03-30-2016 04:05 AM
269 1234 ...
tools
    I've been using Windows phone since I got my Focus when it first came out. I love the UI and the phones. I have a 950XL now. They keep pushing things to other platforms and seem unconcerned about issues in there own platform. I'm still unable to get the .36 update. Wordflow doesn't work in edge. Continual reboots. Etc.
    Will the frustration ever end?
    Once you embrace the iPhone it will.
    WP is dead. The surface phone won't have any more apps. Without apps, the phone will never gain marketshare.
    MS will botch the surface phone somehow.
    They will start the OS all over AGAIN. They will do something stupid like make it AT&T only.
    Since the 650 is the last of WP. You will see a few patches here and there to make that $700 950XL somewhat 'stable' and call it a day.
    Your phone won't stop working. It just won't get much better. of course, it sounds like its not working anyways, so anything will be more 'stable'
    01-19-2016 01:53 AM
    WP is dead. The surface phone won't have any more apps. Without apps, the phone will never gain marketshare.
    They will start the OS all over AGAIN. They will do something stupid like make it AT&T only.
    Since the 650 is the last of WP. You will see a few patches here and there to make that $700 950XL somewhat 'stable' and call it a day.
    Your phone won't stop working. It just won't get much better. of course, it sounds like its not working anyways, so anything will be more 'stable'
    One of the reasons I sold my 640 xl. I don't see MS improving the OS in near future. The apps are terrible compared to Android ones, even those made by MS.
    And now the news that the 650 will be the last Lumia... Well the future doesn't seem so bright
    mayconvert likes this.
    01-19-2016 03:22 AM
    No they won't give up on mobile.
    People saying they do, don't see the bigger picture, and are only looking at 1 thing which is W10 mobile, and as long as they keep doing this, they will never understand.
    parcp67, anon5924279 and tropolite like this.
    01-19-2016 07:27 AM
    I always laugh when people complain about issues when they are in a testing program. It's 'beta' software for a reason folks - don't install it unless you aren't depending on your device to be your daily driver. That said, I think MS is throwing in the towel on Windows for Mobile soon, but not for the reasons you think. I think that people haven't adopted the platform like they hoped. People aren't developing Apps for the platform like they hoped. People aren't excited about the platform like they hoped. Overall, the platform has failed to do anything that they want it to. So, without further ado, I see a partnership with Intel coming where full blow Windows 10 gets rolling on the Surface Phone before the end of the year - like probably in time for the holidays.

Yes, abandoning the mobile in favor of a full version of Windows 10 would allow mobile tablets and phones to run EXE files and could load it as a PC using the Windows to Go protocols to make Continuum much more powerful. I think the Windows for Mobile idea is something that will build to a full blown version of Windows on a mobile device as soon as they have the hardware that will handle it.

Just my two cents though...
    Have you been paying attention? There have been many new apps coming out and a lot of them universal. And windows 10 isn't even globally out on mobile. I barely ever saw this many apps coming out on 8.1. It was just sort of tumbleweed most of the time. So while it may not be as good as the competition it's in a much better state than before. Even existing apps are being updated and are coming out great. So not sure what you are expecting. Do you think every developer in the world has finished a quick windows 10 app without official API and are all going to submit at the same time and everything will be hunky dory?
    Wes Smith, gcyoung and zkyevolved like this.
    01-19-2016 10:44 AM
    When windows 10 mobile is going to release for Lumia 520.
    01-19-2016 11:08 AM
    When windows 10 mobile is going to release for Lumia 520.
    Late 2016.
    mayconvert likes this.
    01-19-2016 11:17 AM
    I've been using Windows phone since I got my Focus when it first came out. I love the UI and the phones. I have a 950XL now. They keep pushing things to other platforms and seem unconcerned about issues in there own platform. I'm still unable to get the .36 update. Wordflow doesn't work in edge. Continual reboots. Etc.
    Word Flow does work in Edge, just not the address bar. I believe that is by design.
    editguy likes this.
    01-19-2016 11:22 AM
    I'm on my second 950XL, I still get random reboots. It's not hardware related.
    01-19-2016 11:33 AM
    I think the problem is that the message Microsoft is sending by giving priority to other platforms is that W10M isn't a priority and they'll get around to it whenever they have time. Currently, W10M is a hot mess, absolutely still in beta, and has a long way to go to just get even with WP8.1. Hopefully by the time the Surface phone comes out they'll have W10M sorted, but right now it's mostly an exercise in frustration. This is coming from a diehard Microsoft fan.
    01-19-2016 11:37 AM
    No.

Microsoft seems like they are about the mighty dollar than their own products. They publicly stated that Windows Phone was a failure. So they are just selling out to all other platforms.

Now the wordflow keyboard to iOS ? Really ? Is there ANYTHING exclusive on Windows Phone at all now ? We lost Cortana, Office, Outlook, in fact, some of their products for Android and iOS are BETTER than they are on Windows Phone. Just when you would think Microsoft would put their 100% best into their own products...I guess this is not the **NEW** Microsoft

I am almost at the end of my rope with Windows 10 phone. Even current updates on the preview program version (.36), Hard reset with out restoring, did everything from ground up on my ICON.

Applcation crashes are VERY common, "Loading....." screens happen at least once a day, Create icons for each email account, click on one it opens the wrong account, random reboots, No way to mute Cortana. Even this morning, I check emails, I get long email, click "download from the server" scrolling up or down loses the rest of the email, so I have to wait 10 seconds for it to come back (FULL 5 BAR LTE, NO connection issues), Blue-tooth notifications are spotty (MS band 2, Not a 3rd party option). Of course we cant forget the just OK battery life on WIndows 10 phone

Ok, Uninversal apps, new Windows 10 platform, good play right ? Still Apps are a problem, even basic banking apps or common store or TV station apps are not available.... How about "Tap to Pay" sure coming with Windows 10 Phone, it's built in but, no such provider to use it. I know things will take time but, when you have been on a platform for over 5 years and have been told coming soon, it does get VERY OLD.

Shall I go on ? This is a released RTM/FINAL verson ? Really ?

Microsoft should change their name to "Comming Soon™"

Sigh....More waiting....
    01-19-2016 12:32 PM
    you all fail to see that there is many departments in a company. just cuase the Windows Developers aren't updating or fixing as fast as IOS or Android ones doesn't mean they are backing down or leaving W10M behind. No more lumia devices cause they plan a surface phone. Duh! Why have 2 mainstream devices.. stupid... Windows will always have a mobile os and phone cause its profitable for them. Why would you just stop accepting money from people. You guys need to use math.
    Papin Schipper likes this.
    01-19-2016 01:09 PM
    They can't give up on W10M unless they are planning on giving up on Windows. They cannot go without a mobile OS because that's were most users will be in the following years.

That would be killing MS as we know it and becoming IBM to let android and ios rule the world.
    01-19-2016 01:21 PM
    I'm beginning to find these threads amusing. It's mostly the same group of people complaining about the same things over and over again, and predicting the end of WP (that's been going on for over a year now) and Microsoft's doom. The funny thing is that I've been hearing about the demise of Microsoft for the past twenty years. Mysteriously, Microsoft marches on and are becoming more profitable and have seen a significant increase in stock prices (nearly double what it was when Nadella took the reins). Meanwhile, I'm over here enjoying my phones on W10.
    Jakoh, M7H, HeyCori and 4 others like this.
    01-19-2016 01:51 PM
    I thought this tread was going to be about only releasing 650 next month!
    Lets make a left turn and talk about how M$ only need two phones. 650 and "Surface" phone.
    01-19-2016 01:51 PM
    I too have a Lumia Icon. I had one a year ago, sold it, and bought another one a few months ago. I thought I'd give W10M a chance. It's better, but not much. I suffer from app crashes, random reboots, email not syncing, weak WiFi signals, poor bluetooth connectivity, etc. As of right now, I am reinstalling W10M from a complete wipe. I'm tired of this crap. The mobile OS is garbage. I had these same problems a year ago. MS hasn't fixed the core issues with the OS. All you hear about is the apps. Who cares about the apps if the OS is fubar!!! This is why I bought a Moto X Pure this morning. Android may not be perfect either, but at least it has a huge support base. And to think, I almost bought a 950XL because I thought continuum was going to change everything.
    01-19-2016 01:52 PM
    @acosgrove79

I'm running it on HTC One M8 my Daily driver ( My wife has the same phone & OS also) , Microsoft Lumia 535 ( My 7 yr old son) & my backup NL 925. It's strange but our experiences are nothing like that which you state. I'm happy with the direction & eagerly anticipate it getting even better.
    01-19-2016 02:03 PM

that's the only reason I'm cautious I want the xl but I'm reading so many issues and I'm not sure why Microsoft is porting some of their best features on windows phone to other platforms it makes absolutely no sense. why is wordflow going to ios before windows 10 pc smh.

Sent from mTalk
    OHardy likes this.
    01-19-2016 02:05 PM
    I understand some of the negativity and downbeat thinking, but I disagree with the notion that Windows on mobile is in a terminal decline. There are many rough edges yet to be worked out and many compromises one must make to use the platform, but I think that with Windows 10 as a unified platform, we're finally seeing Microsoft take a forward-looking approach at anticipating where tech is heading in the medium term. Whereas Apple is still insistent on separate operating systems for every device and Google only recently announced that they will merge Chrome OS into Android in the future, Microsoft realizes that technology is moving toward a user's interaction with their services and data being the same no matter what the interface device is (phone, tablet, laptop, desktop, hybrid, augmented reality, etc.). Having come so late into "modern" smartphone game, Microsoft is attempting to beat everyone to the next step. And from what I've seen so far, they are on the right track.
    01-19-2016 04:59 PM
    I understand some of the negativity and downbeat thinking, but I disagree with the notion that Windows on mobile is in a terminal decline...
    What's in "terminal decline" is the community here and on other top Windows sites/boards, and it's infectious.

The attitude of doom and gloom and most of all the hyperbole (on top of the attitude of actual writers and the editor here) are driving me away more than anything because I'm one of the users that is actually very happy with my 950 and the Windows 10 OS.

(I am mostly pissed about how well Microsoft apps are on iOS compared to Windows phone, but that's nothing new.)
    01-19-2016 07:16 PM
    Well when wc doesn't even release a w10app what do you expect.
    01-19-2016 07:46 PM
    SPOT ON.

Everyone is trying to get blood out of stone now instead of being realistic about the situation. You have the last Lumia being released in a few weeks time, and then MAYBE a Surface Phone later in 2016 - which will still have the same problems the platform does now.

Get rid of that thing and move over to one of the other two platforms. I miss WP, but I don't miss a platform filled with broken promises and rejection by the industry. Time to let it go.

I'm beginning to find these threads amusing. It's mostly the same group of people complaining about the same things over and over again, and predicting the end of WP (that's been going on for over a year now) and Microsoft's doom. The funny thing is that I've been hearing about the demise of Microsoft for the past twenty years. Mysteriously, Microsoft marches on and are becoming more profitable and have seen a significant increase in stock prices (nearly double what it was when Nadella took the reins). Meanwhile, I'm over here enjoying my phones on W10.
    Nobody is talking about the death of MS. On the contrary, MS is doing some amazing things these days. Surface is absolutely brilliant and looks to have an excellent future, many iOS and Android users are rocking a Surface with their mobile devices. Windows 10 has been really well received. MS is doing great things.

The death knell is about the MOBILE side of things. Threads like this are more and more common, and more people, even die hard fans of WP are reaching the limits of their patience.

Enjoy that phone - with next to no services (let me guess, you "don't need any apps") and no developer or industry interest. Meanwhile, MS is more focused bringing its services to other platforms where they will be better received. Unfortunate, but even they realise their mobile strategy has failed. Soon you'll see MS services on other platforms which have more features than they do on MS's own mobile OS.
    Last edited by Mindi B; 01-19-2016 at 09:28 PM.
    01-19-2016 09:17 PM
    I remain very bullish on the Windows 10 cross platform strategy. I am the owner of a 950XL, and I find it to be excellent. The experience of Windows 10 Mobile on my 950XL is light-years ahead of the insider build experience on my 735 and old 920.

Late last year, Microsoft got their ducks lined up. We now have Windows 10 across PC, tablets, phones and Xbox One consoles. We are now in the Redstone phase of updates. It has already been mentioned by Microsoft that they are doing a lot of back end work to get the three main device types working tightly together.

The early synergies between my Windows 10 PC and my 950XL are already empowering. I get missed call notifications in my action centre on my PC, and I can respond to a missed call via text message from the PC. This type of cross platform convenience will only improve with time.

My 950XL already offers me a great Continuum experience on my 60inch TV wirelessly, courtesy of my Xbox One. I have a free Microsoft Dock coming that will take Continuum's performance to the next level and give me another PC to play with, this time in my living room with surround sound

The camera is superb

The screen is superb

Windows Hello has had a nice boost in performance in update .36 and above

Groove's performance is so much better than it was on my other two handsets.

Cortana is superb in my car, and "Hey Cortana" is working superbly well on my phone and PC. I also understand it is coming to Xbox One

Xbox One is now part of the Windows 10 family. This year it will run universal apps, and complete the universal app landscape across platforms. This can't come soon enough

No other platform can give me these features across tablet, multiple PCs, phone and gaming console.
    01-19-2016 10:53 PM
    Basically my thoughts. This is the harsh reality of Windows Phone. I love Windows Phone. I love it, don't get me wrong. The lack of support is what kills it for me. Did they even try? Sucks since I love the design of the 950 and 950xl but I had to choose functionality over design so I went with the iPhone 6s. iOS isn't as dynamic as Windows but it's miles more stable than Windows.

I'm not closing my doors for new Windows Phones but right now, there's still no reason to switch back. I had a Lumia 920, 1520 and 630. I had 3 WPs and this is just my second iPhone. I was into that but when it was time to upgrade I had to think reasonably and the iPhone is the reasonable choice for me.

Now that Cortana and the AWESOME Word Flow keyboard is coming to iOS, I think I have everything I need sans the Windows UI (and Xbox Music UI but since they botched that up too, then good riddance).
    01-19-2016 11:45 PM
    The smartphone market is growing and growing. Wearable's are going to grow. I doubt they will leave the market. There is to much opportunity for growth. MS is not poor either.
    Laura Knotek and gcyoung like this.
    01-20-2016 12:44 AM
    [WARN]Ladies and gentlemen, please keep discussion productive and on topic. Personal attacks, insults, taking threads off topic and other disruptive posting behaviors are not acceptable. If you do not like a post, please behave like an adult and move on, or if you feel it violates the forum rules, please report it. At no point should members be calling each other out in posts. Thanks.[/WARN]
    01-20-2016 01:08 AM
269 1234 ...