12-22-2015 04:35 PM
142 12345 ...
tools
    Windows Mobile can be great, but first thing it's gotta be is stable. Apps crashing and the occasional self reboot is ruining the experience for me. It really does feel like the OS is in the late stages of Beta sometimes and with Cortana now on iOS, I may be switching back for a little while to see how it goes. This way I'll be able to get back $700 on the Lumia XL while I wait for some issues to be resolved and by then the phone will either see some discounts (like Band 2) and/or Surface Phone will be around the corner.

I'm huge on MS products, but with a SP3 that's acting up, my Band 1 having a mysterious battery drain last week and the Lumia 950XL having stability/battery issues, it gives me pause. Maybe in a year everything will run smoother and I really hope it will. Going back to an iPhone for a while I will lose my Live Tiles. Cortana, MS Office, and OneDrive will be there so in a sense I won't be missing all that much. Having all these MS apps/services on other platforms is a double edged sword. If even I find little reason to hang on like I used to, what chance is there for the new user? There's no killer app/feature on WM anymore and the FB app is absolute trash.
    libra89 and Ian_Superfly like this.
    12-14-2015 04:51 PM
    Ohhh the FB app... When you mentioned it... It's so limited and undeveloped it hurts tu use it. And this is what facebook gives us after 5 years of Fb app being on wp.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    12-14-2015 05:26 PM
    Ohhh the FB app... When you mentioned it... It's so limited and undeveloped it hurts tu use it. And this is what facebook gives us after 5 years of Fb app being on wp.
    The Facebook app for Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile is made by Microsoft, not Facebook.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-14-2015 05:48 PM
    Sorry my mistake. This makes it only worse... Also I've just read an article about outlook app being better on ios, which is a good example of what I'm afraid will happen to wp. :(
    cbobb123 and Ian_Superfly like this.
    12-14-2015 05:55 PM
    Sorry my mistake. This makes it only worse... Also I've just read an article about outlook app being better on ios, which is a good example of what I'm afraid will happen to wp. :(
    The Outlook app on iOS and Android is a rename of the old Accompli app. Microsoft bought out Accompli, which had been around for several years. So essentially the app isn't new. It wasn't built from scratch.
    Guytronic likes this.
    12-14-2015 06:20 PM
    That article failed to mention that there Are reasons why it's better on Windows phone too. For instance, on iOS it's useless to me because it only supports a limited amount of email account types, like no POP accounts.
    editguy likes this.
    12-14-2015 06:26 PM
    The Outlook app on iOS and Android is a rename of the old Accompli app. Microsoft bought out Accompli, which had been around for several years. So essentially the app isn't new. It wasn't built from scratch.
    Laura you use Android so how would you say the Outlook apps are compared to wp? I am very curious being that I have considered trying out Android.
    12-14-2015 06:27 PM
    Laura you use Android so how would you say the Outlook apps are compared to wp? I am very curious being that I have considered trying out Android.
    The Outlook app for Android is excellent. I have no issues with it. I especially like the priority inbox.
    RobinPaul likes this.
    12-14-2015 06:40 PM
    I think every windows phone user owes it to himself to research the competition and try out one of the others for a week before committing to this OS any further. Sure each of us has spent a lot of time drinking this KoolAid and if users don't stay the OS will die, but I don't see how that is any of our problems. None of us are paid to beta test the hardware and software. Instead we are asked for our time and money. Microsoft isn't running a kick starter. They need to get over themselves.
    What makes you think we are so closed minded?

I have an iPhone and an Android Tablet. I think WM10 has its appeal over IOS, and you cant compare it to Android. Android is definitely the developers platform, the wild wild west, do what you want, steal what you can.
    Apple has never had a phone like the 1520.
    editguy and RumoredNow like this.
    12-14-2015 08:08 PM
    The Facebook app for Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile is made by Microsoft, not Facebook.
    LOL
    good thing i don't use facebook, I would definitely feel abandoned on WM10.

Also to answer the original poster...The task switching screen and the arrow button.
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-14-2015 08:20 PM
    LiveTiles and Glance are the truly unique aspects of WP/W10M. Continuum is unique, but not widely available so I won't include it.

As for those who are saying that Microsoft is giving away all of their uniqueness... Clearly the strategy was not working. You can complain all you want, but we're still only ~3% marketshare. Things need to change and what we're seeing now is the beginning of it. Microsoft lost the smartphone wars, but it has a pretty good shot at the 'smartphone plus' wars.
    What strategy would that be? Continuously dropping the ball on actually supporting WP? Giving more attention to iOS and Android apps? So far nothing has changed other than no longer having nice Nokia hardware and a different bald CEO. It's the same tired "coming soon" promises and lower and lower market %.
    12-14-2015 09:31 PM
    What strategy would that be? Continuously dropping the ball on WP? Giving more attention to iOS and Android apps? So far nothing has changed other than no longer having nice Nokia hardware and a different bald CEO.
    You are missing the point. The strategy under the old bald guy was to take on iPhone and Android. Windows phone aimed to jump in the arena with a unique product and take them on. Windows phone was in my opinion a superior os, with social integration and live tiles but it didn't work. The developers and the consumers never came on board. The new bald guy is accepting that they will not beat iPhone and Android at their own game, it's too late. He is trying to become something different than the other guys. Will it work, nobody knows.
    RumoredNow and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-14-2015 09:37 PM
    Glance Screen,its an foremost unique feature of windows phone.Sadly they stopped innovating it like Nokia did with its Glance background beta app.
    12-14-2015 10:05 PM
    You are missing the point. The strategy under the old bald guy was to take on iPhone and Android. Windows phone aimed to jump in the arena with a unique product and take them on. Windows phone was in my opinion a superior os, with social integration and live tiles but it didn't work. The developers and the consumers never came on board. The new bald guy is accepting that they will not beat iPhone and Android at their own game, it's too late. He is trying to become something different than the other guys. Will it work, nobody knows.
    And there is no one else to blame for developers and users not coming on board but Microsoft. How could developers come onboard when the OS lacked the tools for them to develop interesting and compelling apps, the same apps they were making on ios and android? They could make use of background tasks, BT LE and the latest multicore CPU's and mature API's on ios and android but those features were lacking on WP for so long. Who was responsible for that lack of support? Microsoft, due to their lack of interest in the platform. Devs were willing and calling on MS to get their act together but they didnt so no surprise they turned their backs on WP. And with no competitive or compelling apps being developed how would users come on board?

The problem then and now is Microsoft, the so called "biggest software company" that neglected its mobile OS for years then after years of that neglect now turned its attention to its competitors to make them even better while they took their apathy to their own platorm to new heights. Lets not forget, Myerson ande Belfiore were in top positions when WP launched, and the same two guys are still around and now calling the shots. Not sure how you are going to get success when the people responsible for your failure for years are still the ones making the decisions.
    Kram Sacul, Ian_Superfly and 11B1P like this.
    12-14-2015 10:25 PM
    Live tiles, a truly awesome browser, the single most hack resistant mobile OS on the market, the ability to share anything from all over the OS, updates for years down the road direct from MS, stunning cameras, utterly customizable and smooth interface, individually pinnable anything (settings, each folder or email box, even files or websites) making the interface assist you the user in getting to what you need fast rather than conforming you to a motif, a real USB port for attaching removable storage if you want. How is that for a start.
    12-14-2015 11:32 PM
    "The single most hack resistant mobile OS on the market"

Is this proven?
    Is this due to less users than any other OS on the market, So hackers don't really bother?
    12-15-2015 12:08 AM
    I find it funny that people automatically assumes people staying with WM is because they haven't used the competition and is drinking KoolAid - news flash, there are MANY out there whom has and is choosing to stay. In fact, I would say it's the opposition, the proportion who stays with WM are people whom have more experience with the competing platforms, whereas those who won't try WM are the ones whom are short-sighted. Personally I have used Android since Eclair and iPhone since the 3G, I even have a Meego device (N9), currently I have several Android devices and an iPad Air, but my main phone is the 950XL. I'm choosing to stay with WM because to me the experience is, in fact, better than Android an iOS to me.

People often complain about the lack of synergy or unique features of WM. But here's one which is not available to the other platforms that is quite critical for me. Did you know that if you use another language IME in Windows 10 desktop (such as Japanese), the dictionary and machine learning from the desktop Windows is automatically synced to Mobile? This means every time I type something on the desktop using Windows 10's JIME such as very specific technical terms in Japanese, my 950XL automatically has it without me having to teach it again, and the word suggestion/my typing pattern is also synced, the reverse is also true. That kind of synchronization is not available on the other platforms and is getting me much more excited about staying, instead of many who dreads the "lack of unique-ness". Perhaps iOS with OSX can achieve this, but as there is no way I'm leaving Windows for desktop it's just a non-starter. And I can forget about Android for the same reason Android/Google has no desktop equivalence.
    editguy, RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    12-15-2015 12:23 AM
    Truly awesome Browser - WOW 😲 This is the joke of decade.
    Ian_Superfly and theefman like this.
    12-15-2015 12:28 AM

Is this proven?
    Is this due to less users than any other OS on the market, So hackers don't really bother?
    It was the selling point for Macs and they never had a significant market share.
    Witness likes this.
    12-15-2015 12:43 AM
    I thought trying to become different didn't work already? If anything MS is trying to be similar to Android and iOS now with the watered down design language. So now we have the same kind of bland unoriginal UI as the others, same lack of app support as before and with the same half-hearted marketing. Yeah, good luck with that.
    Varun Rajan and theefman like this.
    12-15-2015 12:52 AM
    Windows 10 Mobile share the same core with it's PC version, Making it has great potential from others.
    12-15-2015 12:57 AM
    ...the single most hack resistant mobile OS on the market...

Is this proven?
    In the sanctioned Hack events, Windows Phone consistently proves the toughest nut to exploit. Even more so than the fabled Walled Garden of iOS and Android... The thing technophiles love about Android is the "hackability" that allows them do so much in terms of manipulating the OS.

iPhone, Galaxy S5, Nexus 5, and Fire Phone fall like dominoes at Pwn2Own | Ars Technica
    Kaspersky Says Windows Phone Is the Most Secure Mobile OS

It was the selling point for Macs and they never had a significant market share.
    The user was stating his preferences, not making a claim about what drives market share, IMHO.
    libra89 and Witness like this.
    12-15-2015 01:22 AM
    think for the first time MSFT is forward thinking, and not trying to play catch up to the competition. Is Windows Phone unique...that's a very loaded question that depending on your perspective, will result with multiple answers. My personal opinion is that WP10 by itself is unique with regards to user interface and live tiles display, but that's not were it's true uniqueness is or shines. It's when you combine it with Windows 10, that is really showcases it's potential. MSFT recently updated it's mobile and desktop variants at the same time. Can Apple or Google do that? No, they can't. They're OSes aren't set up to do that...not yet anyway. MSFT can't be short sighted when it comes to accommodating consumers because they are still the biggest software company out there. What's interesting is that it's only WP that people are really getting on MSFT about. Where is all the rhetoric and banter about iPads? or Macbooks? Oh, wait, the Surface series has pretty much overtaken that arena of conversation. MSFT has shown it has the resources and capabilities to put out amazing products, so what makes anyone think that with the same team that produced the Surface, they can't replicate the same results with a phone?? My money is on MSFT. I'll agree they've made some moves that makes you scratch your head, however while Apple and Google have decided to go full mobile with a phone, MSFT is looking at full mobile with anything you use. It's more than just WP10, it's Azure, it's Xbox One, it's Surface, and the Office suite. The reality is that the mobile phone space is the only space MSFT isn't dominating and it really doesn't need to. The initial stages of an art project hardly resembles anything special, but when completed, you see the masterpiece it was intended to be. MSFT is just building their masterpiece so you're not going to see what it will become. The Xbox One store for Windows 10 won't be online until 2016. Holo Lens is just getting more acclimated to Windows 10. WP10 is still in beta, and the Surface phone won't be out until at least the summer of 2016. We'll see how things are shaping up then.
    12-15-2015 05:17 AM
    Windows 10 Mobile share the same core with it's PC version, Making it has great potential from others.
    Why is this so great?
    12-15-2015 07:05 AM
    Why is this so great?
    Because developers can almost forget about creating apps just for desktop, just for tablets, just for phones. The same code will work on all of them, there only needs to be a small amount of potential work in making sure that the user interface works on all screen sizes.
    libra89, RumoredNow and Witness like this.
    12-15-2015 07:12 AM
142 12345 ...