01-12-2016 12:33 PM
48 12
tools
    You know, people like the OP really bug the **** out of me. I'm a dev, and you don't seem to realise how much time some of these apps take.

Bear in mind that most apps you want, you want for free. Made by independent/freelancers not corps.

Also, when was the last time ANY of you went to the Developers Corner of the forums and checked out stuff? Lots of people ask for help testing their apps (myself included) only to find that no one replies.

Hmm, yeah, I wonder why quality isn't better. /s
    The apps that the OP mentioned, with the exception of Pocket Casts, are all free and from large corporations, not paid and from indie developers.
    Jonnie LasVegas and Guytronic like this.
    01-07-2016 07:39 PM
    The apps that the OP mentioned, with the exception of Pocket Casts, are all free and from large corporations, not paid and from indie developers.
    Yeah I added the "Made by independent/freelancers not corps." but not in the right place I suppose. I'm ranting on apps made for free
    01-07-2016 09:23 PM
    Lack of motivation and attention simply.

For instance :
    • Aeries or Fenice are miles ahead of Twitter
    • 6gram is miles ahead of Instagram
    • MyTube or TubeCast or MetroTube are much better than YouTube app on iOS / Android

Those are simple example showing that with care and dedication, the applications can be really great.
    As long as there are good 3rd party app, I do not really care to be honest.
    captaincalamity and libra89 like this.
    01-08-2016 02:44 AM
    Apps, or some particular Apps? cause there ARE good quality Apps, free and paid.

People forget W10M is absolutely brand new, and most Apps are old from/for older 8.1 system, New Apps based on new Software/Hardware are just to come.

By the Way, MS going the right way, soon we can expect nice and stable OS, where we don't need to worry much about the Apps, cause OS it-self has a lot, it is not an empty System where you need to download everything, and besides that, like I said, a lot of quality Apps are just to come.
    captaincalamity and libra89 like this.
    01-08-2016 06:22 AM
    It's like going into a super market and picking up a box of branded cereal only to find it's filled with scrap paper after opening it. Do you blame the supermarket or the people/company who packaged the product?
    Going by my experience with customer complaints, the supermarket almost always gets blamed. :P
    Jonnie LasVegas likes this.
    01-08-2016 09:17 AM
    Coming from Android as a long term user, I find a lot of apps is lacking.
    The best part about Android is that you almost always can find an app that has the feature you miss in the OS itself.

3rd party apps I can understand since the big market is not there.
    But big name apps like Spotify and Facebook is severely lagging behind.

And don't get me started on Edge. An app from MS that is supposed to be universal and works like crap on my 950XL.
    The rendering is just awful! Really wish for Firefox to come soon.

What I would like to see is better support from companies that deliver enterprise (big or small) solutions to come over, especially like Asana or Harvestapp that I personally depend on for work.
    01-08-2016 09:41 AM
    Coming from Android as a long term user, I find a lot of apps is lacking.
    The best part about Android is that you almost always can find an app that has the feature you miss in the OS itself.

3rd party apps I can understand since the big market is not there.
    But big name apps like Spotify and Facebook is severely lagging behind.

And don't get me started on Edge. An app from MS that is supposed to be universal and works like crap on my 950XL.
    The rendering is just awful! Really wish for Firefox to come soon.

What I would like to see is better support from companies that deliver enterprise (big or small) solutions to come over, especially like Asana or Harvestapp that I personally depend on for work.
    Oh you think Edge is bad on mobile? Don't even go on desktop then. Actually runs better on mobile than pc
    01-08-2016 10:44 AM
    Oh you think Edge is bad on mobile? Don't even go on desktop then. Actually runs better on mobile than pc
    Tried it briefly before i reverted back to 8.1 on my Surface Pro, didn't really use it enough to have an honest opinion.

Sadly, I think it's on par with Samsungs native browser on Android. Not good, not bad either.. but really annoying at times when sites try to implement a mobile mode and you just want an ordinary desktop experience. Cnet is a good example when Edge is not working it's magic I found out today.

Missing features, apps and all, W10M is still a quite pleasant experience and honestly I don't miss Android much. :)
    WPenvy likes this.
    01-08-2016 11:33 AM
    Maybe 99% for you. And I thought the same way

But banking apps, or anything local - don't exist for WP. It is catching up to me. Coupgon works at my local grocery store, but I don't have the app available to me. Email the developers - they have no plans to be on WP even with W10. So I actually don't have the opportunity to save money with our the right platform.

I do agree that some apps have the bare essentials and effort is not made to spruce them up. I do have hope Windows 10 will make a difference in the app gap...

Glad you posted - interesting stuff!

People always talk about the app gap on Windows phone, for me there is no app gap, its got 99% of the apps I need, the problem is they are rubbish quality and some just plain dont work.
    I am not one for filling my phone with endless apps, I just install exactly what I need, and for me these are.
    Instagram
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Spotify
    Pocketcasts.

Instagram Has a major annoyance for me in that it leaves massive gaps in the timeline, I have a small data allowance so only turn data on when needed but doing this on Windows phone leaves a gap from when it was last on until now with no way of filling the gap like on Ios or android.

Twitter This has a similar issue with a gap in the timeline, its also missing notifications from people you follow, there is no moments, if I go to search for someone I follow on the other platforms when you start typing it autocompletes, not so on Windows phone, also when you search for something the results just appear in any sort of random order from any time, there is no listing from newest to oldest.

Facebook Personally it works fine for me but judging by reviews no so for others.

Spotify First of the bat its slow as molasses, resuming anyone? But more annoying than that is it randomly deletes off line content. What do I mean by this? Well because I have no wifi access at work I make content off line at home to listen to at work, you listing to a playlist, the music stops, you hit play again nothing happens, you then look at the phone the little green off line tick is gone, yes its decided to delete it. I had Spotify installed on SD card and thought that was the issue, so installed to phone same issue today, deleted an entire playlist.

Pocketcasts - This is the king of podcasts apps, I own it on Ios and android. For me the best feature is the sync feature so I can sync my podcasts between all platforms. So you sign into pocketcasts it starts syncing which again is as slow as molasses so you leave and open something else and let it run in the background, you come back maybe 10 mins later and its in the exact same place, it doesnt do anything in the background leaving it pretty much useless, it wont auto download apps or sync no they fail, even the screen has to be kept on or downloads fail, this put me off it so I never played any more with it but they ruined the best podcast app.

May be I am fussy? Ive used all platform so know how these apps should work but the simply dont on WP
    01-08-2016 05:12 PM
    Lack of motivation and attention simply.

For instance :
    • Aeries or Fenice are miles ahead of Twitter
    • 6gram is miles ahead of Instagram
    • MyTube or TubeCast or MetroTube are much better than YouTube app on iOS / Android

Those are simple example showing that with care and dedication, the applications can be really great.
    As long as there are good 3rd party app, I do not really care to be honest.
    I was a huge MyTube fan, but honestly after getting a v10, YouTube is better. Especially when you consider that you have to pay for MyTube. I guess it has a download feature.

Sure 6gram is better than Instagram on windows phone in some ways, but again with in app purchases to make it work. It is also not better than the iOS or Android counterpart in my opinion--as this is only opinion.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-08-2016 06:09 PM
    I was a huge MyTube fan, but honestly after getting a v10, YouTube is better. Especially when you consider that you have to pay for MyTube. I guess it has a download feature.

Sure 6gram is better than Instagram on windows phone in some ways, but again with in app purchases to make it work. It is also not better than the iOS or Android counterpart in my opinion--as this is only opinion.

Yes, we know, everything WP is lousy and everything iOS and Android is perfect. Reading your posts is like living groundhog day.
    01-09-2016 01:05 AM
    For platforms that are not their main concern, corporations tend to outsource heavily. That, combined with their general willingness to not pay enough for the development results in apps being rushed out. The smaller companies that are usually doing the actual development also don't often have the money for the right tools, which would help the process.
    01-09-2016 01:12 AM
    Whinecentral
    Need an Android Nokia ASAP. Nothing interesting on forum since Astoria leak. I think we passed the period in which we call this behavior "venting".

P.S: WindowsCentral app on Android works better than the WP one XD
    Can add this to your list!
    01-09-2016 03:08 AM
    Yes, we know, everything WP is lousy and everything iOS and Android is perfect. Reading your posts is like living groundhog day.
    Why do you have to fill in my words for me? I understand not looking hearing opinions contrary to your own-no one likes that.

I would like the windows platform to survive, but I'm not doing it by blind optimism... Didn't work for several years.

I feel like some of the posts about app parity including 3rd party apps are from people in a closed environment telling themselves what is true. I'm trying to offer objectivity in responding to some of these posts.

Good luck editguy!

01-09-2016 08:02 AM
    I would love Windows Phone to survive as I love the interface but that's as far as the love goes, as was mentioned in another thread, Windows Phone itself is fast, the apps are slow and its they are half assed. I am sticking with iOS, the interface really bloody annoys me though, its dated as hell but everything just works with no issues,
    01-09-2016 11:12 AM
    Just switched from bb10. App situation is way better over here. 💩
    01-09-2016 05:58 PM
    Just switched from bb10. App situation is way better over here. 💩
    Is that poo?

01-09-2016 08:12 PM
    Is that poo?

Yes that is indeed poo.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-09-2016 08:17 PM
    Writing good quality apps is hard.

I should know; I wrote a Windows Phone 7 app back in 2012. It took me approximately 10 weeks from start to finish working on it about 10 - 15 hours per week.

The app was a "calorie watch" app which was primarily just for me, but I decided to release it to the store for kicks. Not surprisingly, a lot of people downloaded it and used it and liked it because it was so simple. (It averaged around 4 stars back in the day.) And I gotta say, when I realized that my app had a fairly significant bug in it 2 months later, I was only vaguely interested in fixing it. Mostly the app would slow down so much as to be unusable after using it everyday for 3 to 4 months (I had made a mistake in my database design. I thought the database could intelligently handle foreign keys, but it was dumb about it and I was running into a O(n^2) issue regarding rows between certain tables.) The funny part is that 99% of people never use a calorie counting app for more than 60 days, so pretty much no one ever ran into the bug (including me.)

Now who's to blame in this? I kind of blame Microsoft because there weren't very many good instructional articles on how to use databases with Windows Phone 7. And most of them were very thin in content and quality. So I'd buy all the books and go to other Windows Phone developer sites and talk with other developers online. It was pretty hard to do solid testing of the app over time with the tools I had at my disposal. So I ended up with a decent app with a somewhat serious bug. And I didn't feel like spending the time to re-jigger the database. (read: lots of testing so that I didn't destroy people's data in the upgrade process...)

If I were to re-write this app today, I'd probably use Xamarin Studio with C# and release it for all 3 platforms (W10M, Android, and iOS). I would probably spend more time figuring out the best way to store and upgrade data structures seemlessly. I haven't checked, but I'm sure the tools and documentation are better these days.

https://xamarin.com/platform

The Xamarin platform needs more attention because it could be a game changer in that one can write 90% of their code to be platform agnostic and only have to write 10% more for each of the 3 major platforms. (Or something like that.)

Unfortunately, most developers probably use the native tools. So they write their iPhone apps in Obj-C and XCode and their Android apps in Java and Android Studio, and then if they have the budget, they contract out to some guy to write a Windows Phone app in less than 8 weeks in C# and Visual Studio. And in each case they have 3 separate code bases. If not enough users come pouring in via the Windows Phone app, it's unlikely to get updates.

Tis a shame, really. :(

The other game changer is that MS has made it possible to write Universal Windows Programs (UWP) that run on Windows Phone and Windows Desktop. I'm convinced that THIS actually has a real shot at Windows Phone getting the apps it needs. 80+% of PCs run Windows Desktop and most people will take the free Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade. If a company sees an opportunity to get onto the Windows desktop with their app, then they'd be foolish not to also release that app for Windows Phone since the code will be the same.

Here's to hoping.
    01-10-2016 03:10 PM
    Even UWP suffers the same problem to an extent as long as Windows 7 is the majority PC OS. Legacy desktop apps can be used by everyone, so why code apps specifically for Windows 8 and 10 - only 25% of PC users - knowing this?
    01-11-2016 05:05 AM
    Even UWP suffers the same problem to an extent as long as Windows 7 is the majority PC OS. Legacy desktop apps can be used by everyone, so why code apps specifically for Windows 8 and 10 - only 25% of PC users - knowing this?
    And businesses just updated to windows 7. Won't see any of those upgrade until the service contract runs out on 7.

01-11-2016 08:04 AM
    Yes that is indeed poo.

Actually I've been told it was originally meant to be chocolate ice cream but it looks like a poop so got used as that instead.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-12-2016 04:09 AM
    Actually I've been told it was originally meant to be chocolate ice cream but it looks like a poop so got used as that instead.
    Don't know personally, but I did stumble on this interesting article:
    The Oral History Of The Poop Emoji (Or, How Google Brought Poop To America)
    01-12-2016 12:33 PM
48 12