How can we petition so that the Surface Phone will use hardware navigation keys and not software key

Cabo Blue

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Well then maybe MS can provide us a lock to set the onscreen selections in order to prevent drop down.
This would give every owner a choice to leave them on the screen or turn the lock off to allow it to be dropped down.

Poll
Ask the website owner if they can insert a poll for us to use.
Shouldn't be that difficult to include.
Either way the results will be reviewed by MS and most likely taken into consideration later

Cabo Blue

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I own 1520 & 640 devices.
I am waiting for the W10m upgrade so that I can make a choice in the future.
I DO like the drop down screen.
Currently using an i5s, sorry, with an otter box case.
Sometimes I can't tell which button I'm on.
The onscreen, for me, allows me to select "on the screen"... where I am at where my eyes are focused.
For me, the physical selection button feature works just fine, mostly.
I own a SP2, a Surface RT, and with the 2 devices I also own, these devices are one reason I purchased them.
I enjoy the "onscreen" selection.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Device needs to ha e a chin to hold. Screen to the edge would cause problems. Note 3 uses capacitive buttons which are okay bit I still accidentally hit them since they do not require pressure. I would like the chin to basically be a rocker button for the back and other buttons. Would make accidental brushes against it less of a problem.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Accidentally hitting the button on my 920 sucked. I love the 950 setup.

I completely disagree with everything you said.

If you experienced the debacle of the 830 and constant hardware failures you might feel different.

On-screen buttons work and look great on the 950 and with them you get a larger screen on an overall smaller phone with a smaller bezel. No accidental presses while watching videos or playing games, because you can hide them.

I wasn't excited about them either, even after going through 4 Lumia 830 because of unresponsive capacitive buttons, but they've won me over on the Lumia 950.

How do we petition against a petition for hardware buttons?

I prefer on-screen.

This all day everyday and tomorrow!

How can we petition to NOT bring back hardware buttons? Those things were TERRIBLE! Always accidentally hitting them when I had the old phones. Never on the 950XL.

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
IMO, after using the virtual buttons, I don't miss those physical buttons at all.😂

Agreed. And having switched back to a phone with buttons (went from 920>630>830) I really don't notice much of a difference between the capacitive buttons on the 920 & 830 and the on screen variety of the 630. The haptic feedback makes it even less of an issue for me.

The only buttons I'd want would be actual physical clicky buttons like the home button on the Omnia 7, or going back further, the full set on my Xperia X10. Capacitive vs on-screen buttons pretty much comes out as a draw for me, so if removing the buttons provides a bigger screen in the same chassis, I'll take on-screen - and they'll disappear when watching video, which doesn't happen if they're physical buttons.

rromerof

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Software keys are awful. A compromise to save money by not using hardware keys. They take up screen estate (even though you can hide it at times with a swipe). A true flagship phone should not have compromises. They also spoil the look and symmetry of the phone. The bottom bezel would be plain and a waste of space when capacitive navigation buttons could be there. Awful on 950 xl. Perfect on 1520. So... how can we let Microsoft know not to make this awful shortcut on their next flagship phone?

Personally I like "hardware" buttons (capacitive) but somethings those buttons make the screen unbalanced. Personally I don't like phones like Lumia 920 where the buttons zone is bigger, now I am using an iPhone and I like that the Home button zone is the same size the speaker zone. So I don't mind if this hypothetical phone called surface phone has software buttons as long as it has a balanced design.

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
New reason to like keys that can be hidden: my infant. When I watch a video (usually Elmo) on my Note 4, he is always hitting the home button and we rarely make it 10 seconds before I hear "uh oh" and I have to restart it only to have it happen 5 seconds later. On my Lumia 640? He doesn't ever swipe up the buttons, and he watches in peace.

Charles Roddie

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
"Back" is a common task whatever you are doing. "Search" would also be a common task if it were properly implemented. Separate buttons allow these to be used while not taking up screen space.

The 950XL has a lot of bezel space which could have been used for capacitive buttons. On-screen buttons makes the effective real-estate is smaller than the 1520.

Only when phones have bezels that cover the entire face of the device would it make sense to move capacitive buttons on-screen.

azlkk

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
The physical "start" button on my iPhone 6S is part of the reason why I moved back to a Lumia phone. Never cared for the tactile feel as opposed to the disposable 640 that I bought when they were only around a hundred dollars US. I much prefer the feel on my 950.

kashish gupta1

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
who said android is designed to work on soft keys.? many phones like Samsung have capacitive buttons. And capacitive buttons look good on phones. that's why most of the phones have capacitive buttons and it is easy to operate.

mehtanilay10

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I am using L535. I like onscreen buttons instead of Hardware buttons. I can hide those button when I don't need. After Anniversary update on screen buttons work like charm.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I prefer capacitive keys over on-screen, because I want every available pixel used for the gorgeous start screen. Crazy suggestion: make them capacitive like on the 1520, but allow turning them off and disabling them by a swipe in from the edge, just like on the 950XL. Win-win!

Well, apart from the fact that consumers probably would be very confused why their hardware keys stopped working. So maybe make it an option. :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I prefer capacitive keys over on-screen, because I want every available pixel used for the gorgeous start screen.

On screen buttons disappear when not needed. The real estate used for capacitive keys can be used to make a bigger screen.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Do we really want to go back to this?
htc_ozone_3.jpg

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It can, but it typically isn't. :) But sure, if they fill out the space I'm OK.

It gets out of the way when it needs to. I'm not sure that observing an extra 1/4" of start screen qualifies as necessary though... :wink: But if you have capacitive buttons, that area is NEVER screen!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre