Is there a Lumia Phone that will support USB OTG?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: USB OTG Support

Definitely the 950 and 950XL. Windows 10 mobile finally adds support for USB OTG. I don't know for sure if that requires newer hardware though, but I think so. So it may not work on older devices or low end devices.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Here is a help page from Microsoft. New in Windows 10: USB Dual Role on Mobile - Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Please note, this feature will only be available on new Windows 10 devices that support USB Dual Role. This is because of the hardware changes required for the USB port to support device enumeration. While there are devices in the market today that have USB Dual Role capable controllers, the platforms were not designed to support USB Dual Role. New hardware may advertise that they are Dual Role capable.

I take this to mean that while existing Lumias of ≤ X40 may have capable SoC it was never enabled physically on the motherboard since Windows Phone 8.1 and below were never going to support OTG in the software.

anujindia12

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I just had a chat with the Microsoft on their chat support.... The guy told me that even Windows 10 mobiles dont support OTG feature and are not likely to do so in the near future....

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just had a chat with the Microsoft on their chat support.... The guy told me that even Windows 10 mobiles dont support OTG feature and are not likely to do so in the near future....

He doesn't know jack then. It's working on the 950XL and supposed to be working on the 950 too.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
He doesn't know jack then. It's working on the 950XL and supposed to be working on the 950 too.

I can confirm that it works on my 950.

Once again, another example of reps not knowing what they are talking about. I constantly see people arguing a point based on what a support rep told them, regardless of what some of us know to be fact - at no fault of their own if course, who wouldn't believe an official support rep?

Honestly, I wouldn't believe hardly anyone. They are a select few bloggers and sites that I trust (obviously Windows Central), but really unless it's an executive, official press release or facts listed on the companies website I wouldn't believe it.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Technically, the 950 and 950XL's USB-C dual-role support is not USB-OTG. USB-OTG is a very specific protocol with a specific pin layout and cable configuration.

USB-C is more open. Either device can identify as the host. It requires no special cables, just the standard USB-C connection.

But yes, both have the same end result of being able to attach peripherals to the phone. :D

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to say, any phone with Continuum will have USB OTG. So, right now, the Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, next month will add the Lumia 550, and then you have that one other phone I can't think of the name, heh.

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to say, any phone with Continuum will have USB OTG. So, right now, the Lumia 950, Lumia 950 XL, next month will add the Lumia 550, and then you have that one other phone I can't think of the name, heh.

I thought the 550 won't be supporting Continuum since it's hardware is... well.. low-end?

Ariel Takom

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
My mistake! I meant the 650. Which I believe is rumored to have Continuum.

I read somewhere (either here in WinCentral or at WMPU or maybe in reddit, not sure which one. Too many Windows-based articles being read in a day lol) that Microsoft is looking at options to bring Continuum to their non-flagship phones. I don't see any reason why this is impossible, but with the current implementation of Continuum in the new flagships, 950/XL, I doubt it will come any time soon (still laggy in some parts, multitasking is still sub-par, but I believe this could be improved in time). Maybe in 2, 3 years? Fingers crossed

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere (either here in WinCentral or at WMPU or maybe in reddit, not sure which one. Too many Windows-based articles being read in a day lol) that Microsoft is looking at options to bring Continuum to their non-flagship phones. I don't see any reason why this is impossible, but with the current implementation of Continuum in the new flagships, 950/XL, I doubt it will come any time soon (still laggy in some parts, multitasking is still sub-par, but I believe this could be improved in time). Maybe in 2, 3 years? Fingers crossed

I recall that too, though, unlike any phone without an SD808, 810, and soon 820, which can power two screens at once, it'll probably just power down the phone's display then power up the external display. Only time will tell, though.

RAMacLennan

May 10, 2014
Visit site
Amazon has this ad: Anyone tried it?

Nokia Lumia 1520 POWERED (OTG) Micro-USB to USB 2.0 Adapter High Speed Data-Transfer Cable for connecting any compatible USB Accessory/Device/Drive/Flash/ and truly On-The-Go with Power Port!
• Finally, an outstanding OTG + Power high grade cable for your Nokia Lumia 1520 at a reasonable price!
• Now you can power and connect your USB Device/Drive/Flash/Printer by plugging it in, and using it instantly!
• For data transfer with role swapping abilities, this customer cable is for those on the GO and want reliability NOW!
• Operate small USB peripherals by plugging in the adapter cable which transforms your mobile or portable device into a USB capable unit.
• CONNECTORS: Standard USB 2.0 port, Micro-USB OTG connector, Micro-USB Power Input Connector, Nanosecond recognition

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Nokia Lumia 1520 POWERED (OTG) Micro-USB to USB 2.0 Adapter High Speed Data-Transfer Cable for connecting any compatible USB Accessory/Device/Drive/Flash/ and truly On-The-Go with Power Port!
• Finally, an outstanding OTG + Power high grade cable for your Nokia Lumia 1520 at a reasonable price!
• Now you can power and connect your USB Device/Drive/Flash/Printer by plugging it in, and using it instantly!
• For data transfer with role swapping abilities, this customer cable is for those on the GO and want reliability NOW!
• Operate small USB peripherals by plugging in the adapter cable which transforms your mobile or portable device into a USB capable unit.
• CONNECTORS: Standard USB 2.0 port, Micro-USB OTG connector, Micro-USB Power Input Connector, Nanosecond recognition

I would not buy that until we know the 1520 does OTG, which it likely doesn't at this time.

Although personally, I could probably find a use for an OTG cable, just not on a Lumia thus far.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

No such animal exists.

This is a generic cable that the seller is plugging various model names into the title for.

Are you not suspicious that the pictures show 2 different products? Or that they show it hooked up to a phone that in no way looks to be a Windows Phone.?

Adding power into your thumb drive isn't going to matter...

terence chan

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
No more guessing.
I tested with my lumia 1520 using a generic otg cable and it does not work.
What's more interesting is that if you go to the usb option in settings it says that this device, which is the 1520, can only connect to a charger or a pc. That means there is no luck that any old devices before 950 would ever get otg support.
It is ironic as my very very old samsung galaxy s2 on android 2.3 can still do otg despite a very old os and vintage chip.
Shame on ms on this one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss