The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-24-2017 09:04 PM
731 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Actually, yes, I *do* choose a phone for app support. Don't presume to impose your requirements and preferences on me.

I switched from WP because A.) The HW kinda sucked and didn't perform well, and B.) App support was "meh" in the beginning and got worse the longer I had my phone.

When I compared Lumia to other phone hardware last month, Lumia was the least impressive of the lot. I got the distinct impression that my carrier (AT&T) is proividing only token support for WP products while they wait for phones that have WP10 installed.

Basically, I disagree with pretty much everything you said. Your priorities and tradeoffs are quite different from mine.

That's why its a discussion ur perfectly fine to disagree!!
    08-25-2015 04:25 PM
    Apps are software, too.

Yes apps are software too but I feel like battery and performance is much better in my own opinion there is no point having a wealth of apps on a device that only gives you three to four hours battery time especially if u are not near a charging point!
    libra89 likes this.
    08-25-2015 04:28 PM
    Here is an idea to all those who hate their windows device sell it and move to android or apple. If your unhappy move OS its that simple. Nokia and Microsoft have done amazing work in packing so much into a little device like the 520 and being highly innovative. Apple were selling the 4s and 5s that had the same hardware inside just in a slightly different packaging. The only innovative phone the have is the new 6S how many years does it take for them to stop deceiving the customer by selling them last years device in a slightly altered shell. Ita the old saying "Don't pee on me and tell me its raining" lol
    libra89, gaumzi, k72 and 1 others like this.
    08-25-2015 04:35 PM
    And sadly, yet another MAJOR service is being announced, and as usual, no mention of WP / W10M.

YouTube?s answer to Twitch finally launches tomorrow | The Verge

This continues to prove there is no future for a Windows mobile solution gaining acceptance in the marketplace. It's a long, silent and agonising death for WP / W10M fans. I understand that W10M is technically still not RTM, but even so, a major developer like this should have announced a W10 universal app to coincide with this launch to get things rolling. It's a blatant smack in the face by Google.

And from a developer such as this, what reason would they really have to provide an app for this service, when it runs in a browser anyway? Reasons such as this is why I don't see the Store growing - EVER, and to correlate, that factor is what will be the ultimate death knell for WP / W10M - as usual, that being that simply just about no one wants to develop for it.

I'm starting to approach the idea that it should be best to really call it a day for the platform. It's not fair to users to provide a platform with no ecosystem. It doesn't cut it in todays modern world.
    Last edited by Mindi B; 08-25-2015 at 04:54 PM.
    08-25-2015 04:44 PM
    It doesn't cut it in todays modern world.
    Actually it does cut it for 3% of the market that uses phones. In a few months Microsoft will do what no one has done before, and that is release a phone that basically runs your desktop OS. We couldn't justify calling the new set of Microsoft phones "smartphones".... we should call them "handheld computers that allow us to call people". I have a feeling that people will start giving up on the "more apps are better" approach, and start to care about the OS. People choose Android or iPhone like they are trying to pick between two evils all because those brands have more apps! You don't need an app if you can use the service on Microsoft Edge. I don't get upset because my public water company has an app for iPhone and not for WP. I'll go on the browser because it is the same thing as the app.
    djeire84 likes this.
    08-25-2015 07:48 PM
    And sadly, yet another MAJOR service is being announced, and as usual, no mention of WP / W10M.

YouTube?s answer to Twitch finally launches tomorrow | The Verge

This continues to prove there is no future for a Windows mobile solution gaining acceptance in the marketplace. It's a long, silent and agonising death for WP / W10M fans. I understand that W10M is technically still not RTM, but even so, a major developer like this should have announced a W10 universal app to coincide with this launch to get things rolling. It's a blatant smack in the face by Google.

And from a developer such as this, what reason would they really have to provide an app for this service, when it runs in a browser anyway? Reasons such as this is why I don't see the Store growing - EVER, and to correlate, that factor is what will be the ultimate death knell for WP / W10M - as usual, that being that simply just about no one wants to develop for it.

I'm starting to approach the idea that it should be best to really call it a day for the platform. It's not fair to users to provide a platform with no ecosystem. It doesn't cut it in todays modern world.
    Allow me to highlight the most important point for you from the article -

Called YouTube Gaming, the service was expected to launch some time this summer and it looks like tomorrow will finally be the day. The service is expected to go live on the web, as well as through mobile apps on both iOS and Android.
    No dev or companies give a damn to this forsaken Windows Phone platform. Is a hard cold fact, sadly.
    08-25-2015 08:43 PM
    That's why its a discussion ur perfectly fine to disagree!!
    I get that. It's just that your post I responded to started out, "You don't chose a phone for its app support,..." Don't try to tell me how I choose a phone. It's presumptuous.
    08-25-2015 11:14 PM
    In a few months Microsoft will do what no one has done before, and that is release a phone that basically runs your desktop OS. We couldn't justify calling the new set of Microsoft phones "smartphones".... we should call them "handheld computers that allow us to call people".
    ...except that people don't use phones and desktop computers for the same things. Without a full-sized keyboard and display, a phone will never be a productivity tool on par with a desktop or even a laptop. It's a neat trick, and I thought it would be an advantage two years ago when I bought my WinPhone for my phone and my computer to be highly integrated. As it turned out, although I tried the version of Office on my WP, I never saw a valuable use of Office on a box with a 4.3" screen. Neat trick, but utterly valueless beyond the novelty of it.

I have a feeling that people will start giving up on the "more apps are better" approach, and start to care about the OS. People choose Android or iPhone like they are trying to pick between two evils all because those brands have more apps!
    Dream on. I just switched from WP to Android and honestly, they are both just Operating Systems. WP was a good place to start because it's pretty simple. But Android has far, far more options for tailoring the interface to user preference. In fact, the biggest frustration I had with Android early on is there were too many options and settings. I've been working through them and the result will be a phone that is set up precisely the way I want it. About the only thing you can do with WP is rearrange the tiles.

You don't need an app if you can use the service on Microsoft Edge. I don't get upset because my public water company has an app for iPhone and not for WP. I'll go on the browser because it is the same thing as the app.
    Sure, but my WP didn't do a very good job of that on WP8. It was clunky and often didn't even find a mobile version of a given website. Just like apps, there was also the promise, the potential, that things will improve. But with Windows it seems like that promise is always a release off. GDR1 was going to fix the memory leak. 8.1 was going to make the tiles better. 10 will solve EVERYTHING. Honest. Just wait.

I got tired of waiting and went ot Android. So nice to have a mature OS.
    Last edited by Doohickie; 08-26-2015 at 07:03 AM.
    08-25-2015 11:35 PM
    Actually it does cut it for 3% of the market that uses phones. In a few months Microsoft will do what no one has done before, and that is release a phone that basically runs your desktop OS. We couldn't justify calling the new set of Microsoft phones "smartphones".... we should call them "handheld computers that allow us to call people". I have a feeling that people will start giving up on the "more apps are better" approach, and start to care about the OS. People choose Android or iPhone like they are trying to pick between two evils all because those brands have more apps! You don't need an app if you can use the service on Microsoft Edge. I don't get upset because my public water company has an app for iPhone and not for WP. I'll go on the browser because it is the same thing as the app.

Omg you have hit the nail on the head!! Haven't seen or read something as on point as this epic post. I mean like people on about apps and that are actually forgetting that phones are evolving and some manufacturers are short changing their customers, with windows phone what you see I what you get, they don't promise their customer the earth and don't deliver! "Oh no I cant get my Gas providers app" here is a more secure option pay bills and that on your personal pc, that's why there is so much credit card frauds peoples phones go missing and their pesky wealth of apps give criminals all their Christmases at once!
    Nice post and phablets are definitely the future!!! :)
    08-25-2015 11:48 PM
    Very nice article.
    08-26-2015 12:27 AM
    There is certainly the gap and, having a Windows Phone and a cheap Android tablet, I can see it easily. No official snapchat or periscope. Official Twitter app is so much inferior to the one on Android. The only app that is superior is Instagram's client 6tag from our dear Rudy. This is truly the best client ever! Again, the official instagram app is STILL a beta! There is also an issue with Youtube. All the apps that we have on WP are nowhere near the official app on Android. Thanks Google for being a good sport and making it impossible for us, WP users, to untilize your services!
    08-26-2015 04:42 AM
    Microsoft's management refusal to build devices that will allow developers to port their app to wp. App developers of Android are building apps that use higher specs and cannot port to wp without time-consuming modifications to make it work. Microsoft need to build devices of similar specs to make porting easier without so many modifications which are time-consuming to make it work. Microsoft meanwhile is working to make porting easier to wp they need to balance that equation with support for similar spec Android devices. Then they will get apps almost the same time as Android but with a plus for the developers in that they can port over into a universal app that will play on many different windows devices including pc and laptops.
    08-26-2015 06:20 AM
    Is there really an app gap? Yes there is.

But when I first bought Lumia phone, I don't really care about the lack of apps option because I like the Windows OS. It's lightweight and beautiful. And also it has Cortana, the best AI compared to Siri or Google Now for me. And for the apps, the third party apps was good enough to fulfill my needs.

But when Microsoft launched its own developed app (I can't remember what the app was) a few months ago on iOS and Android FIRST, I lose faith. How can you expect app developers to develop an app for Microsoft Windows Phone, when the company that made the OS itself, launch an app for other/rivals OS first.

And that is why I jumped ship to Android last week. Not because of the app gap, but because Microsoft doesn't seem to want Windows Phone to thrive.
    anon(5843918), MikeX74 and chmun77 like this.
    08-26-2015 06:36 AM
    I had Lumia 920 and decided to switch to OnePlus One because the app gap.

I hope that developers will have interest in porting their Android and iOS apps to Windows. It's the only fix for the app gap.
    08-26-2015 04:38 PM
    No, it doesn't cut it. If it did, the woes that WP / W10M suffers from, and countless discussions like this one would not exist. Furthermore, the market would be interested and the platform would actually have services to offer, which it does not.

Each time a new version of iOS is in the works, people talk about it. Each time a new Android build is coming, people are talking about it. W10M is in the works, no one cares. No developer has expressed interest, could it be any more obvious than that? I'm not even making this up, it's actually happening right in front of you. It's so clear you don't even need stats or research to know.

Your assessment of MSFT's amazing handheld computers is irrelevant in context of current day reality. MSFT have released fantastic products before, with such lacklustre reaction that they've been faded out over time. Their mobile solution is next in line for that. It's not what people want, as fantastic as it is. And in defence of MSFT, I think it's really unfortunate, because I really do believe that they innovate on a level these days that Apple can only boast of. MSFT are really doing it and should be commended far more than they receive appraisal for.

People will not give up the "apps are better" approach. Not until, as mentioned earlier in this discussion, true web apps become the norm, replacing native apps. But we are 5 or more years away from that. And sadly, that is where it comes full circle - MSFT often release ideas to the public as a product far too ahead of their time. It's bold, and I do think the market should be more progressive in its thinking, but it's just not. And this cycle is about to repeat once more with W10M.

Look at Windows 8 - I don't think there was anything wrong with ditching the Start Menu, but the majority of people out there absolutely lost it. So the same applies with your suggestion of "ditching apps" - the market is nowhere ready to take that kind of step. And when it finally is ready, it'll be a version of iOS or Android which has a web-app centric philosophy behind it which will lead the way, not a MSFT mobile solution. Sadly, the market will have forgotten completely that W10M actually did it first. And it won't be the first time that's happened.
    Last edited by Mindi B; 08-26-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: ..
    08-26-2015 04:49 PM
    Is there really an app gap? Yes there is.

But when I first bought Lumia phone, I don't really care about the lack of apps option because I like the Windows OS. It's lightweight and beautiful. And also it has Cortana, the best AI compared to Siri or Google Now for me. And for the apps, the third party apps was good enough to fulfill my needs.

But when Microsoft launched its own developed app (I can't remember what the app was) a few months ago on iOS and Android FIRST, I lose faith. How can you expect app developers to develop an app for Microsoft Windows Phone, when the company that made the OS itself, launch an app for other/rivals OS first.

And that is why I jumped ship to Android last week. Not because of the app gap, but because Microsoft doesn't seem to want Windows Phone to thrive.
    Indeed. And MS apps on Android are so much better too. For example, I can set or disable folder sharing capabilities on the Android app, but cannot be achieved on the WP app. Is so ridiculous!
    theefman likes this.
    08-26-2015 09:06 PM
    Indeed. And MS apps on Android are so much better too. For example, I can set or disable folder sharing capabilities on the Android app, but cannot be achieved on the WP app. Is so ridiculous!
    Yes you are right. Specially the issue is with the Microsofts own apps. OneDrive works so great on Android. Cortana is working great.

08-26-2015 09:55 PM
    The main problem with the apps is that all the new services you can find (thermostats, surveillance cameras, home gadgets, etc) are not on Windows Phone. I am happy with what I have but my wife is always telling me: "You see??? I want the Fly Lady app and it is not for WP. Etc." I hope this Project Astoria will change the game, because Windows has more options to me and they are better phones too. I have my 1520 for almost two years now, and still the battery last about two days, and I am running W10. I will not go back to Android.
    Doohickie likes this.
    08-26-2015 10:06 PM
    NO. You see, App gap MEANS you dont have apps to do important tasks. On WP, we have:
    1. Easy Transfer - WIFI file sharing
    2. wpTorrent - To download torrent files right from WP
    3. VLC - To play ANY video format you can name
    4. Files/Storage Sense - To browse files on your mini PC aka WP
    5. Internet Download Manager - To download in the background
    6. myTube! - The best youtube client, even better than the official youtube app!
    and many more. Hence, there is no app gap.
    Yes there may be some apps on rival OS which you may not find on WP. At the same time, there may be some WP apps that you cannot find on rival OS. We cannot call that as an APP GAP. You have SUPERBEAM on Android. We have EASY TRANSFER. Can you call this an app gap?
    08-26-2015 11:06 PM
    Can you call this an app gap?
    You've got the point, but you see, experience matters and, being able to compare, I see that most of the "mainstream" apps on WP are inferior to their Android counterparts. I think that's a gap. No?
    08-27-2015 12:31 AM
    I am starting to notice something with this thread and many others on this forum recently. To me it seems like WP has peaked and is now in decline. For years we were told WP was a new operating system, give it time for developers to develop apps and for the operating system to mature. At some point however it seems to have died a death, people have given up and jumped to iOS and Android and rather than W10 mobile improving things I think Microsoft are flogging a dead horse. This saddens me as I love Windows Phone, the app situation is what has killed WP unfortunately.
    08-27-2015 12:55 AM
    true web apps become the norm, replacing native apps.
    I completely disagree with this whole webapp and cloud concept. Why do we have to depend on net service when we can have everythong right there in the phone or pc? And what about over half of the world where internet it not just slow but also too costly? Damn, it isn't even available at some of the places. Native apps will never be dumped as long as there are such places.
    08-27-2015 01:01 AM
    I completely disagree with this whole webapp and cloud concept. Why do we have to depend on net service when we can have everythong right there in the phone or pc? And what about over half of the world where internet it not just slow but also too costly? Damn, it isn't even available at some of the places. Native apps will never be dumped as long as there are such places.
    I don't agree with it much myself, but if you really do think about it in terms of where things are roughly going and hinting towards, web-apps are the next version of the web. Eventually everything will become remote, and the web itself will just become a transport layer.

Check out the previous 4-5 pages of this thread and you'll see a5cent makes some good posts about the idea. They're good points.
    08-27-2015 02:32 AM
    I am sticking with my Lumia WP Icon at least until Windows 10 comes out. App Gap can only be solved with 3 things:

-Incentive to build apps on the WP platform, when can be greatly increased with universal Apps. Building an app which will work on the 75 million windows 10 desktop/laptops is a pretty good incentive. That is on its way
    -Creating an easy portable interface in the app development which would make it easier for an app developer to add their app. This is also in the works.
    -A Flagship phone. I hope M$ does this. We need an identifiable phone type.

All of those things are on the horizon. The Windows 10 Mobile plan is a good one. This is the real test. I am already seeing app makers make Universal Apps like Plex & Opera Mini. These are good signs. I have a BLU Android phone (Cheap from eBay) sitting on my desk and I use it if I need to do something app wise.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-27-2015 04:34 AM
    Yes. No Clash of Clans.
    08-27-2015 05:14 AM
731 ... 910111213 ...