Is MS giving up?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: I'm just gonna say it, I'm disappointed in the 950, and I think Microsoft are giving up.

Really? Its a site about phones and what not. That is like going to a finance site and telling everyone to quit talking about money. What did you think you were going to be reading about when looking at these posts? "get on with your life" :p ha

I don't think Pete was trying to be condescending. I think he is just saying that the OP should really go with what would work best for him, and that it isn't worth the anguish.

Also Windows Central =/= WP Central, but you probably know that already.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
To me the 950 is the best Lumia yet that I have used. I've only been on this platform for just over 3 yrs now. It has the removable back just like my very first very short lived NL810.

Had 3 Lumia's and the 950 blows them all away as far as I am concerned. I never thought I would prefer the 950 over my old 925, but I do. It has grown on me quickly LOL 😁
I think the build quality is very good. Feels sturdy to me. So far I have not had anymore reboots in about a month and the system just seems to flow pretty smoothly.
Very contented owner of the L950.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: I'm just gonna say it, I'm disappointed in the 950, and I think Microsoft are giving up.

What you can do is just accept things and get on with your life. There's more important things in life than phones, after all.

Have a good think about why you feel you have to change phones and what's making you unhappy and try to judge just how important those details are.

What would like for us to discuss on a WINDOWS PHONE FORUM then?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
To me the 950 is the best Lumia yet that I have used. I've only been on this platform for just over 3 yrs now. It has the removable back just like my very first very short lived NL810.

Had 3 Lumia's and the 950 blows them all away as far as I am concerned. I never thought I would prefer the 950 over my old 925, but I do. It has grown on me quickly LOL 😁
I think the build quality is very good. Feels sturdy to me. So far I have not had anymore reboots in about a month and the system just seems to flow pretty smoothly.
Very contented owner of the L950.

Same here. My 950 is awesome and I have 9 Windows Phones in total.

Unfortunately, after all these years, the app situation is what has me using an iPhone 6 as my daily driver these days. Mainly, it's Microsoft's own apps that have driven me away - Microsoft's iOS apps have both quality and quantity over Windows. It's ridiculous.

...but yeah, my 950 is great.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

What you can do is just accept things and get on with your life. There's more important things in life than phones, after all.

Have a good think about why you feel you have to change phones and what's making you unhappy and try to judge just how important those details are.

Really? Its a site about phones and what not. That is like going to a finance site and telling everyone to quit talking about money. What did you think you were going to be reading about when looking at these posts? "get on with your life" :p ha

What would like for us to discuss on a WINDOWS PHONE FORUM then?

libra89 gets it:
I don't think Pete was trying to be condescending. I think he is just saying that the OP should really go with what would work best for him, and that it isn't worth the anguish.

Also Windows Central =/= WP Central, but you probably know that already.

Let me say here that this is just my personal opinion. Take it or leave it. Love it or hate it. Also note: I am not addressing any particular user or replying directly to those quoted above. The mini conversation is shown above to provide a springboard for what I am going to say. I repeat: I am NOT singling anyone out. This is a general observation.

There are a lot of posts on this board that are OCD on the topics of Windows Phone Is Dying / Windows Phone Failed / App Gap / Microsoft Is Going The Wrong Way / Fix It Now / Do It MY Way / I Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda / MICROSOFT IS MAKING ME GET AN ANDROID, iPHONE, TWO TIN CANS AND A PIECE OF STRING / Windows Phone Ran Over My Dog, Ate My Baby, Spit In My Eye And Laughed At Me While Driving Me Off A Cliff After Framing Me For Murder...

OK. Snarkiness over (no guarantees).

I left webOS and eventually settled into Android. I left Android and eventually settled into Windows Phone. I may, one day (the time is not yet), leave Windows Phone for... something. I don't see any compelling need to leave or any "greener pastures."

Check my post histories at webOS Nation and Android Central. I've not once went on a bender of posting how an OS failed me. Too many users here, IMHO, are doing just that. Post after post that reads like Tribulation. Ye and verily there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

I don't understand it. It's diametrically opposed to how I think to post repeatedly how I am "taking my ball and going home." It's not attractive. It's not a conversation. Some users don't want to talk about it, they want to talk AT the forum and lecture, blame, shame, scold...

If, in your heart, you really feel you need to move to another platform listing all the reasons why might be legitimate. (It's not my style, I just move on down the highway. But hey, some people need to justify it to themselves to get up the momentum and go.) What becomes objectionable and tiresome is spamming the board with post after post on your negative experience. I read so many posts that may as well be copy/paste. "Mae ff?n Windows demon y bydd yn ei fwyta eich enaid. Rhedeg i ffwrdd gyflym ag y gallwch."

Certainly there is room and need for constructive dialog. No one is saying there cannot be dissent and debate. What is not needed is relentless and gleeful doomsaying. What is not appreciated is standing on the sidelines cheerleading for all current users to leave the platform now so we can collectively make sure to drive the last nail into the coffin and hurry up it can't happen fast enough. I, for one, am still using and enjoying my Windows Phone.

Imagine: you are in a restaurant enjoying your meal. Or trying to. But for every diner that is seated there is a person standing in the aisles. Individually they are all stating why your meal is no good or how you need to move to another restaurant across town. It's just a huge cacophony of negativity about the meal you would otherwise enjoy without all the din.

I'm still enjoying MY meal. YMMV. You may feel you've been given ptomaine. You may feel you're providing a public service by warning one and all to push back from the plate. But in the end it's my choice. One word should suffice, then I can make up my own mind. No restaurant in the world would condone someone standing in the midst of their service expounding the negative ad nauseam.

It's not about censorship. It's about reasonable use.

I'm starting to see posts from Windows Central Users stating that they can't enjoy coming to the forum any longer because the amount of negativity is becoming the majority of what they read here. The end result of all the cheerleading is not to put people off Windows Phone, it is to make them no longer want to participate here. The name of the place is Windows Central, not Hate On Windows Central.

Absolutely it is YOUR phone and YOUR choice. Right on and power to the people. However, it is not true that YOUR choice must become MY choice and you jawing at me until I capitulate isn't really going to work.

Every user has the power to vote with their dollars. Every user has the right to use the device they most want. Every forum member has the right to enter into discussion. No users have the right to decide what device someone else uses and how they should spend their money. No forum user should be trying to disrupt the forum by spamming the same message over and over. Doesn't matter if that message is "buy bathroom tiles cheap online" or "Windows Phone ate my baby dingo."

The repetition is objectionable, not necessarily the message per se. If your goal is to have a dialog, carry on. If your goal is to convince everyone yours is the most valid opinion, never going to happen. If your goal is to create strife and warp every thread to your agenda, please don't. In fact, just knock it off.

[/diatribe]

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Awesome post, Rumored Now! Agree completely. I am one of those who have been visiting the site/forums less frequently of late due to the negativity often from the same users who just keep harping on constantly in every Windows/WM 10 sucks thread. I enjoy and really like my 950XL and Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 on my other devices. For me, it has been a lot more stable and improvement for me over my One M8 on 8.1. Others can disagree, and that is their right, but it has got carried away lately.

Last edited:

RUCKUS_US

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
Because Nadella never claimed to be MS-first. By definition in 2016, "Mobile first" means iOS then Android. MS is putting the bare minimum into W10 Mobile just for appearance sake at this point. Just looking at the quality or lack-off the first-party apps is evidence of this. Shouldn't Groove Music be excellent instead of the turd pile it is?

Groove is amazing now

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Excel on W10M is also much better than Android. There are subtle differences that the average user may not notice unless you put a Windows device side-by-side with an Android and delve into the sub-menus for formatting, etc.
Sent from my Lumia 2520 on Tapatalk

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Anyone who says Microsoft apps are better on iOS and Android haven't used Outlook or Groove on either of those platforms. OneDrive seems visually better on Android, but works better on Windows Mobile.

Outlook has been especially awful over the past few years on Android.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who says Microsoft apps are better on iOS and Android haven't used Outlook or Groove on either of those platforms. OneDrive seems visually better on Android, but works better on Windows Mobile.

Outlook has been especially awful over the past few years on Android.
I only use OneDrive for backing up pictures. It works faster on Android and backs up full resolution pictures without needing to wait for Wifi.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I only use OneDrive for backing up pictures. It works faster on Android and backs up full resolution pictures without needing to wait for Wifi.

I haven't noticed any issues on W10M at all and would prefer the 20MP files get uploaded on WiFi only. Still, my main point stands, with some of Microsoft's bigger apps, they are much worse on Android versus W10M.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site

It's not about censorship. It's about reasonable use.

Very good post by RumouredNow. I was visiting Windows Central every 2 or 3 hours per day to post here and help people. For the past one week, I have already reduced the time I spent on these forums as mostly the threads are of negative nature or most of the issues posted are already answered so many times and people don't search the forums. They just create new threads for the same issue again and again.

Here are example of repeated negativity.
WPdead1.PNG

Another windows dying thread
wpdead2.PNG

wpdead3.PNG

wpdead4.PNG

By a simple search in the forums, we can see how threads are being generated to spread negativity on the forums. However, in my mind, I have a question about this : "Is the negativity against Windows Phone or is it a conspiracy to bring down the viewership on Windows Central forums?".

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

"Is the negativity against Windows Phone or is it a conspiracy to bring down the viewership on Windows Central forums?".

Not at all.
This is just how the trends appear.

In my years on this forum the negativity is what keeps many members reading more than anything else.
The bad thing about negativity is that is wears many readers out.
For me the down trending in the forums causes a bit of withdrawal.

I've never been on a forum that was completely upbeat with happy people where everyone talks about what a nice day it was today.
Negativity is a driving force and will never go away.

As long as great intelligent discussion prevails there is nothing wrong with negativity.

constantreader16

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
That's new to Windows 10 Mobile. Windows Phone 8.1 required WiFi.

I don't remember that being the case, but it has been a while since I used WP 8.1. Regardless, having/defaulting/forcing the option to wait for WiFi isn't a bad thing. Data plans aren't always the cheap and overages can be expensive. I'd much prefer it done that way than just automatically sending massive files up over my data plan and draining battery.

Obviously it sounds like you don't prefer that, but I think there would be an overwhelming majority who wouldn't agree with you. I'm not saying you're wrong either, but I'd wager the majority has a different preference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)