What android features would you like to see in WM10?

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Today I was playing with old nexus 4 running android 5.1. While wp 8.1 is still far superior(general experience, not apps) for me I thought for myself that at least few features would look great in my lumia and would make using the phone easier. For example, little download indicator icon on top and download progress bar in action center. Also, maybe I'm sick, but messenger chatheads were acctually useful for me and since wm10 has already adopted circles... Other thing is region/language support, which is well accomplished by google, since there are things like auto correct, flow keyboard and predictions that work with my language (lithuanian) while wp offers nothing similar. One thing that bothers me as a teenager is lack off gif support in messenger, but that's a flaw of an app, not the os, therefore it doesn't count. These are not major things, but nice touches I'd like to see in wm10 after a brief meet with android. These are my thoughts. What about you ? Does wm need anything at all or is it perfect ?

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: What android features you'd like to see in WM10 ?

Yup, a centralized download manager is something I've wanted/expected for years now. :unhappysweat:

Its primary purpose would be to manage downloads on behalf of all installed apps (browser, podcast clients, OS app downloads, everything), so all downloads could occur in the background, while providing us with a single UI (integrated into the action center) from where we could interact with the download queue (check download progress, download order, and allow downloads to be cancelled, paused and resumed). That should also be the only way to download files, so devs can't screw things up or circumvent it.

That we still haven't got anything like this in W10M is a crying shame.

I'd also change a couple dozen other things, but that's one of the big ones.

Last edited:

Vic Nair

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site

USB OTG function in WM10 would be a great addition

Transferring files, audio, movies, pictures, etc from and to the phone would be a breeze if the WM10 had the USB OTG feature.

purefire21

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

I'm on wp 10 Nokia 1520 and when I download anything from of the web there is a download indicator with % going on in the background

Nokia5110

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site

USB mobile data tethering

Contacts - saving and using from the Sim Card or phone

Date format in emails - should have YEAR!

Ability to continue downloading after the screen times out.

USB on the go

Ability for a browser to transfer a map to navigating app

Translation in the browser

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm on wp 10 Nokia 1520 and when I download anything from of the web there is a download indicator with % going on in the background

I suspect you're talking about Edge.

Edge is just one app. Every other app has it's own way of downloading files.

The fact that every app must reinvent its own download solution, many of which turn out to be fragile without the ability to download in the background, isn't acceptable.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

More browser choices such as Firefox and Chrome. Adblock extensions in browsers.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

^ Adblock and password managers. I can't do without them anymore. Firefox has now replaced IE and Edge for me as a result... everywhere except on W10M... clock is ticking on that front too.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

OTG is a big one for me.
Deeper file access would be nice too.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

OTG is a big one for me.

I'm so used to OTG on Android that I wouldn't know how to operate without it. I take it for granted. Flash drive, mouse/keyboard, USB headset... pretty much anything except printers. Plug it in and it just works.

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site

USB OTG work without problems on Lumia 950.

Windows 10m knows OTG, but that needs to be paired with each device FW since OTG I think has a HW part too.

So for older phones that are on w10 insider, probably you'll gain access to OtG once the official update comes (together with FW for your device) as long as the device supports it.

Sent from mTalk

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site

I'm not quite sure if there's task manager in wm10, cause I haven't noticed anything like it when I tried insider preview last time, but such thing would be useful for me.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

I'm not quite sure if there's task manager in wm10, cause I haven't noticed anything like it when I tried insider preview last time, but such thing would be useful for me.

There's a task manager app which is pretty thorough.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

USB OTG function in WM10 would be a great addition

Transferring files, audio, movies, pictures, etc from and to the phone would be a breeze if the WM10 had the USB OTG feature.

It does. On devices that have the appropriate hardware. Like the 950.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Yup, a centralized download manager is something I've wanted/expected for years now. :unhappysweat:

Its primary purpose would be to manage downloads on behalf of all installed apps (browser, podcast clients, OS app downloads, everything), so all downloads could occur in the background, while providing us with a single UI (integrated into the action center) from where we could interact with the download queue (check download progress, download order, and allow downloads to be cancelled, paused and resumed). That should also be the only way to download files, so devs can't screw things up or circumvent it.

That we still haven't got anything like this in W10M is a crying shame.

I'd also change a couple dozen other things, but that's one of the big ones.

I know I am not a programmer, but to me your request would really pressure the OS. Let me see if I can explain.

We all know Microsoft OS is a very light OS that can easily run smoothly nearly on all low end devices. Now, what I had notice is that whenever you open an app, the current one your using get top priority and it literally pauses any background app (downloading) to give the current app best performance (priority).

Now with a download manager that shows download progress that allows to cancel, resume and see progress of all apps that are downloading would actually have all "background apps that are downloading" been given priority.

In my belief, this will actually slow down the phone, allow background apps to pressure the device (causes overheating), and any other minor issues that will become annoying in the future. I agree that I would love to see download progress and notification that download is completed, but I think this one can be overlooked based on the reason why its actually not there.

There are many things I wish Microsoft OS have, just as the other OS, but I also have to admit that its not there for a reason some plausible reason. I just wish they hurry up with getting more apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb