The Windows Phone App Gap Thread

Jeff Merritt1

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes. Some people think it feels good the apps "are there" on iOS or Android. When it comes down to it, there's only about 10 apps that I constantly use, and the rest is for entertainment . My ten apps: Dropbox, Evernote, Note, Outlook, Music Player, Pocket Casts, Rhapsody, Netflix, LastPass, Facebook and Twitter. Let me check one last time: yep, all in WP. The rest is just gravy. And to make an even stronger point: if a company does not care enough about a segment of the users, that it would warrant an app for Windows Phone, it means Hasta La Vista Baby. I'm not sticking to a company that doesn't go the extra mile for my business. That means, Snapchat, take a hike.

I can't really switch banks on a whim, I will admit losing Chase stung...however...the mobile site does nearly exactly the same stuff. Aside from taking a picture of a check for deposit...which I used, never. So I'm okay there. As I said earlier I am quite content with my 950, I had two weeks to return it, this is week three...guess I'm keeping it. Phones are a ridiculous status symbol to begin with, (people were vexing over the non-high-end look the 950's have...I think they look great personally) and I guess apps fall into that realm of status...as weird as that seems. So that instantly makes Win10 Mobile phones...low rent? I honestly have never used Snapchat (I'm 41) and I never will. I could care less. They won't develop an app for Win10 Mobile because he's mad at MS? LMAO. I'd rather be in the minority with a good quality base, than a majority with no major direction or understanding.

Magikal

May 15, 2015
Visit site
It's not a real "app gap" situation here. The classic app gap situation is Symbian right now for example. Our "app gap" is slightly different - you have the basic apps available on other platforms (Viber, Messenger, Whatsapp, browsers & etcs), but you don't get the same basic functionality available in their android/ios counterparts.
For example, Messenger. WP version is absolute crap. No screen rotation, buggy, sluggish, loading all the time, out of sync. Every new version changes nothing.
Facebook - the same ...., different name. You get a week old *updates* (or maybe I should call them outdates) on your news feed and that never gets fixed.

What about the ecosystem itself? Well there's been huge improvement compared to Windows 8, but overall we have had to wait for months to get a simple update. Some people've been waiting for a year to get the Denim update.
And something very specific for the country I live in - Bulgaria. We have 2 different keyboard sets, the official one BDS (Bulgarian standart, developed back in the 50s with the typewriter machines & etc) and Phonetic (developed by some internet junkies when the IT era started). Back in Windows Phone 7, 7.5 and 7.8 we didn't even had a bulgarian keyboard, no matter how many requests have been made. Starting with Windows 8 they have added the PHONETIC one, which stays to that day, but didn't add the official BDS one. There's been thousands (literally) requests for adding the official BDS layout, both MS Bulgaria and Lumia Bulgaria, and they just don't respond. It's still not available on Windows 10 586.29.
And it's just a keyboard layout for Christ' sake! 20 minutes of work for an experienced developer. These things are about to drive me out of Windows mobile.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
And it's just a keyboard layout for Christ' sake! 20 minutes of work for an experienced developer. These things are about to drive me out of Windows mobile.
Another example of how it isn't the mainstream apps that are the big problem, but the lack of specialized niche apps that directly impact you.

Daniel Frankovitch

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I have, months ago. They have not responded. You can't seriously think that makes a difference though? I do it because I need to let them know that WP users are out there, but I'm not stupid enough to think that my email makes a difference in whether they create an app or not. Only market share and/or Microsoft can do that.

Are people missing the point here? This isn't about this one app. It's about the situation overall. This is just one tiny example. I personally could list dozens more, as I'm sure could others.

I love how people assume you haven't done anything at all before coming to the point where leaving WP makes more sense than staying.
WP is in serious trouble, but so many of the fanboys see shrinking market share and the increasing lack or apps, or dev dropping the WP version of some app as a benefit of the WP platform.

Between the ****** water carriers and MS mismanagement, I fear WP is being allowed to die. It doesn't matter how good it is.

Daniel Frankovitch

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I could deal with the lack of apps, (many I had before the developers dropped them for WP) if we had a decent flagship on all carriers.
I could keep using my 2013 WP device if the apps I needed were still on the platform.

But to have such a significant lack of apps, combined with a 'flagship' device effectively limited to a single carrier (more precisely the tech is the limiter here, but by MS choose to limit it), I cannot see how people that can with away from WP don't.

Loving the platform doesn't mean sticking with it regardless of the health of the platform. The lack of mainstream apps is not a benefit of the WP platform. Releasing a beta device with a beta OS is not how you demonstrate to the market that you are serious about WP and its future.

I'm starting to believe that MS couldn't sell water to people dying of thirst.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes. Some people think it feels good the apps "are there" on iOS or Android. When it comes down to it, there's only about 10 apps that I constantly use, and the rest is for entertainment . My ten apps: Dropbox, Evernote, Note, Outlook, Music Player, Pocket Casts, Rhapsody, Netflix, LastPass, Facebook and Twitter. Let me check one last time: yep, all in WP. The rest is just gravy. And to make an even stronger point: if a company does not care enough about a segment of the users, that it would warrant an app for Windows Phone, it means Hasta La Vista Baby. I'm not sticking to a company that doesn't go the extra mile for my business. That means, Snapchat, take a hike.

To me, it's not that it "feels good" that the apps are there on Android, it's that at this point it's getting harder and harder to justify buying a new W10M phone that from the outset is crippled compared to competitors. I did it with Lumia 900, but hoped things would get better app wise. I did it with the Lumia Icon, and hoped that the situation would get better. I just can't make myself do the same with the 950, until I SEE that the situation is better. Like you, I got by. I chose companies that had WP apps. I emailed every developer and every company that didn't. I used apps or mobile websites with fewer features. But I'm tired of always saying "no, I can't do that, I have a Windows Phone", in exchange for the rarer and rarer times when I can say something that my phone can do that others can't (pretty much never now).

I've done my part long enough. Now I'll let Microsoft do their part and I'll happily return full time when they get W10M together. I think they will eventually.

Daniel Frankovitch

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
And as an example of MS ruining the image of WP due to the complete lack of real effort my MS to bring more quality dev into WP.

My 12 year old carries a Lumia 435 and an unactivated iPhone4s. The only reason she carries the two is because she sets up the 435 as a wifi hotspot so she can use the same apps as all of her friends on her circa 2013 iPhone via wifi.

Dismiss it all you want, but when a new WP device that has the more capable hardware is being demoted to hotspot in favor of a nearly 3 year old iPhone, because the iPhone has app support; MS is failing.

Just because people on a WP forum do not care about apps, doesn't mean they matter in the big picture. 3% of any market is basically nonexistent for hardware and software companies.

To pretend otherwise is delusional.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
And as an example of MS ruining the image of WP due to the complete lack of real effort my MS to bring more quality dev into WP.

My 12 year old carries a Lumia 435 and an unactivated iPhone4s. The only reason she carries the two is because she sets up the 435 as a wifi hotspot so she can use the same apps as all of her friends on her circa 2013 iPhone via wifi.

Dismiss it all you want, but when a new WP device that has the more capable hardware is being demoted to hotspot in favor of a nearly 3 year old iPhone, because the iPhone has app support; MS is failing.

Just because people on a WP forum do not care about apps, doesn't mean they matter in the big picture. 3% of any market is basically nonexistent for hardware and software companies.

why not activate the 4s?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Cortana Hands Free Bluetooth Alternative on Android?

For all those who have switched from Windows Phone to Android, is there anyone that can speak to an App that will duplicate how Cortana works hands-free and will automatically come in over my car speakers via Bluetooth to announce I have a text and who it's from, and if I want to read or ignore it? Including the functionality to reply and dictate back everything I said for approval before sending?

The hands-free Bluetooth integration of Cortana is second to none-from what I've experienced & heard (so far) and seeing as I
use my phone as a phone first and foremost, this is functionality I don't really see myself giving up over a few apps.

I've searched hi & low but haven't found an Android solution that comes close yet. I've heard the Moto Assist / Moto Voice apps built into Moto phones can come close... is that true? But I've also heard they are getting rid of those apps with Android Marshmallow.

If I could get this functionality on Android, I can see possibly switching over to gain access to the other apps I'd like to have in access to in Android. I'm currently using a Samsung ATIV SE as my daily driver (which I can update to WM10 via Insider thanks to some forum members hard work) and a Note 4 as a backup phablet device when I need to access the few apps not on WM yet.

I'd prefer only having one device, but really hate to give up that hands-free Bluetooth phone functionality. Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Last edited:

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Re: Cortana Hands Free Bluetooth Alternative on Android?

So @PuckCowboy have you tried sayyyyyyyyyy the "Cortana" app for Android??????

Its official now and might do what you want. This functionality is the absolute best thing about Windows Phone and when I have showed it to my iPhone friends they are very jealous.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

I've searched hi & low but haven't found an Android solution that comes close yet. I've heard the Moto Assist / Moto Voice apps built into Moto phones can come close... is that true? But I've also heard they are getting rid of those apps with Android Marshmallow.

Slightly off topic but: Moto Assist is still in Marshmallow, though some of the functionality has been removed since it's now in the OS. There's still both text-to-speech and speech-to-text for Driving Mode. Works pretty much like in Cortana, although Cortana provides a more "natural" interaction and the Moto voice is more robotic.

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

So @PuckCowboy have you tried sayyyyyyyyyy the "Cortana" app for Android??????

Its official now and might do what you want. This functionality is the absolute best thing about Windows Phone and when I have showed it to my iPhone friends they are very jealous.

Unfortunately, the Cortana Android app does not include this functionality, it is still fairly limited in that respect. I wasn't impressed with Cortana on Android since it's not integrated into the OS.

I do agree that it's the best thing about Windows phone though. Hope all of that functionality is still there in WM10 (which I'll be testing on my phone soon.)

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

Slightly off topic but: Moto Assist is still in Marshmallow, though some of the functionality has been removed since it's now in the OS. There's still both text-to-speech and speech-to-text for Driving Mode. Works pretty much like in Cortana, although Cortana provides a more "natural" interaction and the Moto voice is more robotic.

Not that far off topic at all, and I appreciate the info on it still being a part of Marshmallow. The Moto X Pure (or Droid Turbo 2) are two phones I've had my eye on for that reason alone. Do you own an Android Moto MikeSo? If so, I'd love to get your impressions of it and the OS (whichever is the most current version you are running.)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Not that far off topic at all, and I appreciate the info on it still being a part of Marshmallow. The Moto X Pure (or Droid Turbo 2) are two phones I've had my eye on for that reason alone. Do you own an Android Moto MikeSo? If so, I'd love to get your impressions of it and the OS (whichever is the most current version you are running.)
I have a Moto X Pure Edition. Do you have any other questions about it?

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site

I have a Moto X Pure Edition. Do you have any other questions about it?

Hey Laura, I do!

1) What OS are you running on it and what network are you on?
2) What Windows Phone did you come from & was it a tough transition?
3) Do you use Moto Assist / Voice and how would you compare them to Cortana (assuming you used it on WP)
4) Overall, how do you like the phone? Camera? Screen?
5) Does it have Wireless Charging?

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Feel free to PM me so as not to clutter up this thread with off-topic discussion.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Hey Laura, I do!

1) What OS are you running on it and what network are you on?
6.0 Marshmallow on AT&T
2) What Windows Phone did you come from & was it a tough transition?
Lumia 920. No, it was not difficult, but I've also used Symbian and legacy BBOS in the past.
3) Do you use Moto Assist / Voice and how would you compare them to Cortana (assuming you used it on WP)
No, I've never used either.
4) Overall, how do you like the phone? Camera? Screen?
I like it a lot. The camera is much better than that of the Lumia 920. I like the screen, since it is LCD, which is easier to see outdoors in bright sunlight and does not get burn in.
5) Does it have Wireless Charging?
No. However, it has Turbo charging, which is very fast.

Any and all info is truly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

P.S. Feel free to PM me so as not to clutter up this thread with off-topic discussion.
You're welcome. I hope this helps. Please send me a PM if you have any other questions.

Jean Claude Lopez

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
To me, it's not that it "feels good" that the apps are there on Android, it's that at this point it's getting harder and harder to justify buying a new W10M phone that from the outset is crippled compared to competitors. I did it with Lumia 900, but hoped things would get better app wise. I did it with the Lumia Icon, and hoped that the situation would get better. I just can't make myself do the same with the 950, until I SEE that the situation is better. Like you, I got by. I chose companies that had WP apps. I emailed every developer and every company that didn't. I used apps or mobile websites with fewer features. But I'm tired of always saying "no, I can't do that, I have a Windows Phone", in exchange for the rarer and rarer times when I can say something that my phone can do that others can't (pretty much never now).

I've done my part long enough. Now I'll let Microsoft do their part and I'll happily return full time when they get W10M together. I think they will eventually.

Yeah. I get your point. You want to be in the land of plentiful, so to speak. But being a user that has had both iPhone and Android for years, I really see no drop in usability by switching to Windows Ph. Like I said, the apps that are really useful to me are everywhere, and it feels good to side with the underdog and stick it to Apple.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna be honest...i already owned Android, and i don't really miss anything on W10M!

I prefer to give MS the benefit of trust! I really love W10M, it's simple, fluid, a true joy to use and like i said, i have no problem with apps!

Some Android apps might be more feature rich but that doesn't mean they're perfect!

Also, once project Islandwood is ready, the app situation should improve, since we'll have iOS apps natively running on our OS!

mj0

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Also, once project Islandwood is ready, the app situation should improve, since we'll have iOS apps natively running on our OS!

Indeed. Once Windows Phone 7.5 is ready everything will get better. But wait, once Windows Phone 8 is out everything will get much better. But wait, once Windows Phone 8.1 is ready it'll be so good you won't know what hit you. But wait, once Windows 10 Mobile is out we'll be in app paradise. Trick question: do you notice a pattern here?

Microsoft has been playing the waiting game for many years now. They went from project driven software development to agile software development to "just around the corner" software development. Neither project Islandwood nor project Astoria, which apparantly has already been scrapped, will change anything. The only situation in which the app situation would ever improve is one where Windows Phone gains significant market share and developers will jump on board to profit from the platform.

But wait, surely that must be just around the corner.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Not sure a budget 435 is better than an iPhone 4s. Why doesn't she just use the 4s and drop the 435?

On the flip, my brother is13 and he and his lumia is seen as cool and most of his friends use it.

Those who use non lumia phones also use apps that make it easy for everyone cross platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster