Why Windows Phone

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
This topic is very specific. It's about why you chose Windows Phone, but, you are not allowed to mention competing phones or OSes in your post.

Not allowed: I chose Windows Phone because I needed an alternative to Android or iPhone.
Allowed: I chose Windows Phone for something different.

Not allowed: I chose Windows Phone because Android UI is awful.
Allowed: I preferred the UI of Windows Phone.

Not allowed: I chose WP because iPhone is too expensive.
Allowed: I liked the affordability of the WP I chose.

Tell us why you like or chose a Windows Phone. Do not mention competing products. Anyone stating why they do NOT like Windows Phone will be deemed off-topic, and anyone mentioning a competing product in their post will likewise be deemed off-topic.

Everything in this topic will be considered someone's personal opinion, and not absolute fact. Ideas about why we like phones can all be construed as opinions, and anyone criticizing someone else's reason for choosing will also be considered off topic.

This should be a safe topic to state why you prefer and chose Windows Phone, but let's keep posts that tend to get others riled up out of it, please.

Thank you.

I'll start.

--------------------
There are many reasons why I stay with Windows Phone and love Windows Phone, and I'll share more of those later, but for now, let me just say that I initially chose Windows Phone because of 3 distinct reasons:
1. The level of security offered by the OS (I came from a flip phone for the same reason)
2. The ability to use it as a Mobile Hotspot (not over others, but just a criteria)
and 3. The affordability and availability of the model I chose to start with. (Lumia 520 for $30)

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Im next...

1. The Live Tiles. I had an Android, and added so many apps to make it look like a Windows Phone, but it wasn't good enough as the real thing.
2. Camera. The 20MP on my Icon shoots amazing photos, and the manual controls are great.
3. It runs Windows. Almost everything I own uses Windows. The PC, tablet, Xbox, felt like a phone was missing, so here it is...

Those are my top 3

TLW3300

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I chose windows phone because of the simplicity of the UI and I love that just a glance at my screen updates me on everything I need, news, weather, etc. Live tiles and the geometrically pleasing atmosphere sealed WP for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I chose Windows Phone because I'm used to using Microsoft products, and what it is able to pack in the price point. I was impressed with the 521, as a smartphone and what it has for the price.

jwspradlen

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I chose windows for several reasons. I love the live tiles. Everything is easy to find. I can resize and rearrange making it easy to get to the things I use most.
Fantasia Painter. The best photo editing app ever. That combined with Lumia's awesome cameras, you just can't beat it.
Windows Phone to me is smooth. I rarely ever run into any freezes or crashes and the only reason I really do is because of the fact it's on WP10 TP, but I brought that upon myself and I accepted it.
Ability to link between other Microsoft devices. Turn on my phone and I can access stuff I uploaded from computer and vice versa. I don't have an Xbox one so I can't really comment on that part of it.
Cortana. While her search results aren't always what I was actually trying to find, she keeps me informed of news I actually want to read about. I'm not into stocks and so she doesn't spam me with stock reports. To me Cortana is better implemented when it comes to my likes and dislikes.
Better with Bing rewards. More ways to earn points and has a really good app. Bing also has nice rewards you won't have to spend a lifetime earning to collect on.
Kids mode. While my 7 month old can't really benefit from it, I enjoy it when I set it to that and hand her the phone and not have to worry about her opening apps or accidently deleting stuff.
Also, when I have my Bluetooth headset connected all texts are read out to me and I can tell Cortana to text back and tell her what to reply.
There are more reasons, that's just a few.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Using the Live Tiles and the infinitely scrolling Start Screen and Live Folder System keeps everything I want to know and use close to the surface. I feel like the boss of my phone. It brings me what I want quickly if not instantly.

Product integration across the Microsoft ecosystem is outstanding.

Cortana just gets me and works with me/for me in an easy and fun way.

Camera. Camera. Camera.

Value for the $.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
For me. I love:
1. The camera. My 1520 or 930 before that, or any of the others I've owned has always taken superior photos. Whenever I'm with ppl they always ask for me to take the photo 😉

2. Smooth UI. It's simple, looks great, and usually runs very smooth. Did I forget to mention Live Tiles!

3. Hardware. I originally came to WP7 because of the Nokia hardware. It's features like wireless charging, overall look, and build quality just wooed me. I still love the MS designs and cant seem to part with my 1520.

4. MS Ecosystem Integration. I want to be productive, not a consumer. The integration with MS services, especially Cortana, text in Bluetooth, and Office/OneDrive are key to that goal.

More but this will do 😊

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Live tiles/start screen and security is what first got me to choose Windows Phone. Still in love with the ecosystem with the development of Cortana and UWP. I will be sticking with Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile.

AllanQuatermain

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
i originally bought a windows phone 7 after seeing on display at local phone shop, the live tiles and simple to use UI, the Hot Spot for internet sharing and SD Card / removable battery are features i look for, have used 8.0/8.1 on several phones and am a happy user and looking forward to the 950XL arriving, at last a new windows phone Flagship to replace the 920 i had, why the XL? because i have been using a 640XL as a stop gap and i like the 5.7" screen size and it's not bad for the price but the 950XL will replace it.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I chose Windows phone because I wanted the latest and greatest Nokia with an exceptional camera. The 920 caught my attention like a moth to a flood light. The experience out of the box had me sold and continues to this day.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
I chose Windows Phone for the great value, extreme ease of use, beautiful UI, and the fantastic performance of Lumia Camera 5 on my Lumia 830.
I also love the security, hardware design, Glance Screen, double-tap-to-wake, and many more.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I jumped in because I found the interface to be fresh. It has these pivots and titles that seem to only peek out from the side and showing it could reveal more information if I were to swipe from left to right. I still find that a very personal experience. Not sure why it is but it has a cool factor that nothing else had. (Don't judge me, I didn't say it) :)

Live tiles were a secondary love for me. But overall, I want a phone that would give me the information I want, when I want it then sit in my belt clip until needed. Cortana came later still. But like the unassuming quality of the experience itself, Cortana sits quiet gathering info and keeping up with my schedule. When its time to send an alert, I get a timely alert and even with it, I can drop it back in its holster until I need what I need from it. Windows phone has a very professional aura about it and these new flagships soon to hit the scene exemplify that professional stature.

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
1. Like the UI and live tiles as many have said
2. Affordable !! I have a 640 and don't need **more** phone.
3. Like the way MS Health integrates with my Band 2. Cortana adds a dimension others don't have.

Eustis99

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I get bored with android and hate Apple and their trash products. Windows phone is fantastic, I feel there's way more customization although many disagree. Even more now with windows 10 which I seem to be having issues with hahaha. I always come back to windows phone!

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Besides my Nokia Lumia 822 being my first smart phone. I just felt the design (even with w10m) is more seamless compared to the others. Arranging tiles according to size and my preference always made sense to me. The camera duh, and I always owned a Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo