What android features would you like to see in WM10?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: What android features you'd like to see in WM10 ?

Pattern/Picture Password - why MS didn't port this feature in 8.1 I'll never know.

App list filtering - in WP7-8 we had a nice clean app list with no games. They were appropriately in the Games hub. In 8.1 all of our games were dumped into the app list with no ability to filter them out. Same thing with W10. Good job, MS.

The ability to charge phone without turning it on - something my lowly Android phone from 2011 could do.

Download manager - sure

USB OTG - why not

Animated wallpapers - meh

Firefox, Chrome - whatever

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

Pattern/Picture Password - why MS didn't port this feature in 8.1 I'll never know.

App list filtering - in WP7-8 we had a nice clean app list with no games. They were appropriately in the Games hub. In 8.1 all of our games were dumped into the app list with no ability to filter them out. Same thing with W10. Good job, MS.

The ability to charge phone without turning it on - something my lowly Android phone from 2011 could do.

Download manager - sure

USB OTG - why not

Animated wallpapers - meh

Firefox, Chrome - whatever

The ability to charge phone without turning would be priceless!

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

- STOP button for music, very simple thing yet it never arrived since WP7 (I'm sure 10 doesn't have it too)

- Idk if Android has this (never had phone with that OS), but I want to save entire WhatsApp conversation with one person that goes back to 03/2014, but WhatsApp doesn't save "that much" for email. It has 5mb limit on .txt file

Walid Ali

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site

- Download Manager (download files in background) no worries of quitting an app and it stops downloading

- Multitasking, browsers loading pages in background while doing something else (connection is slow in my area)

- save any file received via Bluetooth. (its my phone i decide what file i should receive and keep/not)

- Password protect apps

- open with menu

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I had notice is that whenever you open an app, the current one your using get top priority and it literally pauses any background app (downloading) to give the current app best performance (priority).
Now with a download manager that shows download progress that allows to cancel, resume and see progress of all apps that are downloading would actually have all "background apps that are downloading" been given priority.
In my belief, this will actually slow down the phone, allow background apps to pressure the device (causes overheating), and any other minor issues that will become annoying in the future.
I am a software engineer and I can assure you that you're unnecessarily concerned.

First, realize that W10M can technically already download anything in the background. That capability would not exist at all if your concerns were valid.

It's not that your concerns are purely imaginary or wrong, but that they have long been solved. They are addressed by the OS never downloading more than a few files simultaneously, and by throttling bandwidth if downloading threatens to oversaturate a system that is already too busy handling other foreground tasks. These mechanisms are already in place.

There are really only two differences between what I proposed and what W10M can already do:

a) the addition of a central and OS-provided UI, designed to help manage non-streamed file downloads (every app is currently required to roll it's own solution or omit it entirely).

b) forcing devs towards using the background download capability as the default approach for transferring files.

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I would word this the opposite way, What windows phone features would you like to see in android.

1. Smooth OS flow. no jittering, jumping etc.
2. Overall OS stability
3. Better devices (NOKIA/Microsoft) phones are way ahead design and build wise compared to Most every android offering.
4. Very little OS fragmentation. This makes the overall system work much better.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

I would word this the opposite way, What windows phone features would you like to see in android.

1. Smooth OS flow. no jittering, jumping etc.
2. Overall OS stability
3. Better devices (NOKIA/Microsoft) phones are way ahead design and build wise compared to Most every android offering.
4. Very little OS fragmentation. This makes the overall system work much better.
This :)Only nexus devices are smooth but nexus devices are also the most boring of android.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

What Android feature would I like most in Windows 10 Mobile? App Parity!

Sorry I just couldn't resist :grin:

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

In response to original post:

1) ability to do more in the background
2) better clip board
3) IR remote
4) ability of the browser to display all of the internet, not just some parts
5) unlimited windows (not just 7)

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

YES! I have a L640 that I won't even plug in that is kind of a back up/work out phone. I don't want it to have alarms go off or alerts when I'm not using it, so I turn it off and switch to my other phone. I can't plug it in, so its battery dies...so now I just don't use it.

v535

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site

I know I am not a programmer, but to me your request would really pressure the OS. Let me see if I can explain.

We all know Microsoft OS is a very light OS that can easily run smoothly nearly on all low end devices. Now, what I had notice is that whenever you open an app, the current one your using get top priority and it literally pauses any background app (downloading) to give the current app best performance (priority).

Now with a download manager that shows download progress that allows to cancel, resume and see progress of all apps that are downloading would actually have all "background apps that are downloading" been given priority.

In my belief, this will actually slow down the phone, allow background apps to pressure the device (causes overheating), and any other minor issues that will become annoying in the future. I agree that I would love to see download progress and notification that download is completed, but I think this one can be overlooked based on the reason why its actually not there.

There are many things I wish Microsoft OS have, just as the other OS, but I also have to admit that its not there for a reason some plausible reason. I just wish they hurry up with getting more apps.
Why not have a centralized background manager that can go into background like store app displayed in battery saver app.

Bokisa4444

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site

Swiftkey definitely. Nothing can compare to swiftkey. I dont care how good is wm 10 keyborad, this one is far better. Allows more customatization, and better prediction.

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site

OS wide draggable scroll bar. on android you can simply drag the scroll bar to scroll down or up quickly. but there is no easy way to do so on windows phone except flicking the finger like a mad especially on a long webpage or onenote pages.

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site

Proper rendering of HTML emails in Mail app!!!!!!

Ability to dismiss an upcoming alarm. In Android (at least in stock Android), I can dismiss a upcoming instance of a repeating alarm without having to go into the alarm settings and turning the whole alarm off. It shows up as a notification where I can easily dismiss it. In Windows, I have to turn off the whole alarm, wait until the set alarm time passes, and go back turn it on again for the next day...

Some sort of ad blocking for the browser. Seriously... I use firefox with ublock origin on Android. Most websites don't even load properly because some stupid ad is hogging all the bandwidth... or it is some obnoxious ad that blocks out the page until you scroll it away...

An equivalent of the s pen, s note and the other awesome s pen related features that Samsung packs into the Note would be wonderful. Being able to hand write messages, annotate/sketch things, smart select, screen off memo (especially this!!! I use it all the time!), action notes, scroll capture, sign pdfs, photo notes, etc.

Ability to peek into notifications and dismiss them without waking device. Like Motorola's Moto Display, NOT stock Android's ambient display.

Multitasking with multi window similar to what Samsung has implemented. Pretty useful sometimes.

Since there are no widgets, larger tile sizes. I could use a larger tile for the calendar app so that I can see more of my upcoming meetings.

Something like Motorola's chop to flash would be cool so that you don't have to wake the phone and pull down the notification to turn on the flashlight. Just activate with a gesture, even with the phone in deep sleep.

I like the V10's camera UI and manual controls better than the Microsoft Camera app.

I don't know if this is software related or hardware related. Every windows phone I have used (635, 640, 640 XL, 950 XL), it feels like the interface is located farther back from the physical screen. Every time I press something with the same amount of force I use on all of my Android devices, it usually doesn't register. I have to press again, harder than I am used to. Slows things down for me.

Some smartwatch stuff:

An actual smartwatch equivalent, NOT a fitness focused band with a few bare bones notifications thrown in...

Better smartwatch feature support. For instance, on my Huawei watch, when I watch a video or listen to a song on my phone, I see media controls that pop up automatically on my watch. I can control it easily. When my phone goes into do not disturb mode, my watch also goes into do not disturb mode. Dismissing notifications on the watch will dismiss notifications on the phone. Automatic voice search. On Android wear, when the watch is activated by simply tilting it to your face, you can immediately initiate a voice command with Google Now, no need to press any buttons. Makes it feel a bit more natural.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site

Ability to extract/export *both* sides of SMS conversations. It's been a while since I last checked (moved on Android:Vzw user) but you could only pull out your side of the conversation using some tricks with OneDrive. And that was even hit or miss.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

I am a software engineer and I can assure you that you're unnecessarily concerned.
thanks for the clarification, but as I said before... "I know I am not a programmer, but to me your request would really pressure the OS. Let me see if I can explain."

I should have started my explanation with "I believe", but thanks anyways...:cool:

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site

So basically you guys want windows phone to be android.
There is very little difference between the 2 anymore, they both have their frustrating quirks, functionality has nearly leveled out for me.
I expect Win 10 (950XL) will smooth out soon and my early adoption headaches will go away.

I want my Android to have Glance screen, and take photo quality pictures.
I want my Windows Phone to use "Live wallpaper"

I prefer the way Google Play store is laid out vs MS store. (Not talking app gap, though that is an issue too)

I can control my Android volume while streaming music over BT, without waking the device. I want to control my WP volume without having to press the power button first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss