950XL vs iPhone 6 Internet Speed Comparison

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

In my other thread where I basically said the 950XL had too many problems and that I'm going back to the iPhone 6 for a while (http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/402742-i-cant-deal-950xl-anymore.html), I found it difficult to actually return it. I still have until the end of this month to do it and I fully intend to especially since the Continuum dock does not work with my HP ZR2740w monitor - more on that in a different thread, but I wanted to conduct one more test on what I suspected to be signal issues on the 950XL.

When I switched over to the 950XL immediately after buying it, I noticed that the phone seemed to have more issues picking up the TMO signal over my iPhone 6. This resulted in more dropped calls (3-4x 950XL vs 0-2x iPhone 6) on my commute route and difficulty in loading web pages when signal is not at maximum.

Here's the test. I ran the Speedtest app from Ookla since it was available on both platforms and placed it on my desk which is fairly close to the window. I even sat in the same spot just to keep the conditions the same.

iPhone 6 Results950XL Results
iPhone.jpgLumia.jpg

What I suspected turned out to be true. It seems the iPhone 6 does have a more sensitive antenna and this makes me sad, because the number one factor for me to return the 950XL temporarily was because it rebooted itself all the time. That was going to be resolved in the future by way of updates, but a less sensitive antenna it won't.

There you have it. I was planning to move to Cricket Wireless sometime soon so I should get better signal then and not deal with TMO's weak building penetration anymore, but in the end I know it will have worse reception anyway which by itself weakens the deal. That Ping... sigh...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Speedtest is not a measure of the sensitivity of your antenna. The only way to see the output of the antenna would be using field test mode. There are lots of things that can affect the speed, among them the processor, the actual radio chip, and the software.

Some of those issues could possibly be improved with firmware updates, some of them may be hardware issues.

cocopops

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I have found the speedtest.net app to very innacurate on my phone - Use alternative speed testers and see what results you get?

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
You can't use the speedtest app on the 950XL, seriously, it's the crappiest most messed up app on the store.
Use the Microsoft speed test app to measure your Internet speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro