Nonsense Swype word suggestions

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I just attempted to type the words "bowling ball" using Swype, but got "bowling Baal" instead. In what universe does this make sense?

To make matters worse, "ball" wasn't even available as an option when I scrolled through them, but "hall" was! How is "hall" a better match than "ball" when following "bowling"?

SMH...

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
the most annoying words to me are the short ones like "it", "is", "if", "I", etc...which it seems to get intentionally wrong everytime.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't get that as a main choice, let alone an option (bowling Baal).

I can see Baal as the last suggestion of about 10 if I type "baa..."

Theory: Have you used Baal before on that device. (Hey, whomever you contact is your business. I'm just saying.) It might explain the suggestion.

Mostly I just train it for recognition and move on. Not worth too much worry. That's the beauty of the system. It is smart and it learns.

FWIW: Android has a 3rd party App called Swype. Windows Phone has a native keyboard that utilizes Word Flow. https://www.windowsphone.com/en-in/...-personalization/typing-shortcuts?signin=true

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
No, to the best of my knowledge, I've never typed Baal on this phone before. (He's not in my contact list either, unless you count my ex wife).

Even as I type this, if I try to enter "ball" by itself, it works okay. But after "bowling" I get Baal every time, followed by balk, back, and bask.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I'm W10M on a 920. The update appears to have reset Wordflow's predictions for me, as it took while to start predicting my kids names and such again. I wish there was a way to remove individual items from its prediction list, like by longpress or something.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Agreed entirely. Whether using swipe text entry or regular typing, autocorrect is a giant regression in W10M.

For another example, my phone frequently autocorrects from 'that' to 'Thar'.

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see the algorithm responsible for this. Unless Baal was the Sumerian god of bowling, I can't envision any instance where it makes more sense to suggest Baal than ball in the English language. I could understand a little bit if there was some ambiguity in the letters I swiped, but it's the same letters in the same order. How many times would a sane person look at B-A-L and come up with Baal instead of ball?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit