Is MS giving up?

thetruth1960

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I see it as a positive event, that you are moving to iOS and Android development. If your clients want to develop for those environments, you must develop to earn your living but the positive part comes where you can impress upon your client that after development of the iOS and Android apps, you can develop a Windows Universal App without much effort using islandwood.

Yep. And I like I said in a previous post, for the systems I build, there is a possibility that the system will benefit from a Windows App. And of course that would be a Universal App.

Mindi B

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I think most of us have not go it yet. Microsoft has already let go and they are not competing with anyone. They are just trying to improve the services they have currently. They have already said that they are not looking for market share in mobile market.

Which means, it has nothing to offer.

Without market share, you have no developer interest.
No developer interest = no services to offer that aren't native to the OS.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm an entrepreneur. I've been founding and running my own companies for a couple of decades. Yes, just look at the numbers. Do you know how many units the first iPhone sold? 6.1 million. Was it a failure? It wasn't until 2010 that Apple sold more than 30 million iPhones in a year.

Was the iPhone a failure for it's first 3 years? Of course not.

I agree with you on many of your points, but not here. I have to say that comparing this to iPhone is not a good one. Market has changed since the launch of iPhone. iPhone sold more units every year since launch and on the 5th year 120 million units. The difference in that perspective alone is huge compared to WP, the main point being the steady rise vs the growth of WP. And anyway, the market is different now, you cant compare this situation to how iPhone developed.

The market will change again, iOS and Android will most likely die and make room for something else, but thats not happening yet.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As a businessman I actually think some developers are missing an opportunity here. If I lived in australia (used to, Europe now), population 20+ million, and I saw some product selling like crazy in the US that wasn't available in Australia, I'd see opportunity - there's a proven, customer validated product and an untapped market with little competition.

Like I wrote I live in Finland. We (I think) actually had the highest market share for Windows Phone. This has since plummeted. The main reason being, that people were disappointed in their devices and the user experience. It was lacking in many way, we cannot disagree on that Im sure. Facebook was subpar for years, many many missing apps, like Instagram and so many others (that actually are missing totally) and the OS had it own shortcomings. Now as an entrepreneur I know this to be a very BIG problem. Its very hard to get someone back after they disappoint and leave.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Like I wrote I live in Finland. We (I think) actually had the highest market share for Windows Phone. This has since plummeted. The main reason being, that people were disappointed in their devices and the user experience.

The reason Finland had a high market share for Windows Phone was no doubt because of the Nokia name. Microsoft was very clever to exploit Nokia's name recognition to push Windows Phone. Will that work out long term?

Now that the Lumia brand has changed from Nokia to Microsoft, it no longer has the clout of Nokia. Has Windows Phone made enough of an inroad to sell well on its own merits? It will also be interesting to see what happens if Nokia releases an Android phone. Will it be able to ride on its reputation of the past?

RayWP7

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok. So I am attempting to reply to a specific post, but for some reason the browser (Edge) or the site is just bumping me to the bottom. So, this will probably just end up a ramble.

First, I don't agree that Microsoft is giving up. The products and platform continue to evolve and incrementally get better. Is the rate of positive change fast enough? That is very debatable.

Second, is the platform where it needs to be? Good question. For what it is worth my household presently includes two 950s and a 640XL. One of the 950s was replaced due to bad pixel dead center in screen. Not a platform issue, but all three of them had some stability issues. I don't think people experiencing reboots, etc, is bad hardware. Even if Windows 10 on officially designed/supported devices such as 950 is markedly more stable than Windows 10 on older phones, it may not be stable enough if enough people are experiencing problems. I was Windows 10 Technical Preview participant before 950 release as were all of my household on devices ranging from HTC One M8, 830s, and 530. My most annoying problem now is battery life and I am convinced it is due to Windows Hello (which works pretty well, all things considered). I will pull my phone out of my pocket due to it being a little warm and discover that the red IF LED is lit solid (screen blank/off). Waking the phone with the power button will reset state and the IF LED will turn off. What if the phone is in my jacket chest pocket where I am less likely to sense subtle changes in temperature? I'll tell you what happens. My phone dies in about half a day with nearly zero use. This can be fixed with software issue. Is it in the firmware update? Don't know, haven't checked. But, its a problem we're all having at home.

Third, I'm no longer a member of TP mainly because I think I've bled enough helping test, contribute feedback, etc. Now I just want to enjoy the fruit of participation. I too am an early adopter since the Samsung Focus. I've possessed nearly every phone/ generation since then on WP. It has definitely evolved and frankly I think for the better present-remaining issues notwithstanding. Now that I've bought my first home, I am finally starting to feel the "app-gap" so many people bitched about. Home automation is harder if you have to use phone to do everything. :) We see more apps from big names coming day by day (or month by month), I just hope we reach some critical point where developers see an advantage of writing Universal apps and the floodgates open. Wishful thinking? Perhaps.

Fourth, if Windows 10 doesn't succeed I'll be disappointed. Sure. Bigtime. Why? I definitely don't care for Android. And Apple, well, it will do - but I will not relish being exactly like everyone else EVEN IF being so opens up a world of apps for me! Sigh. The cost of wanting options.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The reason Finland had a high market share for Windows Phone was no doubt because of the Nokia name. Microsoft was very clever to exploit Nokia's name recognition to push Windows Phone. Will that work out long term?

Now that the Lumia brand has changed from Nokia to Microsoft, it no longer has the clout of Nokia. Has Windows Phone made enough of an inroad to sell well on its own merits? It will also be interesting to see what happens if Nokia releases an Android phone. Will it be able to ride on its reputation of the past?

Yes of course, but thats not the point here. If you got them to visit the platform and they left out of disappointment, it will be hard to get them back. Great that its only Finland, a small country no one cares about, but the problem still exists. If someone tries or has tried WP, it lacks, it really does, the OS and the APPS. They disappoint, go back and tell everyone about the ****ty experience.

What Microsoft has on the table now, they cant get around this problem. Even IF (and its a big if because we have been waiting since WP7) they can fix the OS, they will still have the APP problem.

If you use WP, you will be a second class citizen on the app front. You a) dont have the app you want or b) it lacks features or c) iOS and Android get the new features way ahead WP.

I know this, I was with the platform for ages! WP has (or had ;)) potential, yes, but Microsoft failed to execute.

EDIT: And like someone wrote here on this page and I forgot to mention, what I love now being on Android is that Bluetooth devices actually work! I have bought Casio and Magellan watches. Its amazing to look at gadgets and know, that these will work on your device... Its totally different world than with WP.

Disclaimer: :D Im not a big fan of Android (or Google) in some aspects, but Im pointing out the problems that WP has, things that dont exist in the other 2 platforms. I know you all know these issues, I just dont think anymore that MS cant get around them. Im not a believer anymore.

Last edited:

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok. So I am attempting to reply to a specific post, but for some reason the browser (Edge) or the site is just bumping me to the bottom. So, this will probably just end up a ramble.

I hope they release other browsers to WP soon. But they probably wont, they killed the metro Firefox also, is there even others in development?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes of course, but thats not the point here. If you got them to visit the platform and they left out of disappointment, it will be hard to get them back. Great that its only Finland, a small country no one cares about, but the problem still exists. If someone tries or has tried WP, it lacks, it really does, the OS and the APPS. They disappoint, go back and tell everyone about the ****ty experience.

What Microsoft has on the table now, they cant get around this problem. Even IF (and its a big if because we have been waiting since WP7) they can fix the OS, they will still have the APP problem.

If you use WP, you will be a second class citizen on the app front. You a) dont have the app you want or b) it lacks features or c) iOS and Android get the new features way ahead WP.

I know this, I was with the platform for ages! WP has (or had ;)) potential, yes, but Microsoft failed to execute.

Yes I agree 100%. Using Nokia was a way to use a current vehicle to get Windows Phones into users' hands. The question is, will they stay after trying it? A lot of them probably weren't even really aware of what they were getting into.

I don't think that Nokia's Windows Phone "experiment" did Nokia's name any favors. I guess it remains to be seen to what extent it was affected, if Nokia does in fact release an Android phone.

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I have the dual sim. I love the phone and the platform. I'm just concerned that MS almost seems to be forgetting about us and focusing on the other platforms. I don't, however, recommend it the way I have in the past.

It seems Nadella's philosophy of Mobile First Cloud First was not limited to Windows phones and OneDrive. As a strategy, I think it's great. "If you can't beat them, join them". There's nothing wrong with that, all companies are in it for profit. In this case, MS is unfortunately overlooking the needs of its first party customer base, or so it seems. Microsoft should now choose the customer base they really want to serve, and focus on that instead of trying to make everyone happy. Even Apple put its own productivity suite on the side to give priority to MS on iOS (and also OSX?), coz they know they are in the hardware business, and are focusing on exactly that.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok. So I am attempting to reply to a specific post, but for some reason the browser (Edge) or the site is just bumping me to the bottom.

This is standard no matter what browser you use. Your post will be inserted in chronological order no matter where you click Reply.

What you want is either the Quote button or left click - drag the cursor to highlight a portion and select Quote from the pop up.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
It seems Nadella's philosophy of Mobile First Cloud First was not limited to Windows phones and OneDrive. As a strategy, I think it's great. "If you can't beat them, join them". There's nothing wrong with that, all companies are in it for profit. In this case, MS is unfortunately overlooking the needs of its first party customer base, or so it seems. Microsoft should now choose the customer base they really want to serve, and focus on that instead of trying to make everyone happy. Even Apple put its own productivity suite on the side to give priority to MS on iOS (and also OSX?), coz they know they are in the hardware business, and are focusing on exactly that.

You answered the question perfectly. Yes, Apple is in the hardware business and Microsoft have always been in software & services business. So, it is perfectly alright for Microsoft to develop software or services for every platform possible.

Also, they make tons of money from software and services. I feel it is perfect strategy to make tons of money from other OS / platforms.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
You answered the question perfectly. Yes, Apple is in the hardware business and Microsoft have always been in software & services business. So, it is perfectly alright for Microsoft to develop software or services for every platform possible.

Also, they make tons of money from software and services. I feel it is perfect strategy to make tons of money from other OS / platforms.

Okay, but what happens to Windows Mobile? I doubt it has ever made any money for MS and unlikely to do so in the future as well. Almost everything that used to be available only on Windows Phone is now available across all platforms. Sure MS will make a lot of money by putting their services across all platforms, but how is Windows Mobile going to survive without anything to differentiate it from the competition?

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes I agree 100%. Using Nokia was a way to use a current vehicle to get Windows Phones into users' hands. The question is, will they stay after trying it? A lot of them probably weren't even really aware of what they were getting into.

I don't think that Nokia's Windows Phone "experiment" did Nokia's name any favors. I guess it remains to be seen to what extent it was affected, if Nokia does in fact release an Android phone.
They might not been aware when they bought it, they though "oh the new Nokia Lumia" and got it. But they for sure knew it was that Windows Phone by the time they got rid of it. So many questions and a lot of talk why cant I get that or do this. Speaking from my experience what Ive seen around me and heard first hand.

The craziest thing to me is that this topic is exactly the same as there was around WP7, then again around WP8. Exactly the same. There would have been no need to start this topic, someone could have just bump one of those and all previous comments would have been basically valid and issues the still same. After WP was launched I think 2010? In 5+ years and these resources that they spent this platform, it should have been already way more polished. Poor management is the cause of it. Well and lack of vision also of course.

Joachim T

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
They sadly already gave up. I wanted a Lumia 950 or XL, but even Microsoft Austria was not able to give one to us for testing. I guess they did not want to, since it has now leaked that all development will be stopped for ARM based Windows. Original in Russian mobile-review dot com/articles/2016/armchair-analytics-59.shtml, Translation in German winfuture dot de/news,90746.html Most "leaks" of this website proofed to be true afterwards.

Conclusion: wait for End of 2016 and get a x86 Surface Phone. The actual Lumias will go the way of Windows RT...dead on arrival :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786