Why Microsoft Doesn't Get it.

Jabadaw

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I work at a MS partner writing code during the day and work for Best Buy in the Geek Squad at night. We run the full MS stack in my house other than the kids who run Galaxy S6s (if they wanted iPhones they could find somewhere else to live). We have a home built Windows Home Server, home built HTPC running Windows 7, Xbox One on the main TV, Xbox 360s on all of the rest in the house as Media Center extenders, 3 windows 10 laptops, a Surface Pro, two gaming desktops, and two Lumia 928s (waiting on Verizon to wake up). I use my personal setup when recommending products or solutions at Best Buy. The lack of any great windows phone on Verizon makes it tough as Verizon has the best reception in our area by a large margin.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just simply put the boss of android uses a android phone

The boss of apple uses iphone, iPad and mac.

Boss of Microsoft uses????..... At most probably a windows pc but I'd say that's about all. As daily drivers.

khalilis2ill

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I was a temp at the Microsoft store here in San Diego, they give all the employees new phones , surfaces (latest and greatest) and in certain cases laptops and Xboxes. Some of the guys I worked with even had the opportunity to have early release units of the Xbox One. There were people that didn't use Windows phone but you would just check one out at the start of your shift.

Bryan Leon

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
This still boils down to the fact that MSFT is awful at getting carrier support. Why would a MS employee go for AT&T if they like Verizon? I have a friend who works for Apple and they get HUGE discounts on their products. I hope it's the same with MS, but if this post is true, it doesn't seem like it.

THMath

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Most of the people in the world have iPhones?
Oh, no, they do not! It is very expensive and not many people can pay that much for a phone. The only country where lots of people really have iPhones is the US.
The rest have Samsung. They might want iPhones, but what they really use is Samsung.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually the rest dont have Samsungs The once three big (Samsung/LG/Sonys) are taking a huge hit with the deluge of cheap chinese high-specs androids. That's where the battle is.
The W10M path has narrow down to being a niche market. It has always felt that way in the past as it is presently.

anon(185988)

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
MS needs to lower their prices. Seriously, they don't have the ecosystem to compete, and compared to android offerings, you get more for your money hardware wise in most cases. The 950XL is a good start though.

RagingTyga

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I'd kind of like to call you out on that. full disclaimer, I'm am MS Store employee. I have a Microsoft Lumia 640XL, before that a 640, before that, a Blue Win HD (the original, not the revised LTE model :) ) before that a 635, before that a 925, before that an 8X, and before that a 900, which I owned BEFORE BECOMING an MS Store employee in the first place (worked as a tech at staples before). This should more than prove I am adamantly opposed to owning anything other than a winphone as my primary phone, ever. I love the phone, I love the platform, period. I also own an Xbox One which was the first and only Xbox I've ever owned, and an Acer Switch 11 running windows 10, and when you say we have a weak ecosystem, I feel like asking you what you're smoking. When I set an alarm, it synchronizes across all my devices. I check same 6 news/auto/tech blogs every day, and the history and articles are on my phone through Edge, and on the computer, and now on the Xbox. When I get a friend invite, I see it on my phone, my xbox, and my PC. My Work goes with me wherever I am, which is now accessible on all those 3 devices. Part of the reason I went from being a die-hard sony guy who bought their stuff ON RELEASE DAY to XBOX One was because it utterly destroys a PS4 as an gaming and entertainment system. When I wake up, I don't reach for a remote, I speak, the damn thing turns on, I see my news, I check my messages, I watch a show or two and I'm off to start my day, again, telling it to turn off, I also work out using it as well. Now with windows 10, if I'm on my PC, like...right now, and I get a Xbox message, I can see it and respond here. When the girlfriend wants to Netflix and I want to play xbox, I switch the TV over to a Roku stick I own, and remote to my Xbox from my PC, and game on. If there's something on here I want to watch on the xbox, but there isn't an app to do it, well, I simply cast it from my PC (like say...the presidential debates), to my Xbox, problem solved, so it utterly destroyed anything like an apple TV. I promise you I'm not unique, I've worked at 5 of our stores, yes some of use different devices that are non-MS, but this idea that "we don't know anything" about our products is ridiculous. We get asked ANYTHING and EVERYTHING about our products, and often we get people who just want to challenge and almost "quiz" us on things it isn't necessary to know but expect us to because if we can't answer that question, we don't know about our products "how many physical cores is in the processor of the Surface Book, what is the exact GPU, what range can I get from the antenna?" (btw, 2 core physical, 4 logical though hyperthreading, It doesn't have an official, because it's custom, however benchmarks slot it between a 940m and a 960 gtx, 802.11ac depending on the access points and signal strength, 100-200ft)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'd kind of like to call you out on that. full disclaimer, I'm am MS Store employee. I have a Microsoft Lumia 640XL, before that a 640, before that, a Blue Win HD (the original, not the revised LTE model :) ) before that a 635, before that a 925, before that an 8X, and before that a 900, which I owned BEFORE BECOMING an MS Store employee in the first place (worked as a tech at staples before). This should more than prove I am adamantly opposed to owning anything other than a winphone as my primary phone, ever. I love the phone, I love the platform, period. I also own an Xbox One which was the first and only Xbox I've ever owned, and an Acer Switch 11 running windows 10, and when you say we have a weak ecosystem, I feel like asking you what you're smoking. When I set an alarm, it synchronizes across all my devices. I check same 6 news/auto/tech blogs every day, and the history and articles are on my phone through Edge, and on the computer, and now on the Xbox. When I get a friend invite, I see it on my phone, my xbox, and my PC. My Work goes with me wherever I am, which is now accessible on all those 3 devices. Part of the reason I went from being a die-hard sony guy who bought their stuff ON RELEASE DAY to XBOX One was because it utterly destroys a PS4 as an gaming and entertainment system. When I wake up, I don't reach for a remote, I speak, the damn thing turns on, I see my news, I check my messages, I watch a show or two and I'm off to start my day, again, telling it to turn off, I also work out using it as well. Now with windows 10, if I'm on my PC, like...right now, and I get a Xbox message, I can see it and respond here. When the girlfriend wants to Netflix and I want to play xbox, I switch the TV over to a Roku stick I own, and remote to my Xbox from my PC, and game on. If there's something on here I want to watch on the xbox, but there isn't an app to do it, well, I simply cast it from my PC (like say...the presidential debates), to my Xbox, problem solved, so it utterly destroyed anything like an apple TV. I promise you I'm not unique, I've worked at 5 of our stores, yes some of use different devices that are non-MS, but this idea that "we don't know anything" about our products is ridiculous. We get asked ANYTHING and EVERYTHING about our products, and often we get people who just want to challenge and almost "quiz" us on things it isn't necessary to know but expect us to because if we can't answer that question, we don't know about our products "how many physical cores is in the processor of the Surface Book, what is the exact GPU, what range can I get from the antenna?" (btw, 2 core physical, 4 logical though hyperthreading, It doesn't have an official, because it's custom, however benchmarks slot it between a 940m and a 960 gtx, 802.11ac depending on the access points and signal strength, 100-200ft)

Long story here, but one fact is for sure. windows 10 mobile is still a hot mess. If you, Ms employees refuse to see this, and accept the horrible state that it is in now, how can we, users, expect MS to fix anything.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Well, I think that its you who don't get it. What is wrong in employees having a different device? I have seen employees of Apple stores having android phones and employees of Samsung stores having iPhones. Does that mean anything?

Nope. Absolutely nothing.

Lol. I believe ATT might have staff who do not know about Microsoft products, but not Microsoft.

If you went to buy a Toyota would you accept the sales rep saying I only drive Mazda??

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

Talking crap!!! When cloning humans exists let me know. You're 1/ ONE/ UNO out of the hundreds of MS sales reps that probably don't own a daily driver WP, so you saying that does not say you were the rep he/she was referring to. There are thousands of instances where customers go to buy a WP and the reps don't know jack ****. I do believe that the employees know that the MS WP OS is not up to par with IOS and Android and as such know it's useless to use it at this stage knowing it's limitations. When MS releases an OS version for WP10 that anyone using it can say "yes I like or love this" then we have to accept what's happening now. Don't ever talk using yourself to govern many others who don't.

RagingTyga

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I've worked at 5 stores, Bethesda (holiday kiosk), King of Prussia (Specialty Store), Tyson's Corner, Pentagon City, Lennox Square Mall in Atlanta, and Now the Full line at Bethesda, MD. Now I am not the 1-UNO out of hundreds that use a WP as it's daily driver. Yes there are some who prefer iOS or Android as their phone, MANY simply used it because they are on carrier where the phone they want isn't offered. Now, despite experience, I digress you could find an employee that maybe doesn't care. Or one that that is new and isn't fully trained, but they are far outnumbered by employees that do and are trained, and I'll gladly stick my neck out and argue that point to death. Also, the point YOU are trying to argue, can be point INVERSELY. You had ONE rep who you didn't know the answer to his question, therefore made a blanket statement to the reps as a whole, thus garnering my response.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've worked at 5 stores, Bethesda (holiday kiosk), King of Prussia (Specialty Store), Tyson's Corner, Pentagon City, Lennox Square Mall in Atlanta, and Now the Full line at Bethesda, MD. Now I am not the 1-UNO out of hundreds that use a WP as it's daily driver. Yes there are some who prefer iOS or Android as their phone, MANY simply used it because they are on carrier where the phone they want isn't offered. Now, despite experience, I digress you could find an employee that maybe doesn't care. Or one that that is new and isn't fully trained, but they are far outnumbered by employees that do and are trained, and I'll gladly stick my neck out and argue that point to death. Also, the point YOU are trying to argue, can be point INVERSELY. You had ONE rep who you didn't know the answer to his question, therefore made a blanket statement to the reps as a whole, thus garnering my response.

Would you be so kind to tell MS that it's mobile fans are sick of their lies and we don't take the bite anymore?

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
If you went to buy a Toyota would you accept the sales rep saying I only drive Mazda??

That is the expectation of a foolish person if he expects an employee of Toyota to drive a Toyota car. And, if the person still don't see the light, he is definitely not grown up yet to see the difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs