So I've been checking out the Virtual Smart Card scene as of late, and been considering getting one to reduce my size of my wallet. I looked at the companies, Stratos, Plastc, Coin, and Swyp. Coin say they may look at doing a Windows phone app. But Swyp has my attention as they say they will release a Windows Phone app soon! They also will have EMV support! Have anyone been looking at these?
    01-14-2016 03:09 AM
    I always thought these things were interesting, but some of them have non-replaceable batteries (Coin for one), most of them don't support Chip/EMV, and personally I'd end up carrying multiple cards anyway because I'd be worried that the vendor I went to wouldn't accept the thing (that last part might be my paranoia though).

I'd rather W10M just decently supported NFC payments personally.

Also, I haven't heard 'Virtual Smart Card' to mean these types of payment cards before. Usually, a virtual smart card would be used to describe authentication cards. Government agencies, some large enterprises, etc. have used smart cards in the past for extra security when logging in, but Microsoft added a feature to use the TPM to create virtual smart cards where the authentication key was stored in the TPM. I honestly thought you were talking about using that with Continuum when I saw the subject, but that could also just be my personal craziness. ;)
    01-14-2016 11:33 AM