What if your phone could change colour?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thinking about pushing borders and redefining phones, what if your phone back cover could change cover the way you wanted it?

I don't mean you physically changing covers like swapping shells or adding an extra one but the cover itself would change colour

The cover would have to be glass I guess where underlying colour LEDs would shine with the colour you want and diffuse that colour throughout the cover. That way you can have red or purple or green one day and then change the next day to something else.

Perfect personalisation of the device.

As an extension of the concept, there should be an app that can pick colours from the surrounding and allow you use that colour for your cover and theme. Or share colours with your friends by tapping phones or by sending through the app

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thinking about pushing borders and redefining phones, what if your phone back cover could change cover the way you wanted it?

I don't mean you physically changing covers like swapping shells or adding an extra one but the cover itself would change colour

The cover would have to be glass I guess where underlying colour LEDs would shine with the colour you want and diffuse that colour throughout the cover. That way you can have red or purple or green one day and then change the next day to something else.

Perfect personalisation of the device.

As an extension of the concept, there should be an app that can pick colours from the surrounding and allow you use that colour for your cover and theme. Or share colours with your friends by tapping phones or by sending through the app

Would be nice, however the draw backs I can see are power consumption and durability in terms of accidental drops. If those two hurdles can be over come then you would be onto something imo.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Would be nice, however the draw backs I can see are power consumption and durability in terms of accidental drops. If those two hurdles can be over come then you would be onto something imo.

Or maybe some new kind of material that changes colour but keeps the colour even without being powered.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Or maybe some new kind of material that changes colour but keeps the colour even without being powered.

E Ink has color epaper.
inkCase i6 uses BW or grayscale and looks like Glance++

YotaPhone has also grayscale back built-in.

I'd say it would be not only fancy but also very usefull :) Wasn't there a Nokia concept video where pictures flowed from one phone to another or something similar?

peixe2

Feb 9, 2016
Visit site
What about a back cover that changes color from the pressure of our hands? Like, the heat generated from our hands would actually make the color change. It could even make cool patterns. Then, a few minutes after leaving the phone, the color would go back to it's original form. I think, with some science, that would actually be possible.

I think I've seen a video where they show a car that changes color when some liquid is poured on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon