The Windows Phone App Gap Thread

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Irony in people abandoning the platform but wanting and hoping the apps come. But we need the users....lmfao. Logic. :)

I could never abandon the os entirely lol

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Made the switch yesterday, I'm now an Android user. I wont rule out returning to WP at some point in future, but it's going to take something pretty special.

dicko81

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So I just got my first android phone. Why is the windows central app on android ten times better the windows phone one?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

so I get windows news & these mundane ios/android/I'm leaving/I've left forums on the wp app..what more could I want..

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I read through this whole thread late last week as I was on the fence as to whether I wanted to continue with the Lumia series or go with a Samsung S6.

I was so close to going with the Samsung but then looked at this way - I've been on Windows mobile for the last three years and haven't really had a significant problem with the app gap. I have a Samsung tablet at home and a iPod for music so why not continue with the conveniences I've learned to appreciate with the Windows system? I love how these phones are so tightly integrated with my PC at home and how well the OneDrive seamlessly works in the background.

Sure there are instances where I'd like to have access to some more apps but it's not really impacting my daily routine so no big deal for me. Also my local AT&T store had a special going where I could add a Surface 3 Tablet for under $200 if I purchased the 950. So I took the plunge and figured if it doesn't get better then I'll consider moving when the next upgrade round comes up.

Although I had an email setup issue with my phone that I just resolved yesterday, I'm happy with my choice. The new phone is a joy to use and I don't feel like I'm missing anything yet. It's different yet familiar enough where I'm able to fall back into my routine. For me the app gap does exist but it's not like it changed with Windows 10 significantly, it's the same as it was for Windows 8.1 so if it improves then great - if not then I knew what I was getting into so no big deal.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Irony in people abandoning the platform but wanting and hoping the apps come. But we need the users....lmfao. Logic. :)

I could never abandon the os entirely lol

I've had to. Too many of what our family does needs those apps...case and point...Amazon Echo...there is no Alexa app for WIndows phone and if you tried a mobile site for it, it takes you to a download page for iOS or Google Play. One of many examples...

I want to be all in with Microsoft just to have better, most complete interaction between my Windows 10 PC, Surface Pro 4, XBOX and Phone. But sadly, I do like the convenience of the apps on my Android Phone and it works fairly well with my Windows Universe. I am just really liking the freedom of having more options since with Microsoft, they either take away something we like or say "wait and see!". :(

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
All you Android Noobs beware! I have been a Android user from the beginning expect a major drop in Quality, The Windows phone geeks on these forums have no idea of the level of bugs and technical issues that comes with Android. The O/S reminds me of Windows 95 and plug n play... great in theory but a nightmare in practice(it has taken Microsoft 20 years to iron out that concept).So no matter what phone you will buy it will come with an inherent bug for example my S5 went thru 3 sim card readers 2 mainboards and one screen all down to the o/s locking and heating the battery up that hot the circuitry fails, so when I upgraded to windows phone last week I have virtually a brand new S5 which now has a new bug where the security pin numbers turn into white squares. You can instantly right off 70% of android apps as complete rubbish and you only dare trust the recognized apps due to androids non security. Also it has been discovered data packets on every google platform/device are intercepted by a mysterious google exchange. What happens there nobody knows, google have not yet commented... I have removed all traces of google from my devices...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had to. Too many of what our family does needs those apps...case and point...Amazon Echo...there is no Alexa app for WIndows phone and if you tried a mobile site for it, it takes you to a download page for iOS or Google Play. One of many examples...

I want to be all in with Microsoft just to have better, most complete interaction between my Windows 10 PC, Surface Pro 4, XBOX and Phone. But sadly, I do like the convenience of the apps on my Android Phone and it works fairly well with my Windows Universe. I am just really liking the freedom of having more options since with Microsoft, they either take away something we like or say "wait and see!". :(

It makes zero sense to me to leave an Os you enjoy and love simply for apps on an OS most of you either don't like or settling for. Id get an ipod touch before abandoning the platform entirely for the few times I need any particular app.
Or a cheap android phone. Because I know that in order for Microsoft to get any success, I should support them. Then again these are the same people who if and when Microsoft picks up steam will come back bashing android and acting as if they had been here every step of the way lmao.

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
there is no Alexa app for WIndows phone and if you tried a mobile site for it, it takes you to a download page for iOS or Google Play. One of many examples...:(

This Alexa app doesn't seem like it needs constant attention, it is a convenience app that isn't a must need on a phone especially if it is spying on you spying on other people ;)

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
This Alexa app doesn't seem like it needs constant attention, it is a convenience app that isn't a must need on a phone especially if it is spying on you spying on other people ;)

We use the heck out of the Grocery List we speak to Alexa and which shows up in the Alexa app...if it would sync with OneDrive, that would be a plus for Windows Phone users...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
It makes zero sense to me to leave an Os you enjoy and love simply for apps on an OS most of you either don't like or settling for. Id get an ipod touch before abandoning the platform entirely for the few times I need any particular app.
Or a cheap android phone. Because I know that in order for Microsoft to get any success, I should support them. Then again these are the same people who if and when Microsoft picks up steam will come back bashing android and acting as if they had been here every step of the way lmao.

Trying to de-gadget...got too many and don't want multiple gadgets...I still fire up my Lumia ICON to load the latest builds and check out any new apps that come but do not want to carry multiple devices. Since getting a Note 5, I've sold my Dell Venue 8 Pro Windows Tablet and I don't pick up my Surface Pro 4 much as a tablet but still use it as my main PC.

Last edited:

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
We use the heck out of the Grocery List we speak to Alexa and which shows up in the Alexa app...if it would sync with OneDrive, that would be a plus for Windows Phone users...

It certainly looks like an app that Microsoft should be targeting to get on the universal program...

mazzmond

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I picked up a Nexus 5X yesterday and just transferred over to Android myself. Been with Windows since Windows phone 7 (HTC Trophy). I still have a few windows phone and will keep seeing how things develop but it just got to me as well. I feel like i just entered the future...I can actually get and use apps! Most are specific to me (garmin, strava, wahoo, fitness apps) which were never available on windows phone and just make life easier. Trust me I much much much prefer the Windows mobile OS but there comes a point (when Chase bank abandoned windows phone) that it's easier to just switch phones rather than change my whole life for things that work in the windows ecosystem.

I haven't used an android device since version 2.x and it is much better. Facebook actually is useful and works! I'm actually stunned how easy things are to be honest. I fought the fight for many many years but it just seems like every year it got worse and not better with windows mobile. I'm hoping they change things but I'm betting only further slide of market share in the U.S. unfortunately.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
One app for convenience isn't a "must need". Two apps, not that either. But when it's three, four, five, six, ten, fifteen apps all of a sudden that do neat and convenient little things... it adds up.

"Many little streams make a mighty river" as the saying goes.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
They've shelved the Android one and AFAIK the iOS one is still in the early days of usability yet.

Yes, that's true! I think they might be wise in focussing just on iOS, because if an apps worth having then it'll be on iOS. The extra coverage you get by including Android is probably not worth it. I hope they get the iOS solution working OK. (Sadly, I still don't believe it will deliver what Microsoft is so desperately hoping for.)

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's true! I think they might be wise in focussing just on iOS, because if an apps worth having then it'll be on iOS. The extra coverage you get by including Android is probably not worth it. I hope they get the iOS solution working OK. (Sadly, I still don't believe it will deliver what Microsoft is so desperately hoping for.)

I think the benefit to the android plan was that the apps would be able to load without any effort from the developers. The problem with the IOS plan in my understanding is you will still need the developers to recompile their apps. Though if I'm wrong I'm sure I can count on someone to tell me.

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
One app for convenience isn't a "must need". Two apps, not that either. But when it's three, four, five, six, ten, fifteen apps all of a sudden that do neat and convenient little things... it adds up.

"Many little streams make a mighty river" as the saying goes.

For example?

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I think the benefit to the android plan was that the apps would be able to load without any effort from the developers. The problem with the IOS plan in my understanding is you will still need the developers to recompile their apps. Though if I'm wrong I'm sure I can count on someone to tell me.

Why would they bother with this baloney? they have a 100 million win 10 users, a 100 million enterprise customers that will port in 2016 and they have 50 million x box users? You guys are underestimating the power of the universal app... Apple have shot themselves in the foot because at the end of the day ios is a operating system that is made for toys and will never be anything more. This has lead to many high end software companies abandoning ship as there is no point in developing their software on the platform. Microsoft have a product which will eventually lead to a full version of win 10 on their mobile devices... Now that is where it is at

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte