Can't handle small screen phones!

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Since having the 640 at 5 inches and even larger devices on another platform the small screens don't cut it anymore.
The actual preference for me lately is 5.5 or slightly larger.

What about your preference is anything below 5 inches a no-go for you?
(talking about screen size remember) :wink:

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
When I was capable of physically oriented work small screens were preferable because they were not in the way when bending, twisting, or squatting. There is also the chance of impact from heavy objects. I have always had a smaller device for when the 1520 was too big. The 435 is perfect for such activities because of it's small footprint and ruggedness.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Seems like just yesterday I was proudly rockin' my Panda Veer with a 2.6" screen.

veer-hands-on-31.JPG

Fast forward to now when my daily driver is the 1520.3 (yellow, natch) with a 6" FHD screen.

m_Nokia-Lumia-1520-3-624.jpg

I could lay 3 Veers on top of my 1520 if I turned the Veers sideways. :winktongue:

I could run a smaller screen, and I do when I sport my backup phone: a 5" HD display BLU Win HD LTE. I also handle my in laws' 635s regularly. They are 4.5" FWVGA. That's what I really notice, more than screen size. The resolution and pixel density. Honestly, I can look between my 1520 with 1080x1920 and 367ppi to the BLU with 720x1280 at 294ppi and not really miss a beat. But the 635 with 480x854 and 221ppi just looks off to me. It's not the size.

I think much of this is related to the higher quality display that seems to come with a larger screen. We look at the larger screens and they look better because often, they quite frankly are better. IMHO, that is the basis of the bias. At least for me.

Attachments

• a1.jpgb2911bc1-c5f0-4380-bb5b-65f5e973df04Original.jpg
    a1.jpgb2911bc1-c5f0-4380-bb5b-65f5e973df04Original.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 17

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Pixi+ and Panda Veer were my favorite smartphones by far.

You made me tear up a bit with that Veer.

I can't stand large phones. I really desperately want a QWERTY slider/slab with at most a 4" diagonal screen, but midrange or higher specs everywhere. No, the BlackBerry phones are not options due to the cost of entry.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree with @RumoredNow on noticing resolution and pixel destiny. I personally like smaller devices (as in 5" screen and below) but as long it's hd or even full hd, I'm good. Even though I have a Nexus 5x and a 640, I like that they have similar resolutions. I love the smaller phone factor, and weirdly enough, the former having a 5.2" screen doesn't feel big at all.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, I can look between my 1520 with 1080x1920 and 367ppi to the BLU with 720x1280 at 294ppi and not really miss a beat. But the 635 with 480x854 and 221ppi just looks off to me. It's not the size.

I believe at around 300 PPI the human eye cannot see the individual pixels anymore. However, I'm currently using a Nexus 6 with a 6" 2560?1440 pixel (493 PPI) screen, and I notice when anything is smaller and/or lower quality (which is pretty much every phone in existence!). The smaller screen on the Nexus 6P is one of the reasons I did not upgrade to the latest Nexus like I have been doing the last several years. This fall my phone will be 2 years old so I'll probably upgrade again, but unless it's near 6" and high PPI, I will consider it a compromise.

I love the smaller phone factor, and weirdly enough, the former having a 5.2" screen doesn't feel big at all.

Some Android OEMs have done a very good job of getting a larger screen size on a smaller device. iPhones and even some Lumias have very large bezels.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I believe at around 300 PPI the human eye cannot see the individual pixels anymore.

I like that sweet spot at 300ppi. I understand the drive toward 4k, but don't like the battery cost so much. I'm not ready to commit to a 4K screen on my phone when there is none on my wall...

Saijin_Naib

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
iPhones and even some Lumias have very large bezels.
My Lumia 635 has just shy of 1" of empty bezel split evenly between the top and bottom of the front screen. Of course, some room is needed for the mic and the earpiece, but seeing as this device doesn't have a front facing camera, flash, proximity sensor, or even a light sensor, they really could have stood to shrink it down a tad. I would have liked the usability of it a lot more, especially when I'm trying to single-hand hold the stupid thing when I'm in the field working.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I believe at around 300 PPI the human eye cannot see the individual pixels anymore. However, I'm currently using a Nexus 6 with a 6" 2560?1440 pixel (493 PPI) screen, and I notice when anything is smaller and/or lower quality (which is pretty much every phone in existence!). The smaller screen on the Nexus 6P is one of the reasons I did not upgrade to the latest Nexus like I have been doing the last several years. This fall my phone will be 2 years old so I'll probably upgrade again, but unless it's near 6" and high PPI, I will consider it a compromise.

Some Android OEMs have done a very good job of getting a larger screen size on a smaller device. iPhones and even some Lumias have very large bezels.

Moto devices typically have higher screen to body ratios than a lot of other brands, the exception being the Droid Turbo 2. The Lumia 950XL has a good screen to body ratio, but many of the older Lumias did not have good screen to body ratios.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
As I told a friend who went from an iPhone 4s to an iPhone 6s plus, once you go big, you can't go back to anything smaller. I went from a Lumia 925 to a 640 XL & the size was perfect for me and my poor eyesight. No straining to see the screen anymore. I still have a Lumia 635 as a backup phone running W10M and I find myself straining using that phone.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
A lot of times I use my phone one handed, so I prefer 4.7"-5" phones. But with the development of one handed mode for larger screen phones, I may go bigger for my next purchase.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It's funny how you slowly get used to seeing and using larger and larger phones. I remember being in a T-Mobile store not that long ago and while looking at phones I had to do a double take on an iPhone 5 to make sure it actually was an iPhone as it looked so tiny now lol

With regards to screen resolution, I would always be amazed when reading tech forums how phone fans would complain that a phone wasn't released with a 1080p or higher display even if 5 inches or under. I find my Lumia 640 1280x720 perfectly adequate but then again I remember reading an early ebook or two many years ago on a Compaq iPaq that had a 4 inch screen with a resolution of just 320x240! :smile:

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I use my phone solely as a mobile device and most phones are too big for this already. Last night I was walking my dog in the park and texting my wife at the same time, safely. When at home I don't view anything on the piddly little screen of a smartphone--I use a nice, big high-res monitor with a full-sized keyboard and mouse so I can do so comfortably and enjoy the experience. I have no desire to ruin movies watching them on a tiny screen--and yes, your phablet is still tiny. I sit on a comfy couch and watch them on a big screen TV. Size does matter. Small for mobile, desktop size for non-mobile.

phlamethrowre

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I use my phone solely as a mobile device and most phones are too big for this already. Last night I was walking my dog in the park and texting my wife at the same time, safely. When at home I don't view anything on the piddly little screen of a smartphone--I use a nice, big high-res monitor with a full-sized keyboard and mouse so I can do so comfortably and enjoy the experience. I have no desire to ruin movies watching them on a tiny screen--and yes, your phablet is still tiny. I sit on a comfy couch and watch them on a big screen TV. Size does matter. Small for mobile, desktop size for non-mobile.

I have a 55" tv in by bedroom and a Samsung Tab S 10.5 for when I want a tablet. I still prefer a 5.5-6 inch smartphone. Just because you have larger screens doesn't mean you should settle for a little smartphone.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
For me, I like my 3.1 inch square screen on my Q10.
Smaller size makes it easier to grip and have long conversations if needed. It also makes it less likely to drop. I have never dropped this phone.

The screen quality is good enough at 330ppi, which I higher than the current Iphone 6S at 326ppi.

All in all, small high end phones like this is becoming a rarity these days, which is why I am holding on to this. The physical keyboard is an extra bonus.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have a 55" tv in by bedroom and a Samsung Tab S 10.5 for when I want a tablet. I still prefer a 5.5-6 inch smartphone. Just because you have larger screens doesn't mean you should settle for a little smartphone.

Here is the irony with modern smartphones being used for watching movies. Yes, they come with beautiful screens and speakers supposedly utilized for media consumption, BUT

1. Most people are on a limited data plan, they would not dare use it up on FHD or QHD movies on the go. If you were on a wifi network to watch videos, that most likely means you are not mobile. You do not need a "mobile" phone for that.

2. Even if people had the movie on a local storage, it would be very impractical since the battery would not be able to last for the rest of the day. To this day, I have never seen anyone watching a two hour movie on a phone.

Posted via the Windows Central App for BlackBerry 10

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I was a fan of the Palm Pre 2 and it had a small screen. All I did was calls, text, calendar, podcast and email and maybe a few simple games. I still like small screens since they are easier in my pockets. I don'ts surf too much and rarely watch any video. I like small screens.

Sent from my Surface 3

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion