Has availability been MS's Fault?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

From the letter quoted in the article:

“Because there has been little consumer demand for Windows 10 Smartphones, Verizon has chosen to not carry the Nokia Lumia 10 in its retail channels. However, if Nokia still wanted to make the device available to Verizon customers, it could have the device certified for use on the Verizon network through Verizon’s Open Development program. To date, Nokia has not chosen to do so,”

Let's see...

"...there has been little consumer demand for Windows 10 Smartphones..." few users were requesting a phone not yet released. Makes sense.

"...
it could have the device certified for use on the Verizon network through Verizon’s Open Development program. To date, Nokia has not chosen to do so,..."??? Nokia can't submit any Windows 10 phones.

The whole thing is corporate smoke blowing to settle a dispute. It reads like a form letter with the blanks poorly filled in. It's more of the lip flapping designed to make problems dissolve rather than provide answers which is entirely typical for such disputes.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Will an "unlocked" 950XL work on Verizon?

Well, now we know why Microsoft added that middle finger emoji in Windows 10....it was directed at Verizon users.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
It's just not a good look overall for Microsoft and their committment to mobile. One of the best capitalized tech firms around. It shouldn't be a resource problem for them.

Because of their experiences with SP3/4 and Win 10, I've had execs at work asking about Windows phones. Long term iPhone users. But since Verizon is our only network, they're just incredulous there's nothing available. And no, I'm not offering up a 735 to replace an iPhone 6 or even 5.

Myself, I'm just tired of fighting something that should be easier. I ordered a Turbo 2 through Motomaker yesterday. I'll keep my ears to the ground, but being stuck with Verizon...well. Realizing I couldn't fight whatever battle Microsoft has with Verizon just turned my position.

I've said it before, but Microsoft really needs to be on Verizon. Whatever the cost. They need to do it to show that they can do it. Like all the other OEMs that do it.

sprtfan

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Oh would you look at that, VZW saying what I've been saying all along!

I'm not saying its not Microsofts fault, but a form letter from Verizon isn't going to necessarily convince me it is either. (odd that they kept calling Microsoft Nokia but whatever)

Also from the article, The Redmond giant hasn?t specifically stated that AT&T has exclusive dibs on the phones, so what?s the problem? There?s definitely more to the story behind the scenes. What else is going on very well be Microsofts fault, but I have a hard time believing that MS would specifically not make there phones available on Verizon for no reason. Maybe to do the updates the way they wanted to, they made an agreement with AT&T? Maybe Verizon would/could make things difficult for MS and they didn't want to deal with similar issues that they did in the past with the Icon? Maybe they have talked to a 3rd party that has plans on releasing a phone with Verizon? I just can' t see how something else is not also at work here because it makes little since that MS would try to limit its user base with out some other mitigating factors.

No matter the reasons, it still sucks for people on Verizon and I'll probably end up with something different next time I upgrade because switching is not really an option for me.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
With T-Mobile CEO going on a twitter rant about how MS never even consulted them about carrying the Lumia flagships, and Verizon claiming the same, has it really been Microsoft's decision all along to only have AT&T carry a new 2015 Lumia flagship?

I'm not saying MS doesn't have any good reason, but peeps have been yelling at carriers when maybe all along it's been Microsoft for peeps to tell at.

Check out this article:

Verizon points the blame at Microsoft when asked about Lumia 950 availability

bono1979

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft could've made a phone that worked on Verizon's network just like lg did with you nexus 5x they just choose not too either too much money or att exclusive

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With T-Mobile CEO going on a twitter rant about how MS never even consulted them about carrying the Lumia flagships, and Verizon claiming the same, has it really been Microsoft's decision all along to only have AT&T carry a new 2015 Lumia flagship?

I'm not saying MS doesn't have any good reason, but peeps have been yelling at carriers when maybe all along it's been Microsoft for peeps to tell at.

Check out this article:

Verizon points the blame at Microsoft when asked about Lumia 950 availability
I see two things in that letter -
1 - "VZW is not interested in selling Windows 10 devices because of poor sales" that statement comes first in the letter, so they acknowledge that they are not interested in selling devices. That also states their inability to sell devices in their store (shows how poor seller they are)
2 - Some executive rep officer writes complete letter stating company as 'Nokia' and product as 'Nokia Lumia 10' !!! God help you better...

MS is at fault with sale of 950 and 950XL in their own store though, I would say thats 100% MS at fault.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon