The Windows Phone App Gap Thread

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I have, months ago. They have not responded. You can't seriously think that makes a difference though? I do it because I need to let them know that WP users are out there, but I'm not stupid enough to think that my email makes a difference in whether they create an app or not. Only market share and/or Microsoft can do that.

Are people missing the point here? This isn't about this one app. It's about the situation overall. This is just one tiny example. I personally could list dozens more, as I'm sure could others.

Pff I mean try phoning them, or send a letter or find the person that lead the development of the app of twitter

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I fully understand. But jut for your info, I work on a big telecom vendor I can assure you that WiFi calling (VoWiFi) is indeed there on WP and it is just matter of Operator enabling it. The WM OS itself supports it.

So in terms of say, the iPhone, is it just tmobile has enabled it?

Ben Triplett1

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
The app gap doesn't bother me one bit. I support companies that support Windows Mobile, and I leave companies that don't. I just got the new 950 with AT&T and it's fantastic. I use Wells Fargo for banking, I threw my DropCam in the trash and picked up a Homeboy security camera system. I'm fully committed to Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, and I go out of my way to support companies that provide apps for these platforms. Don't have an app for Windows 10 Mobile? I just move on.

justreason

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
I want to say this thread is the most interesting thread I've read in awhile...

I've owned the 900 and the 1520(still do and will use as a backup).. But the app gap hit me as well.. I was at ATT after trading in my nexus 6 on TMo for the 950 and the AT&T staff helping me get the phone tried to get me to buy an iPhone 6s+.. I told him the OS is better than IOS and Android.. I then showed him images from my 1520 and he was like but Microsoft is missing out on apps... I then went to check bank of America so I could buy some food and BoA sent the notification that it didn't work.. I was upset... Searched for Chase and forgot it was long gone..

Luckily for my work it requires I carry my iPad at all times in which all apps I'm missing out on are available..

This thread has me thinking about another Nexus or 6s+...

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The app gap doesn't bother me one bit. I support companies that support Windows Mobile, and I leave companies that don't. I just got the new 950 with AT&T and it's fantastic. I use Wells Fargo for banking, I threw my DropCam in the trash and picked up a Homeboy security camera system. I'm fully committed to Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile, and I go out of my way to support companies that provide apps for these platforms. Don't have an app for Windows 10 Mobile? I just move on.

This has been my philosophy too, but after a while it really starts to become hard to justify to myself why I'm paying so much for something that constantly makes me have to look for workarounds or feel like I'm not getting my money's worth. I'm not there yet, but I'm pretty close.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
This has been my philosophy too, but after a while it really starts to become hard to justify to myself why I'm paying so much for something that constantly makes me have to look for workarounds or feel like I'm not getting my money's worth. I'm not there yet, but I'm pretty close.

This.

My job shouldn't be to make my choice of operating system useable through a lot of work. My phone is supposed to make my life easier. Going through all that trouble is not worth it.

Seriously, someone thinks emailing developers will change the app gap? I'm just happy when I get a response that windows is not in their future plans. Most of the time they just push delete. Of we ask spammed them, they'd probably just setup an filter. They are software developers.

metalb00

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
With a heavy heart I've just made the switch to Android. I bought a 6P last night, my first non-Windows phone. I was conflicted about leaving because I want W10M to grow, not shrink in share. I'm just one person, but if others have the same idea...what will become of W10M? I've had my HTC 8x (still running 8.0! Thanks, T-Mobile!) for nearly three years and enjoyed WP a lot. I wouldn't really say it was (just) the app gap that got me, but the fact that I just couldn't justify paying for a 950XL (that may or may not work fluently on T-Mobile) and an OS that just seems underdone right now. I will definitely be watching to see what happens in the future and will probably return if it gets better.

the 950xl works on tmobile with no issues, took the sim from my nexus 6 and switched right over to 950xl booted the phone, synced my music and i was off. i do miss some apps like nzb leech, fallout shelter, credit union app and motorcycle tuning apps. but i dont use those much to begin with

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing. I have come to terms with the app gap on my Lumia 640 because I like the phone so much, but it's the little things that may not bother the hardliners but begin to grate after a while. A good example was when my wife wanted to print a photo at an automated photo kiosk in Walmart. Whereas in the past you could simply use bluetooth or attach the phone like a storage device, now it won't even let you get anywhere unless you download an app. You can guess which two apps it give you the choice of!

Like it or not, the world is slowly being clamped down to iOS or Android. Will universal apps change that situation? Perhaps but I really doubt it.

RhinoFreak

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
This.

My job shouldn't be to make my choice of operating system useable through a lot of work. My phone is supposed to make my life easier. Going through all that trouble is not worth it.

Seriously, someone thinks emailing developers will change the app gap? I'm just happy when I get a response that windows is not in their future plans. Most of the time they just push delete. Of we ask spammed them, they'd probably just setup an filter. They are software developers.

Yes email is a thing because it's the least us users can do other than buying all Microsoft products with our money.
A gesture matters, if I was a developer I'd definitely look into it if I'm getting like 10-15 emails a day regarding a windows version. Not every developer is looking for profit as a main reason to make apps.
Instead of thinking "it won't do anything" we should think "it'd do something". Even if 1 in every 10 developers listen, it's a win and a change.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
What exactly is preventing you from using WiFi calling on Win10 mobile? Wasn't that even available on WP8.1? The settings are there.(Assuming the phone model itself supports it)

I have wifi calling on my Lumia 925 with WP8.1, but on the 950XL and my 930 with WM10 I have not been able find wifi calling to enable it. If you or anyone else knows where to access it and enable it please let me know.

RhinoFreak

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
Also not all developers look for market shares and stuff before. Otherwise we wouldn't see all these free great apps in windows store.

If I was a developer and I got even 5 mails a day asking for a windows version I'd definitely consider.
Especially since Windows 10 mobile is right around and many new devices are launching on it. It's a great time to develop for windows 10 mobile.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

asikis

May 29, 2013
Visit site
The app gap problem seems to be getting better slowly. But what will make me leave WP behind is if Microsoft puts no effort into making their own apps just as great or better on W10M than what we find of theirs on iOS/Android. With W10M coming to fruition over the past year, it was understandable why Microsoft's WP apps were sub-standard. But if they don't hit home run with their apps within a few months after W10M's release then it's the end. If they don't care then fans will not care, EOM's will not care, carriers will continue to not care, and developers certainly will not care. Game over.
This is exactly the most frustrating part with MSFT. Let me write about a very bad experience i just had today....I have a Lumia 830 with latest W10M build installed.
My sister has a Lumia 635 with 8.1. She tried open an .xlsx file in her mobile but excel replied with error that file has protected work book. In her work PC she can open with out giving any password or anything similar. Then she calls me and reports me the issue. I ask her to send it to my mail to try open it from my 830. Unfortunately i also got the same error...
Then I try to open from my work laptop and it opens directly, no issues. Then I try to open it from my HP stream 7, which i have office professional, and it also opens without any issues.

Then I forward the excel file to my wife's mail that she has an iPhone 5S and I have the MSFT excel installed there. I try to open same excel file and it...............OPENS directly without any issues!!!!!!

Now if this is not a terrible app gap then tell what it is!! This is totally bad way of business MSFT and office mobile team. They should just quit their jobs already today.
I am user of WP from 2012 and have also worked on NOKIA mobile phones part for a year. I like WP and their unique features, like glance screen. I was about to buy a 950 during December. But after today incident I already have very strong second thoughts for staying on WP. It is obvious that MSFT does not want their product to succeed, end of story.

And this is not the first time that MSFT apps work better to iOS that on WP (i don't know about Android but I have read same story there also.

MSFT needs to do something really fast otherwise the story is lost....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb