Buy new phone now bc Rubino says no new phone for a year?

orangesplease

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
My plan was to wait for the rumored Surface phone that was supposedly going to appear in the Spring. Daniel Rubino now says with confidence that there won't be a new phone until the end of next year. I'm currently using a Lumia 925 and am ready for an upgrade, but was really looking forward to whatever Panos Panay was going to produce.

SOOO, should I stick to my guns and wait a year or go all in and get a Lumia 950XL? I probably would wait until next February or so to get it, so no plans to get it ASAP unless there's a crazy sale.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
He said that there wouldn't be a new FLAGSHIP phone...not no phone. Just try the 950 xl, maybe it will have more updates by then.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I am in the same boat as you are. After quite a bit of deliberation, I came to the decision that I'll wade it out for another year. My reasons:

1. Everyone talks of this phone as a stop-gap; only for Lumia enthusiasts.

2. The phone looks aesthetically like L640 (which can be bad or good; quick look at the display, and you'll know it is not L640).

3. I don't have $600 lying around to buy an OKAY phone. Even if I do succumb to buy it, I won't be able to shell out another $600 next year for the NEXT big thing.

4. Even though continuum is great, I seldom see myself using it.

5. Good screen, Rich capture, living images and 21 MP camera are not enough reasons for me to upgrade by shelling out $600. I already get a taste of W10 Mobile on my L925.

6. Iris scanner is still finicky, and I am yet to find a review that says it works flawlessly, every single time. I'd rather have a fingerprint scanner with an option for iris scan for Windows hello.

7.I'll stick to L925 for another year; if my palm gets extremely itchy to get a new device, I'll buy a L640 ($30, give or take) and/or MS Band 2. The latter should still work flawlessly with L925.

8. Next year, after the "Surface phone" or "Lumia Pro" (whatever MS decides to call it) is released, the reviews will read something along the lines of "THIS is the Lumia we have been waiting for".

9. As Mr. Rubino says, L950/XL doesn't push boundaries, as the Surface does. It does what other phones do, plus a little more.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
8. Next year, after the "Surface phone" or "Lumia Pro" (whatever MS decides to call it) is released, the reviews will read something along the lines of "THIS is the Lumia we have been waiting for".
That's a bit optimistic given the attitude and bias of tech reviewers. Even if it is the best device ever made, because it's Microsoft, the reviews will say it's crap.

Windows 10 obviously isn't finished but the 950 and 950XL are fantastic hardware. It's up to you to decide whether you want to participate in the continued development or wait it out. Seems like you've made a logical decision that works for you.

Myself, this is the first and only phone I've ever felt was worth purchasing at full price. And when that next big thing comes out it should still have some resale value, I hope. With the exception of running Windows Pro with x64 desktop software (and Continuum + Remote Desktop comes pretty darn close), the 950XL literally has every feature I felt was missing from my previous phones.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
If you need a phone buy a phone. If you don't, dont. The 950XL is still a great phone. I am quite happy with my purchase. It is no means mediocre.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's a bit optimistic given the attitude and bias of tech reviewers. Even if it is the best device ever made, because it's Microsoft, the reviews will say it's crap.Windows 10 obviously isn't finished but the 950 and 950XL are fantastic hardware. It's up to you to decide whether you want to participate in the continued development or wait it out. Seems like you've made a logical decision that works for you.Myself, this is the first and only phone I've ever felt was worth purchasing at full price. And when that next big thing comes out it should still have some resale value, I hope. With the exception of running Windows Pro with x64 desktop software (and Continuum + Remote Desktop comes pretty darn close), the 950XL literally has every feature I felt was missing from my previous phones.
First of all, congrats on getting the new toy! Have fun using it, and please let us know how you like it. Second, keep doing the awesome work you do as a developer!

Regarding the attitude and bias of tech reviewers, I seldom care what "they" say. Although I must say I do pay attention to/ trust a handful of them: Daniel Rubino, Paul Thurrott and Tom Warren (the latter for not being too ******-ish and because he also uses an iPhone). I am not really an insider on the fast-ring. Although I enjoy taking part in the OS development, I don't really know much about it.

Regarding the resale value, that's something that concerns me. Windows phones are not really known for a good resale value; rather very few phones do, except the iPhone!

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I suspect, if WP market share has not improved by next year the Surface phone will be built and targeted for business users. Which means:
- intel chip to run real desktop apps via continium
- much thicker and heavier than consumer phones to host a huge battery to handle the intel chip
- since it will be so thick, throw in the 40MP camera for the fans
- they will look more into the future with "real computer in the pocket" message instead of fighting a loosing battle with ios and android.
- They will target business as the only device an employee needs. A monitor/keyboard on the desk and the phone. Which can only be true if it runs desktop apps.

Notice how the original surface and RT failed when they tried to compete with apple/android tablet and only succeeded when they stick to what they know best.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I suspect, if WP market share has not improved by next year the Surface phone will be built and targeted for business users. Which means:
- much thicker and heavier than consumer phones to host a huge battery to handle the intel chip
- they will look more into the future with "real computer in the pocket" message instead of fighting a loosing battle with ios and android.
- They will target business as the only device an employee needs. A monitor/keyboard on the desk and the phone. Which can only be true if it runs desktop apps.

Notice how the original surface and RT failed when they tried to compete with apple/android tablet and only succeeded when they stick to what they know best.

Very true and that will be the phone to get right there should this happen, in the meantime I will get some hands on with the 950xl to get myself back into the windows ecosystem I have been gone since the 920 and this is my first attempt at anything microsoft since. I gave up on PC's their tablets, and phones as I figured you couldn't get this right with devs to get first party apps and great third party no reason to stay. However with all of the hype with portability of IOS apps I come home to roost only hoping its better this time around.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

People were expecting the Surface devices to run Win32 programs. Microsoft didn't explain very well.

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
People were expecting the Surface devices to run Win32 programs. Microsoft didn't explain very well.

I fear they are making the "same" mistake marketing Continuim. It does seem there is zero marketing for Lumia 950/xl, so might be why.. too confusing for 6 pack consumer

"so the phone can connect to a keyboard and monitor to be used as an PC? yes but only MS office and a handful of universal apps will run. What are universal apps?"

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I fear they are making the "same" mistake marketing Continuim. It does seem there is zero marketing for Lumia 950/xl, so might be why.. too confusing for 6 pack consumer

"so the phone can connect to a keyboard and monitor to be used as an PC? yes but only MS office and a handful of universal apps will run. What are universal apps?"

Another user pointed out that the 950 and 950XL are being advertised as running Windows 10. When in fact it's Windows 10 for Mobile.

The general consumer will see 'Running Windows 10' and will assume it means it runs all the regular desktop apps, especially when they learn that Continuum allows them to hook up the phone to a monitor/keyboard/mouse and work in 'desktop' mode.

I don't understand Microsoft's Phone marketing team at all.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
That's a bit optimistic given the attitude and bias of tech reviewers. Even if it is the best device ever made, because it's Microsoft, the reviews will say it's crap.

Windows 10 obviously isn't finished but the 950 and 950XL are fantastic hardware. It's up to you to decide whether you want to participate in the continued development or wait it out. Seems like you've made a logical decision that works for you.

Myself, this is the first and only phone I've ever felt was worth purchasing at full price. And when that next big thing comes out it should still have some resale value, I hope. With the exception of running Windows Pro with x64 desktop software (and Continuum + Remote Desktop comes pretty darn close), the 950XL literally has every feature I felt was missing from my previous phones.

I wouldn't say that just because it's Microsoft the reviews will be crap.

When Microsoft makes an excellent product, they get their cheers, praise, and approval.

Just look at all the positivity around the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 (ignoring the small issues. Every device has some issues)

It's just different with mobile simply because the mobile OS isn't there yet.

The 950 & 950 XL devices aren't really exciting compared to Android competition, and their OS isn't exactly the most polished right now. They are on sale RIGHT NOW, so they will be review based on their condition RIGHT NOW. Daniels sayings make perfect sense because these devices don't at all seem to be phones that have any desire to attract users from other platforms. They just seem like the incremental devices to finally put 930's and 1520'd to rest. It's a shame they couldn't have at least been more aesthetically pleasing. My opinion.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234