Will there be anything for us at Mobile World Conference?

Ruzzy_wp

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Will there be anything for us at Mobile World Conference? if there's nothing substantial I think I'm done with microsofts mobile os whatever they wish to call it. WM10 is the buggiest bag of crap I have ever used and I have had a Microsoft phone in my pocket since 2002 (14 years possibly longer than some people on here have been alive). Yes I know its a "work in progress" but you cant sell consumers devices running "work in progress" software and wasn't the whole point of windows 10 was that it would be everywhere? so far its on PC's so much for "mobile first"? actually what Nadella meant was "other companies mobiles first" hence why you can get an equal or arguably better experience of Microsoft services on ios and android, maybe they should update the slogan for clarity.

Then theres the app situation, I don't believe that's all microsofts fault as they don't control developers but do you really wonder why developers don't spend the time and money on us? Microsoft were slow to update the original windows mobile to a user friendly experience costing market share at extreme levels, they don't develop for their own platform first or sometimes at all (ever heard of lead by example?). The app situation is down to the market share chicken and egg scenario and will the basic and boring devices brought out since the take over of Nokia mixed with the buggy and infuriating WM10 how will the market share ever increase? Even Joe B has to use another device so he can be interact while on his travels (I don't buy the testing BS). The app issue has got so bad that its not the big ones we are missing (snapchat etc) as we have some 3rd party apps, its the every day smaller niche apps, when you see a sign or something that says "get the app" etc you know there wont be one for us and if there is its normally worse than the others.

Microsoft gave the mobile market to google by insisting on licencing its mobile software rather offering free and making marketing and store revenue (the android model) for so long that it was too late to recover!

Rant over this brings me back to my point, will there be anything for us at MWC and if there is it better be the most amazing finished (including software) device I'm done after 14 years, I don't want my mobile choice to limit my digital/connected life and sadly that's how it feels (for example today I'm automating my home is the a wp of course there isn't). This will leave me in the worst position of all.....................in the market for an android phone :unhappysweat:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No significant showing from Microsoft at MWC this year. It was going to be the low-key launch of the 650, but it looks as though that's been delayed.

mazzmond

Dec 8, 2015
Visit site
I feel your pain. I went to android last year after being with Windows Phone Mobile since version 6.5 (and blackberry before that). I trialed both iOS and android side by side for about 3 months but went with Nexus 6P as my daily phone. I think the iPhone had the best battery life (for my usage patterns) but liked android a bit better. Have a half dozen windows phones still here with a few of them on Windows Mobile 10 hoping that some day I can go back. Honestly though I've gotten pretty comfortable with android and also iOS. I of course prefer Windows but it just isn't as nice of a mobile experience right now. I just gave up on waiting and hey I actually have whatever app I want or need now which is a bonus. I miss live tiles a ton though. Strangely Outlook is better on android than on Windows mobile as well. Hoping someday I can return but not counting on it.

Ruzzy_wp

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I have been looking into android but am struggling to bite the bullet and buy one, I think its likely to be the Nexus 5x. Its oddly hard abandoning the WP/WM because I love the simplicity and design of the OS (when finished and coherent) but I need access to apps/services that without market share WM will never get. Even the fables "surface" phone is too little too late to save the OS.

In my opinion if Microsoft knew wm10 was going to take this long (almost 7 months after windows 10 at this point) and they want the OS to be successful they should have thrown as many recourses at it as possible to make it complete and on a par with the others. Then critically only make it available to new devices including the 950 etc, it may seem harsh but it would have drawn a clear line in the sand. Obviously new high end hardware would be needed and not just high end but ground breaking. Its the only way to save it

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I disagree there. Making Windows 10 Mobile only available to new devices would only serve to make people buy other platforms, it would have been a complete disaster.

Windows 10 Mobile is pretty much complete, there's going to be continuing bug fixes and new features rolling out, exactly as is the case with Windows 10 for computers. Your main complaint here is in terms of apps. This situation isn't wholly down to Microsoft to fix - it's the other companies creating the apps that need to take advantage of the huge userbase that is using Windows 10.

They'd much rather take the lazy approach of expecting people who want their apps to buy hardware that their apps run on rather than trying to gain new users.

So people like you, who would rather quit on Microsoft and take the expensive option of buying a new phone in order to use a few apps...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have been looking into android but am struggling to bite the bullet and buy one, I think its likely to be the Nexus 5x. Its oddly hard abandoning the WP/WM because I love the simplicity and design of the OS (when finished and coherent) but I need access to apps/services that without market share WM will never get. Even the fables "surface" phone is too little too late to save the OS.

In my opinion if Microsoft knew wm10 was going to take this long (almost 7 months after windows 10 at this point) and they want the OS to be successful they should have thrown as many recourses at it as possible to make it complete and on a par with the others. Then critically only make it available to new devices including the 950 etc, it may seem harsh but it would have drawn a clear line in the sand. Obviously new high end hardware would be needed and not just high end but ground breaking. Its the only way to save it

You should just pull the trigger. Not sure where you are, but the promo price for it ends tomorrow. You can always keep your current wp and just keep a watchful eye on what's going on with W10M. That's pretty much what I am doing right now.
I wanted to try out Android for just a week to see how I like it, and just to see how much I'm willing to stick to WM, but that kind of failed because I ended up liking it a lot. However, I still have my 640, it's just no longer my daily driver.

Ruzzy_wp

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I disagree there. Making Windows 10 Mobile only available to new devices would only serve to make people buy other platforms, it would have been a complete disaster.

Windows 10 Mobile is pretty much complete, there's going to be continuing bug fixes and new features rolling out, exactly as is the case with Windows 10 for computers. Your main complaint here is in terms of apps. This situation isn't wholly down to Microsoft to fix - it's the other companies creating the apps that need to take advantage of the huge userbase that is using Windows 10.

They'd much rather take the lazy approach of expecting people who want their apps to buy hardware that their apps run on rather than trying to gain new users.

So people like you, who would rather quit on Microsoft and take the expensive option of buying a new phone in order to use a few apps...

WM10 is far from finished its full and I mean full of bugs and inconsistencies, lets just look at edge its nothing short of horrific on my 640 but hey I'm adding nothing new here everyone knows this is the case. My point was no one wants to buy a half baked product (the sales stats confirm this) focusing on new hardware only as in 950 onwards would have relieved some of the work load. the last non low end phone was the 640 now almost a year old by the time wm10 if officially released for it, it will be over a year old. Can you expect a large software update for a device after a year? the next non low end was the 830 in sept 2014.

I no longer blame developers, if I was them id do the same. Microsoft has too low a market share and continues to make decisions that degrade it further. They don't even develop for their own platform first so why should anyone else?

Last edited:

Ruzzy_wp

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I am going to hang in for a touch longer until WMC at worst if MS sit and do nothing hopefully the announcement of new android handsets will bring some prices down. I will keep my 640 its of no worth resale and that way I can keep an eye on wm10, Nadella s always going to prove bad for MS mobile I just didn't think this bad.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am going to hang in for a touch longer until WMC at worst if MS sit and do nothing hopefully the announcement of new android handsets will bring some prices down. I will keep my 640 its of no worth resale and that way I can keep an eye on wm10, Nadella s always going to prove bad for MS mobile I just didn't think this bad.

Yeah, transitions are rough. Sorry to say, I don't think the price of the 5x will go down because of MWC, but other phones, possibly.