Why Microsoft Doesn't Get it.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This isn't really the board for this thread, I don't think. There's some truth, I agree that the ignorance of the employees is bothersome. At the same time, if MS pushed too hard on that, they'd run out of employees. If their products aren't compelling to the employees, forcing them to dump their iPhones might just force the employees out the door, then you've paired uninformed with understaffed. That doesn't improve things. They SHOULD be handing out work devices though. Every employee should have a WP/W10M device to use while at work. Pop out the iPhone sim, put it in the Lumia, use it for work so you're not embarrassing your employer in the store. It's hard to put forth such a thing with a product like the Band, but I'd imagine that if I went to most MS stores and started chatting up the employees, I'd find that they don't know much beyond the generalities of Windows. That's on MS to train them better, as well as vet their candidates better.

Honestly, I've long gone into places like Best Buy, AT&T, MS Stores, and the like, and considered just getting a job there because it's almost embarrassing to have to go in and sometimes educate the employees. Then I remember that the employees are rarely there long-term or given good training, and remember it's just the reality of minimum-wage employment and hiring people without other job prospects at the time (read: high school students and college folks on break). I guess that's my anecdotal way to say you're sort of right, but also expecting a bit too much from retail workers.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
While at work yes, employees should use their employer brand of phone, at work. As for Belfiore, the fact that he was using an iphone proves that he does not trust a windows phone to be it's device in his long trip with his family. He is not working, he is in his private time so the thing with using competition's platform to learn goods and bads does not fit here, sorry, who ever believed it...well you know how these kind of people are called. In his private free time he is allowed to use what ever he wants so he is using what he considers to be the best for him.
How blind can anyone be to actually believe what he said??

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
The problem is the mindset. The mindset coming from very high in the Microsoft hierachy of not being fully convinced users of MS products. Belfiore is an icon for many employees.

Nadella has some big work in front of him....wait....what is his mindset? I woulnd't be surprised if he doesn't use a W10M mobile privately.
Even he would have noticed enough issues and would have prevented to go live with them....

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Having used WebOs on the HP TouchPad, I am sure he did love the Pre. Smooth, clean and intuitive, all the things I hear from IPhone users. Alas, HP lost their way also and killed a really nice tablet. Still using it as a Android tablet, and it holds it's own.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the mindset. The mindset coming from very high in the Microsoft hierachy of not being fully convinced users of MS products. Belfiore is an icon for many employees.

Nadella has some big work in front of him....wait....what is his mindset? I woulnd't be surprised if he doesn't use a W10M mobile privately.
Even he would have noticed enough issues and would have prevented to go live with them....

You don't know this, even if it happens to be true. Joe Belfiore might trust the heck out of the platform and love it. However, he might also need to use software that isn't on the platform. That he uses an app isn't a statement against the OS beyond the fact it doesn't have that app.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
This, this right here is the truth

That may be a good point. I wonder if they don't really care about the US as it's a lost market, but it would be nice if they told us that in some way so we don't have our hopes up. All you seen in the press is lumia prices falling in the UK, etc... so you have a valid point.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
You can be certain of one thing, if you go into an Apple store EVERY employee is the store uses an iphone.

That's because most of the people in the world have iPhones. The analogy stands true for the following also : "If you go into a toilet also, you find every one using iPhone"

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
That's because most of the people in the world have iPhones. The analogy stands true for the following also : "If you go into a toilet also, you find every one using iPhone"
There are more Android phones on the planet than iphones. "Most" of the people in the world do not have iphones.

jason10mm

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
You can be certain of one thing, if you go into an Apple store EVERY employee is the store uses an iphone.

But is this because they are Apple fans, get the phone at a discount so they just naturally choose iphones, or are REQUIRED to use it regardless of what they use before coming to work?

But yeah, pretty easy to see apple being able to maintain a very strong apple presence amongst employees, though I bet virtually all of the IT guys at least have a PC at home :)

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
But yeah, pretty easy to see apple being able to maintain a very strong apple presence amongst employees, though I bet virtually all of the IT guys at least have a PC at home :)

You mean they all likely have a Mac running boot camp or parallels Windows.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
lumia 950 price has dropped a lot in many countries and it's been on sale for a short period only. from this the value of it: low because of the OS

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
That's ATT Stores which sells mobiles for many different platforms, you'd expect such given WP marketshare , if it was MSFT Store that would be shocking.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I have been to many ATT stores, and today I went to the local MSFT store. The employees don't know a thing about any MSFT products. ATT has had exclusives on Lumias for years, but MSFT doesn't enforce product knowledge. What a shame.

What is inexcusable is going to MSFT store and not one person there knows the products. Examples...

Me, "What phone do you guys use, I love the 950XL...Answers, were I have an M9 and an iPhone, or I have an android phone"

Me, "Do you guys have someone who knows about the MSFT band...10 minutes later one guy out of 10 has one, and doesn't know anything about it and uses his iPhone with it"

It should be mandatory that all employees use the full MSFT stack of hardware!

Uh ya, ok. You know that if you go to a Ford plant you'll see more than just Ford brand cars right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel