Reducing AMOLED burn-in on Windows Phone? How?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Soon I will have a phone (the 735) that has AMOLED for the first time, I'll like to know if there's ways to reduce burn-in and somehow avoid it altogether, if possible. I have been seeing posts about the 950, and other devices with AMOLED have burn-in going on, along with "ghost displays". I have searched Windows Central forums and read the most relevant threads about this.

I see tips on changing my phone to a dark theme but what else can I do? Will setting the brightness to low help?

I have never had a phone where I had to worry about this, because it's been IPS or just LCD. I'm not asking which one is better, IPS or AMOLED, but it appears that IPS has more longevitity. I would like to know if there's somehow I can avoid it, even if I have to dim things.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I feel a lower brightness is beneficial, but don't make it so you have to expend extra effort just to see the display.

I just wouldn't leave it on the same screen for a while. Like not web browsing in the same orientation for 10 hours straight or using GPS navigation with the screen on for a long time.

but I think you can pretty much use it normally otherwise.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I feel a lower brightness is beneficial, but don't make it so you have to expend extra effort just to see the display.

I just wouldn't leave it on the same screen for a while. Like not web browsing in the same orientation for 10 hours straight or using GPS navigation with the screen on for a long time.

but I think you can pretty much use it normally otherwise.

That's good to know, thank you for the advice. I personally prefer the white theme of Windows Phone, and everything I do, the books I read, etc are mostly white, but I can do that. I'll deal.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh yea, and hiding the nav bar sometimes is a good idea.

Using the white theme, I don't think it'll cause a huge burn-in issue, it'll just use more power, which may be acceptable for you depending.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you both for the tips, I have it in my hands now, and the screen feels way too bright so I dimmed it down quite a bit. I'll see how much the battery goes down with the white theme for now, and if it feels too fast for me, I'll change to the black theme.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Usually phones that have the AMOLED screens won't allow for a long screen on time.
The devices I've had in the past normally have a 5 minute static on-time limit.

To say the truth I've never had a problem or worried about burn in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3