How can we petition so that the Surface Phone will use hardware navigation keys and not software key

tboy2000

May 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes if anyone knows about how to do a petition, for those that wants to sign it, it would be greatly appreciated if the info is shared here.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Actually prefer the on screen keys. As was mentioned I no longer back out of something or go back to the home screen when I pick up the phone or turn it to landscape mode.
Easy to swipe them away or keep them on screen if you prefer. This new style gives you options which is good for everyone.

Bagzton

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Nobody is answering the OP's question?

In any case, I'm particularly concerned about the physical camera shutter and hope it's not replaced with software button.

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I've had physical buttons for navigation and camera on the 521 and the 1320, and neither on the 640 and it doesn't bother me at all. Only one's being mildly bothered is my wife because you don't have a "hide nav keys" arrow button in Windows 10 anymore, which messes with her alarm app's layout.

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
To be honest I've been using the Surface Pro, which has the bare minimum of buttons, and I don't miss them like I thought I would! Cleaner design, less distractions, bigger screen. As long as I have the essentials (Power, Volume, and Camera), then I don't need the rest!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
To be honest I've been using the Surface Pro, which has the bare minimum of buttons

With the exception of the Surface Book, every model in the Surface line has a capacitive button. It would actually be a departure from Surface design language to not have capacitive buttons on a "Surface Phone."

To OP's original question: Is there a place to request hardware/design changes on Windows Phones?

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Some good news for you. On the latest ask Dan Windows episode. He mentioned that MS showed the surface phone prototypes to OEMs and the gossip is that it has a keyboard. Maybe it'll get a windows key.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Some good news for you. On the latest ask Dan Windows episode. He mentioned that MS showed the surface phone prototypes to OEMs and the gossip is that it has a keyboard. Maybe it'll get a windows key.
Doesn't mean anything. The Priv has a keyboard but no other keys, same with the Q10 and Q5.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Sorry not going to happen. What you see as a shortcut, I see as a good design choice. I'd much rather have buttons that can be changed on a whim if needed then hardware buttons that you are stuck with. As for the bottom bezel.....ummm on the 950xl there is practically no room for any buttons. As the mic is right there, and you would literally be pressing right on the edge of the phone.
Screen space? Ok what do you really need screen space for? Games? Videos? Pictures? Web browsing? Ebook reading? Fantastic. The buttons go away for the times when you need the full screen.
Where as, the Hardwar buttons will always be on the edge on the phone. Unchanging and unmoving.
I see no compromise in this respect. I see future proofing.

Cause right now, android is designed to be based around soft keys, ios is not far from being a software button only phone.
If you want hard buttons, Blackberry is where you want to go.

Agree. I like the software buttons. Best part about them (even though I rarely do it) is you are able to temporarily swipe them away.

Sent from my Surface 3

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
I suppose one way to petition it would be to use the Windows Feedback feature I guess? Perhaps in the "Preview" section of the Windows Feedback.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Software keys are awful. A compromise to save money by not using hardware keys. They take up screen estate (even though you can hide it at times with a swipe). A true flagship phone should not have compromises. They also spoil the look and symmetry of the phone. The bottom bezel would be plain and a waste of space when capacitive navigation buttons could be there. Awful on 950 xl. Perfect on 1520. So... how can we let Microsoft know not to make this awful shortcut on their next flagship phone?

I completely disagree with everything you said.

If you experienced the debacle of the 830 and constant hardware failures you might feel different.

On-screen buttons work and look great on the 950 and with them you get a larger screen on an overall smaller phone with a smaller bezel. No accidental presses while watching videos or playing games, because you can hide them.

I wasn't excited about them either, even after going through 4 Lumia 830 because of unresponsive capacitive buttons, but they've won me over on the Lumia 950.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
With the exception of the Surface Book, every model in the Surface line has a capacitive button. It would actually be a departure from Surface design language to not have capacitive buttons on a "Surface Phone."

And the exception of the Surface Pro 4, which got a bigger screen than the SP3 of the same size due to the useless button being removed. So the latest Surface design language is clear: It can all be done in software now.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
And the exception of the Surface Pro 4, which got a bigger screen than the SP3 of the same size due to the useless button being removed. So the latest Surface design language is clear: It can all be done in software now.

I'd have to agree. I think that the solitary capacitive button on the Surface line is a bit silly. But the capacitive buttons on Windows Mobile serve a much greater purpose.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I really don't see any benefit anymore in having capacitive buttons on the phone, now that I used the 950 XL for a while. Softkeys are always lit, can be hidden if not needed or disturbing (fullscreen apps do this on their own), can be customised or even changed in the future if needed and - major advantage - can be clicked with a mouse. Just 2 little things: Navigation bar should be hideable for old Silverlight apps too and the bezel below the screen should be even thinner.

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site

To OP's original question: Is there a place to request hardware/design changes on Windows Phones?

Ummmm NO! There is no Capacitive buttons on the SP4! I should know as the owner of one! None on the book! The S3 has one, so the S4 will most likely have none! They are all screen based.

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
I really don't see any benefit anymore in having capacitive buttons on the phone, now that I used the 950 XL for a while. Softkeys are always lit, can be hidden if not needed or disturbing (fullscreen apps do this on their own), can be customised or even changed in the future if needed and - major advantage - can be clicked with a mouse. Just 2 little things: Navigation bar should be hideable for old Silverlight apps too and the bezel below the screen should be even thinner.

I agree with this. At first I was one to say don't get rid of the buttons, but then I got the SP4, and I don't even miss them! I actually prefer them not being on there, because you can hide them, and have a bigger screen/thinner bezel.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by tboy2000
Software keys are awful. A compromise to save money by not using hardware keys. They take up screen estate (even though you can hide it at times with a swipe). A true flagship phone should not have compromises. They also spoil the look and symmetry of the phone. The bottom bezel would be plain and a waste of space when capacitive navigation buttons could be there. Awful on 950 xl. Perfect on 1520. So... how can we let Microsoft know not to make this awful shortcut on their next flagship phone?

I disagree, I went from Lumia Icon (with), and Lumia 950 (without). Software keys can be hidden, and give you more screen real estate. I do think transparency should be controlled in settings, and the swiping to hide and show could be streamlined.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion