Is there anything unique left in windows phone ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Re: Is there something unique left in windows phone ?

Imho the only think unique left in Windows Phone are Live Tiles. Everything else have more or less gone multi-platform.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

As someone who uses and has used all four operating systems, I always find myself coming back to my Windows phone, I really and I mean really dislike Apple, not the hardware, but the OS and being shoehorned into what they think I want and what I can have. Now Android is not perfect and I find that Android phones are just to busy and feel over loaded with junk, Now on a Tablet I like Android, not so much Chromebooks, they are the cheap $50 Tablet version of Laptops. Now, Windows phone OS I really like and it is easy to use not loaded down and I really like live tiles and everything can be Uninstalled if you don't want it on your phone, Tablet or PC, it works for me. To many of you are hung up on your Hardware and that is what is going to kill Windows phone, I feel my year old M8 is still twice the phone the new 950's are, but you are all so excited to get something new and shiny.

Joe Frazier

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site

What's unique is the overall experience and integration. Cortana isn't as intimately integrated. My personal experience, in comparison to my wife's iPhone 6, is that it works better for my use. Simple tasks like copying photos and music to a computer are non-trivial with iOS and iTunes. Those are great if you want to use their expensive services and storage but otherwise, it's kludgy. As former Android user, I still tire of the fragmentation and update delays. Android is very flexible but still geek oriented when I don't want to mess the minutiae. Also, it seems like you have to throw a lot of hard at it to work well. Now, I have a lot of hardware (Lumia 950) but I like that I have some to spare to run a second, large screen via continuum. So, yeah, I drink the MS Kool-Aid but it's still the best Kool-Aid around.

MikeJer

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site

At this point, sadly, there are only really two reasons I'm sticking with Windows phones:

1) Glance. This feature is incredible and I use it all the time, every day. I can't believe how little this feature gets touted in evaluations of Windows phones.

2) Dark theme being really baked into the OS. I loathe light backgrounds -- they are really hard on my eyes (like this post I'm writing right now) -- so the dark theme is amazing.

Biggest current annoyances:

1) Lack of quick synchronization for e-mails, text messages, skype calls, etc. For example, when I get an e-mail (gmail) and mark it as read on my SP4 it simply won't remove the notification that I have an unread email on my phone until I go into that app and clear it manually. Extremely annoying.

2) Live tiles take forever to update with new data. Makes them effectively worthless.

3) BUGS. Windows 10 Mobile (Lumia 950) is loaded with bugs. One annoying one: half (not all) the time when I hit a toast notification for a text message the texting app won't load! There are tons of other annoying issues, of course.

I'm starting to get tempted to take a look at iOS and Android again, and I don't even care about the lack of apps on Windows. Glance and the Dark Theme are the only major features that are keeping me on Windows right now.

DarthJay38

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site

I really struggled this time around with whether to stick with Windows Phone or to bail and go over to iOS (Android just isn't an option, IMHO). I weighed a lot of different options from app availability to OS functionality. I ended up sticking with WP and getting the 950.

My biggest complaints still come in the way of apps, which every WP user feels and is tired of hearing people complain about. In particular, I'm an Amazon Prime member and I can't utilize Amazon Music or Amazon Video on my phone. That's just one of dozens of examples of the lack in the WP store that really should be addressed. Now I understand that Windows has a small percentage of market share and most developers are going to flock to where the money and the users are, but Microsoft should at least be able to have some pull with the big guys like Amazon to deliver some of these apps. Opening up the Windows Store on my phone is, frankly, depressing. With the exception of a few gems here and there, the apps and games all feel like the same ones I've been seeing in there for the last 4 years. I really don't see how MS can expect to do anything worthwhile with this platform until they have a strategy in place to deal with this as it will be the top reason people bail and the top reason people refuse to switch over from another ecosystem.

The OS seems much more polished than any of the betas I tested, but it's not without it's frustrations. The social media integration into the contacts seems to have taken a step backwards, for one. And don't even get me started on Windows 10 Facebook on my 950 - it's got a lot of issues. Where's my cover photo on my live tile? Why do I have to turn off contacts all together to not see everyone's birthday on my calendar? In general, I notice a lot of live tiles working sporadically and not updating correctly, I still have a lot of app crashes and my camera has some issues with not always capturing photos properly.

Overall, I like Windows Phone. I've been a fan since I switched over from iOS in May of 2011 - they've made a lot of advances but have taken many steps backwards, as well. I can deal with OS bugs, that's life. I'm afraid that if they don't make some significant strides in the app gap, though, it will be difficult to make the same decision at the end of this contract.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

There needs to be a support for Android core code so that we can use android apps. Preferably not playstore, I am certain that MS could ink a deal to put Amazon market on their pcs and phones, and make it so that they could package the android code needed to run the damn app. We saw it in preview and while it was quirky it needs to happen. Imagine Amazon having 1 billion devices at their disposal by having the amazon store on pcs with a simple 1% cut...
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. It would be an incredible deal for both companies for Microsoft to become the "official Amazon store".

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

There is nothing unique of any consequence in Windows Phones. WP7 and WP8 had the very aspects that made me love smartphones without the annoyances of iOS or Android. NOW what's happened is Microsoft let all those Android and iOS users dictate changes in Windows Phones so that it is a poor cousin to Android, for the most part. Integration? Gone. Hubs? Gone. Pivots? Gone. Easy-to-read UI? Gone. Me Tile? Gone. Fast, smooth, predictable behavior? Gone. In its place is something that all the world looks and behaves like Android. Tiles BARELY are a shadow of their former selves. Continuum is a JOKE, absolutely useless in a practical sense and a complete waste of coding. The iris scanner isn't even really an iris scanner and it MAYBE works half the times while gulping down your battery.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. It would be an incredible deal for both companies for Microsoft to become the "official Amazon store".
I am not sure Amazon would be that interested. Sure they could sell a few more apps, but it's not like they have had much incentive to improve their Kindle app where they can sell lots of ebooks either. I think Amazon just sees their app store merely as a tool to help sell their tablets.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site

At this point, sadly, there are only really two reasons I'm sticking with Windows phones:

1) Glance. This feature is incredible and I use it all the time, every day. I can't believe how little this feature gets touted in evaluations of Windows phones.

2) Dark theme being really baked into the OS. I loathe light backgrounds -- they are really hard on my eyes (like this post I'm writing right now) -- so the dark theme is amazing.

Biggest current annoyances:

1) Lack of quick synchronization for e-mails, text messages, skype calls, etc. For example, when I get an e-mail (gmail) and mark it as read on my SP4 it simply won't remove the notification that I have an unread email on my phone until I go into that app and clear it manually. Extremely annoying.

2) Live tiles take forever to update with new data. Makes them effectively worthless.

3) BUGS. Windows 10 Mobile (Lumia 950) is loaded with bugs. One annoying one: half (not all) the time when I hit a toast notification for a text message the texting app won't load! There are tons of other annoying issues, of course.

I'm starting to get tempted to take a look at iOS and Android again, and I don't even care about the lack of apps on Windows. Glance and the Dark Theme are the only major features that are keeping me on Windows right now.

"Glance" has been available on Android for years now, it's called Active Display.

Android has allowed users to change the launcher or "theme" since the inception of Android.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

I wonder how many hardcore windows phone fans there are as a percentage of current users?

I say this as someone who has come to Windows Phone twice and each time something happened to dampen my enthusiasm even though I like the OS a lot.

Although I had been interested in Windows OS for a while I didn't jump on board until the Nokia 521 because I really believed this might be the model to change things. I liked the phone but it had issues with mediocre battery life and a screen that was useless outside etc among other things. so I waited for a better model that never seemed to come along. That along with the app situation at the time made me jump to an inexpensive android phone for a while just to see what I was missing and which I still have.

I then came to a point I wanted to get a better Android phone, but I am not into buying flagships especially when the future of the OS was (and still is) in doubt, so that's when I saw the Lumia 640 and thought this may be the phone to fix all the issues I had with the Lumia 521 and it did. Of course the moment I bought one, Microsoft jettisoned the Nokia division which was not a good signal, but still. Then to compound it T-Mobile decided to stop selling it a couple of months later which was odd.

I guess my point is, I am sure there are many others like me who probably have already left, so at some point it will just be hard core fans who may not be enough to sustain it.

I'm going to try and remain on board for a bit though, as I would really like to see what the "new" Microsoft has up it's sleeve, although I am pessimistic to be honest.

ddartman7

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site

Only the most die-hard of die-hard fans can (and do) deny that WM10 is a hot mess. Seriously... things missing that we fought to have included in Windows Phone 8. Not since WP7 have I seen the OS in such a state of unfinished disrepair.

I really hope MSFT figures this out as I am beyond committed to the platform at this point, but I can no longer ignore the realities of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site

I liked the live tiles back when they were live and useful now it refreshes way too inconsistent to be of any use, the wallpaper thing is ruining it too.
The most annoying thing is the lack of interest from microsoft in developing or updating their own apps. I think Nokia had given a lots to WP development than what microsoft themselves achieved in the past two years. Think about it glance, clear black display,here maps, here city lens, and a lot more pureview some great piece of hardware. The thing is that they constantly pushed the platform and it really gained the speed. Now its outpaced by the competition.
Im wondering what prevents microsoft from providing their own quality apps to WP. Its not about in what platform it released first. Atleast try to bring it. They are the ones who tries to attract developers by saying its easy to port or to develop app for windows phone, why not stand in front and show an example. Why back off from your own os.

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

I disagree with your app statement. When your bank retracts from Windows mobile and you can no longer deposit a check, it's a problem, when your employer does not support Windows Mobile as a BYOD device with intranet apps because of low penetration it's a problem, when your favorite fitness tracker manufacturer does not bother to release a working app to manage your fitness it's a problem.
Apps are a problem. They are not the only problem, but there is no denying it.

I too miss the old people hub, I miss the family room my wife and I used to use all the time and which was the main reason we jumped on Windows Phone - what a great feature gone to waste.

It will take time, but they will get it right. They are rebuilding from scratch. iOS started some 8 years ago, so MSFT clearly cannot bring W10M to a level of iOS quality in 1 or 2 years. This will need time and patience.
I believe that humpty dumpty will be put together again.
All the king's horses and all the king's men will eventually prevail...
The song got it wrong....

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site

Unique?

-Live Tiles, I love it.
-Continuum, its still very new and fresh out of the gate. I'm sure big things are going to happen with this.
-Windows Hello and Iris scanner, again it's new. Give it time.
-UWP, how many other tech firms can boast this?
-Glance
-PC, Phone, Game console integration
I love how peeps are just jumping ship just because they don't like XYZ or it wasn't what they envisioned. Join their dev team. Give feedback if you want the products to be better. Don't be bitter about it. You have every right to voice your opinion, but don't throw XYZ under the bus just because it wasn't what you expected. Most of the stuff are still quite new.

What I don't like is MS reinventing their phone platform so much. But, with UWP its understandable. They needed new architecture to integrate all the devices. I also hate how MS shoots themselves in the foot, like the OneDrive fiasco. It make take a few more years before MS will really see if their investments will bear fruit. All of this Windows 10 and UWP is just still so new.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

Are you presuming that we're NOT giving feedback? Care to search Microsoft's various feedback/voice channels for my feedback? I can promise you my responses have been CONSIDERABLE. They are NOT listening. They're not listening because my comments don't fit their narrative. I don't just dislike "XYZ". I dislike the entire ALPHABET when it comes to Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile and the Xbox One NXOE. I loved WP7. I loved most of WP8. I hate almost everything about W10. I've tested all these various operating systems as soon as Microsoft made previews available. So, I'm perfectly okay with pieces that are unfinished--I get that. What I don't like is the entire direction they took things. THAT isn't something you can just gloss over with tweaks and updates. If I've always loved an SUV and they went and turned the darned thing into a crossover, why wouldn't I complain?

leehab

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site

Agree 100% . Company does not have code checkers as they were fired and instead using us to do their jobs . That is terrible . Also continuum really has no value or uniqueness . Company is producing far better apps for IOS and Androids than their own platform . What is that about . Do you see Apple or Google producing one single apps that runs on this platform . Every thing come with strong and Focused management which this company lacks

grezmel

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site

I like my 950xl and previously had a 1020 and a LG G4 in between.
I found myself filling my LG G4 up with apps that I never used (because there are too many of them available) making the phone difficult to navigate and still only using the basic apps anyway.

My work phone is Android so having a windows phone allows me to escape.

MSisLife

May 7, 2015
Visit site

Yes, stability of the os and you can share your WiFi with your contacts without telling them the password. Better Microsoft services and always better update I know some would say that Updates serious bro. Yes unlike google , ms provides update to almost every Lumia except for 530 but there are rumours that it may be update via Lumia creation tool. So yeah.
All it lacks is apps. Its the most secure os. Better than iOS and Android.

sonus

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

"Glance" has been available on Android for years now, it's called Active Display.

Android has allowed users to change the launcher or "theme" since the inception of Android.

Active Display is not nearly as useful as glance - ex-Lumia user and current owner of a Galaxy Note 5 and an HTC One A9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills