1520 or 640XL to replace a 1020?

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So, after 2 years, I'm beginning to wonder if my battery in my 1020 is starting its way out. I'm on the latest preview of W10, did shut down a lot of stuff thanks to a post on Windows Central, but am still wondering if I maybe ought replace it. That said, budget is a bit tight! I do work a fair bit on my Lumia (email, Office, social media via Pages Manager for Facebook, etc), so I'm wondering if trying to track down a 1520 or getting a 640XL is an option? Not really gaming on my phone, so that's not a concern.

My brother is suggesting replacing the battery on the 1020, and I've watched a video on that, but I'm a little leery of doing so...

Note: our family plan is such that its cheaper to pay for a new phone than to get a new contract. Also, I'd like to see W10 mature a bit more, plus am willing to see if there's a Lumia 1050 or something before spending $600 on a new phone. Hell, as much as I've loved my Surface, waiting for a Surface Phone (as rumored) ain't bad. Worst case? I get a 950 new, for less, than what its currently available for.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Charge cycles on batteries wear them down. So does time, heat, etc.

While the 1520 might be better on paper, the 640 XL is nice for the price and the battery is just going to start out fresher.

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I know the SOC in the 1020 is pretty old, and is different than the 640XL's, so I don't think I can really compare them in an apples to apples way. Should performance be comparable?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I would say try to buy a 1520 open box if you can OR buy a used 1520 and replace the battery and maybe even the shell too.

It'll be a he more satisfying device in the end.

Better Camera, Screen, and overall better due to extra features possible because of the better processor.

This is especially an easy choice because these two devices are interested the same price range.

Although if the extras don't matter and you want a more handleable phone then go for the 640 XL

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Where would you suggest getting it from? AT&T doesn't carry it anymore. I looked at Amazon, but their prices vary wildly, including $799!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb