Is there a Lumia Phone that will support USB OTG?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Shame on ms on this one.

Again, I think it goes to requiring a physical circuit between the port and the SoC. Microsoft is not going to open every legacy phone and solder the motherboard.

It wasn't physically enabled as the OS/Firmware wasn't supporting it. Might as well ask for a retina scan ffc in addition.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
No more guessing.
I tested with my lumia 1520 using a generic otg cable and it does not work.
What's more interesting is that if you go to the usb option in settings it says that this device, which is the 1520, can only connect to a charger or a pc. That means there is no luck that any old devices before 950 would ever get otg support.
It is ironic as my very very old samsung galaxy s2 on android 2.3 can still do otg despite a very old os and vintage chip.
Shame on ms on this one.

Shame on MS really. A basic Android phone has OTG USB while a former Lumia flahship doesn't. SMH

ashyu

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I was trying to use "OTG" on my 950 XL, but it doesn't seem to work the same as older Android phones with OTG via the Micro B USB connector.

I bought a USB Type C male to Micro B female adapter and then connected a Micro B female to USB A female adapter, to which I connected a USB thumb drive and later also a mouse/keyboard. However, the phone did not pick up anything through this. I also have a thumb drive that has a Micro B OTG connector, which I've used with android successfully before, and even that was not picked up.

It seems you need to have USB Type C devices only?

All these peripherals I was trying to use work fine through the Microsoft Display Dock...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That really looks more like something for a Notebook that is going to power peripherals through a hub.

Not sure you want all that drain on your phone. For keyboard do you not have a Bluetooth model? Then just use a plain C - A socket for your thumb drive.

For way less than the cost of that hub you could have a nice BT keyboard.

ashyu

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I do have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse already, but was using an old USB mouse/keyboard to test the old OTG adapter I had on hand, as I knew that old USB mouse/keyboard pair worked with the Display Dock). I was looking at options to use some of the other USB peripherals I've used with the Display Dock while on the go, such as USB drives and an Xbox One controller (since the Display Dock needs to be plugged in to work).

Oh, that USB hub was on sale for black Friday for $20 (Canadian, which is roughly $15 USD), but I noticed it is back to almost full price now, which I agree is pretty steep!

I'll keep an eye out for a sale for the plain C to A adapters!

ashyu

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
By the way, I was reading a bit more about USB Type C and noticed that a couple places on Windows Central, people referred to a series of reviews on Amazon by Benson Leung. In response to someone asking about Micro B to Type C adapters for OTG, he indicated that "... OTG adapters like the one you are thinking about are not spec compliant ..."

I also noticed later that the adapter I have does have a fine print note that it does not support USB On-The-Go.

I didn't realize how different of a beast USB Type C is! Even looking at some of Benson's reviews, it is clear that not all USB Type C cables are made equal, and many being sold are out of specification.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Not for the 820s...
For Lumias, the 950/XL supports OTG...
Of the other phones, I can only think of HP X3... there may be others which I have forgotten about...

.... Lumia 830 from planet Orange!!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
hey i know this is an old post, but do you know whether the lumia 820 supports OTG?
No Lumia that originally released on Windows Phone 8/8.1 supports USB-OTG. That feature is only available on Continuum-capable phones and it's a short list in the US. Lumia 950 series, Acer Liquid Jade Primo, Alcatel Idol 4S and HP Elite x3.

There were some hacks available on XDA for enabling it on the Lumia 1520 but it wasn't very consistent. Some said it worked but most had failure experiences.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb