What android features would you like to see in WM10?

Jeremy McKay

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: What android features you'd like to see in WM10 ?

What android feature would I like to see in WM10?

Stability of the OS

Wait,
that wasn't in android.

I can still dream. It might make it to WM10.

dajma00

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

There are small things MS can do in W10 mobile and it just beats me why those are not done. For example, long pressing a contact should give me an option send contact info to recently used contacts. Is that difficult to do? Android had this years ago.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site

3rd party text messanger apps would be great.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

There is very little difference between the 2 anymore, they both have their frustrating quirks, functionality has nearly leveled out for me.
I expect Win 10 (950XL) will smooth out soon and my early adoption headaches will go away.

I want my Android to have Glance screen, and take photo quality pictures.
I want my Windows Phone to use "Live wallpaper"

I prefer the way Google Play store is laid out vs MS store. (Not talking app gap, though that is an issue too)

I can control my Android volume while streaming music over BT, without waking the device. I want to control my WP volume without having to press the power button first.
I see a big difference. My phone actually gets updated and it's not google.

All these ssuggestions literally are trying to take whatever is still unique that is windows 10 and making it into the mess that is android OS.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site

- STOP button for music, very simple thing yet it never arrived since WP7 (I'm sure 10 doesn't have it too)

I have used this since 8.1. There is an app called System Tiles, hope it still works on w10m, but it allows you to make new live tiles on the start menu, STOP all music is one of them. You simply color it as you want, pin in to start and it works. I mainly used it in 8.1 because the music didn't always stop in the background when you closed an app, same with internet radio.

Hope this helps

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I see a big difference. My phone actually gets updated and it's not google.
All these suggestions literally are trying to take whatever is still unique that is windows 10 and making it into the mess that is android OS.
IMHO not a single one of these suggestions would make WM devices harder to update, or result in Google "taking over", so which suggestions do you see that would make WM more like Android?

I'd say many of the changes MS could have made to make WM more like Android have already been made. Sacrificing some of the things that were good about WP's UI (which was a real differentiator), is an example of how WP became more like Android. It must impact a differentiator to have that affect however. Just adding features doesn't have that affect, or at least not necessarily.

WM still has a few remaining differentiators, but they are under-the-hood things most consumers either don't care about or don't understand (updatability, unrestricted multitasking, security, privacy, average cost of ownership). None of the suggestions here impact any of those remaining differentiators. As long as those differentiators remain, adopting features doesn't necessarily make WM more like Android.

Last edited:

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site

All these ssuggestions literally are trying to take whatever is still unique that is windows 10 and making it into the mess that is android OS.
I don't agree with you. Lack of specific features and apps doesn't make os unique, it makes os deterring. However design of UI may change a lot, worst thing is that MS acctually took this step and made me think about android... In my opinion UI mainly has to be left alone and features have to be added, a lot of them, we have waited for too long.

damonator98

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Also, that thing about mess... WM10 already IS a mess, just look at that squares+circles thing. Circles are Android stuff. And those circles with letters in contacts app are just *sigh*... I was used to write a message and the press a button below, now that's not possible also, I have to use arrow stolen from android.

salazka

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Absolutely no Android feature. I'd like to have the old Windows Phone 8.0 features back.

anon(5346951)

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site

Mainly apps. Snapchat, HSBC, Sky Go, updated LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.

And never thought I'd be saying this but also stability and speed.

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

So basically you guys want windows phone to be android.

No, not really. I mean, I like Android and Windows Mobile pretty equally, and I use both OS a lot, but there are some quirks of Android that I can do without, like how messy the internal storage gets after a while. Or installing apps to the SD card never seems to work right (I have a Galaxy Tab 4). OTOH, my Lumia's storage stays perfectly neat, and installing apps to the SD card work flawlessly. That said, sometimes I just wished that my Lumia had the certain features of Android that I do like, such as the ability to set default apps or actionable widgets. The thing I miss the most after switching from an Android phone to my Lumia was the calendar and email widgets.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Just heard on the News this morning, Chase bank is coming out with a way to use the smart phone on ATMs to with drawl money, manage you can do other functions too. Chase already
took there app from the Windows phone. Also at grocery stores smart phones can be used for
paying the bill,, but not for Windows phones. There are workout apps on the smart phones that
a band is not necessary, not the Windows phone. TV channels have apps, but not for Windows phones.
I have 2 Windows 10 test phones, and 1 Windows 8.1, and 1 Windows 7 phone, I would hate to
have to buy an android phone so I can do a lot of the things mentioned.

Wickter01

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
On all devices I would love to see a reset network settings option. I am tired of downloading an app that permanently changes a network setting and having to reset my device to fix the issue.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Now you can chose highest speed in settings. But if your phone starts using 2g network it means 3g connection is not available or very bad at the certain area, doesn't it ?

No its not.....if I do this in an android device with same sim at same place...it works fine....and always shows full network reception.....there is some problem with network reception with Lumias...even when in build 10166 , we used to have this settings...it used to be fine.....but they screwed me by removing it...i really don't get the reason for its removal....doesn't it always good to have options?

mkKozak

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
- Setting volume separately for Notifications, Alarms, System sounds, Apps
- Landscape Start screen
- More configurable start screen and lock screen
- Reversible notification area
- Charging while phone is off
- Alarms doing their job while phone is off
That's it.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Memory bleed, a new device being old hat after 3 months and Samsung dropping updates after a year!

Seriously.....'ROOT' capabilities

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett