Can't handle small screen phones!

WalrusTangerine

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
My 640 is about as big as I'd like to go. I prefer sub-5" screens as I have small hands but it's hard to find a decent midrange device with anything smaller than 5".

slimchap

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I would once argue that 4inch was the best size of a phone screen, but, after upgrading to a L640XL I see what I've always been missing in terms of screen real estate.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone remember this? The Dell Streak, with a 5" display, criticized for being "too big".
When phones are too big for pockets - CNN.com
Actually go read the story, it's so hilarious now, in today's context. Like all the skepticism about a device without a physical keyboard at the time of the launch of the original iPhone.
Yep, considering my Lumia 640 is that size (and the largest phone I've had so far) it doesn't feel that unusual now, although to be fair this size is already beginning to feel like I'm holding a small tablet to my head than a phone. I can only imagine what the XL version would feel like lol

However, when your phone begins to look like your carrying one of these next to your head, I'm sure we'll all agree that this is the point when they've probably gone a little overboard :grin:

ghetto-blaster.jpeg

skydiverian

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Currently running the Blu Win Jr LTE and the Lumia 830 to hand. The Win Jr is a bit too small for my liking but the 830 is a bit too big. Guess 4.7" is the sweet spot for me. Pity no one makes a good windows phone at that size.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I agree that under 5" is difficult for me to use. I've had the 1520 and the 950xl and loved the size. Sadly, had to go back to Verizon for family plan savings. I'm presently using the htc m8 and really like it; but, it's 5" and barely large enough. Hoping the HP comes to Verizon so I can go back to 5.5" or larger.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh my god. The 1520 ruined me. I was fine in 2013 with my Lumia 920,928, and 1020. Get the 1520, and I'm ruined.
I can't use phones lower than 5 inches. I wanted to buy a Lumia 1020 but then I remembered "it's 4.5 inches" and I was like nah I'm good bro.

Having to use my mom's 4.7 inch HTC phone annoys me which is hilarious considering the fact you would think 0.3 inches wouldn't make a difference.

But even my Lumia icon and Lumia 640, were usable but I found them small too.

I think the sweet pot where I would be fine is 5.5-5.7 inches. My 640xl is 5.7 and my OneTouch fierce xl windows is 5.5 and I am happy with them.)

But I secretly long for a Lumia with 6 inches. Lol

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
To me, it boils down to what you use your phone to do. I used an Xperia Z Ultra as a daily driver for 6 months. 6.44" of real estate. Whenever I'd switch over to my 925, my eyes would have a rough time adjusting initially. Also owned a 1520.3 and that was a fun experience too.

These days, 5.5" is my max. I own a moto Maxx and a Windows M8. I don't need oodles of screen space because I do more basic stuff on my phones these days. My tablet does the heavy lifting.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Also, it matters how the OEM cases the screen. My M8 is bigger than my Maxx with a smaller screen because of the speaker setup. I always liked how moto and LG with their G series tended to get bigger screens in compact bodies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would once argue that 4inch was the best size of a phone screen, but, after upgrading to a L640XL I see what I've always been missing in terms of screen real estate.

That's exactly what many iPhone users said before the 6/6+ were released. In fact, if you go back a couple versions, they would have said that 3.5" was the best size, until the iPhone 5 was released. It's all a matter of what you get used to.

Also, it matters how the OEM cases the screen. My M8 is bigger than my Maxx with a smaller screen because of the speaker setup. I always liked how moto and LG with their G series tended to get bigger screens in compact bodies.

This is one gripe I have against iPhones and most Lumias; the bezels are huge. A few of the Android OEMs are very good at the screen-to-body ratio.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Currently running the Blu Win Jr LTE and the Lumia 830 to hand. The Win Jr is a bit too small for my liking but the 830 is a bit too big. Guess 4.7" is the sweet spot for me. Pity no one makes a good windows phone at that size.

The 735 would be perfect for you. However, you'll have to get an unlocked one, RM-1039.

Allogenes357

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
I have been rockin' my Lumia 1320 for a couple of years and I love large screen cells! No one ever mentions the 1320 and how reliable it works? It's a low key great phone for me. Everybody always talking about specs? Long live Nokia Lumia 1320!:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss