The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-24-2017 09:04 PM
731 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    You might want to take a look at Samsung's downward sales these days. I'm not saying that's a big opportunity for WP, but it can''t hurt. Samsung is getting hammered by the iPhone at the high end and the el-cheapos at the low end. And the more often reported malware that is showing up and not getting fixed because the carrier's are sitting on their thumbs isn't helping either.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-24-2015 08:59 PM
    And the more often reported malware that is showing up and not getting fixed because the carrier's are sitting on their thumbs isn't helping either.
    I got an update on my Windows Phone early on, within the first month.

That was the last one I got in two years of ownership.

Very disappointing.
    08-24-2015 10:43 PM
    I got an update on my Windows Phone early on, within the first month.

That was the last one I got in two years of ownership.

Very disappointing.

Are you on a WP7 device? Cos WP8.1 devices have been getting a lot of updates.
    08-24-2015 11:09 PM
    I just feel like if Microsoft hadn't offered their services to the competition, it'd be worth staying with.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-24-2015 11:57 PM
    Why do we need Adobe Flash to die, so it would bring more jobs ? Is the only valid argument in favor. Kill flash so bilions of website have to be upgraded to whatever bull**** HTML 5 is. In development for 10 years, still not complete, still not a standard. Adobe flash brought a world of beauty to the internet. I am not a web developer so i don't care but this bull**** about flash has to stop. Is the same bull**** as viruses for windows, get a good internet security package and that's it.
    08-25-2015 12:02 AM
    You don't chose a phone for its app support, you chose a phone for its performance, its hardware and its software. Nokia/Microsoft Lumia are brilliant phones yes they run on Windows phone but the hardware on these phones is second to none. They also have the best battery life too. My Lumia 640XL phablet can run all day with heavy use on battery, even on battery saver I get about 2 hours of use and I can watch over an hour of youtube content on battery saver which kicks in when the battery is at 20%. Yes it can be disheartening to see "app available on iOS and Android" apps such as Snapchat but I rather have no Snapchat and be free from a charging point then having a phone with Snapchat and have to be "glued" to a charging point. The app gap isn't a huge thing for me what is huge is the range and speed that Nokia/Microsoft have innovated the smartphone and or phablets!
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-25-2015 12:19 AM
    For me there is no app gap, what there is is a gap in quality and functionality off apps compared to iOS and Android. My banking app for example, on iOS/Android you can send payments, set up direct debit, cancel payments, an entire range of things on WP all you can do is view balance. Then you have apps like BBC Sports which is a glorified web wrap, and there are a lot of apps like that, just link to the mobile website.
    08-25-2015 12:42 AM
    Why do we need Adobe Flash to die, so it would bring more jobs ? Is the only valid argument in favor. Kill flash so bilions of website have to be upgraded to whatever bull**** HTML 5 is. In development for 10 years, still not complete, still not a standard. Adobe flash brought a world of beauty to the internet. I am not a web developer so i don't care but this bull**** about flash has to stop. Is the same bull**** as viruses for windows, get a good internet security package and that's it.
    Adobe Flash is not just a security problem, but it is a resource hog. I can't wait for it to die on desktop as well as on mobile.
    N_LaRUE, gernerttl, a5cent and 1 others like this.
    08-25-2015 01:47 AM
    Adobe Flash is not just a security problem, but it is a resource hog. I can't wait for it to die on desktop as well as on mobile.
    I think, it's going to be a long time before that happens. How many websites are still using it? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Adobe Flash is so entrenched it's going to take a while for everybody to drop it and switch to HTML5. The only way that will happen is if Apple, Google, and Microsoft ALL pull the plug on it within their respective OS's.
    08-25-2015 02:54 AM
    I just started my MBA, and there's no app for my school, no blackboard app either. The books also each have their own "companion app", but not on WP. I also have a Syma quadcopter, and you guessed it, no WP app. I love WP, but the app gap is killing me.
    natakur likes this.
    08-25-2015 07:01 AM
    I think, it's going to be a long time before that happens. How many websites are still using it? Hundreds of thousands? Millions? Adobe Flash is so entrenched it's going to take a while for everybody to drop it and switch to HTML5. The only way that will happen is if Apple, Google, and Microsoft ALL pull the plug on it within their respective OS's.
    Big sites like Youtube and Netflix even Twitch already support html5. The iPhone doesn't support Flash. The point of no return for Flash has already been reached. It's just a matter of time until lesser sites follow suit.
    N_LaRUE and Laura Knotek like this.
    08-25-2015 07:03 AM
    Are you on a WP7 device? Cos WP8.1 devices have been getting a lot of updates.
    It was a WP 8 device; they never pushed 8.1.
    08-25-2015 08:25 AM
    You don't chose a phone for its app support, you chose a phone for its performance, its hardware and its software. Nokia/Microsoft Lumia are brilliant phones yes they run on Windows phone but the hardware on these phones is second to none. They also have the best battery life too. My Lumia 640XL phablet can run all day with heavy use on battery, even on battery saver I get about 2 hours of use and I can watch over an hour of youtube content on battery saver which kicks in when the battery is at 20%. Yes it can be disheartening to see "app available on iOS and Android" apps such as Snapchat but I rather have no Snapchat and be free from a charging point then having a phone with Snapchat and have to be "glued" to a charging point. The app gap isn't a huge thing for me what is huge is the range and speed that Nokia/Microsoft have innovated the smartphone and or phablets!
    Actually, yes, I *do* choose a phone for app support. Don't presume to impose your requirements and preferences on me.

I switched from WP because A.) The HW kinda sucked and didn't perform well, and B.) App support was "meh" in the beginning and got worse the longer I had my phone.

When I compared Lumia to other phone hardware last month, Lumia was the least impressive of the lot. I got the distinct impression that my carrier (AT&T) is proividing only token support for WP products while they wait for phones that have WP10 installed.

Basically, I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Your priorities and tradeoffs are quite different from mine.
    Last edited by Doohickie; 08-25-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    1jaxstate1 and hb1x like this.
    08-25-2015 08:32 AM
    Apps are software, too.
    08-25-2015 09:59 AM
    I just feel like if Microsoft hadn't offered their services to the competition, it'd be worth staying with.

Agreed. If you're all in on MS services, there's no incentive(or at least, no big one) to switch to WP if you're already using them on iOS/Android. At the same time, MS apps and services are no longer a lock-in or unique factor when it comes to choosing a new/next phone/OS, especially if they work well on other platforms.
    08-25-2015 10:12 AM
    Agreed. If you're all in on MS services, there's no incentive(or at least, no big one) to switch to WP if you're already using them on iOS/Android. At the same time, MS apps and services are no longer a lock-in or unique factor when it comes to choosing a new/next phone/OS, especially if they work well on other platforms.
    I agree with this. While I understand Microsoft's reasoning for getting their services everywhere and believe that to be the correct business decision, it has also given me the freedom to choose another platform for my next phone and get the best of both worlds. If my Microsoft services were only available on Windows Phone, I probably would not be switching.
    08-25-2015 12:24 PM
    If my Microsoft services were only available on Windows Phone, I probably would not be switching.
    That's the Catch 22 that Microsoft finds themselves in with exclusive services vs putting them on all platforms. If everyone were like you, Microsoft might keep their services exclusive.

However, Microsoft discovered that exclusivity did not bring users to WP. It was actually driving customers away from their services. Users were settling for iWorks or Google Docs rather than switching to WP.
    08-25-2015 01:29 PM
    Yes there is and let me justify it: On bigger services there might be alternatives, but on smaller or local (I am from Greece) services there are no alternatives, not to say that we don't have wp apps but most of them don't have either alternatives or official ones.
    08-25-2015 02:22 PM
    It was a WP 8 device; they never pushed 8.1.
    Who's "they" and what phone do you have? Not all WP8 devices were slated to get WP8.1.
    08-25-2015 02:22 PM
    That's the Catch 22 that Microsoft finds themselves in with exclusive services vs putting them on all platforms. If everyone were like you, Microsoft might keep their services exclusive.

However, Microsoft discovered that exclusivity did not bring users to WP. It was actually driving customers away from their services. Users were settling for iWorks or Google Docs rather than switching to WP.
    You are both right, bui MS services being on other platform makes it so much easier to switch away from the platform
    08-25-2015 02:25 PM
    You are both right, bui MS services being on other platform makes it so much easier to switch away from the platform
    Well yes that's true. But which is better:

1. Gaining (or keeping) a few Windows Phone users and losing lots of Office users by keeping services exclusive?
    2. Losing a few WP users and keeping Office users by making services available anywhere?
    08-25-2015 02:28 PM
    Agreed. If you're all in on MS services, there's no incentive(or at least, no big one) to switch to WP if you're already using them on iOS/Android.
    Disagree. There should be an incentive to use WP. And that incentive should be that WP is clearly better.

Clearly, the market doesn't think it is.
    08-25-2015 02:36 PM
    Not all WP8 devices were slated to get WP8.1.
    That's my point.

My WP was an HTC 8X on AT&T. I don't know who pushed the first update out to me; I suppose it was AT&T. Whether the phone wasn't capable of it or AT&T just didn't bother, I never got a push to 8.1. I was basically abandoned.
    08-25-2015 02:39 PM
    So it sounds like MS needs to put out a better phone if they want to keep customers. If their product was clearly better, people would buy it.
    kilrathi29 likes this.
    08-25-2015 02:41 PM
    Disagree. There should be an incentive to use WP. And that incentive should be that WP is clearly better.

Clearly, the market doesn't think it is.
    Are you saying that Mike is incorrect? I believe he is accurate in saying that there is currently little incentive to switch to WP as the market stands now.

I agree with you that the incentive to use WP should be that it is clearly better. So far, it isn't, according to the opinion of 97.5% of smartphone users. It is up to Microsoft to make it clearly better, without question!
    08-25-2015 02:58 PM
731 ... 89101112 ...