Thinking of going from 950XL to a Nexus 6p

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been a die hard Nokia fan for all my life and would never consider to switch to any other thing. But as we all know Nokia for now is long gone and MS has taken over. I love the OS but there really is an app gap and there is no denying it. Is it really worth the price tag to keep and 950 XL and just stay on this OS and always wait and say to yourself "coming soon" lol. If it wasn't for the good camera that the 950/XL have I'd probably consider jumping to a Nexus 6p. Any thoughts?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been a die hard Nokia fan for all my life and would never consider to switch to any other thing. But as we all know Nokia for now is long gone and MS has taken over. I love the OS but there really is an app gap and there is no denying it. Is it really worth the price tag to keep and 950 XL and just stay on this OS and always wait and say to yourself "coming soon" lol. If it wasn't for the good camera that the 950/XL have I'd probably consider jumping to a Nexus 6p. Any thoughts?
No microSD, no optical image stabilization, and no dual SIM option. Otherwise a great phone for a good price.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

I had a Nexus 6P before the 950 XL. After using the 950 XL for a week now, I am starting to regret the move to the Lumia... Sure, it has dual sim, micro sd card, great camera, awesome OS, etc. But, the 6P also has a fantastic camera (lack of OIS is really only a problem with video on the 6P, then again Sony did a great job of implementing EIS on the Z5, so Google may yet make it better.), Marshmallow is super smooth and solid, and the battery life is great (Way better than the Lumia in my experience). All of the Microsoft services are available on Android as well. It is cheaper at @ $499. While Iris scanning is cool, I really miss the lightning fast fingerprint reader on the 6P. The Iris scanner usually works well for me except for when I wake up bleary eyed... Wireless charging is nice, but I don't mind plugging in the cable. I like the looks of the 6P better too. With the Lumia I don't have visual voicemail, wifi calling, and VoLTE (T-Mobile). My Lumia's signal reception also seems to be a bit worse than my 6P. The Lumia gets hotter than the 6P as well. Continuum I am not sure about, haven't tried it. I have a custom built desktop anyways, so I don't really see myself getting much use out of it.

I guess now that the excitement has worn off, I feel a bit underwhelmed by the 950 XL, especially considering the cost. I got the Complete warranty as well, and now I find out they doubled the deductible and limit us to just one replacement... I paid around $800 for the Lumia with tax. My 6P cost me about $610... I don't feel like the Lumia is worth the extra ~$200...

I've never had too much of an issue with the app gap fortunately. But, even without that I am not so sure if I should keep the Lumia. I really like Windows 10, but man, I hate this feeling of regret...

DrPuppy

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
No removable battery, no SD card, not as good of camera, no wireless charging, and the thing runs Android. I mean, let's not kid ourselves here, you're writing all of this in a Windows forum.
I personally think the Nexus 6P is kind of hyped up, and think the LG V10 is the best Android phone. A bit utilitarian in design, but that's a very serious phone.
Like I said in another post, this phone was probably very much designed for the die-hard Windows Phone fans. Unless you're that intrigued by the platform, I don't think I would keep it.

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
No removable battery, no SD card, not as good of camera, no wireless charging, and the thing runs Android. I mean, let's not kid ourselves here, you're writing all of this in a Windows forum.
I personally think the Nexus 6P is kind of hyped up, and think the LG V10 is the best Android phone. A bit utilitarian in design, but that's a very serious phone.
Like I said in another post, this phone was probably very much designed for the die-hard Windows Phone fans. Unless you're that intrigued by the platform, I don't think I would keep it.

Absolutely don't get me wrong here I'm a huge fan but at the same time one has to think " I'm paying extra for my ""idel"" to say coming soon lol"

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, I just returned it. I just couldn't justify the experience for the price I paid for the 950 XL. Now I am trying to decide between a Note 5 and a 6P. I know I will love the 6P, but haven't had a Samsung device since the Gingerbread days. I don't know if I can still stomach TW... Sigh... decisions, decisions...

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
No need to be long winded about this one, life's short, follow your heart! The great thing about cellphones are they're just that.... phones. It's not like you are stuck with it like a social security number or anything lol. If you decide to come back, it'll be here.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
No harm in being a dual OS person. The 6P is a great device. But every device has its pros and cons. I am sure you will find some quirks with the 6P that will annoy you compared to the 950XL. There is a good reason to have choices available. Good luck.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
On a side note, I want to get this out in this thread before it turns into member bashing, name calling or just plain old trolling...
So here is a friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)
  • Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you’re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you’re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ‘think before you post’.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members’ problem.
[/INFO]

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, the 950XL is pretty great phone. I love the Windows 10 UI. There is no such thing as a perfect phone. Every phone will have their own strengths and quirks like worldspy99 said. It is just a matter of finding one with strengths/quirks acceptable to you. In my case, the 6P is the closest one to being perfect in my eyes. In the end, it is just a phone. I guess it doesn't feel like an easy choice because of how much they cost :).

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Do. It. *as long as you aren't an app person

I love my 950XL to bits. I've owned Toshiba TG01, HTC HD2, HTC HD7, Lumia 800, Lumia 900, Lumia 920, Lumia 925, Lumia 1320, Lumia 735, Lumia 930. - 950XL is my heartbeat. It is the most powerful, lightest, thinnest Lumia ever. *as long as you don't want tons of apps from N6p

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Lumia 950 is running on a beta OS and apps will come :) I think maybe it would be good to get the Np6 then after a year or more get the Lumia 950 or surface phone.. I am still getting Lumia 950 :D

astondg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
My Lumia's signal reception also seems to be a bit worse than my 6P. The Lumia gets hotter than the 6P as well

These hinds of things always make me wonder. Microsoft specifically called out the antennae placement on the 950 & XL and the work they put into getting it right. It's the same with the liquid cooling and with the camera. They seem genuinely proud of this stuff and are confident that they've got their competitors beaten. But when it gets to reviews and users that's not the case at all. At best things like the camea are subjectively better in some situations, and at worst stuff like the reception is actually worse.

This isn't specific to the 950 or even Microsoft but I have felt it a bit with their recent releases like the Surface range and these phones and I just don't understand her it happens. May let I get too sucked in to marketing, I just need to remember that a lot of this is pure hype.

zimilaci

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
It is funny :)

I was using IOS and Android before (latest edition not the older ones ) and to be honest, I can do the same on my Lumia 950 XL
For me the fingerprint or even the iris scanner is everything but necessary (I don't want to get my fingerprint nor my Iris scan stored somewhere) I cause pin codes my brain is still good for remembering such :) of course it might not be that fast...but I don't really care.

The only thing what I miss from my previous device (HTC m7, m8, m9) is the stereo speakers. Nothing else.

As someone previously stated, its in it's "beta" phase... and who know we might get full android and IOS app support.

:)

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
These hinds of things always make me wonder. Microsoft specifically called out the antennae placement on the 950 & XL and the work they put into getting it right. It's the same with the liquid cooling and with the camera. They seem genuinely proud of this stuff and are confident that they've got their competitors beaten. But when it gets to reviews and users that's not the case at all. At best things like the camea are subjectively better in some situations, and at worst stuff like the reception is actually worse.

This isn't specific to the 950 or even Microsoft but I have felt it a bit with their recent releases like the Surface range and these phones and I just don't understand her it happens. May let I get too sucked in to marketing, I just need to remember that a lot of this is pure hype.

Well, I don't know why Microsoft made a big deal out of the antennas. Pretty much all modern phones have primary and secondary (usually called the diversity antenna which is typically receive only) antennas. This is nothing new. The second gen Moto X sensed the capacitance changes on the antennas to adjust the frequency response to get better signal reception regardless of how you held it. The Nexus 6P still had better reception than the Moto X in my house. I think there are far too many variables to make a sweeping statement like the antennas are the best ever, heatpipe is the best, etc. It might hold true in the test cases of the engineering team, but it is impossible for them to test for all types of environments.

The heatpipe, well, this being a plastic phone, will help remove heat better than just a copper heat shield. The Nexus 6P uses the metal body itself as a heatsink for the CPU, it being in direct contact with the CPU via thermal paste.

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Love to get my hands on both phones! The apps thing I pointless and I bet you can find what you want in the Windows store! Love Android to because if I want a clean screen then I can do it and now I see that can be done with windows. I think you should go for the phone you like best. My thing is which one give me more for my money:)

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
If you're waiting on apps, that's not going to happen. I've been hearing that "apps are coming" for YEARS. I hate it too, as I love the hardware and smoothness of the phone, I just can't deal with the lack of apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire