The Windows Phone App Gap Thread

Pavel Jezek

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I feel like the main reason for most people to not get WP or switchto another OS is the absence of applications and I understand it. I myself am frustrated by the absence of (what else than) Snapchat. While all my friends are snapchatting all I can do is look at my screen hoping that one day I will be able to join them. But that's not what I wanted to talk about.

Few days back there was a leak of information about project Astoria and people talking about getting their desired Android applications to work on W10M. I was excited about the news, so I decided to join the crowd and try some Android apps on my own. I did some research before and found out that Snapchat does't work (I might be wrong), so I went to all my friends with android phones and asked about apps I should try on my W10M.

After about an hour of disscussion no one could suggest a reasonable app for me to install. The reason is simple, I already had them. I already had native apps ( like Uber, Instagram, Shazam), unofficial clients (6tag, 6tin, Telescope) or good alternatives.

For sure there is plenty of apps missing (I can't see any Couchsurfing app, etc.) and there are people needing those apps, but I think we have fairly good base.

I think the reason for people thinking we don't have apps is that they heard it somewhere and/or they just don't know. For most of the users I'm sure there is more than plenty of apps.

So, is there really that huge app gap everyone is talking about?

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
re: Is there really an app gap on WP?

Amazon apps would be great. Better alternatives or official gapps. Also missing some bank apps like Chase

lumiafeeder

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site

Yeah the app gap is a big game breaker for Windows Phone, while it is keep getting better there are still a lot of apps missing, but i think most people that buy a Windows phone know about the lack of apps and dont care about it

Pavel Jezek

May 29, 2014
Visit site

And I think there is good amount of people who would go with WP knowing there is not as big gap as they might think.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Amazon apps would be great. Better alternatives or official gapps. Also missing some bank apps like Chase
Amazon has their apps of Audible (which was just made a universal app for W10), Kindle and their general app, unless you mean another kind of app.

I think it depends on the apps you use and/or choose to use to see if the app gap affects you.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Amazon has their apps of Audible (which was just made a universal app for W10), Kindle and their general app, unless you mean another kind of app.

I think it depends on the apps you use and/or choose to use to see if the app gap affects you.
The missing Amazon apps are Prime Video and Prime Music.

NickNick43

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

Yeah Amazon music and photos (with auto backup) as someone who uses multiple devices with various os types these would make the transition better as I have no desire to switch or pay for another service with these bundled into prime. I am optimistic that the universal app will change there stance on creating these

celticmagick

May 23, 2015
Visit site

I find that people are sold on this idea of apps, apps, apps gotta have my apps (thank you, Apple). The reality is, people for the most part use a handful of apps on a regular basis. While users of Android and iOS brag about all the apps they have, most of which are gathering dust.

Apple, then Android, will be the first to get official apps and specialty apps and will continue to do so until there is a market shift. The latter is a big selling point for an important part of the market. The others use iOS and Android for status symbols and social acceptance.

giustopio

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I think a real problem are new apps (read: games) that don't arrive on wp. Example: Angry Birds 2. Why didn't it come to wp?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

And I think there is good amount of people who would go with WP knowing there is not as big gap as they might think.

Eliminating the app gap tomorrow would not convince a notable number of people to switch. Why would people switch to WP for apps they already have on iOS or Android? They wouldn't. The app gap is a problem, as it is driving people away from WP. Closing that gap won't draw people towards WP however.

The lack of at least one signature and stand out feature, something that draws people towards WP, is the single biggest issue WP has. It has been for years. Without that, it simply doesn't matter whether the app gap is closed or not.

People who are already on WP and who want more apps will be excited by the iOS and Android bridges. Nobody else cares.

Last edited:

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Yeah the app gap is a big game breaker for Windows Phone, while it is keep getting better there are still a lot of apps missing, but i think most people that buy a Windows phone know about the lack of apps and dont care about it

It's like you didn't read the original post.... The guy is basically saying there is no app gap, and you say the app gap is a big game breaker.

I my self joined the crowd and tried getting some apps.... Couldn't really find something interesting, I already have everything I use.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

I think but it depends on user

For me it exist
I read webtoons but unable to find any app for that.
I also want Android central app.
I need an app for WordPress but the available one is total garbage
Now this brings another topic

Quality of apps
Most of the which are available on WP are total garbage or inferior quality apps.
I don't know if you are taking this into account or not.
Or
Should we take this into account.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Windows Phones just aren't cool or hip and the app gap is real.. Most apps which are there lack in feature parity with other two platforms.. iOS and Android apps do look and work better and get updated with all new features more frequently than WP.. Games are another issue, games come so late if at all come to WP that everyone else had already finished playing them and already moved to the next cool one..Nothing stand out in WP, no unique feature in compare to other platforms besides the tiles which again too futuristic that people often don't like it.. Hardware choices are also limited.. No flagship in two years.. No mettle phones, no gimmicks (finger print scanner and alike which does sell) nothing...limited OEMs supporting the platform half heartedly.. All in all the perception is it's the third underdeveloped ecosystem which received nothing first, not cool, not hip and mostly only liked by fan boys either of Nokia s or Microsoft s... And I don't think anything gonna change this soon..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

I think but it depends on user

For me it exist
I read webtoons but unable to find any app for that.
I also want Android central app.
I need an app for WordPress but the available one is total garbage
Now this brings another topic

Quality of apps
Most of the which are available on WP are total garbage or inferior quality apps.
Or

Of course, we should.. Apps are really less functional and some are really ugly, they are just developed for the sake of developing cause Microsoft paid them money, they haven't seen an update in years.. We don't even have a good Facebook app after all these years..

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site

For me the main apps missing are a proper BBC iPlayer and iPlayer Radio which support downloads (rather than a basic browser wrapper) and BT Sport. Which is why I have an Android tablet to fill the app gap which I use basically as a media player - the larger screen doesn't hurt for this either.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

If the app gap was eliminated tomorrow, the number of people that would convince to try WP is so small that it's irrelevant. Why would people change to WP for apps they already have on iOS or Android? They wouldn't. The app gap is a problem, as it is driving people away from WP. Closing that gap won't draw people towards WP however.

The lack of at least one signature and stand out feature, something that draws people towards WP, is the single biggest issue WP has. It has been for years. Without that, it simply doesn't matter whether the app gap is closed or not.
I agree with you on both points. If someone left WP and switched to iOS or Android due to certain apps, getting those apps on WP would not be a reason for him/her to switch back to WP in and of itself.

However, that person might be inclined to switch back to WP if a specific feature were available for WP that is not available for iOS or Android. This feature would need to be something much bigger than Live Tiles.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

^ Yup. When the average Android user hears "live tiles", they think "large icons and crippled widgets". Although that's not really correct, the actual differences are too subtle to be useful as an effective sales pitch, not to mention that widgets have a few of their own advantages.

Live tiles are the face of WP, and as such they are a relevant branding tool, but that's it. A few of us may like them, but as a marketable feature they are irrelevant.

watchaa

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Quality of apps
Or

Yes,
I'm agree.
The app gap is not a problem because most principal apps are here.
The big problem is quality of apps!
On android the same app is always better with more features and functions the the same app on windows.
This is the principal problem I think.
And that's makes a big difference!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb