02-21-2016 05:36 AM
97 ... 234
tools
    On Android, I use a 3rd party app called Pushbullet which is also installed to my PC. When I'm at my PC, my phone's activity can open pop-ups in the corner of my screen allowing me to send and receive SMS/Whatsapp/Facebook Messenger etc, push files remotely, be alerted to phone calls and so on. It has shared copy-and-paste, so I can copy text on one device, pick up the other and paste it there. All of this happens in just a couple of clicks: very fast, very easy. This is just one of many apps that make my Android phone and PC feel more unified. Windows and Windows Phone need to be strongly bonded like this, or more so. The Start Menu is so much like a Windows Phone that for a while I wondered if MS might allow WP users to configure a second Windows button on the desktop to bring up a copy of their phone with all of its functions.

In the OS itself, I really like having three panels, with my main phone face and then a swipe to take me left to a pane of opened widgets (much like having Live Tiles), or right to a ton of app icons. If I don't like that, I can have a big scrollable app list in a panel, or fill the main pane with responsive widgets if I want, or just slim it down to one or two panes. Nova Launcher offers a huge amount of control, and the range of launchers has become a big strength for Android now. I can see why MS would like a fairly strict design language for its phones, but frankly it hasn't stopped users from making eyesores with it. Maybe they ought to open it up now for users to have as much control as they have over their home PCs. The classic Windows 10 look can still be the default and the one that gets pushed in advertising, but if it sells more phones to allow people to really control the look (and, perhaps more importantly, if it persuades other manufacturers to come out with their own distinctive Windows Phones like they do with Androids) then maybe that's to everyone's benefit.

Everyone needs to look at Drupe and think about incorporating what they've done into the phone OS instead of a dialler. The way you open it, the way it's always there everywhere you go, the way you can drag a contact onto an app icon and immediately open up a conversation with that person... it's one of the most impressive things I've seen in my short time on Android, and I think WP is uniquely well positioned to make that kind of feature fully mesh with its OS.
    02-01-2016 06:11 PM
    Yeah, you're not thinking it all the way through. Either that, or you'd be happy with rather arbitrary tile placement.
    May I be so bold as to say that MSFT have probably looked at that? It would be fine and dandy on a phablet or xl derivative, but like you, I see it as a mess with tiles. Icons, as on a desktop, would be fine, but then you lose the uniqueness of windows phone? Wouldn't you end up with something that, by another name, would just be another droid wannabe. I love the live tiles. You don't really need to stare at the screen to tap what you want. It becomes second nature. I know top right is outlook. The rest, Cortana can deal with. And she does it well. Anything else, I've got to deal with is notified by my band. Sorry for the ramble.....
    02-01-2016 07:06 PM
    ^ Obviously, you can say whatever you want, although I'm not sure how bold your statement really is. I think the horizontal start screen idea is so darn obvious that it would be far bolder to suggest that MS' hasn't yet considered (and discarded) it.
    02-02-2016 04:47 AM
    My list may or may not be including features unique to Android. These are just the very basic features a competitive OS must have.

1. Default apps.
    2. Installing both legit and patched APPX files from the File Explorer with a progress dialogue.
    3. Open source at least the start screen, action center, volume bar and navigation bar.
    4. Customizable keyboard skin.
    5. Animated widgets on lock screen and start screen.
    6. Option to switch between vertical scrolling start screen or horizontal (like pages on Android).
    7. Power menu with Restart option when holding Power button.
    8. YouTube.
    9. Brightness slider.
    10. Alarm volume.
    11. Open apps directly from lock screen like camera and Groove.
    12. More features in Action center like download/update progress with percentage, Groove (media) control.
    13. Native font support.
    14. Offline (SD card/external storage) phone backup.
    15. Defer updates.
    Last edited by Deepak_HK; 02-02-2016 at 09:21 AM.
    Guytronic likes this.
    02-02-2016 05:08 AM
    ^ Obviously, you can say whatever you want, although I'm not sure how bold your statement really is. I think the horizontal start screen idea is so darn obvious that it would be far bolder to suggest that MS' hasn't yet considered (and discarded) it.
    I was concurring with you ;) I agreed with what you said, but it would be short sighted by MSFT if they hadn't looked at it. Oh, hang on, it's MSFT we are talking about here isn't it :D
    a5cent likes this.
    02-02-2016 05:34 AM
    The ability to stream network / home group video on the windows phone.
    02-02-2016 06:00 AM
    once I asked that question and they told me to use cloud! lol
    you must use android if you want to join same homegroup with windows pc! that's apsurd!
    can't wait for my new android phone. I'm sick of browsing with ie and edge. viber is unusable on wp....
    02-02-2016 11:33 AM
    There is absolutely NOTHING from Android I want infesting my Windows Phone. Never, ever.
    02-02-2016 05:24 PM
    There is absolutely NOTHING from Android I want infesting my Windows Phone. Never, ever.
    ^ should we also get rid of text, pictures, on screen buttons, status bar symbols, the on-screen keyboard, the ability to ring when we are called? 😁
    98% of what makes a smartphone is shared by iOS, Android and WM.
    It would probably be far more productive to list the things we explicitly don't want and assume we want everything else.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    02-03-2016 01:06 AM
    ^ should we also get rid of text, pictures, on screen buttons, status bar symbols, the on-screen keyboard, the ability to ring when we are called? 
    98% of what makes a smartphone is shared by iOS, Android and WM.
    It would probably be far more productive to list the things we explicitly don't want and assume we want everything else.
    You might be interested in this podcast. Many of the features we know and love in Android and Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile have their origins in webOS.
    a5cent and Guytronic like this.
    02-03-2016 01:24 AM
    The ability to stream network / home group video on the windows phone.
    Plex works great. Tversity and Moliplayer combo also good. Serviio is another media server that allows folder restrictions.
    Last edited by TechAbstract; 02-07-2016 at 04:29 PM.
    a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-03-2016 10:26 PM
    I want to see no android features, that is why i use a windows phone.
    02-06-2016 10:05 AM
    To be able to change messaging app, so third party available and Swiftkey.
    02-06-2016 10:15 AM
    I am tired of downloading an app that permanently changes a network setting and having to reset my device to fix the issue.
    Wait, what?
    Whatever those apps are, you probably want to stop downloading them.
    02-11-2016 11:10 PM
    After using Android for awhile three things that I would greatly miss if I switched back are:
    1) Ability to run apps in the background. This was always really annoying when I would fill out form data in IE/Edge. I would switch to another app to read information, switch back and it would refresh the page deleting all my precious entered data.
    2) Speaking of form data, I really like how Chrome integrates much more seemlessly across devices (shared bookmarks, form data, passwords, etc). I really like the ability chrome has to enter all of my form data for me. It makes Edge feel so 2000s when I have to type in all that dumb information over and over.
    3) Clip board. I remember back when Mango brought the ability to copy and paste and made me feel like I had a real phone. My android phone has a clipboard that lets me cycle through multiple copy and pastes.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-15-2016 03:49 PM
    Locking the home screen so that tiles can't be bumped and moved or removed accidently.
    I know this isn't native to Android.
    I'd like this as a feature on WM however.
    a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-15-2016 03:54 PM
    Locking the home screen so that tiles can't be bumped and moved or removed accidently.
    I know this isn't native to Android.
    I'd like this as a feature on WM however.
    Nova Launcher has that feature.
    Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    02-15-2016 07:45 PM
    Facebook messenger calling.
    Facebook messenger logout option.
    Background download with status in notification bar.
    There should be manual installation of apps from SD card like WP8.1 .
    I want just these features...
    Laura Knotek and damonator98 like this.
    02-15-2016 08:30 PM
    When we talking about features, do we mean certain features the android os has and the windows ecosystem doesn't, cause I notice some people are taking about app specific functions instead which really chimes back to developer updating the windows mobile app
    a5cent and libra89 like this.
    02-15-2016 09:02 PM
    When we talking about features, do we mean certain features the android os has and the windows ecosystem doesn't, cause I notice some people are taking about app specific functions instead which really chimes back to developer updating the windows mobile app

Ok in case if you don't want to talk about apps then in windows phone i need just background downloading in edge after lock screen.
    I want my phone totally switch off during charging. When i charge my phone automatically switch on. I don't like.
    But overall i love window 10. Just apps that I need.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-17-2016 08:50 PM
    The Android OS builds a universal music library of all Music and Playlists.
    When inserting a SD card, this automatically refreshes, and the apps can leverage that data.

On Windows Mobile this doesnt seem to be the case, as each music app i tested built its own library, and Groove simply stops building its library before finishing.
    02-18-2016 12:23 PM
    Originaly we were talking about os features, but since specific app features still belong to certain os (yes, it depends solely on developers), but now the discusion seems to be sligtly turning "what i can in android and can't in wp" way. If apps getting regular updates can be counted as Android feature I desperately want it in WM. :D
    02-21-2016 05:36 AM
97 ... 234