to futureproof you by giving you those monster specs anyway (in my 1520 and old 1320 at least). The result is great value for money and pound for pound the most capable platform with the greatest potential which is, sadly, still underutilized because certain app makers grew up with a stigma against the name Microsoft and can't see the company for what it is today and not what it was in the days of Windows 2000 or Windows Vista.

Last edited:

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The Start Screen+App List - Live Tiles that could tell you the weather, who called and other info without actually opening the app. The ability to resize and rearrange each tile was also great as well as the selection of eye catching accent colors. The app list is also very easy to navigate with the extremely helpful jump list.

Metro Design Language - The magazine-like large fonts, the clean and well designed icons, the smooth and stylish turn-style animations. This is what WP was all about and made using the OS a joy. [removed in W10M]

Hubs - Being able to do stuff without actually opening the app was very useful and ahead of it's time. [removed in 8.1]

User Friendly Controls - Easy to use and extremely stylish pivots and panoramas. Controls were almost always at the bottom of the screen. My thumb was never happier. [compromised in W10M]

The Keyboard - extremely easy to use with a nice simple design. The predictive text/Word Flow feature makes typing so easy and this was before they added shape writing.

Nokia hardware and design - fantastic and unique design with many different colors to choose from. If you had a Lumia everyone knew it. [Nokia branding was dropped shortly after MS bought the mobile division. Choice of colors is now only black and white with the latest flagships]

Camera Shutter Button - Every Lumia had a dedicated 2-stage button just for launching the camera app and taking a picture. Even the extremely low end 520 had one. [eventually dropped from all but high end Lumias]

Auto-hiding System Tray - after a few moments the system tray would hide making the Start screen looking very clean. [disabled in 8.1]

MSN Health & Fitness, Travel and Food apps - Very useful and well designed apps. Aall 3 all were an invaluable source for articles, recipes and tips. I used H&F every day for keeping track of my workouts and diet. [shut down in October 2015 with no replacement]

Last edited:

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
1) it makes phone calls
2) it checks email
3) i can listen to music with it
4) the 1020 has reigned as the best camera in a phone for longer than any other
5) my pants dont have to be 2 sizes too small to own one
6) i dont have to have a douchie stache on my money maker to own one
7) I CAN NOW SEND TEXTS TO ANYONE FROM MY PC, NOT JUST FELLOW PLATFORM USERS
8) yes, just yes