What if Lumia 950 & 950 XL looked like this?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The problem is that it is easy to draw a phone like this in 3D modeling software, but it's quite another to actually build a phone like this. This phone is barely thicker than the 1/8" audio jack on the top. I think my 1520 is a slim phone, and it's almost twice as thick. How would they fit enough battery in this thing to get through the day? How could they manage to fit the camera sensor and lens flush to this radically thin phone?

It's fun to see the creativity of users playing around with their own hardware design, but it unfair to the actual phone designers. The engineers have to work within the rules of actual physics and manufacturable designs, people making renders like this do not.

Leonel Funes

Windows 10 & Xbox Champion
Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The one thing that kinda bugs me is the rounded side . I like nice, straight, flat sides to let it stand. Helpful for taking pics and looks cool doing it. Also looks like it's trying too hard to catch attention. Not even iPhones do that. Well, kinda.

4/10 from me.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Honestly, as much as I love my lumia 830, I can't stand the sharp edges. I rather have rounded edges like the newer phones. It forces me to hold it differently because the edge drives into my palm if i don't. So glad it doesn't look like that. hehe.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Already had a 925 and a 1520.3. Glad for something different. And having replaceable backs (that include the sides) is awesome. It means there is nothing cosmetic that can't be done.

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
This was posted previously quite a while ago. Generally, I love that design. I'm a huge Lumia 920 fabula design fan.

Here's to hoping that the future Snapdragon 820 Lumia looks more like a thinner Lumia 920 - that's the dream.

I'm sticking with my Lumia 1520 for now. I greatly prefer the design of the 1520 to the generic and round cornered 950 XL.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Tough crowd.

Or maybe some of us understand the difference between what is feasible and not given the current situation.

Concept renders are nice to look at and there is nothing wrong in letting a person's creativity run wild but when it comes to production and manufacturing?

Not possibly, as there is a line or threshold that cannot be crossed with current production models and once that line is crossed you will get diminished returns. You need not look further then the iphone, the 6s series are somewhat thicker, heavier as they use a denser alloy and have had to reinforce certain areas of the chassis.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Concept renders are nice to look at and there is nothing wrong in letting a person's creativity run wild but when it comes to production and manufacturing?

Not possibly, .

It's not a question of feasibility. Lumia 730 and Lumia 925 already had similar designs. The important factor is the cost. I don't think that Microsoft wanted to invest in designing the body of the device because they wanted to keep the price to a minimum. Hence they went for a 640 like basic design.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
This was posted previously quite a while ago. Generally, I love that design. I'm a huge Lumia 920 fabula design fan.

Here's to hoping that the future Snapdragon 820 Lumia looks more like a thinner Lumia 920 - that's the dream.

I'm sticking with my Lumia 1520 for now. I greatly prefer the design of the 1520 to the generic and round cornered 950 XL.

I have exactly similar thoughts.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It's not a question of feasibility. Lumia 730 and Lumia 925 already had similar designs. The important factor is the cost. I don't think that Microsoft wanted to invest in designing the body of the device because they wanted to keep the price to a minimum. Hence they went for a 640 like basic design.

It is a question of feasibility, you need to take into account more than just component sizes. For example battery weight and size, heat dissipation - essentially all electrical components generate some sort of heat output (I am not going to go into detail why), screen thickness and durability etc. It's one thing to design a concept on a screen but another thing entirely to manufacture and produce the product on mass.

Plus with the unibody design, you prohibit the ability of the following:

1) Ecosystem of third party back covers that compliment the phone as opposed to being bulky add-ons.
2) The ability to easily change the battery when you're out of charge or have a faulty battery.
3) Hot swapping msd cards, phones that allow this use a inelegant and undurable rubber cover. Using a Pin to pull out a msd card tray is not ideal for people who swap out msd cards. Granted the larger sizes makes reduces that need greatly but with the advent of 4k recording and high res raw picture files, easily swapping out msd cards is a necessity for some.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
but instead we got a version of the 640 XL.

Well, yeah, the 640 was released in 2015, so it was the most current version of Nokia's design language at the time, and that has evolved into the x50 series phones. While the 925 and the 1520 were both good looking phones (I still love my 1520), Nokia design language was always evolving, not continuing to release the same phone.

The 730 has a polycarbonate unibody, like the 1520. The concept you posted appears to be all aluminum (magnesium? unobtanium?), it would be built like an iphone, maybe? But furthermore, my original statement is that this thing is impossibly thin. It is half as thick as the 1520 or the 730, there would be insufficient room in the phone for enough battery, or even to fit the camera lens.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, yeah, the 640 was released in 2015, so it was the most current version of Nokia's design language at the time, and that has evolved into the x50 series phones. While the 925 and the 1520 were both good looking phones (I still love my 1520), Nokia design language was always evolving, not continuing to release the same phone.

Except the 950/950XL (flagships) are basically the same as the 640 (low mid range) and that's the problem. Previous high end flagships were distinctly different than the lower budgets( ie you would never mistake the 920 for the 520). Using the same design for low end and high end devices was a poor decision but then again this is MS who seems to drop the ball every week.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how it's dropping the ball. First, this phone has been in the pipeline since Nokia, so it's not a Microsoft failure.

I can see a design elements following from Lumia 900 to 920 to 930 and now the 950.

Furthermore, Nokia has had extremely attractive and unique handsets since they introduced the Lumia line, but it hasn't particularly helped them in the marketplace. Having standout handset designs isn't as important to sell phones as some on here seem to think.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Except the 950/950XL (flagships) are basically the same as the 640 (low mid range) and that's the problem. Previous high end flagships were distinctly different than the lower budgets( ie you would never mistake the 920 for the 520). Using the same design for low end and high end devices was a poor decision but then again this is MS who seems to drop the ball every week.
We get it. You'd rather drive a Fiero with a Ferrari body kit than a Ferrari with a Camry body kit. While others would prefer a phone that has unlimited possible looks due to a replaceable shell instead of a phone that has almost no options to start and just keeps looking more boring and dated and same as the rest every single day you have it.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
We get it. You'd rather drive a Fiero with a Ferrari body kit than a Ferrari with a Camry body kit. While others would prefer a phone that has unlimited possible looks due to a replaceable shell instead of a phone that has almost no options to start and just keeps looking more boring and dated and same as the rest every single day you have it.

I rather have a phone that looks like a flagship device and not something MS recycled from their budget line. That's not to hard to ask. I agree about the replaceable shell part though. I absolutely adore all the different shells for my 820. Regular glossy ones, ones that enable wireless charging and rugged ones that add protection. All Nokia made too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99