This weekend typifed the Good and the Bad of WP (Opinion)

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been a WP ****** since WP7 and have owned all major flagship phones since. While visiting San Antonio with my wife for our anniversary, however, I was quickly reminded of both my frustration and love for the OS.

On the frustration side: One evening we were going to see a play. "Hey Cortana...get me an Uber!" My wife was really impressed...until the Uber couldn't find us because the app gave him the wrong location (though he was close). Cost us at least 7 min. Then on the way back "Hey Cortana...get me an Uber!" Though it comes to the correct location this time it doesn't give him the destination address I put in (took more time for him to put it in). I also missed some important calls and texts. Then...the app gap reared its ugly head. Rental car place needed insurance card (lost physical)...option not supported by Progressive app. No 6 Flags app at theme park...this was something I actually needed at the time. Then the apps I did have were crashing. Err!

On the love side: When it was time to take pics my 1520 shinned. Our pics were amazing (as usual). My wife kept saying...ok lets us your camera! Loved that my battery lasted all day and how the hardware was unique compared to all those iphones in those long lines. I was able to catch up on some reading with my kindle app (great on that screen). Live tiles came in handy. And even though Cortana messed up my Uber, the integration was amazing. I could see where my Uber was via a map on Cortana and receive updates from her on the drivers progress. I can really see where the OS is going.

At time I wanted to throw my phone against a wall this weekend and go fetch me an iPhone (they really are too expensive though...like seriously). Then at other times I relished in hardware, camera, and overall feel of the OS. I just need this thing to work! Is that too hard to ask?

I'm going to blame it on the TP or the perhaps the 1520 itself. So I'm not going anywhere just yet. It's just sometimes you get a concentration of the good and the bad of WP :)

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
At this point, I would love to see MS suspending development of any new feature and just bug-fixing and polishing the OS to the point of a finished product. It's a great OS, it just needs some love.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for this thread.
I really appreciate that you were able to share what you love and what frustrates you, easily without attacking people who like the OS, even though we might not be a fan of its growing pains, lol. This might sound like a weird comment, but thank you for the breather. Really. Your frustrations are understandable for sure.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for this thread.
I really appreciate that you were able to share what you love and what frustrates you, easily without attacking people who like the OS, even though we might not be a fan of its growing pains, lol. This might sound like a weird comment, but thank you for the breather. Really. Your frustrations are understandable for sure.

You're welcome. I was eager to share.

Like I said it could have been the TP or the older 1520. The 1520 has been known to be buggy though mine hadn't started acting up a lot until about 2 months ago. I can't pinpoint though exactly which one because I can't remember when I started using the TP. In my experience 8.1 was much more stable as it was an official release. I probably should of stayed with that. No matter.

And while I think the 1520 is one of the best phones ever made, the negative effects of the size keep getting to me. So I went ahead and picked up a special edition black and gold 930 (another beautiful design in my opinion....always wanted that phone) with the hopes that it will be more stable. I've owned a 930 before and found them to be so. It was either that or switch to IOS which I really can't afford since I buy phones out right now.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I travel is when my 1520 really shines. I have to agree whole heartedly about...
  • Pictures
  • Battery Life
  • Power of Cortana
  • Big, beautiful, easy to read in sunlight display
I'd add a couple of things...
  • Here - I do all my preplanning on PC/tablet by scouting and putting things in Collections which then show seamlessly on my phone and makes navigation a simple matter of a couple of clicks
  • OneNote - I organize long trips in OneNote on PC and have everything I need in a notebook: places/maps/web links/information/confirmation numbers/phone numbers/etc./etc.
Travel is what has kept me off of Preview for Developers and then Insider. I want it to just work and it has. My wife, who uses Android, is always pleased and amazed by how much sheer utility I get out of the device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3