The Windows Phone App Gap Thread

lparsons21

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
re: Is there really an app gap on WP?

The fallacy of thinking that W10 will fix the gap is that most corporate/equipment apps are missing in Windows too. Instead things like banks and such use the web. While that is fine for many things, on a phone the web browser just suck because of the small screen they have to display on imo.

tallarob

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

I love my Windows phone and hate the thought of going back to iPhone, but there are several apps I can think of right off the top of my head:

I just bought a new golf swing analyzer (SkyPro) and it works only with iOS and Android. - Thankfully I have an old iPad
Epocrates
Infinity TV app
Publix (local grocery store chain)
Acuralink - for accessing info on my car
Golf Channel app
I'm not a snapchatter, so I don't worry about that. Most of the big apps seem to be covered but it is the smaller specialty type apps where the deficiencies really show up.
I get by fine with the apps I have, but there is no denying that Windows mobile falls short in the app category. I'm hoping Windows 10 universal apps will start to fill in the gaps.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

The fallacy of thinking that W10 will fix the gap is that most corporate/equipment apps are missing in Windows too. Instead things like banks and such use the web. While that is fine for many things, on a phone the web browser just suck because of the small screen they have to display on imo.

Yes. Here is something else to consider. Much of what you mentioned can be accessed via a webpage. However, the problem is that the mobile webpage, if they have one, isn't as capable as the app. My credit union has an app for iOS and Android, but not for WP. I can use the mobile webpage to pay bills, transfer funds, etc. But only the app allowed me to deposit a check. Is THAT a deal breaker for me? Right now, no. Like I said previously, there are some apps that I wish I had, but they are not show stoppers at the moment.

Am I contemplating jumping ship to either Android or iPhone... Yes. I thought about going back to Android, but I still think the OS is too fractured and hodge podge. iOS although blah and IMO, old and used up, would be for me a better option I think. From my experience with Apple products, they seem to play a little better with Windows than Android does.

Right now, I'm holding off jumping for two reasons.

1. Cost. I don't want to have to spend money again on apps I already own.
2. I'm taking a wait and see approach on Windows 10 Mobile. I've already upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop and SP3 and love the new OS. It is good looking, smooth, and more intuitive than Windows 8.1 was. I'm a Verizon customer, and right now it seems that Verizon is lukewarm on Windows Mobile devices. Although, there are rumors that Microsoft may make the 950/950XL available for all carriers. There are also rumors that HTC MAY release the M9 in a Windows variant, and even LG MAY release the G4 in a Windows variant. If HTC and LG do that, then I can see a tad more interest in Windows Mobile devices. HTC and LG have better name recognition in the US than Lumia does. If Microsoft can capitalize on that, then I see a better future with Windows Mobile devices. And name recognition is a big deal, even for app developers.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Agree, but i like that you are posting from Android FOR Windows Phone issues. That means you have studied WP and probably have to see much improvement with half the years of WP into the market. And there is also WP 10 Mobile that is not yet official, then we will see the crowd`s acceptance...

And what is more, most Lumia phone actually act like flagships, without a ton of cores, even with half a gigabyte of RAM...

I am Windows Phone users since last two years and two months.. 1020 is still my primary phone and camera.. 1320 is a test device which is running not so impressive features wise and ugly and inconsistent UI wise Windows 10 Mobile... All I can say is WP 8 was a great OS and after that WP 8.1 and W10M are just downgrades in speed, stability, UI, look and feel.. I added an Android tablet last year and that's why I am not missing any apps or games and I can clearly see how far WP is behind.. This combo plus my ipod touch work for me, so I am not gonna leave Windows as long as my phones don't die.. My Android tablet never lags, no resuming, loading and I enjoy using all the basic apps and games on it like WC, Facebook, YouTube, Gmail, Maps and Twitter and many more, I have to say I never really enjoyed using these basic apps on WP..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Here's a very small example of my quality over quantity argument. I think the apps that are already available need to be either updated or replaced. Here is our very own Windows Central App on Android and Windows Phone. Notice how the poll is embedded in the Android app and missing in the Windows Phone one. Again not a huge deal. But you add up these small features missing on just about every single cross platform app and you can see the vast difference between them.uploadfromtaptalk1440790896558.jpguploadfromtaptalk1440790907329.png

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

737 Pilot

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site

To each his own. The convenience of having a number of apps that I use on the go makes Windows Phone very deficient. While I own 3 Windows Phones as MP3 players it just reinforces the fact that about 20% of my regularly used apps are not available and probably never will be. While most people talk about the Top 100 it is really the smaller ones that I miss - NHL team app, Baseball team app, Credit Unions, Brokerage houses, credit card apps - I could go on and on. That means my only real choices are iOS (I still refuse to pay the Apple Premium) and Android. Android has gotten much better and there are many good phones at the budget (Moto E), mid range (Moto G, Zenphone 2, Alcatel Idol 3, HTC Desire 626) and of course the high end. While I believe the recent decision by Motorola to sell one model with comprehensive radio support (all 4 major carriers - one model with World Phone capability, also) and now Microsoft to sell direct are the right moves I believe Microsoft will have even less brand recognition as I'm fairly sure that most people don't even know the Microsoft Store exists. I believe they will be lucky to hold on to the 2-3% share they currently have.

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

Did you all know that Windows Phone sales increased by 45%? [/url]

Hmmm... and why is that?

The reason for the bump in smartphone sales with declining revenue was Microsoft's emphasis on low-end units, particularly in the fastest-growing segment: emerging markets.

So they aspire to be the Kia of smartphones. If it keeps them around, great, but it's not exactly a compelling narrative to me.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site

You say your Android tablet never lags, That means nothing to guy who has one that does lag...mine

My Lumia 1520.3 doesn't lag. I bet there are plenty people who would beg to differ when talking about theirs.

You either want windows phone or you don't.

I miss my banking app. It's been over a year since I had it. I thought I was going to get sick, go through withdrawals or possibly die without my banking app.
But oddly none of that happen and the world still turns. Imagine that.

For all the people who are complaining about a device and or platform while knowing there is another platform available with all your little bells and whitsles, it just sounds silly.
It's clear you have insecurity issues. You don't have the guts to leave windows phone. But you are happy making everybody miserable with complaints.
I DARE ANY OF YOU TO LEAVE.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

So they aspire to be the Kia of smartphones. If it keeps them around, great, but it's not exactly a compelling narrative to me.

Right now, the low-end market is being courted by everybody. Even Apple got into it with the iPhone 5c. Although, I don't think they did very well, in that they haven't released a low-end version of the iPhone 6...at least not yet.

If it promotes Microsoft services and gets more of its devices in peoples hands, then that is a good thing. If I remember correctly, Samsung, LG, and HTC didn't immediately jump into the flagship arena. They started in the mid to low-end markets and then worked their way into the flagship market.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site

You say your Android tablet never lags, That means nothing to guy who has one that does lag...mine

My Lumia 1520.3 doesn't lag. I bet there are plenty people who would beg to differ when talking about theirs.

I miss my banking app. It's been over a year since I had it. I thought I was going to get sick, go through withdrawals or possibly die without my banking app.

For all the people who are complaining about a device and or platform while knowing there is another platform available with all your little bells and whitsles, it just sounds silly.
It's clear you have insecurity issues. You don't have the guts to leave windows phone. But you are happy making everybody miserable with complaints.

"Lag" is very subjective to different people. On Windows Phone, "lag" is represented by "Resuming". To me, if I move back to an opened app and instead of presenting me the UI, it is showing me a text "Resuming" and this is lag. On the other hand, whenever I switch between apps on my Note 4, the UI appeared instantly and ready to be used.

Also, background processing sucks big time on windows phone. Casting video via TubeCast to the TV doesn't work when the phone is locked. The streaming will just stop and video freezes on the TV. The phone need to be awake in order to have nice streaming experiences.

And I can tell you, I'M LEAVING WINDOWS PHONE FOR AN IPHONE BECAUSE I HAD ENOUGH OF ITS NONSENSES SINCE WP7. And oh, you cannot stop people from complaining in the forum. Take it or leave it.

PS: I hate doing Internet banking via the IE on Windows phones. The browser is freaking slow and rendering looks weird.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site

"Lag" is very subjective to different people. On Windows Phone, "lag" is represented by "Resuming". To me, if I move back to an opened app and instead of presenting me the UI, it is showing me a text "Resuming" and this is lag. On the other hand, whenever I switch between apps on my Note 4, the UI appeared instantly and ready to be used.

Also, background processing sucks big time on windows phone. Casting video via TubeCast to the TV doesn't work when the phone is locked. The streaming will just stop and video freezes on the TV. The phone need to be awake in order to have nice streaming experiences.

And I can tell you, I'M LEAVING WINDOWS PHONE FOR AN IPHONE BECAUSE I HAD ENOUGH OF ITS NONSENSES SINCE WP7. And oh, you cannot stop people from complaining in the forum. Take it or leave it.

PS: I hate doing Internet banking via the IE on Windows phones. The browser is freaking slow and rendering looks weird.

You aren't going anywhere. Quit whining. If you were leaving why are you still here trying to explain why you're leaving. THAT'S NONSENSE!

That doesn't make sense. JUST LEAVE. I can assure you nobody will miss you. You will be in the Apple forum complaining by the end of the week.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site

Why would I leave when I already have devices of other platforms.. I like all of them and all the platforms, right now Android is my favorite though and I don't mind babysitting number of gadgets.. But for sure I won't buy anymore W10M phones.. And whenever my WP s die, I would pick up a Nokia, hopefully they will be there with Android powering them..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

smogz

May 16, 2015
Visit site

I was using Windows phone before I crashed the device and had to go back to my old Android phone. For me there was no big app-gap. The problem for me was the Google-apps missing and the fact that lots of apps, for example Spotify, feels 3-4 generations older than the Android-apps

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

A bit aggressive for no reason really. If people feel things are missing it's a personal thing and nothing do to with how good or bad WP is.

As for leaving, I stopped using WP last November. I went full Android and I'm happy. So have others. We're still here on the forum because we still support MS and WP.

I won't say I'll never own another WP but currently Android suits me better. I'm happy to wait for WP to mature more then go back.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

"Lag" is very subjective to different people. On Windows Phone, "lag" is represented by "Resuming". To me, if I move back to an opened app and instead of presenting me the UI, it is showing me a text "Resuming" and this is lag.
Not really.

Using your definition, every OS with a boot sequence lags, since it takes a few seconds to boot into the OS. Other than giving you a way to apply a "bad word" to every OS in existence, your definition of the term "lag" serves absolutely no purpose.

The term "lag" traditionally refers to a touch interface's inability to precisely track your finger movements. It is objectively measured as the largest delta between the distance your finger travels on screen and the distance traveled by the UI beneath it (over a period of time). Stutter is just that delta becoming larger and smaller over a short time frame, so that too is correctly referred to as "lag".

The resuming delay is not lag. Neither is the time it takes to launch an app on iOS or Android. The time it takes for Chrome, Safari or Edge to send, receive and render a web page is also not reasonably referred to as "lag".

Yes, these operations may perform more or less well on different operating systems. App switching on WP sometimes doesn't perform as well as one might expect, but it's not reasonably referred to as lag, at least not without every conceivable delay on every OS also being called lag, which is pretty much senseless.

I'm not disputing your findings. I completely agree that task switching on WP has long been in desperate need of performance improvements. I just prefer terms to be more than meaningless buzzwords.

Last edited:

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

The term "lag" traditionally refers to a touch interface's inability to precisely track your finger movements. It is objectively measured as the largest delta between the distance your finger travels on screen and the distance traveled by the UI beneath it (at any given moment). Stutter is just that delta becoming larger and smaller over a short time frame, so that too is correctly referred to as "lag".

Being honest I never knew where the idea of 'lag' came from so thanks for clarifying that. You just took away most people's favourite complaint. :p

That's of course if they understand what you wrote.... :devil:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Being honest I never knew where the idea of 'lag' came from so thanks for clarifying that. You just took away most people's favourite complaint. :p
That's of course if they understand what you wrote.... :devil:
I know not everyone will get that, but my posts are really only directed towards the more intelligent/educated readers anyway. That's why we're both here, right? 😉

And yeah, I think that obsoletes the whole "lag" issue on most devices. Not all, but most

c0wb0ycliche

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Re: the aggression towards those who switched but still post here.

I can only speak for myself but I imagine this is the case for others as well - even though I've switched - in my case extensively to Google devices and services - doesn't mean a) I don't still use Windows 10/Xbox One etc., and b) that I don't still passionately care about Microsoft's devices and services.

I want nothing more than for Windows to be successful in the market, especially in mobile, and would switch back in a heartbeat if it somehow got to app, feature, service and device parity with Android and iPhone - even if I don't think that is going to happen.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is there really an app gap on WP?

Re: the aggression towards those who switched but still post here.

I can only speak for myself but I imagine this is the case for others as well - even though I've switched - in my case extensively to Google devices and services - doesn't mean a) I don't still use Windows 10/Xbox One etc., and b) that I don't still passionately care about Microsoft's devices and services.

I want nothing more than for Windows to be successful in the market, especially in mobile, and would switch back in a heartbeat if it somehow got to app, feature, service and device parity with Android and iPhone - even if I don't think that is going to happen.

There's no aggression towards anyone. Matter of fact there's no reference to anyone who switched but remained here.

There are two points of view though. Some of us who understood when we left Android and Apple for Windows mobile that it was going to be a tough go. But one that we were willing to take on. Not like those who seem to think this was going to happen overnight. Well it hasn't and it's not. You will be using beta versions and awkward upgrades until they get it right, despite all the moaning you can do.

What's nauseating is the constant complaints about windows mobile whether you still use the device or not.

Let's face it if you are using another device but still here complaining then you must not be satisfied with your Apple or Android device? I would think if that's the devices you are using now but longing for windows to succeed then you should be in the Android and Apple forum expressing your displeasure.

Do they not tolerate your complaints in the Apple or Android forums?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans