Soon I will have a phone (the 735) that has AMOLED for the first time, I'll like to know if there's ways to reduce burn-in and somehow avoid it altogether, if possible. I have been seeing posts about the 950, and other devices with AMOLED have burn-in going on, along with "ghost displays". I have searched Windows Central forums and read the most relevant threads about this.

I see tips on changing my phone to a dark theme but what else can I do? Will setting the brightness to low help?

I have never had a phone where I had to worry about this, because it's been IPS or just LCD. I'm not asking which one is better, IPS or AMOLED, but it appears that IPS has more longevitity. I would like to know if there's somehow I can avoid it, even if I have to dim things.
    Last edited by libra89; 01-05-2016 at 12:07 PM.
    01-05-2016 11:48 AM
    I feel a lower brightness is beneficial, but don't make it so you have to expend extra effort just to see the display.

I just wouldn't leave it on the same screen for a while. Like not web browsing in the same orientation for 10 hours straight or using GPS navigation with the screen on for a long time.

but I think you can pretty much use it normally otherwise.
    libra89 and P1ng0fDeath like this.
    01-05-2016 12:42 PM
    I feel a lower brightness is beneficial, but don't make it so you have to expend extra effort just to see the display.

I just wouldn't leave it on the same screen for a while. Like not web browsing in the same orientation for 10 hours straight or using GPS navigation with the screen on for a long time.

but I think you can pretty much use it normally otherwise.
    That's good to know, thank you for the advice. I personally prefer the white theme of Windows Phone, and everything I do, the books I read, etc are mostly white, but I can do that. I'll deal.
    01-05-2016 12:51 PM
    Mainly burns are from navigation bar, and I have created post in W10M section on that.
    Last edited by TheChazas; 01-05-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    xandros9, libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    01-05-2016 01:04 PM
    Oh yea, and hiding the nav bar sometimes is a good idea.

Using the white theme, I don't think it'll cause a huge burn-in issue, it'll just use more power, which may be acceptable for you depending.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-05-2016 01:12 PM
    Thank you both for the tips, I have it in my hands now, and the screen feels way too bright so I dimmed it down quite a bit. I'll see how much the battery goes down with the white theme for now, and if it feels too fast for me, I'll change to the black theme.
    01-06-2016 10:47 PM
    Usually phones that have the AMOLED screens won't allow for a long screen on time.
    The devices I've had in the past normally have a 5 minute static on-time limit.

To say the truth I've never had a problem or worried about burn in.
    libra89, TheChazas and xandros9 like this.
    01-07-2016 01:21 AM
    Indeed, a bit of knowledge and there will be no problems at all, unless faulty screen, which is always possible.
    libra89 and Guytronic like this.
    01-07-2016 10:42 AM
    Mainly burns are from navigation bar, and I have created post in W10M section on that.
    Yeah. Two 1020s of mine have burn in circles from the navigation bar prominent in wp 8/8.1... I wonder if that's better than three bars though.
    libra89 likes this.
    01-07-2016 10:48 AM