Lumia X ELITE Phone Concept Pics

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapwave_Zodiac
Seems like a spiritual successor!

Personally I dont think it can really be much of a success without being amazing to compensate for the potentially awkward nature of the controls being there and Windows 10 Mobile OS, because Windows 10 Mobile doesn't exactly have the most amazing game library available.

Perhaps if there was some serious console/PC level stuff available, and I'm not saying "console quality" as in latest Gameloft game marketing speak. I mean ports (even Halo 2 will turn heads) or things that make the potentially niche design and gaming controls worth it for more people. and/or something that can put it head-to-head against the 3DS - I still see people my age toting them.

X Elite doesn't quite roll of the tongue so well, I kinda think Xbox Phone is simple enough and conveys what it is.
Not sure whether sticking it under the Lumia brand works or not, but eh, I'm no marketer.

Although Elite does have some naming potential as some differentiator if there's more than one model.

RalumiaX

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
The physical controls will slide out from the unit only when the user wants them. I see this being achievable without much of an increase in overall thickness of the phone. I think so anyway. The actual device that I have more or less altered (only very minimally) in the pics is the yet to be released 'Snail W 3D' An android powered device.

In terms of game quality, we would be seeing the bulk of indie xbox one / windows 10 digital releases all being playable from here on. There could easily be 100 games ready for launch taking full advantage of the new X-mode controls. I would think 100 existing titles to be available and 10 all new titles that could launch for the debut of the device would be a good target. This would ensure there is something for everyone from day one.

The opportunity for such a product could not be better with Microsoft's Universal Windows Platform now being in effect. The games will literally be made for this device whether or not it is produced and will continue to be made from here on IT IS CRAZY NOT TO MAKE IT!!! This would be a serious step up from the touch screen limited gameplay that just about everyone has been accustomed to. The playstation Vita and Nintendo 3DS do no have this valuable situation at there fingertips and aren't likely every too. More and more people are wanting everything all in one, this will be a solid device doing this, and doing it justice. Put simply, this would be the go to device for anyone who is serious about gaming on the go and wants a phone and high end gaming device all in one.

The naming was purely a play on the 'Elite' model XBOX ONE controller which I used the d-pad and A, B, X, Y buttons from. I put very little thought to it, although I feel it is fitting. XBOX Phone may very well be the right name for the device, but a part of me feels the Lumia branding may be put to good use long term with such a product. It could be marketed with such taglines as, 'TAKE YOUR XBOX GAMES ON THE GO' or 'XBOX GAMING GOES PORTABLE' Giving strong identity to having relation to the XBOX brand and giving insight to what the device can do from a gaming standpoint. My biggest problem with calling it an XBOX PHONE, is that I see it potentially coming across a little gimmicky. I can't help but think this could have been the major reason SONY weren't keen on the idea of a PLAYSTATION PHONE branded device when Sony Ericsson produced the PlayStation like phone, which never really took off.

I feel there is tremendous potential. Even at a $999 outright price point for such a premium product would see its monthly plan rate be still affordable by many. A $699 outright price point may be for a non Elite model may be a good move too. The differences purely being internal chips and camera.

LUMIA X ELITE is LIFT OFF!!!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The physical controls will slide out from the unit only when the user wants them. I see this being achievable without much of an increase in overall thickness of the phone. I think so anyway.

I don't think the controls you show can slide into the body without adding a tremendous amount of thickness to the device. C'mon. Look at what you pictured. How does that "disappear" without a huge well to store it in? The before and after pics show a device of the same thickness. When stowed, the controls would more than double the thickness.

How do they stow? You say they "slide out." Slide out from where? Straight out of the side? Then where do the phone internals go?

The pictures make no sense in terms of a real world physics. IMHO, maybe the second picture alone might be something that could be built. No convertible mode, no transformer. Just dedicated controls and stick with pic 2. Such a concept is very niche and most efforts along this line have not been a rousing success.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Mmm. Can't see this taking off. Like others, the slide away buttons are awkward, and the thickness would suffer. It has to with everything else tucked away in there. A massive amount of memory would be required for digital downloads. You can't carry a stick around with your games on. I'm sure Nokia tried this type of concept years ago with the N-GAGE, which didn't do very well. If you are out and about where are you going to find the time for a session of halo? Just think of the amount of data that would be used. I can't see carriers subbing this and the having to sub 4G plans because of the ridiculous amount of data required. Not sure about the US, but in UK, 'unlimited' data plans are subject to a fair usage policy. You might as well stick to the phone you have and buy an XBOX.

Please don't take this as a criticism. It's not meant to be. But after possible production problems, you could end up hitting the buffer again.
Maybe that's why Sony didn't go down the PS phone route. Makes you wonder eh? Great idea though, buy don't see a success with it. From what I can gather, this was an option, but didn't get any further. It might have worked on a surface, buy again they are generally bought for work and business

RalumiaX

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Maybe the rumored surface phone will have a second version with physical controls for gaming??? I think it will surely help microsoft build the windows mobile platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers