03-30-2016 04:05 AM
269 ... 891011
tools
    Way to go Robert!!!
    02-07-2016 12:58 PM
    Way to go Robert!!!
    Agreed, very well said. Thank you!
    02-07-2016 02:42 PM
    Awesome post, Rumored Now! Agree completely. I am one of those who have been visiting the site/forums less frequently of late due to the negativity often from the same users who just keep harping on constantly in every Windows/WM 10 sucks thread. I enjoy and really like my 950XL and Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 on my other devices. For me, it has been a lot more stable and improvement for me over my One M8 on 8.1. Others can disagree, and that is their right, but it has got carried away lately.
    Last edited by IndyJG; 02-07-2016 at 03:16 PM.
    02-07-2016 03:05 PM
    Because Nadella never claimed to be MS-first. By definition in 2016, "Mobile first" means iOS then Android. MS is putting the bare minimum into W10 Mobile just for appearance sake at this point. Just looking at the quality or lack-off the first-party apps is evidence of this. Shouldn't Groove Music be excellent instead of the turd pile it is?
    Groove is amazing now
    02-08-2016 02:28 AM
    Groove is amazing now
    Out of the MS apps available on Windows mobile and the other platforms, Groove is a shining star.

It's not perfect, but it's much better on Windows 10 mobile than on the iPhone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-08-2016 02:34 AM
    Out of the MS apps available on Windows mobile and the other platforms, Groove is a shining star.

It's not perfect, but it's much better on Windows 10 mobile than on the iPhone.
    Groove is also much better on Windows 10 Mobile than on Android.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-08-2016 02:54 AM
    Excel on W10M is also much better than Android. There are subtle differences that the average user may not notice unless you put a Windows device side-by-side with an Android and delve into the sub-menus for formatting, etc.
    Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk
    02-08-2016 11:55 AM
    Anyone who says Microsoft apps are better on iOS and Android haven't used Outlook or Groove on either of those platforms. OneDrive seems visually better on Android, but works better on Windows Mobile.

Outlook has been especially awful over the past few years on Android.
    nausky likes this.
    02-09-2016 04:39 PM
    Anyone who says Microsoft apps are better on iOS and Android haven't used Outlook or Groove on either of those platforms. OneDrive seems visually better on Android, but works better on Windows Mobile.

Outlook has been especially awful over the past few years on Android.
    I only use OneDrive for backing up pictures. It works faster on Android and backs up full resolution pictures without needing to wait for Wifi.
    libra89, Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    02-09-2016 05:04 PM
    ^^I get full res uploads on W10 without WiFi. You just have to switch on metered connections in the OneDrive settings.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    02-09-2016 05:34 PM
    I only use OneDrive for backing up pictures. It works faster on Android and backs up full resolution pictures without needing to wait for Wifi.
    I haven't noticed any issues on W10M at all and would prefer the 20MP files get uploaded on WiFi only. Still, my main point stands, with some of Microsoft's bigger apps, they are much worse on Android versus W10M.
    02-09-2016 05:36 PM
    ^^I get full res uploads on W10 without WiFi. You just have to switch on metered connections in the OneDrive settings.
    That's new to Windows 10 Mobile. Windows Phone 8.1 required WiFi.
    02-09-2016 08:05 PM
    It's not about censorship. It's about reasonable use.
    Very good post by RumouredNow. I was visiting Windows Central every 2 or 3 hours per day to post here and help people. For the past one week, I have already reduced the time I spent on these forums as mostly the threads are of negative nature or most of the issues posted are already answered so many times and people don't search the forums. They just create new threads for the same issue again and again.

Here are example of repeated negativity.
    wpdead1.png

Another windows dying thread
    wpdead2.png

wpdead3.png

wpdead4.png

By a simple search in the forums, we can see how threads are being generated to spread negativity on the forums. However, in my mind, I have a question about this : "Is the negativity against Windows Phone or is it a conspiracy to bring down the viewership on Windows Central forums?".
    02-09-2016 09:20 PM
    "Is the negativity against Windows Phone or is it a conspiracy to bring down the viewership on Windows Central forums?".
    Not at all.
    This is just how the trends appear.

In my years on this forum the negativity is what keeps many members reading more than anything else.
    The bad thing about negativity is that is wears many readers out.
    For me the down trending in the forums causes a bit of withdrawal.

I've never been on a forum that was completely upbeat with happy people where everyone talks about what a nice day it was today.
    Negativity is a driving force and will never go away.

As long as great intelligent discussion prevails there is nothing wrong with negativity.
    02-09-2016 09:56 PM
    That's new to Windows 10 Mobile. Windows Phone 8.1 required WiFi.
    I don't remember that being the case, but it has been a while since I used WP 8.1. Regardless, having/defaulting/forcing the option to wait for WiFi isn't a bad thing. Data plans aren't always the cheap and overages can be expensive. I'd much prefer it done that way than just automatically sending massive files up over my data plan and draining battery.

Obviously it sounds like you don't prefer that, but I think there would be an overwhelming majority who wouldn't agree with you. I'm not saying you're wrong either, but I'd wager the majority has a different preference.
    02-09-2016 11:49 PM
    I don't remember that being the case, but it has been a while since I used WP 8.1. Regardless, having/defaulting/forcing the option to wait for WiFi isn't a bad thing. Data plans aren't always the cheap and overages can be expensive. I'd much prefer it done that way than just automatically sending massive files up over my data plan and draining battery.

Obviously it sounds like you don't prefer that, but I think there would be an overwhelming majority who wouldn't agree with you. I'm not saying you're wrong either, but I'd wager the majority has a different preference.
    I have a 30GB/month data plan. Even if I did not, I feel that it is my responsibility to manage my data usage and my responsibility to pay the cost of any overages, not the phone manufacturer's job to limit my usage.
    02-10-2016 12:57 AM
    Whether MS has given up or not on is irrelevant to me now as I've given up. After years of using Windows Phone I'm monitoring the cost of Android devices. I'll rather deal with the adverts on Android then the crashes and degrading of Windows Phone 8.1 to 10. I had so much hope but looking at the smoothness of friends devices, latest trends and local apps availability on Android I realised that I have false hope I Windows 10 Phone. As has been said even the MS Apps on Android and IOS are much better.
    I recently dumped Onedrive for Dropbox after I had numerous data losses on Excel due to constant conflicts. Had none on Dropbox regardless of whether I use documents while offline at times. I've had it.
    02-10-2016 06:06 AM
    I have a 30GB/month data plan. Even if I did not, I feel that it is my responsibility to manage my data usage and my responsibility to pay the cost of any overages, not the phone manufacturer's job to limit my usage.
    Having a 30GB/month data plan isn't that common. Those plans are expensive and not many people are willing/able to pay for that. My phone allows me to limit that data so I can spend that money else where, as it does the same for many other people. I do get what you're saying, but your reality is an abnormality where as most people either choose or cannot use cellular data that liberally.
    02-10-2016 12:27 PM
    Having a 30GB/month data plan isn't that common. Those plans are expensive and not many people are willing/able to pay for that. My phone allows me to limit that data so I can spend that money else where, as it does the same for many other people. I do get what you're saying, but your reality is an abnormality where as most people either choose or cannot use cellular data that liberally.
    I agree with Laura, manufacturers should not dictate how users manage their data. That's Apple's MO and it seems people want to be led like.......sheep. Pun is 100% intentional.
    Laura Knotek and Guytronic like this.
    02-10-2016 01:24 PM
    I agree with Laura, manufacturers should not dictate how users manage their data. That's Apple's MO and it seems people want to be led like.......sheep. Pun is 100% intentional.
    While I agree, the Microsoft approach of defaulting to not using your data plan over Apple's we don't care about your data plan attitude, is much more consumer friendly. Enabling me, and many other users, to save likely 2-3GB of data a month by not automatically uploading pictures over a mobile network is huge. That 3gb is likely $10-$30 a month, which ends up being $120-$360 a month in savings. For the average consumer (I.E. those who cannot afford or choose not to buy a 30gb/month data plan), Microsoft took the right approach.

I do not disagree with having the choice, but the opinion that Microsoft helping to save you money (How dare they!) is a terrible idea is just wrong. Look at the outrage Apple users had when they defaulted iOS to disconnect from bad WiFi networks and automatically use cellular data. That would be 10 times worse press coverage if Microsoft did that.
    a5cent, RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    02-10-2016 02:35 PM
    While I agree, the Microsoft approach of defaulting to not using your data plan over Apple's we don't care about your data plan attitude, is much more consumer friendly. Enabling me, and many other users, to save likely 2-3GB of data a month by not automatically uploading pictures over a mobile network is huge. That 3gb is likely $10-$30 a month, which ends up being $120-$360 a month in savings. For the average consumer (I.E. those who cannot afford or choose not to buy a 30gb/month data plan), Microsoft took the right approach.

I do not disagree with having the choice, but the opinion that Microsoft helping to save you money (How dare they!) is a terrible idea is just wrong. Look at the outrage Apple users had when they defaulted iOS to disconnect from bad WiFi networks and automatically use cellular data. That would be 10 times worse press coverage if Microsoft did that.
    You should've been here a few years ago when all the ranting was about not having the choice to use cellular data AT ALL! Now we have that choice, but I still maintain it's not the OEM's responsibility.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-10-2016 04:29 PM
    While I agree, the Microsoft approach of defaulting to not using your data plan over Apple's we don't care about your data plan attitude, is much more consumer friendly.
    Apple had caps on data usage when downloading from the App Store. Those were rather restrictive at one time. I know the caps were increased, but they still exist. Hate The 100mb Download Limit - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Android has never had enforced data restrictions.
    02-10-2016 04:44 PM
    Apple had caps on data usage when downloading from the App Store. Those were rather restrictive at one time. I know the caps were increased, but they still exist. Hate The 100mb Download Limit - iPhone, iPad, iPod Forums at iMore.com

Android has never had enforced data restrictions.
    Ideally, the defaults would be as they are, but the user would be given the option to override and use mobile data. That is pretty much how Android does it, and it is perfect for me. I'm on Verizon with an unlimited data plan, and I almost never turn on wifi at all, even at home. My mobile data is faster than the cable at my house. Having the option of downloading and syncing anything and everything with mobile data is what I need.
    Laura Knotek, a5cent and libra89 like this.
    02-10-2016 05:00 PM
    The other thing that seems silly about some of these OEM-created data caps that cannot be controlled by the user is that it applies even if the user has a data plan that includes mobile hotspot. What's the point of limiting a user to 100 MB downloads from the App Store or requiring the user to wait for WiFi to upload full resolution pictures to OneDrive, when that user already has the capability to use much more data than that when using mobile hotspot?
    Last edited by Laura Knotek; 02-10-2016 at 05:18 PM.
    a5cent likes this.
    02-10-2016 05:05 PM
    You should've been here a few years ago when all the ranting was about not having the choice to use cellular data AT ALL! Now we have that choice, but I still maintain it's not the OEM's responsibility.
    It may not be the OEM's responsibility, but how many average users are aware of how much data they're really using? It's not like OEM's have always been good about helping to inform users of that. My argument is not necessarily that nothing should ever go over cellular data, but that the OEMs should have options to help users from using unnecessary amounts of data or using more data than they would prefer to use. Data isn't free and unlimited (in most cases), and as long as that is the case, the OEMs should be consumer friendly and offer ways for the user to manage the data used.

We're way off topic on this thread... haha
    a5cent and libra89 like this.
    02-10-2016 05:15 PM
269 ... 891011